Quantcast cons to Universal

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default cons to Universal

So far everything is sounding great. What are some of the bad points so that I can be prepared?
    I'll meet you at the Rainbow Bridge.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

OK, I'll take a shot at it

Not enough stuff to do for really young kids. Yes there are areas in the parks that have attractions, shows etc that focus on the youngsters but I think this is an area where Universal is weak and Disney is very strong. That being said, Seuss Landing is great but the Barney, Fievel mouse area is in need of a total re-do.

Islands of Adventure is thrill ride and water ride heavy. If those aren't your thing.... that could taint your experience. Not really sure where Kong and Skull Island will fall but guessing it will be higher on the intensity scale. Again, that said, there are shows, Sinbad, Seuss, Posidens Fury (large scale walk thru adventure) and more await and are fun.

Another negative would if you don't have express pass - lines can get pretty darn long during peak times (of course, the same at Disney).
    John - aka. The Master Control Program
    Owner, Chairman & Chief Imagination Officer - INTERCOT

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    OK, I'll take a shot at it

Not enough stuff to do for really young kids. Yes there are areas in the parks that have attractions, shows etc that focus on the youngsters but I think this is an area where Universal is weak and Disney is very strong. That being said, Seuss Landing is great but the Barney, Fievel mouse area is in need of a total re-do.
    I agree with this, but want to add something. While the number of things may be on the shorter end of the stick I have to point out two things that kept my son busy for hours when he was younger.

Curious George Water Play Area at the Studios
    and
    Jurassic Park Playground at IOA

Curious George: If you have little ones you will have to drag them out of these play areas. On our Universal days I would dress him in a bathing suit and water shoes because they can/will get soaked. We would spend an easy 1 to 2 hours in each spot, with protests when it was time to leave.

Jurassic Park: My son loved the forts, bridges, trails, water guns and jungle feel of this place.

My husband and I made this our "break time" while he ran around and had fun.

Take a look at a you tube video of them because they are pretty cool.

I do find IOA to be on the hotter side. Many areas lack shade.

Lockers are required for some attractions so read up on that before you go. My advice to everyone is not to take anything that won't fit in your pockets if you can. This avoids the whole locker ordeal, especially in the Potter areas. That can get a little ugly.

Trying to think of any other draw backs and I can't...but have to say we only stay on site so I don't know how it would feel without the Express pass.

Just thought of something...Skip the Pternodon Flyers...while it looks cool the line is very very slow and the actual ride is very very short. Don't waster your time.

The SinBAD show is bad.......skip that too! I can't believe this show hasn't been replaced...or at least made better.
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe it is just me, and probably is, but walking from the parking lot through CityWalk, to the entrance of either park is tiresome... I'm ready for a break before I even get inside LOL...
    Son of Jor-El.. Kneel before Zod...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyFreak2002 View Post
    Maybe it is just me, and probably is, but walking from the parking lot through CityWalk, to the entrance of either park is tiresome... I'm ready for a break before I even get inside LOL...

True...I forgot about that....Probably because I haven't had to do it in years. It is a long walk for those not staying on property.
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NJGIRL View Post
    Just thought of something...Skip the Pternodon Flyers...while it looks cool the line is very very slow and the actual ride is very very short. Don't waster your time.
    Plus, you cannot ride unless you have kids.

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyFreak2002 View Post
    I agree. Although it's a unique way to enter, it is definitely tiresome, especially when you are leaving.

Post Thanks / Like

Lockers are required for some attractions so read up on that before you go. My advice to everyone is not to take anything that won't fit in your pockets if you can. This avoids the whole locker ordeal, especially in the Potter areas. That can get a little ugly.
    Does this include cameras? I take my camera everywhere.
    Are there parking spots for strollers that you can just leave diaper bags and such in or do those need to go into lockers also?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
    Plus, you cannot ride unless you have kids.

Really...I have been on it myself before, but that was years ago....I guess they changed that.
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

I agree. Although it's a unique way to enter, it is definitely tiresome
    And hot. That's a lot of wide open pavement to cross before you get to the parking garage. Thankfully the paths to the resorts are fairly well shaded.

Quote Originally Posted by Cinderelley View Post
    Are there parking spots for strollers that you can just leave diaper bags and such in or do those need to go into lockers also?
    If it's a camera on a strap or too big to fit in your pocket, then yes, it will have to go in a locker. And on the rides with the metal detectors it will have to go in a locker, even if it is small enough to fit in your pocket.

There are areas to park strollers at the rides and I'm sure you can leave your stuff in them, although if the lockers are there I would probably use them. I don't think there are always attendants watching the strollers.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

Yes that includes cameras. It's not every ride. But off the top of my head...the HP stuff, MIB, all of the rollercoaster.
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

Really...I have rode myself before, but that was years ago....I guess they changed that.
    From the UOR website:

Located in the Camp Jurassic® play area inside Jurassic Park®, the Pteranodon Flyers enable you to glide and soar through the air to get a prehistoric bird's-eye-view of the surrounding area. Note: This attraction is designed for children 36" to 56" in height. Guests over 56" in height must be accompanied by a child meeting the 36" height requirement. Children between 36"-56" must be accompanied by a Supervising Companion.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree. Although it's a unique way to enter, it is definitely tiresome, especially when you are leaving.
    Oh yes, especially when leaving... I'm so tired by the end of the day, I just want to get to my car and get back to my resort... The walk takes forever... I'll also say I'm the say way leaving Disney parks... I dread the wait you must endure for the buses... I just want to leave and get back as quickly as possible...
    Son of Jor-El.. Kneel before Zod...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

Post Thanks / Like

From the UOR website:

Wow, I have never realized that. The rules have either changed since I was on it or they just let me on anyway. It was years ago and my son didn't ride with me because he was afraid of heights at the time. It's good to know.
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe they knew you were under 56" at heart.

Post Thanks / Like

Another con would be for folks who get motion sickness on simulator type rides. They use this format pretty heavily at Universal. This proved to be a real problem on our last trip and is the reason I will not hurry back to Universal.
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe they knew you were under 56" at heart.
    Good One.
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by faline View Post
    Another con would be for folks who get motion sickness on simulator type rides. They use this format pretty heavily at Universal. This proved to be a real problem on our last trip and is the reason I will not hurry back to Universal.
    Are the simulator rides really jerky?

Post Thanks / Like

Many are.
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

If you are OK with Star Tours you should be OK with the Universal Attractions.
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

For those of us not into so-called "thrill rides" and aggressive water park stuff...... not much there to attract us.

We discussed going this time to see the Harry Potter section stuff on a day away from Disney World........ but decided the $$$$ to basically go and look at some scenery and shop was totally crazy.

I think there are "core markets" for each of those parks....... as it should be.

What is that saying.... "a nice place to visit but I wouldn't want to live there"?

best,

.................john

DVC Member 2016 AKL
    After: October 2019 F+W Fest <Jambo>
    Next: March 2019 Flower and Garden Fest <Jambo>
    Last: August 2018 <Kidani>
    October 2017 F+W Fest <Kidani>
    Also: 1988, 1990, 1992, 1997, 2010, 2012, 2015, 2016
    Disneyland - 1972

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: