Quantcast The Amazing Race 26--Blind Date

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default The Amazing Race 26--Blind Date

I have only watched the first show (will view the 2nd show tonight), but I have to comment on my biggest annoyance--STOP IT WITH THE SELFIES ALREADY!! Not that I have anything against selfies in general (I've been known to take some here and there myself), but the show is about four years behind the times. And it is so clearly scripted--"Hey, let's take a selfie of all of us with my selfie camera!"

Strangely enough, I am actually enjoying the the "blind date" pairing so far, although I think it was a mistake to pair a nurse with a doctor (especially a surgeon). That's like trying to mix oil and water. But some of the blind date couples actually work very well together.

On a side note, I thought the Sake detour was a bit lame, but some of the "customers" outfits and personalities made up for it in entertainment value.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm loving it!!! I really like a few of the blind date couples, AND my favorite New Kid is on! Love me some Jonathan Knight. He and his partner seem very well suited.

The selfie thing doesn't bother me all that much, and it's hilarious what happened in the second episode with the Alabama couple.

Of course, I always love the Japan legs, and thought the Sake one certainly seemed a lot easier, but that is how it is so many times - the one detour that seems hard turns out to the be the easiest one by far. And personally I didn't think that one seemed all that easy. Having to concentrate like that after having flown halfway across the world? Yeah, I could never do this race. LOL

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't finished the first episode yet, but I agree I enjoy the blind date idea more than I thought I would. I too, am over the over the top Fakey scripted stuff- like the selfie bit.
    Mar'14 DCL..Nov '13 POP..Jan '13 CBR..Mar'12 Swan/Dolphin..Nov '11 Universal/legoland, one night @ WDW..Oct '10 POP..April '09 Swan/Dolphin..Jan '09 AKL..Apr'08 offsite..Jan/Feb '08 offsite..Dec '08 HiltonHeadResort..Oct '07 Pop.. July '07 VB..May '07 DCL.Oct '06 FtWcabins.May '06 POP.Jan '06 POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
    Of course, I always love the Japan legs, and thought the Sake one certainly seemed a lot easier, but that is how it is so many times - the one detour that seems hard turns out to the be the easiest one by far. And personally I didn't think that one seemed all that easy. Having to concentrate like that after having flown halfway across the world? Yeah, I could never do this race. LOL
    Mel, at first I thought that they had to remember and serve all ten of the sakes, which I thought would be an impossible task. When I saw they only had to serve one correctly (and drink it--yum!), it looked much easier. Especially as it seemed like you could correlate the number of symbols in the name on the bottle with the number of words/syllables that were being spoken, or at least it seemed that way. Does that make sense? Or was I over-simplifying it?
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--

Post Thanks / Like

I really didn't think I'd like this season with it's blind date angle, but have found it enjoyable over all.

Quote Originally Posted by MNNHFLTX View Post
    Mel, at first I thought that they had to remember and serve all ten of the sakes, which I thought would be an impossible task. When I saw they only had to serve one correctly (and drink it--yum!), it looked much easier. .....
    I thought the same thing, Beth. When they gave the first couple their clue after getting only one right I was surprised.

The Alabama couple seemed nice enough but never showed any urgency. They were bound to go early.
    Linda aka tinkwest
    INTERCOT Staff ~ Disneyland Resort

Come On Everybody - Here We Go!!

“To all who come to this happy place: Welcome. ...”

Support our INTERCOT Sponsors!

Post Thanks / Like

I gotta admit, I am surprised to see all the love for The Amazing Race: The Dating Game.
    I admit it's been an interesting little twist, but I'm not a fan of all the teams being couples.
    I'm also not a fan of the in-your-face product placement with the selfies and now the fit bits. I know they need sponsors for the show but I'm definitely going to get tired of the selfie thing if they show it all the time (which I'm sure they will because they probably have to).
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

Great to have the new season up an running.

Quick comments on product placements:

-Selfies have to go, although watching one of the Race's dumbest teams see their train leave in the middle of taking a selfie may be a top 10 Race Fail moment. But it needs to go.

-Cars/Fitbits - used to the car plugs by now, no big deal and the fitibits seem relegated to commercials and maybe leg prizes, but so far not in show plugs, so I'm ok with it.

As far as the whole "blind date" thing, I'm still up in the air. I expected to hate it and I don't, but only time will tell if it ends up as a disaster. I think we are going to start seeing the disadvantage of not knowing your partner pretty soon. Blair and Haley look to be this season's Mark and Mallory. There definitely is no connection there and you could see cracks right from the get-go. So while I want to like this team, it would really surprise me if they make it as far as top 5 or 6, I just don't see them being able to work together.

Jelani and Jenni, again, no connection, but they remind me a bit of a Victor and Tammy, very cerebral and they look like they can get past not knowing each other, and it helps that she seems to be dominant and he passive which should cut down on the arguments. I think they are heavy favorites for top 3 at this point.

Bergen and Kurt, again I don't see any connection and I think they will be more like Blair/Haley than Jelani/Jenni. It would surprise me a lot to see them in final 3.

Jackie/Jeffrey and Tyler/Laura are the only 2 out 5 blind dates that I can see having any connection. Gut feeling is that based on more laid back personalities, I think Tyler and Laura could do better and I could see them make final 3.

After two legs I think Darwinism is again exhibiting itself, and the two weakest teams were again eliminated first. Team Tuskagee probably should have just been eliminated at the LAX airport and just saved everyone the trouble of remembering them. Team truckstop I think needs to be the next to go, I just don't see them getting anywhere in this Race.

The Olympians would be one of my early likes and favorites of the dating teams to make F3. Matt and Ashley seem a bit of a wild card. Matt seems a bit like Jim from last season. Very cocky about how fast they were going to knock out that dance routine, only to spend 20+ attempts on it. I think they will have big highs and big lows, just a question of whether or not the lows will be fatal. I can see John and Harley being around quite a while, but so far they are just kind of bland for me.

I enjoyed the first two episodes and locations and it looks like they go to Thailand next, so that should be another good local.

I didn't care much for the u-turn on the first leg. I'm not a big fan of the u-turn to begin with, and once again it resulted in an elimination (not that they were real long for the Race anyway).

Looks like the Save isn't back, which I guess is ok. I wouldn't have minded seeing it again, but less powerful, maybe only thru leg 5 instead of 9.

Looks to be a good season.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Loving this season so far ... I'm kind of having a hard time picking a favorite, because I really like pretty much all of the teams.

Funny to see so much hatred for the selfies. I don't know why but I actually think they're pretty cool. I like seeing the little snapshots shown in the larger context of the race. It's fun!
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I don't really mind the selfies either, especially how funny it was when the one team missed their train because of it. I'm liking this season way better than I thought I would. Liking all of the teams so far except for the dr./nurse team. He seems very conceited and she is extremely annoying.
    Many trips as a child offsite
    1995 Disney Cruise/Old key west
    New Years 2001 Caribbean Beach Resort
    March 2006 Offsite
    Sept 2010 Coronado Springs Resort
    November 2013 POR
    Sept/oct 2014 cars room at AOA
    Next trip: too long!

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

OMG Hayley is so unbelievably annoying! I can't believe how patient Blair has been with her. I think I would have throat punched her by now. UGH!

Not a fan of Jenny either. Who the heck is "deathly afraid of cats?" She's a shrieking harpy just like Hayley.
    Last edited by Ian; 03-16-2015 at 03:59 PM.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm loving Tyler and Laura more and more each episode. The whole blind date concept is kinda lame, and I think they'll definitely be the only couple to come out of this with any chance of a romantic connection. I like that it seems Bergin and Kurt are putting their differences aside and seemingly working well together.

I'm sad that Jon and Harley are gone, but truth be told, they didn't seem too overly into it. I think, like Jon said last night, he's a super fan and his dream was to be on the race. Dream fulfilled! He's got a million gazillion dollars anyway, and his anxiety issues are really deep, so it's probably a relief for them. Fair to others? Probably not. But life ain't fair. lol

Post Thanks / Like

I just watched for the first time last night, I'm hooked!:thumb-sup
    Although, I didn't like that one poor taxi driver can screw up a teams excellent work. I guess that can be blamed on poor communication or failing to double check by the team!
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    OMG the Hayley is so unbelievably annoying! I can't believe how patient Blair has been with her. I think I would have throat punched her by now. UGH!

Not a fan of Jenny either. Who the heck is "deathly afraid of cats?" She's a shrieking harpy just like Hayley.
    to all of this.
    Linda aka tinkwest

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    I just watched for the first time last night, I'm hooked!:thumb-sup

Although, I didn't like that one poor taxi driver can screw up a teams excellent work. I guess that can be blamed on poor communication or failing to double check by the team!

You mean this is the first time you've ever watched, Jeff?

Taxi drivers are very much a part of this show. Through the years, we've seen them make or break teams many times. All part of the drama.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dobby2010 View Post
    Liking all of the teams so far except for the dr./nurse team. He seems very conceited and she is extremely annoying.
    I don't feel that Blair is conceited. Just that he is now at the point of enduring.

OMG the Hayley is so unbelievably annoying! I can't believe how patient Blair has been with her. I think I would have throat punched her by now. UGH!

I don't think anything would stop Hayley or Jenny from their annoying mouthiness. If I were either of the guys my mantra would be, "shut up, shut up, oh ,please just shut up".

Quote Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
    Taxi drivers are very much a part of this show. Through the years, we've seen them make or break teams many times. All part of the drama.
    Taxi drives are probably one of the biggest equalizers along with "bunching".
    KAY

DVC MEMBER - OKW & HHI
    First trip to WDW - Dec, 2005
    Last visit to Disneyland - 2014

First trip to Disneyland - 1955

Post Thanks / Like

Loving this season so far ... I'm kind of having a hard time picking a favorite, because I really like pretty much all of the teams.
    Sadly, I've found this season's start to be greatly disappointing. The first two teams eliminated were pretty bad and were forgotten as soon as they were eliminated. Then there was a very early non-elimination leg (3rd leg) that according to my dvr tracker, nothing happened until the 20 minute mark, then they actually did something finally to start the leg. Now, the 4th leg, you knew from the minute that the New Kids didn't get on the same flight as the other teams, that they'd be gone.

Probably the worst 4 opening episodes of TAR that I can ever remember. Good locations, but the lack of any suspense or anything meaningful happening, the way too much emphasis on backstories and relationships has dragged it down.

My only hope is that they are now finally all together, equal footing, and hopefully we can start seeing some teams run the Race like they are actually feeling threatened by elimination, instead of knowing they are safe. Once that happens, teams, especially the blind daters will start to crack. That Harpy Jenny not only had a 3 hour lead over New Kids, but still holds the Express Pass, yet was still going nuts over how they'd finish. That team is a powder keg waiting to go off.

Blair, I'm just waiting for him to run so far ahead that he checks in an hour before Haley. It was hilarious, Blair to Hailey "You are in charge this leg, you make all the decisions, you are on board with this right?" Hailey "Yes, now what do you want to do?" Blair, so you want me to decide now? Ok, let's go this direction" Hailey: "Yes, I want you to decide, but let's go this direction instead!" If they make it to final 3, I just hope no weapons are involved because I think Blair might sacrifice the million to take her out.

Even though I've been disappointed with it thus far, bummed that its off the air until April 3rd due to the NCAA's.

I do like the hairstylists, its fun to watch for their weekly screw-up, you know its coming, it happens every week, just a matter of when.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm with HHG... The novelty wore off quickly for me.
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow - I guess that based on the last post being over 2 months old, pretty much is a good indicator of how people felt about the "blind date" season.

Just watched the finale last night, only thing I can say is, the finale pretty much summed up the season for me, and it seemed fitting. This wasn't the worst season for me, but I'd put in my bottom 5 without having to think too much about it.

It was pretty obvious that the blind date theme was a fail pretty much from the get go. Very few of the blind date teams had any real chemistry in that sense, despite how many times Phil tried to force it on them. I think the blind-daters actually had an overall advantage this season. One was obvious, a majority of the dating couples were older and not nearly as fit, so definitely a physical advantage for the blind date teams, and then while not knowing each other does hurt to some extant, not having to worry about repairing any relationship once the Race is over, makes getting through the Race a bit easier in my estimation.

The season in general pretty much lacked anything resembling suspense. In the first 11 legs, only one leg held any suspense as to which team would finish last, and that was the leg in Monaco, otherwise every other leg the last place team was never really in doubt, only if it would be non-elimination or not.

TAR26 twist - blind date theme - epic fail. Not much more to say, it really brought nothing to the show. Haley/Blair maybe, but put that Harpy with anyone and its great tv, but the twist was nothing.

Final 4 twist - part II. I was really hoping that after last years twist that allowed Amy and Maya to still be in it, would have been thrown out as a terrible idea, but nope, they kept one of the worst ideas they've ever had. Only consolation was that Phil's mid leg elimination at least required teams to perform one roadblock before elimination. Last year it was leave airport, drive to City Hall, drive to studio lot, last team there eliminated.

Finale: Sadly probably one of the more lame finales in TAR history. The nice commercial for Jerry Jones and the Cowboys stadium was pretty lame. Not much skill needed in that roadblock, catch and kick a football, not that difficult. The task at P2 Ranch, just a time killer, all they did was ride a horse from point A to B, there was no skill involved nor did they actually have to achieve anything. Repelling down Reunion tower, again no skill involved other than finding a half dozen flags right where the clue told you to look (easy for anyone but Haley). Monster truck, just for show. Final memory selfie task, probably the 2nd or 3rd easiest memory task they've had. Only thing about the final was, that when Jenn & Jelani got to the construction shed 2nd but managed to get the combination before Laura and Tyler, I did think it was over. So to see L&T finish first and win Amazing Race was a bit of a surprise I guess. But I didn't like that you had no way of really following their final progress with the selfies. Not like with flags where they show the viewers a check or a red X if they are wrong.

I guess the only memorable part of the finale was watching Haley come unglued when they were in the cab trying to find the parking garage where she thought the next clue was. She was out on an island and was doing everything possible to somehow make Blair responsible. "Blair - tell him where to go, you have to help me! Listen to me, Listen to me!" Sorry Haley, only you saw the clue box, Blair can't help you. Many would call it Karma.

Race has been renewed for TAR27 and it looks like it will be on in the fall in its Friday timeslot. I don't think they've renewed it (or cancelled it) for Spring 2016 yet.

After watching this season, its probably the first time I can honestly say, I'm getting prepared for the show to end its run. It will be a sad day, but it feels like the timing could be right.

Post Thanks / Like

Default The Amazing Race 26--Blind Date

The whole season was kind of bland. The winners were not much of a surprise to us. Just about our only emotional involvement was crossing our fingers that Haley did not somehow win. Blair should have received some sort of consolation prize for not wringing her neck somewhere on the course.
    Linda aka tinkwest

Post Thanks / Like

Personally, I enjoyed the race. Obviously the entertainment factor was Hayley; she and Blair grew on me after a while (but yes, he does deserve a medal!) about the only team that I couldn't get behind were the lawyers. It wasn't that I disliked them, they just weren't that interesting to watch.

I do hope the blind date stick was a one-time deal and they go back to regular teams on the next go-round. And no All-Stars or Unfinished Business either
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: