Quantcast What is your Disney "Breaking Point"? - Page 5

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

My breaking point is actually getting close. We are planning three trips this fall/winter but only because our DD is working there as a photo-pass photographer and we want to see her.

We are staying offsite for the first time in many many years. We plan to leave the bubble and see the rest of Florida. We want to see the beach and maybe go to some different places to eat. We are going to Universal for the first time in 21 years! We may even hit the Keys.

The thing with Disney now is the planning. I am a wing it person. I like doing things on a whim. I hate having to plan fast passes and parks and restaurants in advance. I like getting up and saying lets hit Typhoon lagoon and then Epcot and not worry when my ADRs are or FP+ are. I like hanging at the resort, renting a boat or a bike. I like swimming in the pool and sitting by the pool lounge.

This time we will sit by the pool at the house we rented, BBQ and go to the beach. We will visit with our DD on her days off and maybe do the park just a few days.
    Disney Cruise 2017
    AKL 2016
    PORR 2015
    Beach Club 2013
    POP Century August 2011
    Disney Cruise Dream 2011
    Cruise Disney Wonder 2006
    Wilderness Lodge, 04, 06, 08, 10
    Allstar Movies 02
    Allstar Sports 96. 98, 00
    Offsite 2015 x2, 90,89, 85

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by waymickey View Post
    The thing with Disney now is the planning. I am a wing it person. I like doing things on a whim. I hate having to plan fast passes and parks and restaurants in advance. I like getting up and saying lets hit Typhoon lagoon and then Epcot and not worry when my ADRs are or FP+ are. I like hanging at the resort, renting a boat or a bike. I like swimming in the pool and sitting by the pool lounge.

This time we will sit by the pool at the house we rented, BBQ and go to the beach. We will visit with our DD on her days off and maybe do the park just a few days.

Same here and I think those days are pretty much done at Disney. Staying on site at Universal though would afford you that luxury 😎

Its a different world out there with FP and MDM.
    John - aka. The Master Control Program
    Owner, Chairman & Chief Imagination Officer - INTERCOT

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by waymickey View Post
    My breaking point is actually getting close. We are planning three trips this fall/winter but only because our DD is working there as a photo-pass photographer and we want to see her.

We are staying offsite for the first time in many many years. We plan to leave the bubble and see the rest of Florida. We want to see the beach and maybe go to some different places to eat. We are going to Universal for the first time in 21 years! We may even hit the Keys.

That's the whole point. I plan 50 weeks a year at work. I dont want to do it on vacation.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RunDMV View Post
    That's the whole point. I plan 50 weeks a year at work. I dont want to do it on vacation.
    I agree that how much planning you have to do makes it tedious. And I can't, for the life of me, see how Disney markets FP+ as allowing you to be "more spontaneous". But it's not enough to bring my wife to her breaking point. I think that she really loves having the schedule. She's still flexible, and we change up the schedule every time we go, but she still likes the organization of it all.
    2002 - 2022: 20+ visits (POR, BW, All Stars, VWL, CSR, BLT, BC, SSR, CB, Dolphin, OKW, Poly, offsite x8)
    DL - 1996, 2019
    Next up - January 2023 short trip! We just want to try that 50th Anniversary chocolate monstrosity at Mexico!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm a few weeks out from my trip now, and my anger at the Epcot CM has cooled. As the presents I had bought for people were delivered, I realized what a great job most cast members do. The chance that the wrong item could be delivered or something would be broken is always there. Everything was perfect though. One or two bad apples shouldn't give the whole orchard a bad name.

What I can't shake though is how unmagical the atmosphere was. The walk through the castmembers entryway and the sight of construction everywhere still leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I realize those are probably temporary, so I try to put it aside.

Fastpass + is a whole different ball game. I didn't like it. I can't imagine any instances where I might like it. I think it wouldn't be so bad if they had fastpass + and the old machines, so that you could reserve your 3 in advance and use the old system after your first three. You could even just use the old system instead of Fastpass + if you wanted to.

Another thing that is still really bothering me was the lack of photopass photographers, especially in DHS. I paid quite a bit of money for the Memory Maker package, because I wanted plenty of pictures with my friend. In the past, I have had wonderful pictures with friends in many spots along the streets of america. This trip, there wasn't a single photopass photographer there all day long except for the one dedicated to the Cinderella coach. We did have some amazing photographers in AK, but I feel like they should be available like that in all the parks.

I'm also not thrilled with Disney firing its employees to hire people from other countries.
    I'm not ready to completely call it quits on Disney, but I'm perfectly happy with shifting my trips from Disney World to Disneyland.
    I'll meet you at the Rainbow Bridge.

Post Thanks / Like

We are just back from a trip that was combo WDW and a cruise on the Fantasy, ending a two-year run where we've gone more than ever. In May 2013 we did a WDW-Fantasy cruise trip; in April 14 we did a few days at DL; in Jan 15 we did a week at WDW, and now the trip that just finished.

This is quite the glut for us.

I kind of got the feeling on this last trip that Gary articulated so well - it's not as completely, purely magical for me anymore and I've wondered if it's just overexposure. But honestly for me I it's just that we've been taking a little tyke. My son is 4.5 and taking a little one is a lot of work!

When we started going years ago my daughter, now an adult, was eight and easygoing. But a 4yo can take you out of the magic really fast with a tantrum or crankiness or stubbornness or refusing to ride a ride he loved the day before. While in many ways it enhances the trip (watching his response to any number of magical moments), it definitely makes it more like work and thus less a complete break from reality for me.
    "You used all the glue on purpose!"

Post Thanks / Like

The FP+ system. I had a change in my work schedule, and the wife and I thought we'd head down to WDW this week for a short 5 day visit. But after remembering the FP+ an how its changed the system and approach to the park visit, decided to pass. We almost decided on an all Universal/Sea World trip. A lot of the changes have made us spend less money w/ Disney. The worsening bus system, leads us offsite more. DTD cluser fuss, makes us avoid it altogether. We usually drop a few bucks at the Christmas and the Art store.
    ===================

2016 POR
    2015 CS
    2014 WDW-Offsite
    2014 Disneyland-offsite
    2014 CBR
    2013 Dolphin
    2012 POR
    2012 WDW-Offsite
    2011 ASMusic, POR

1998 Dixie Landings
    1990's, Dixie Landings, Misc Offsite

Post Thanks / Like

This year (Nov) will be the last with all my "kids" - the oldest is a senior in high school next year. I fear it will be my breaking point until I get grand children.
    Nov15-MVMCP; Mar12-Poly!; Dec11-MVMCP; Dec10-MVMCP; Oct10-CBR; May10-WL; Oct07-10k Race4Taste; Jul07; May07-5k Minnie; Jan07; Dec06-MVMCP; Oct06-ASM MNSSHP; Feb06-Poly!; Dec04; Nov02

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DadTriton View Post
    This year (Nov) will be the last with all my "kids" - the oldest is a senior in high school next year. I fear it will be my breaking point until I get grand children.
    Doesn't have to be. This year, my oldest graduated. But my 15 year old and 10 year old still want to come. I'm sure we'll come back, year after year.
    2002 - 2022: 20+ visits (POR, BW, All Stars, VWL, CSR, BLT, BC, SSR, CB, Dolphin, OKW, Poly, offsite x8)
    DL - 1996, 2019
    Next up - January 2023 short trip! We just want to try that 50th Anniversary chocolate monstrosity at Mexico!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DadTriton View Post
    We took two "Parents Only" trips between the time when my daughter got married and our upcoming "With the Kids and Grandkids Trip!" It took us that long to get grandkids. lol!
    "There's a great big beautiful tomorrow shining at the end of every day..."

1973- Disneyland
    1981- WDW- OS
    1991- WDW- OS
    1995- WDW- CBR
    2000- WDW- DLR
    2001- WDW- ASM
    2009- WDW- POFQ
    2010 (November)-WDW POR
    2015 (December...with the grandkids)WDW ASM
    2019- WDW- POR

Post Thanks / Like

Well I guess we have hit our breaking point. We've been at least once a year, often times more, since around 2002. As of now our last trip to Disney was November 2013.

While I miss it a lot, and think about it often, my last few trips just weren't as enjoyable as they once were. Perhaps it's become too familiar. Maybe it's because I don't vacation well with the way Disney has evolved as of late. But I know that our last two trips did not "wow" me like it used to. The kids, while I am sure they will always have a special place in their hearts for Disney, seemed kinda "over it" on those last few trips.

I am a planner by nature. However, I don't like the amount of pre planning that needs to go into a Disney vacation these days. Add that to our last few not so magical trips, and it just kinda lost it's luster....for now. I have no doubt that we will be back. Hoping to try and go next summer, as a matter of fact. Just really needed an extended break.

Instead we are trying now to focus on Disney destinations we haven't been to yet, or have not visited often. I just booked Vero Beach for later this summer (with one night in Disney World to eat at Ohana's and shop at Basin for bath bombs-lol). We are also currently booked for Disneyland this December. And I am hoping to plan Hilton Head Island next 4th of July. If we can swing it next year my mom and I may take the kids to WDW the first week they are out for summer while my hubby is away at military training. Or we may do Universal that week instead...... And we are using this time to try and see non Disney related places. With a 15 and a 13 year old we feel like time is running out on us to have different experiences with them before they are off to start their own lives.
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Next Trip: ???

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by buzznwoodysmom View Post
    I have no doubt that we will be back. Hoping to try and go next summer, as a matter of fact. Just really needed an extended break.
    I would argue you haven't broken yet. Not if you're planning to go back.

I'm with you, which is what prompted me to start the thread. I'm feeling less excited, less "magical" with our trips. But we still have at least two planned (this fall and next fall), and by sheer coincidence i'm attending a conference at Coronado Springs in November. But after next fall, we'll see.
    DL - 1996, 2019

Post Thanks / Like

1.) WDW closes down
    2.) They stop offering pay monthly for passes [it's the only way we can do it as a lower middle class family]
    3.) Jesus returns

I've been going to WDW [as a Florida resident] for the last 15 years at least monthly and it has never lost it's magic.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azcavalier View Post
    I would argue you haven't broken yet. Not if you're planning to go back.
    Well, maybe we haven't! However, to go from our trips averaging every 6-9 months for over 10 years to an almost 2 year dry spell must mean we've gotten to some point!
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Same here and I think those days are pretty much done at Disney. Staying on site at Universal though would afford you that luxury ��

Its a different world out there with FP and MDM.

I so agree. Universal is a much "easier" vacation now and I love the fact that no transportation is needed to get to the parks.
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

I'm pretty close. Week before last we went to WDW for the first time in almost 5 years. First time with MDE and FP+. We went primarily for Star Wars weekends, and enjoyed that. But our visit to the MK was not very magical. We did a few things, but given the heat and the crowds (40 minute wait for TTA?!), we only spent a few hours there. We used our FP+ and went on a couple of other rides, but missed a lot because the lines were simply too long. I realize we were entering summer season (we usually go during school times, but this trip we went with friends who have kids), but it just didn't make me want to go back anytime soon.

I have a lot of other places to spend money going to. In the future, I'll probably plan Disney parks trip mainly based on special events like Star Wars Weekends, Food & Wine, etc. (if that).
    12/99-All-Star Sports * 5/01-POR * 4/02-AKL * 5/03-DL * 5/04-POFQ * 2/05-POR * 5/05-offsite * 10/05-WL * 12/05-DL * 2/06-offsite * 12/06-POP * 4/07-Coronado Springs * 10/07-WL * 4/08-POFQ * 5/10-POFQ * 7/12-DL * 2/14-DL * 6/15-YC

Next Trip ???

Post Thanks / Like

we are using this time to try and see non Disney related places. With a 15 and a 13 year old we feel like time is running out on us to have different experiences with them before they are off to start their own lives.

Denise.. IMO this is so important. If you can afford to travel with the kids, it will be something they will never forget. We have traveled with my now 17 years old son, in and out of the country, since he was young. He has been able to experience so much. I think it is one of the best things we have done for him. He still talks about all of the places we have visited and the cool things he has seen. Adventures that a theme park can't give you. A lot of once in a life time trips. So if you can, take them different places in between your Disney trips. You won't be sorry.

....and No, going to EPCOT is not the same as visiting the real Italy, Canada, or Mexico ....not even close.
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

While I miss it a lot, and think about it often, my last few trips just weren't as enjoyable as they once were. Perhaps it's become too familiar. Maybe it's because I don't vacation well with the way Disney has evolved as of late. But I know that our last two trips did not "wow" me like it used to. The kids, while I am sure they will always have a special place in their hearts for Disney, seemed kinda "over it" on those last few trips.
    I think for most people (except for the most avid) it can get too familiar. This is especially true if one of the biggest draws is the actual rides as opposed to just a love of Disney, Walt, the sense of being in another world etc. Disney changes slow and a lot of the appeal is the atmosphere more than thrilling rides. And I love the atmosphere. I can happily wander around Epcot and do absolutely nothing but those are not the visits where my kids come. And yeah when you go as much as we do, it becomes routine and sometimes we grow out of that and need a break. As kids grow older the trips change too. My kids are still only 7 and 9. My son is not a thrill ride kid at all so Disney still works for him but a lot of kids want to move up to the more exciting rides. I've found with many of my friends as the kids get into that 12-16 range, they start to prefer Universal or Busch or something similar.

Instead we are trying now to focus on Disney destinations we haven't been to yet, or have not visited often. I just booked Vero Beach for later this summer (with one night in Disney World to eat at Ohana's and shop at Basin for bath bombs-lol). We are also currently booked for Disneyland this December. And I am hoping to plan Hilton Head Island next 4th of July. If we can swing it next year my mom and I may take the kids to WDW the first week they are out for summer while my hubby is away at military training. Or we may do Universal that week instead...... And we are using this time to try and see non Disney related places. With a 15 and a 13 year old we feel like time is running out on us to have different experiences with them before they are off to start their own lives.
    I think you have a great plan. I love Vero. It still has that Disney atmosphere but is totally different than a park visit and Disnelyland is a a great experience. And different is good. For the last 7 years we usually do day trips plus stay at WDW 3-5 times a year. The last year or so I have started to try to mix it up. There are so many great places to visit. I don't think letting Disney be for awhile has to mean that you are at a "breaking point" as much as it means it is time to explorer something else.
    Cindy aka AgentC
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations, Dining, Movies, TV, Music & Musicals

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NJGIRL View Post
    Denise.. IMO this is so important. If you can afford to travel with the kids, it will be something they will never forget. We have traveled with my now 17 years old son, in and out of the country, since he was young. He has been able to experience so much. I think it is one of the best things we have done for him. He still talks about all of the places we have visited and the cool things he has seen. Adventures that a theme park can't give you. A lot of once in a life time trips. So if you can, take them different places in between your Disney trips. You won't be sorry.

....and No, going to EPCOT is not the same as visiting the real Italy, Canada, or Mexico ....not even close.
    Rita, I agree with everything you said! My kids have not traveled outside the country yet, but they have been to well over half of the US states. Some states, multiple cities/destinations. Travel has always been a part of their lives. And while Disney has been great, we have some pretty amazing memories from those trips, the rest of the country has some petty amazing places to see as well!
    Denise

Post Thanks / Like

Rita, I agree with everything you said! My kids have not traveled outside the country yet, but they have been to well over half of the US states. Some states, multiple cities/destinations. Travel has always been a part of their lives. And while Disney has been great, we have some pretty amazing memories from those trips, the rest of the country has some petty amazing places to see as well!
    That's great! We have so much to see in this country. I'm sure your boys love it too!
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: