Quantcast Canceling our October trip. No dining availability. - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyFreak2002 View Post
    CityWalk restaurants: 30 days out, no stressing 6 months in advance.. and even better, use Open Tables!!!!

There are so many better options off property than Disney sit down service...
    Quote Originally Posted by 1DisneyNut View Post
    This is what we have been doing for about 5 years now for sit down nicer dinners. We haven't eaten at a table service restaurant in WDW for dinner in years. We despise being tied to ADR's.

We pick a beach and drive over one evening and find a nice seafood restaurant. We go hit places on International Drive. We go over to City Walk at Universal and eat at their restaurants. We have had some really good meals and experiences over the past several years.
    I'm interested to hear some of your recommended off-site restaurants...
    DL 1976, 1984, 1989
    WDW 08.2006, 10.2008, 12.2010, 10.2015

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by elorac View Post
    I'm interested to hear some of your recommended off-site restaurants...
    At citywalk we have really enjoyed Margaritaville and Bubba Gump's. We always hit those in whatever tourist town we are in that has them and have been to quite a few of their locations. They have been great every time.

On International drive one of our favorites is Miller's Ale House. The food is always pretty good but the main draw is the happy hour drink/appetizer specials and their wide selection of draft beers. We have been here a number of times. Where else can you get a really good grilled Mahi Mahi for under $16?

We also go to BB Kings in the Pointe Orlando shopping center on International Drive close to the convention center. This is one of our favorites. You have to try the pile of Nachos with jalapeno's and Memphis BBQ. Plus they have great live music if you enjoy that sort of thing.

We haven't made it there yet but everybody highly recommends The Oceanaire at The Pointe. It is next on our list.

Outside of that we have eaten at excellent seafood restaurants in many of the major beaches that are within 1 to 1/2 hour drive from Orlando. Places like Daytona, Cocoa Cocoa beach, Tampa Bay, Clearwater beach, St. Petersburg, Melbourne Beach, etc. I can't remember the names of the restaurants off the top of my head since we have only eaten at them once. Typically what I do is I look at reviews on Yelp and get a short list of possible places and then when we get to the beach we ask a couple of locals what "The Seafood Restaurant" in the area is and it is nearly always one of the ones on my list and that is the one we hit.

It may be hard for those that don't ever venture off WDW property to believe but these are quite often the highlights and most memorable parts of our trips.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a horrible time every year with this, but am usually able to get most eventually. It's just having to spend so much time trying is very annoying.
    I hope you write/email to Disney and let them know this.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you 1DisneyNut. I am planning on getting a 13 week contract in Florida next year, so it will be fun to try these restaurants.
    I'll meet you at the Rainbow Bridge.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
    I really encourage folks to look outside those big 5 or 6 'popular' restaurants and try some new things. You might find some new favorites!
    THIS. There are about 75....yes 75....table service restaurants on WDW properties. Branch out! Go eat at Boardwalk! Go try Olivia's at Old Key West! Venture over to the Swan or Dolphin and try one of those out! There are so many places to try. Our last trip (which, granted, was only 3.5 days) we didn't eat at a single place we had been before. We tried Narcoosee's, The Plaza, Trattoria al Forno, and the Fork and Screen at DTD. Had a great time!
    2002 - 2022: 20+ visits (POR, BW, All Stars, VWL, CSR, BLT, BC, SSR, CB, Dolphin, OKW, Poly, offsite x8)
    DL - 1996, 2019
    Next up - January 2023 short trip! We just want to try that 50th Anniversary chocolate monstrosity at Mexico!

Post Thanks / Like

I generally try something new each trip, but I can understand the OP's point of view. There are some restaurants that my kids ask for each time we go, and it would be a huge disappointment for all of us if we couldn't eat there. Family traditions are important.
    I'll meet you at the Rainbow Bridge.

Post Thanks / Like

I can identify with this disappointment. Food is often times the best part of my day at any time of the year, so when on vacation (and especially at WDW) it's as important as the other experiences, whether it's lounging on the beach or enjoying attractions. I am also a creature of habit, and I have my usual favorites at WDW and it is rather a let down to look forward to returning to a spot I love I haven't been to in a few years only to find at 180 days out it's not available. Now, I would not cancel my vacation over that.

However, it's within your right to do so and I won't pass judgement on your decision. It's already cancelled, right? If you haven't cancelled yet, or thinking about rebooking during another busy time, I would encourage you to think about some other options on property-

Have you thought about visiting the lounges that serve food? These are typically located at deluxe resorts and are usually adjacent to the signature restaurants. While a limited menu and mostly appetizers, they come from the same kitchen and are most times the same dish you'd get at the restaurant. For example, you can get some 'Ohana and Kona Cafe favorites at Tambu Lounge in the Poly, and I think some of the same items at Artist Pointe are available at the lounge in Wilderness Lodge. No reservations needed, and they tend to be quieter than many sit-down places.

While I love my "regular stops" I challenge myself to try at least one new table service restaurant for breakfast and one new one for lunch/dinner each trip. Next trip if I can't get breakfast at Kona (my favorite and a very popular one with crowds) I will book lunch or dinner there instead and try something new. I'll couch that meal with breakfast at a favorite place so I still get a sense of what's familiar to me.

It's really unfortunate that WDW vacations are such a production nowadays. I've found that if you can be moderately flexible with plans, even when you plan as far in advance as possible, you can make it work. You're obviously very frequent visitors so don't let this deter you - if you can't get something this time around you can always try again next trip. I always try to leave something undone so I have a reason to go back!
    ~Nikki~
    Last Trip: February 2024
    Next Trips: April 2024

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azcavalier View Post
    THIS. There are about 75....yes 75....table service restaurants on WDW properties. Branch out! Go eat at Boardwalk! Go try Olivia's at Old Key West! Venture over to the Swan or Dolphin and try one of those out! There are so many places to try. Our last trip (which, granted, was only 3.5 days) we didn't eat at a single place we had been before. We tried Narcoosee's, The Plaza, Trattoria al Forno, and the Fork and Screen at DTD. Had a great time!
    This is how we are as well. The only thing which is repeated each trip is departure day breakfast at the Grand Floridian Cafe and we don't usually book that until the day before. Narcoossee's a family favorite, but we make it a point of going there every other year to keep it fresh. There was a thread a while back (I'll try to find it) asking of what restaurants did you still want to try. When I started to make my list, I was amazed at how many places I had left to try, and we are always trying new things every trip! Now with the new restaurants in Disney Springs, which I can honestly say interest me more than most of the offerings at CityWalk, the list will only get longer.

We almost never book ADRs until a couple of weeks out, but we almost never want to eat at one of the 5 or 6 uber popular places. If we do, those are booked early, but it is just those 1 or 2 places. We are usually a party of 2 or at most 3. Your party size make a big difference, as well as when you are going. Even without Free Dining, Fall is much busier now, with the Halloween Party and Food and Wine.
    Christine șoș

Intercot Staff-Accommodations, Dining, Guests with Special Needs

Please support Intercot's Sponsors

Post Thanks / Like

It has to be a computer glitch, I am going the same week and got all my dining with no problem, including many hard to get restaurants like O'Hana, California Grill and Le Cellier. I even got a table for six at the newly opened Boathouse in Downtown Disney which suprised me.

I think all in all the booking is much better now that people cannot double book and clog up all the reservations and also having to put a credit card down helps with people booking willy nilly.

I would try again or call directly.
    Disney Villas 1986/CR 1988/Dolphin 1992/POR-GF 1996/WL 1997/CBR 1999/WL 2001/BC 2003/POFQ-HHR 2004/BWV-VWL 2005/POLY 2006/ AKL 2006/YC 2007/Wonder-BCV 2008/WL-BLT 2009/POLY 2010/BWV-Dream 2011/CSR 2012/ YC 2013/YC 2014

Post Thanks / Like

I have to say that this isn't something I would cancel over. I understand we all have different ideas of what makes our WDW trip ideal. We love having great meals there and try to get a mix of old favorites and new places. But, as someone pointed out there are so many options! If you haven't cancelled yet, I would bet you still have a good chance of booking some great, fun meals.
    Susanne

Post Thanks / Like

Default T-Rex

If you don't mind the noise, you can probably get a advanced reservations at T-Rex. Disney does not own or operate this restaurant so you can probably just call (407)828-8739 and get reservations.

We tried for weeks to get reservations on-line for T-Rex and then I read an article on-line stating that Disney does not own this restaurant, so I called and was given several times to choose from when Disney had 3:30 for every and any day.

Hope this helps.
    Travelfanatic1
    2015 - All Star Sports
    2013 - All Star Music
    2012 - Universal (Royal Pacific)
    2010 - Caribbean Beach
    2009 - Caribbean Beach
    2006 - All Star Sports
    2005 - All Star Sports
    2004 - All Star Sports
    2003 - All Star Sports
    1999 - Fort Wilderness

Post Thanks / Like

We just got back from a week at DW.. but I will tell you we booked our ressies at 180 days out and got everything we wanted this time--including BOG.

This is not always the case.. it's hit or miss. There are so many families headed to Disney and the word is out to book at 180 days out. Free dining doesn't help much with that.

We like the whole experience, so for most trips we do not rent a car and use Disney transportation the entire stay. Eating off site doesn't work for us.

So sorry you feel the need to cancel your trip.. that's a bummer. Maybe consider eating off-site like so many have said? Sounds like I'm missing a 'Whole New World' out there.

One trip we made all our ressies at the 180 days mark and then added my son last minute(about 60 days b4 our trip). I just kept checking everyday and was lucky enough to revise all my ressies since we were flexible with the time of the reservation. It can happen if you keep checking.

Good luck with whatever you decide.. and have a great vacation wherever you decide to go!
    2016 May AULANI, 2015, Oct F&W Poly
    2015 May SSR, 2014 BCV 2013 Oct-F&WF POR,2013 May-BLT,
    2012 AKL-Kidani/SSR,2011 BLT/OKW,2010 POR,2009 POR,
    2008 CBR,2005 POR/AKL,2003 CBR,2001 POR/AKL,2000 OffSite

Post Thanks / Like

When I booked my ADRs a few weeks ago, I found if I selected "dinner" not much came up. But I selected "7pm," nearly all restaurants had times. So I think it's a glitch. Try specific times rather than "lunch, dinner, breakfast" and you may find more.
    *Cindy

Sep20 - Yacht Club
    Sep19 - WL Villas
    Sep18 - Contemporary
    Oct17 - Offsite
    Sep16 - POFQ
    Sep15 - Poly
    Sep14 - Disneyland
    Sep13 - Beach Club
    Oct11 - POR
    Sep10 - CBR
    Sep09 - POP