Quantcast Help me plan!

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Thread: Help me plan!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Help me plan!

We are in the VERY beginning of planning a trip for 2016. Our family is very large (8) so that makes it a little difficult. Here are my early questions:

It looks like our best bet would be DVC due to the size of our party. What is the best way to book? Should I go through a travel agent, rent points from someone or go through Disney directly?

If we stay in a DVC rental, are we eligible for the dining plan?

And, if we get really lucky and free dining is announced for our dates, would we be eligible to add it?

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

The most economic plan for your hotel stay would be to rent points. You can find them on different timeshare resale sites from $12-15/per point. I have found that renting a standard studio is often the same price as getting a value resort hotel directly through Disney. Most of those sites have a calender that will allow you to see the point values for your stay but 2016 is probably not up.

Reservations for DVC rentals cannot be made until you reach the 11 month mark I believe. If you have a resort in mind, I would start talking to the companies about when would the best time to start everything.

Compare the rates for 2 studios vs a 1 or 2 bedroom unit. The point values jump pretty quickly and it can be less expensive to simply get 2 studios. You may lose some amenities, but are you really planning on cooking in your room since you are considering the dining plan? Be aware that you may not be able to get connecting rooms if you go the way of 2 studios.

I believe you could add on a dining plan to your stay once the rental reservation is in place. I do not believe that you would be eligible for free dining as that offer is usually contingent you you paying full price for a hotel room through Disney. WIthout doing the math, I am pretty sure that you would come out ahead renting points and paying for the dining plan for less than making a reservation at the same hotel through Disney.
    It is my dream to one day pilot the monorails around the Seven Seas Lagoon....where's my star!!!

Post Thanks / Like

On the other hand, if you booked 2 standard rooms through Disney, you may be eligible for free dining. The least expensive option is to book 2 value rooms (ask for connecting or joining; there is a difference.) The potential downside is free dining only offers the counter service plan for values and you'd have to pay to upgrade.

Booking 2 moderate or deluxe rooms may make you eligible for the free regular dining plan which offers one table service meal a day.

If you're considering either of these two options, you should also consider using Magical Journeys. They will book your original vacation and then update to free dining if it becomes available at your chosen resort during your vacation time.

I don't know the age of everyone in your party, but 2 rooms will give you 2 bathrooms and 2 TVs. I know my family of 6 prefers the additional bathroom option.
    Genna
    Always Enjoy the
    ¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨Magic¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨

"Now approaching, Mickey's Star Traders"

If You Can Read This...
    ...Thank The Phoenicians!

Post Thanks / Like

I don't have any info to add....just wanted to say "Happy Planning!" I think the planning of the trip is half the fun.
    Enjoy!

Julie
    º0º emerzmom º0º
    Disney Vacations:
    DL: 81,00,01,02,04,05,06,08
    WDW: 98,99,00,01,02,03(x2),04(x2),05,,07,09,11,12,13(x2 ),14,15,16
    Next trip Nov 2017

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe not for you, but if it were me and I had 8 people, I would look at renting a house and a car and that may be cheaper than staying on property. If money is a big part of the equation, could be worth investigating. Off site is not all bad, but I also prefer on site. But I rented a whole 2 bedroom condo last June that was beautiful and 10 minutes from gates with washer and dryer, two pools, full kitchen, two bathrooms for price of a value room on site.
    Summer 1978 - off site
    July 2000 - CBR
    May 2001 - PoR & AKL
    Dec 2002 - WL
    Apr 2003 - ASs
    Feb 2004 - Poly
    May 2005 - ASs
    June 2006 - ASs
    June 2008 - Pop
    June 2010 - PoR
    May 2012 - Hilton Garden Inn
    June 2014 - Floridays Resort
    December 2014 - CBR
    March 2015 - Swan
    June 2015 - Pop

Post Thanks / Like

With a family that size, I'd also recommend checking into renting a house. Check out All-Star Vacation homes (Intercot sponsor). You can generally get a 4 BR, fully equipped house, with a pool, laundry, etc. for less than half the cost of staying on-site. We did this several years ago for a large family gathering, there were 12 of us (including small kids) and we rented a large house with beds for everyone, 4 bathrooms, fully equipped kitchen, and screened in pool, for $1000 for 7 nights. That was only 142.00 per night, about the cost of one value room. The accommodations were equivalent of at least a moderate hotel. You can save massive amounts of $$ by renting a house. Yes, you lose some of the convenience like Disney bus service, but even if you have to rent a van and pay for parking, you'll still come out way ahead.
    1971 (age 15) MK was new!
    1974 off-site (Senior Trip)
    1982 off-site
    1988 off-site
    May 2002 AS-Sports, with DW & kids
    May 2004 Pop Century
    Feb 2005 Wilderness Lodge
    Oct 2006 Pop Century
    Oct 2008 Camped at Fort Wilderness
    Feb 2010 Cruise on the Wonder
    Dec 2014 POFQ for Christmas!

Post Thanks / Like

I totally agree with the house rental idea. We have really enjoyed the All-Star vacation rentals when we have gone with relatives and the girls brought friends. Were able to spread out, had a place to congregate in evenings ( away from bedrooms) and loved the private pool! Have fun planning!
    We'll Go On....Off To Neverland

Wishes!

It's A Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow....Where Dreams Really Do Come True

Never Forget It was All Started By A Mouse....TTFN

Post Thanks / Like

We are a family of 7. We have stayed in a house. We liked it but it wasn't the full Disney experience. We missed the resorts. So, this year we are back to staying at Disney. We stay at the value resorts and get two rooms.
    To save money...drive...bring breakfast...take lunch in the parks.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: