Quantcast Is the Yeti still not working?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Is the Yeti still not working?

My hubby was curious as we were watching a Disney World show this morning if the Yeti in Expedition Everest is working yet. He has never been to Disney World before and I was explaining to him that the Yeti is a really cool feature of that ride but stopped working a while ago. He was perplexed as to why Disney wouldn't fix something like that if it's such a cool feature... I told him we've all been wondering that for a while now!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I'll let those more knowledgeable than I explain why the arm of the Yeti stopped working and why they haven't been able to fix it. They've installed clever strobe-like lighting to make it appear that he's moving, but I can confirm that as of last month, the Yeti is still down.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

I watched the same thing this morning on the history channel. They mentioned something about building everything at the same time. So I assumed since the built the Mountain around the yeti they had no way to get it out. But why repairs can't be made I don't really understand. That clip made it look really cool and we went shortly after it first opened and my husband said it did actually look like that. Its a shame they don't get it back up and running.
    Yacht Club May 2015
    AoA Holiday 2013
    Pop Century May 2012, July 2011, May 2008, and May 2006
    All Star Music Sept 2007
    All Star Movies May 2006
    Many Trips as a Child Contemporary, Polynesian, Grand Floridian, Swan, Dolphin, and Board Walk

Post Thanks / Like

Yeti is not fixed... There are plans to fix it, but no one wants to pay for it... And the plans they have actually involves no down time.. Imagine that huh?
    Son of Jor-El.. Kneel before Zod...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyFreak2002 View Post
    Yeti is not fixed... There are plans to fix it, but no one wants to pay for it... And the plans they have actually involves no down time.. Imagine that huh?
    Ya know if it was up to me (assuming I was a Disney executive) I would have it fixed for Avatar opening. Just think Avatar, night time show and Yeti that works AK would be packed.
    Three years in Connecticut and loving it
    Next trip in Jan 2017 I hope!

Post Thanks / Like

From what I remember reading, the Yeti itself is actually operable. The problem is the steel frame structure and foundation that supports the Yeti was not designed substantial enough for the constant forces of the moving Yeti which led to stress fractures. If you had seen it in motion, you would realize it swings its arms and moves fairly quickly which creates substantial forces, especially since the yeti is quite massive.

There are 3 structures in expedition everest: the ride, the yeti and the mountain that covers it all and they are all separate. The yeti being surrounded by the web of steel supporting the other structures makes it difficult to access for repairs and upgrades.

They should be able to make the repairs without shutting down the ride if they can get to the areas necessary without having to remove pieces or affect the other two structures. I have no idea if that is possible or not so we would have to wait and see. My guess is, they are at least concerned that they might possible have to shut the ride down for an undetermined amount of time once they got in and started working. With Animal Kingdom not having much else to offer and being skipped over by guests already, they don't want to risk having to close Expedition Everest.

I would think that at this point, they are waiting to get Avatar Land open and running so guests will have their attention drawn in that direction and won't miss EE if it does have to go down.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1DisneyNut View Post
    The yeti being surrounded by the web of steel supporting the other structures makes it difficult to access for repairs and upgrades.
    Not true... They can access it easy...

They should be able to make the repairs without shutting down the ride if they can get to the areas necessary without having to remove pieces or affect the other two structures.
    As stated, they have a plan, a plan which would require not shutting down the ride...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the replies, everyone!!! I guess it makes sense that they may not be able to get to it to make the repairs it needs, and it also makes sense that they're waiting until Avatar Land opens to divert attention elsewhere. I remember riding it right after it opened and it was such a cool feature of the ride, so hopefully they can get it fixed at some point soon!!!

Post Thanks / Like

As stated, they have a plan, a plan which would require not shutting down the ride...
    Hmmmm. I'm going with 1DisneyNut on this one. He is essentially correct in his description of the mountain structures. The three structures (mountain, ride track and yeti base) are each massive, and do not touch each other.

Most of the interior is a cavernous space containing a network of steel support beams and columns (I've been in there many times). There are several access platforms and metal stairways at the upper levels. There is a single enclosed stairway going up 14 flights from the floor level to a level near the top of the "B" lift. There is no elevator.

While most of the interior appears spacious, the portion of the ride path containing the yeti structure is relatively narrow. In that area there is only room for the huge yeti structure, the track, and a walkway. The yeti itself looms above.

So if the yeti base has to be rebuilt, which seems to be the case, then there must access for heavy equipment and vehicles. There would also likely be a considerable amount of debris associated with the removal of the old base, followed by the building of a new steel and concrete structure (I'm not an engineer, so one of you engineers out there might want to comment on this).

I don't see how all of this can be accomplished without shutting down the ride for an extended period of time. And the ride CMs are being told the same thing unofficially (no one is saying anything offically). EE is obviously a major attraction with high appeal for AK visitors. The thinking among the CMs is that the ride shutdown and repairs will have to wait until Pandora is open.
    Ron
    INTERCOT Staff
    WDW Cast Member
    Expedition: Everest
    Kali River Rapids

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WDWdriver View Post
    Hmmmm. I'm going with 1DisneyNut on this one. He is essentially correct in his description of the mountain structures. The three structures (mountain, ride track and yeti base) are each massive, and do not touch each other.

Most of the interior is a cavernous space containing a network of steel support beams and columns (I've been in there many times). There are several access platforms and metal stairways at the upper levels. There is a single enclosed stairway going up 14 flights from the floor level to a level near the top of the "B" lift. There is no elevator.

While most of the interior appears spacious, the portion of the ride path containing the yeti structure is relatively narrow. In that area there is only room for the huge yeti structure, the track, and a walkway. The yeti itself looms above.

So if the yeti base has to be rebuilt, which seems to be the case, then there must access for heavy equipment and vehicles. There would also likely be a considerable amount of debris associated with the removal of the old base, followed by the building of a new steel and concrete structure (I'm not an engineer, so one of you engineers out there might want to comment on this).

I don't see how all of this can be accomplished without shutting down the ride for an extended period of time. And the ride CMs are being told the same thing unofficially (no one is saying anything offically). EE is obviously a major attraction with high appeal for AK visitors. The thinking among the CMs is that the ride shutdown and repairs will have to wait until Pandora is open.

This analysis matches what I've heard as well. All of us would love for it to be working properly and are disappointed it was possibly constructed in a way that would create future problems. However, considering this is the premier ride-based attraction at DAK right now, I just don't see them shutting it down for a refurbishment until Pandora is up and running.
    1979 - WDW Contemporary Resort
    1982 - Disneyland
    1988 - WDW Contemporary Resort
    1996 - WDW Disney Villas
    1999 - WDW Disney Institute
    2002 - WDW Port Orleans Riverside
    2004 - WDW Coronado Springs
    2008 - WDW Port Orleans Riverside
    2010 - Disneyland
    2015 - WDW Coronado Springs

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BKBrinkman View Post
    . However, considering this is the premier ride-based attraction at DAK right now, I just don't see them shutting it down for a refurbishment until Pandora is up and running.
    That is essentially what I have heard.
    "Welcome, Foolish Mortals..."

Post Thanks / Like

As far as accessing it easy, walking in and putting your hands on it is one thing, getting equipment such as fork lifts and cranes is another if required.

Quote Originally Posted by WDWdriver View Post

Some say they have a plan to make the repairs without closing the ride, others say it has to be closed.

From an engineering standpoint, it depends on what the damage is that must be repaired and how extensive. Like most things, it will most likely be worse than expected once they dig into it and start removing. If it is fractured steel members, it might require temporary support while structural members are replaced and repaired. This would require heavy machinery and perhaps a temporary structure.

If it is the foundation, it could get really ugly requiring the structure to come down or at least some sort of temporary support while the foundation is removed, repaired or replaced.

Either way, I would prefer they let us know they are working on it if it stays open so I will know not to get within about 1000 yards of the mountain. You guys you can ride if you want but I am not getting on or near any steel structure while structural members or the foundation is being worked on.

I can't imagine there is any way on earth they would actually allow people to ride while the repairs are being made.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1DisneyNut View Post
    As far as accessing it easy, walking in and putting your hands on it is one thing, getting equipment such as fork lifts and cranes is another if required.
    I had a paragraph written about accessing the yeti, the room he is in, accessing the foundation, etc... I rather leave it deleted... As I noted below, I'm calling the person I got the info from last time... As per my original post:

I put a call into someone who has knowledge of the situation... the same person I originally got this info from... I'll confirm with him or her once again...

Post Thanks / Like

Surely they must have planned for a way to get equipment in. Everyone in that type of work that I know plans for these things ahead of time. No one believes that anything lasts forever.

I'm not able to ride EE, but I know a lot of people like the yeti. To me, it seems more like the mindset is "well, people are going to ride Expedition Everest anyway. Why shell out the money?"
    I'll meet you at the Rainbow Bridge.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cinderelley View Post

To me, it seems more like the mindset is "well, people are going to ride Expedition Everest anyway. Why shell out the money?"
    I think it is more that the yeti not working does not substantially change the ride. Similar to how they do not shut down small world when one of the dolls get stuck.

I mean it is not like the yeti not moving is the same as the projector not working on in Soarin'.
    "Welcome, Foolish Mortals..."

Post Thanks / Like

Problem is, they continue to advertise a moving yeti... He is the centerpiece of the ride... he is the main attraction... Not having a working yeti is bad show... No matter what the general public thinks or cares about...

Remember this is Disney, not Six Flags... Disney, where show always matters... Where, even when 1 AA went down, the ride was taken down to get things back to show ready... Today? Eh, good enough is good enough no matter how ghetto things look or get... Remember they kept Splash Mountain running when half the attraction AA's were down...

Still waiting on the call back...

Post Thanks / Like

While I agree with you DizneyFreak2002 in business terms, I also know that people's vacation memories do not rely on working AA. It is all about the feelings they had with their loved ones and moving AA parts don't affect that for the vast majority of people. The ride experience itself doesn't change much whether the Yeti works or not or if the dolls in It's a Small World work or not. So, there is little motivation for Disney to cut into their profits to fix these things.

There have been several times when the dragon in Fantasmic didn't work. I was quite disappointed when I didn't get to see it, but it is outweighed by the fun of everything else with my friends and family. It wasn't enough to keep me from going back, which in the end is why they get away with it. People keep coming. Most of them are people who don't even realize that things aren't as magical as they used to be.

Eventually though, they will reach a point where people aren't willing to pay the prices they are charging for the lack of magic they are providing. My kids are in that group. They loved it when we went while they were younger. Now, they do want their significant others to experience it once, so we are planning a big family trip in 2017. They want to also visit Universal Orlando at the beginning of the trip and stay onsite there. They never wanted to visit anywhere else, much less stay offsite. They say they are done with it after that trip unless my daughter decides to get married there. After showing WDW to their fiancee's one time, they're perfectly happy with occasionally going to Disneyland and having family trips somewhere else. My boys talk about how expensive it is to go, and they aren't even the ones paying.
    I'll meet you at the Rainbow Bridge.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cinderelley View Post
    While I agree with you DizneyFreak2002 in business terms, I also know that people's vacation memories do not rely on working AA. It is all about the feelings they had with their loved ones and moving AA parts don't affect that for the vast majority of people. The ride experience itself doesn't change much whether the Yeti works or not or if the dolls in It's a Small World work or not. So, there is little motivation for Disney to cut into their profits to fix these things.
    So then why bother themeing things to the hilt? Doesn't matter right? Quests only care about the feeling on the ride/attraction, not the little things which only enhanced the experience.... Heck, I love roller coasters... I love the thrill... I get that from Six Flags... I go to Disney not for the thrills, though they are a welcomed part of the experience, but, for the, you know, themed experience...

Remember when Disney once gave guests what they didn't know they wanted? Remember when Disney did the little things, like a working life-like yeti reaching out to your train as you passed it by? Remember when enhancing the experience was a Disney staple and good enough was laughed at as being lazy and something Six Flags would do?

A working yeti or working AA dolls on Small World does change the experience...

There have been several times when the dragon in Fantasmic didn't work. I was quite disappointed when I didn't get to see it, but it is outweighed by the fun of everything else with my friends and family. It wasn't enough to keep me from going back, which in the end is why they get away with it. People keep coming. Most of them are people who don't even realize that things aren't as magical as they used to be.
    Again, there was a time when the dragon not working at Fantasmic would cause the show to go down for the night or until the dragon was fixed... And again, today, who cares if the dragon, a major part of the show BTW, doesn't work? Something is missing... Bad show... But hey, it is good enough so who cares right? That was never Disney, and not what Disney created... It is bad form and shows contempt for guests...

Eventually though, they will reach a point where people aren't willing to pay the prices they are charging for the lack of magic they are providing. My kids are in that group. They loved it when we went while they were younger. Now, they do want their significant others to experience it once, so we are planning a big family trip in 2017. They want to also visit Universal Orlando at the beginning of the trip and stay onsite there. They never wanted to visit anywhere else, much less stay offsite. They say they are done with it after that trip unless my daughter decides to get married there. After showing WDW to their fiancee's one time, they're perfectly happy with occasionally going to Disneyland and having family trips somewhere else. My boys talk about how expensive it is to go, and they aren't even the ones paying.
    So why don't they want to go back? Cause they are seeing how bad things have gotten? How Disney tries to milk their customers, sorry I can not call them guests cause visitors are no longer looked at as guests but as personal Disney ATM machines... The prices are getting crazy high... Meanwhile the experiences are being dumbed down, removed... Your kids are seeing the light... Obviously a non working yeti means a little something to them, or else, hey why would they care? Seems like they do... I wish more people were like your children...

But reality is, millions will continue to go... And while I won't say it is a problem, at the same time, it is... It gives management the ammunition to stay the course, do things on the cheap in WDW... And it is sad...

I'm not picking on you, so please don't think I am... I understand what you mean in your first paragraph... But just cause it may not matter to guests, doesn't mean management should be little monkeys and play with the, well... They should still care about show, about show quality, about how the parks look... They don't...

Maybe we should start a thread about TDS's major Frozen e ticket attraction in a brand new themed land, while more contempt is shown for WDW visitors by shoehorning Frozen into Norway, where it doesn't belong, and is being done on the cheap... And yet, gets defended as a great move by people in the fan community...

Post Thanks / Like

Problem is, they continue to advertise a moving yeti... He is the centerpiece of the ride...
    I made this same observation a few months back. I am so angered by this! If it hasn't worked for YEARS, how can you continue to advertise the ride, showing a working YETI????? It confounds me that that kind of hypocrisy goes unchallenged. Don't advertise it if you can't deliver it and know it.
    WDW - 99 Off Site
    WDW - 00 C.Springs, Wilderness
    WDW - 01 POFQ, Boardwalk
    WDW - 02 C.Beach, POFQ, AK Lodge
    WDW - 04 Riverside
    WDW - 05 C.Springs
    WDW - 07 Riverside
    WDW - 11 C.Beach
    WDW - 12 POFQ
    WDW - 14 Riverside
    WDW - 15 POFQ
    WDW - 19 Wilderness
    WDW - 20 C.Beach

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrPeetrie View Post
    I made this same observation a few months back. I am so angered by this! If it hasn't worked for YEARS, how can you continue to advertise the ride, showing a working YETI????? It confounds me that that kind of hypocrisy goes unchallenged. Don't advertise it if you can't deliver it and know it.
    Easy:
    1. Marketing has no clue what WDW park ops is doing... Or the condition of the parks/attractions.. They are doing their job though... Making everything look great in ads for WDW, especially when many of the pictures and videos used are stock footage from Disneyland...
    2. Management has contempt for guests and view them as personal ATM machines, idiots, cattle to be herded from one cash register to another...
    3. Show does not matter anymore to WDW management...

Many things with Disney, and in particular WDW, go unchallenged in the fan community because many in the community have a difficult time realizing WDW is not perfect... They view it as a perfect place... Others give the lame excuse that it is a business... Both lame, both poor arguments, and both allow WDW management to rest on its laurels and do nothing of substance...

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: