Quantcast $ for food

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Thread: $ for food

Post Thanks / Like

Default $ for food

How much money should I plan for food? Lunch and supper only. 5 days 4 people. 3 sit down all else counter service. Bongos, Hollywood and Vine, Whispering Canyon.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    manutd1 Guest

We are a family of 4.. 2 adults....2 kids. We spent on average 80.00 a day on food. We stayed 7 days. 560-600 for us for food. Snacks also thrown in. I would eat a kids meal often due to just not being overly hungry. We didnt do sit down meals this time. Counter service only. Kids love the 3rd pound burgers..and I do too. A lot of options with counter service. Next time we go....Back to some sit downs. So I would think 600.00 or so for food? Edit.....Well we did eat at some sit downs at M.K., Epcot. We didnt have reservations but got a table easy... La Hacienda San Angel we did eat at this time. Along with Liberty Tree Tavern. I almost forgot those cause we didnt have reservations....just last minute thing.

Post Thanks / Like

We usually do one TS per day. I typically plan for at least $200 per day for my family of 4. CS can easily run $40-50 for a family of 4 if all order adult meals. Add in snacks and a TS meal, and $200 actually might not be enough! Of course it depends on where you eat and what you order. Many times we share meals or just have a light lunch and snacks instead of a full lunch.
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Next Trip: ???

Post Thanks / Like

There was a mention of this on the most recent podcast (episode 77) how folks throw away money with package vacation plans.

Food wise, I call it my 10, 20, 30 plan (at least that's what I think I said - lol).

Plan on $10 for breakfast, $20 for lunch and $30 for dinner - per person or $60 a day. That usually leaves room for snacks, drinks and mickey bars if you don't do fine dining for dinner each night.

Reality with us is breakfast is usually something quick (coffee, Danish, cereal, egg sandwich), Lunch is usually sandwiches or fast food, Dinner is sometimes sit down, but more often than not, it may be something like walk up. If you tend to eat bigger dinners each night, adjust accordingly.

If you end up with money left over great. Far better paying yourself than paying for a plan you don't use.
    John - aka. The Master Control Program
    Owner, Chairman & Chief Imagination Officer - INTERCOT

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    There was a mention of this on the most recent podcast (episode 77) how folks throw away money with package vacation plans.

Food wise, I call it my 10, 20, 30 plan (at least that's what I think I said - lol).

Plan on $10 for breakfast, $20 for lunch and $30 for dinner - per person or $60 a day. That usually leaves room for snacks, drinks and mickey bars if you don't do fine dining for dinner each night.

Reality with us is breakfast is usually something quick (coffee, Danish, cereal, egg sandwich), Lunch is usually sandwiches or fast food, Dinner is sometimes sit down, but more often than not, it may be something like walk up. If you tend to eat bigger dinners each night, adjust accordingly.

If you end up with money left over great. Far better paying yourself than paying for a plan you don't use.
    This is exactly how I plan, usually it's more then enough money.
    Three years in Connecticut and loving it
    Next trip in Jan 2017 I hope!

Post Thanks / Like

We are a family of 4 (2 boys ages 24 and 15) and it astounds me that sometimes $200 per day isn't enough when we go. (I spend about $175 per WEEK on my grocery bill) and we have in-room breakfast before we head to the parks (we bring stuff from home as well as have Garden Grocer deliver some stuff). It's easily $40-$50 for counter service lunches and another $70-$80 for dinner (throw in a couple of cocktails sometimes). Add in a few snacks and drinks throughout the day and the money just disappears! LOL. This next trip I am not going to order a meal for myself, just nibble on everyone else's'. Seems I never eat a full meal anyways so maybe we can save a little money this time. We are only doing one TS meal this next trip (going to Universal) and I"m budgeting about $120 for that one. Crazy!! But we save up and enjoy…..it's the only time I don't blink at spending this type of cash while we are gone.
    Melinda

Trips:

Offsite - June 1997
    WL - October 2008
    POFQ - April/May 2010

RPH - Universal - May 7th-11th 2014
    POFQ - Sept. 27-30, 2014 (just the two of us!)
    Royal Pacific Hotel - Universal - June 27th - July 1st, 2015
    POFQ - Sept 2017

Post Thanks / Like

We had five of us our last trip.

Breakfast was grab and go...so about $35 each day
    Lunch was CS...so that was about $50 each day
    Snack & Drinks...more drinks than anything and they are expensive..$30 each day
    Dinner was TS...including tip was about $200 each day

So we were spending a little over $300 each day on two adults (I am a small eater) and (3) 16 year old boys.....

$63 each person per day......John's formula works!
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

This is the formula we use too, with an add in for an adult beverage a day, so I think we plan on $70/adult per day (the added $10 is for the adult beverage since those seem to hover around $7-$10 depending on what you get).
    Kristina
    "A dream can be a dream come true, with just that spark in me and you" - Figment & Dreamfinder

Oct 2017 WL
    Oct 2014 WL
    May 2013 WL (DS 1st Trip) - Club Level
    Sep 2010 WL
    May 09 WL
    Oct 08 Poly
    Jun 07 WL (Disneymoon)
    Jul 04 WL
    Apr 2000 GF
    1982-1999 Offsite

Post Thanks / Like

Great formula! Spot on advice (as usual).

ºoº Trips ºoº
    86 – Days Inn
    87, 88 – Cocoa Beach/Pelican Landing
    94, 99, 00, 02 – Fort Wilderness Homes/Cabins
    06 - Paradise Pier
    08 - Candy Cane Inn
    11 - Candy Cane Inn
    11 - MK
    11 - DL Paris
    12 - Coronado Springs
    13 - DL/California Adventure
    14 - All Star Movies
    15 - All Star Movies

Post Thanks / Like

If you're like me, you'll use a spreadsheet and have a detailed budget for each day and category.

Then, just multiply the "Total" cell by 1.3, and you'll be pretty close.
    First Trip ¨¨*:•
    Fort Wilderness Resort and Campground - June, 1974

Last Trip ¨¨*:•
    Port Orleans/Saratoga Springs - March, 2017

Next Trip ¨¨*:•
    Bay Lake Tower - March, 2018

And about 40 more in between....

Post Thanks / Like

Wink

Love John's advise.

We tend to eat a few more TS and tend to allot $75 per day per person. We eat fabulous meals when we vacation and this doesn't have us unhappy at all.
    Shannon

~It's not the number of breaths you take, it's the moments that take your breath away~
    ~You should never take more than you give~ The Circle of Life

Post Thanks / Like

John is right on!!!!

Also, I do a $75-100 order with a food store that delivers (Garden Grocer) for gallon of milk, case or two of water depending on when we go, and grab and go breakfast items. That has worked very well for us. Eating a quick breakfast in the room saves tine and money.

I have to order, because we normally fly and don't rent a car, but if you have a car...go and get! So easy!!!!!

We typically do a counter Service lunch and sit down dinner. Family of 4 with snacks $200 a day if I'm lucky....

Julie
    Next Up:

Summer 2018... WE ARE BACK!!!
    2 families
    4 teenagers and Larry
    Taking on the parks!

Post Thanks / Like

This is pretty much what I do, though my total per person per day is higher. This is due to a few factors-

1. We have a couple of alcoholic beverages per day, and they are usually wine and mixed specialty drinks, which cost more than an average beer
    2. We eat mostly at the more expensive signature dining establishments and usually get appetizers, entree and dessert (though appetizer or dessert is usually split)
    3. We have been known to have sit down for both lunch and dinner
    4. We used Tables in Wonderland

I looked over our slips from our last trip, and we averaged $85-90 per person per day. The secret is to know how you like to eat on vacation when planning your bugdet. I know my sister and I have more expensive tastes, so I plan accordingly. It is better to allot more money than less in my book.
    Christine ºoº

Intercot Staff-Accommodations, Dining, Guests with Special Needs

Please support Intercot's Sponsors

Post Thanks / Like

We have mostly used the Dining Plan even if it is not offered for free when we go. What I do, to see if the dining plan still works for us, is to check out the TS restaurants (that we'll be eating at) and add up what we would order. We very much enjoy a TS meal at the end of a busy day at the parks. For us there is no way for a dinner that WE can get by on $60 for 2 adults. Sometimes we like a glass of wine so that adds a few more $ to the tab.

Breakfast is usually Mickey waffles or eggs and bacon and with drinks that adds up to about $10-12 a day per adult.

Lunch is tricky since we eat at different places within the parks that can offer different items. I usually plan on $12-15 a day per adult.

See what works for you and all will be fine! Have a great time
    First WDW Trip 1984
    30+ Trips since 1984
    Disneyland 4 Visits
    Disneyland Paris 2010
    40th Wedding Anniversary December 2013
    Disney Cruises 2: Magic 2005, Fantasy 2012
    Last Trip November 2019

Post Thanks / Like

When we go off the dining plan, I go online and look at the menus and guess what everyone will order. I always overestimate. I add in tip too, and I prepackage little envelopes for each restaurant or each day in the park. It's my way of preplanning costs- essentially the dining plan without the dining plan! I like that we can get whatever we want and don't have to be constrained to the dining plan.

Have fun planning! It's half the fun!!!
    Haunted Mansion Girl
    1990 & 1992 Off Site
    2002 & 2003 Fort Wilderness
    2004 Disney Wonder & Fort Wilderness
    2005, 2008, 2011 & 2013 Riverside
    2006 & 2008 Pop
    2009 Disneyland
    2011, 2013 & 2014 Coronado Springs
    2012 CB Pirate Room
    2015 POR
    2016 June & Oct Off Site