Quantcast Walt Disney Imagineering Releases New 'World of AVATAR' Concept Art - Page 3

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

:: Always interested in something new!
    KODABEAR
    FIRST TRIP MARCH '79 POLY
    175 plus trips

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by disneypastor View Post
    I can't say I've ever heard anyone say "Man, I'm so excited for the new Avatar movie to come out!"

Man, I'm so excited for the new Avatar movie to come out!

Pandora is a potential visual feast right up Disney's alley, particularly for night time (missing area for AK). Environmentalism and conservation fits the theme of Animal Kingdom. Avatar was a serious money-maker. Disney plans to release a new movie almost right at the time of the new area of the park.

It all fits.

best,

...................john

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WiltonJohn View Post
    Man, I'm so excited for the new Avatar movie to come out!

Pandora is a potential visual feast right up Disney's alley, particularly for night time (missing area for AK). Environmentalism and conservation fits the theme of Animal Kingdom. Avatar was a serious money-maker. Disney plans to release a new movie almost right at the time of the new area of the park.

It all fits.

best,

...................john
    Well said! I agree completely.
    -Bud

Walt Disney World:
    9/03 - CBR
    1/09 - BWV
    9/05; 2/07; 12/07; 9/08; 9/09; 9/10; 9/11; 12/13; 12/17; 4/18; 10/18, 4/23 - PC
    5/15 - POR
    1/22 - ASMO
    10/22 - ASMU

Disneyland: 12/15 - Paradise Pier Hotel

Next up: ???

Post Thanks / Like

I guess I don't understand how people can say that it doesn't have a following. Has anyone ever actually researched and seen the records it actually broke? Okay, it didn't hit Frozen records, but it made a boat load of money. And does actually have a huge following including super fan fiction stories all over the internet, a huge appearance at comic con's and such. Just because some Disney fans didn't like the movie, doesn't mean it never grew an outside Disney fan base.
    ~*~Tonya~*~

1st = 1992
    ASMo = Jan. 6-12 '07
    POP = Jan 5-11 '08
    BWV = Jan 6-16 '09
    BCV = Jan 12-22 '10
    BWV = Jan. 21-29 '11
    BWV = Jan. 21-28 '12
    BWV = Dec. 8-15 '12
    BCV/BWV=Jan. 24-Feb. 1 '14
    BWV = Jan. 16-24 '15
    BWV = Jan. 29-Feb. 6 '16
    BWV = Jan. 20-28 '17
    BWV = Jan. 26-Feb. 3 '18

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TinkerbellT421 View Post
    I guess I don't understand how people can say that it doesn't have a following. Has anyone ever actually researched and seen the records it actually broke? Okay, it didn't hit Frozen records, but it made a boat load of money. And does actually have a huge following including super fan fiction stories all over the internet, a huge appearance at comic con's and such. Just because some Disney fans didn't like the movie, doesn't mean it never grew an outside Disney fan base.
    Yeah, but it doesn't have a pop culture following HERE. It has not permeated through several levels of age brackets. Kids don't know what the heck it is and most adults just don't care that much about it. My parents didn't see it. My kids didn't see it. I didn't see it. My husband did and he hated it. Most people either have no idea what it is all about or just don't really care because it was NOT a huge "thing", at least here in America. Avatar land would have been FAR better received if it was going into one of Disney's Asia parks. Remember that the majority of the world population resides in Asia. Those overseas box office numbers are due to HUGE interest in the Asian market. For whatever reason, this film was huge over there.

My major gripe is that with ALL the material in its canon, Disney instead chose to partner up on such a bizarre movie choice to host an entire land. It really just smacks of a knee jerk reaction to the Harry Potter collaboration that Disney lost out on because they wouldn't give Rowling creative control. It comes off like a pathetic attempt to try and one up.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

And yet the rides, and land will be packed when opened.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TinkerbellT421 View Post
    Avatar is still the number one movie all time movie at the box office... Frozen didn't come close... Avatar did 2.7 billion total box office, Frozen 1.3 billion total box office... Furious 7 is about to pass Frozen... SO Avatar actually surpassed Frozen... It can be said Frozen never hit Avatar records... In fact, as successful as Frozen was, it didn't break any records according to Box Office Mojo... only records it has, and they are minor in my opinion, is All Time Thanksgiving 3 Day Opening and All Time Thanksgiving 5 Day Opening...

Avatar and Avengers appear on that list many times...
    Son of Jor-El.. Kneel before Zod...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DonaldDuck1117 View Post
    And yet the rides, and land will be packed when opened.
    And you will be correct...

Again, IP doesn't make a lick of difference (ok it does to a certain extent but not to the extent that people think)... Do a well made land, well themed, with state of the art attractions in which people want to go on, and people will come... Cheap out, and you have a recipe for failure, no matter the IP...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

Post Thanks / Like

Exactly. And I am very hopeful Dusney is going to create an immersive environment. AK needs it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DonaldDuck1117 View Post
    Exactly. And I am very hopeful Dusney is going to create an immersive environment. AK needs it.
    They will... I have no doubt in my mind Imagineering and Cameron will build one heck of a land... The issue is Park Ops getting control of it.. That is when things tend to go to the dumper LOL...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyFreak2002 View Post
    They will... I have no doubt in my mind Imagineering and Cameron will build one heck of a land... The issue is Park Ops getting control of it.. That is when things tend to go to the dumper LOL...
    Isn't Cameron investing some of his own money into this? If so I hope he can stop TDO from going cheap.
    04 Honeymoon ,Swan and off property WDW
    05 1st Annivesary, off property WDW
    07 at All-Star Music WDW
    08 Disneyland
    09 AKV-Kidani Village WDW
    10 AKV-Jambo House/Boardwalk. 11 Kidani Village
    September 2012 Jambo House
    December 2013 Grand Californian

Post Thanks / Like

I am hoping that Disney is finally responding to Universal. Disney basically say on their hands the last decade while Universal closed the gap. Granted, Disney was working on my magic+ but still. The Fantasyland expansion was very nice and the mind ride is all sorts of fun. Now we are getting Avatarland and Studios redo soon. Just my opinion but I think Disney has finally taken notice and is going to up their game.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by seanyred View Post
    Isn't Cameron investing some of his own money into this? If so I hope he can stop TDO from going cheap.
    Didn't hear anything about that... So I can't say Cameron is investing any of his own money into the land... Doubt it.. He'll be getting paid for the rights though... And I'm sure he has a nice little clause in the contract stating he gets a nice chunk of the merchandise profits... Though, not sure how much merchandise will be moved... Have to see what they sell first...

Cameron wanted a flying coaster... They aren't building it... If he was using some of his money, he would have gotten that flying coaster... I would think...

This is a project the big dogs in California are in charge of... Though budgets seems to have been slashed (typical in any project), what Imagineering is creating hasn't been skimped on too much...

I'm hoping Cameron has as much power over Disney as Rowling and WB has over Universal with Potter... Then Disney will be forced to fix things when they aren't working right...

Now, if only Cameron could force them to fix that yeti...

manutd1 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyDad View Post
    ...Avatar is something that just doesn't "scream" ...DISNEY.

....so ...I couldn't care less. (unless it funnels tons of park goer traffic in its direction ...and frees up other attractions for me...)
    Ah....this is just 110% incorrect.
    Avatar is 200% Disney...through and through...
    It is and the next movie will also be one of the highest grossing movies of all time. Avatar land is going to be a major draw for Animal Kingdom. I don't see how someone could be a fan of Disney and not "get" or understand the movie or the new land being built. They go hand in hand. Its a no brainer.

Post Thanks / Like

Let's make this a bit more interesting.....

3 Avatar movies coming up 2016, 2017 & 2018 and just this evening I saw a trailer for a new Cirque du Soleil show --- Toruk - The First Flight Inspired by James Cameron's Avatar.

I am thinking that Disney knew a lot more than they let on before starting on this Pandora project.
    -Bud

Walt Disney World:
    9/03 - CBR
    1/09 - BWV
    9/05; 2/07; 12/07; 9/08; 9/09; 9/10; 9/11; 12/13; 12/17; 4/18; 10/18, 4/23 - PC
    5/15 - POR
    1/22 - ASMO
    10/22 - ASMU

Disneyland: 12/15 - Paradise Pier Hotel

Next up: ???

Post Thanks / Like

Supposedly at first Disney was looking to just create one attraction based on the ride for Studios. Then after discussions Tom Staggs floated the idea of making it an immersive land with a conservation message in a park that desperately needed a boost.

I really hope Staggs is the one to take over for Iger. He seems to be one who understands that I order to make money, you need to spend money. I also think he was instrumental in getting the New Fantasyland redone after the initial plans were announced (a bunch of princess meet and greets). He is very different than Rasulo who likes to strip projects of budget and be extremely tight with finances.

Post Thanks / Like

I think it looks like a gate.

I can't wait to walk through it.
    1980 Disneyland
    2004 & 2006 Pop
    2008 AKL
    2010 CBR
    2011 POFQ & WL
    2012 CSR & Contemporary
    2013 Villas @ WL Christmas Family Trip
    2014 YC 25th Anniversary Trip
    2015 AoA Spring Family Trip
    2016 Move to Florida and AP Holder

Post Thanks / Like

Finally watched the movie! DH had seen it before, but this was the first time for the girls and I. Visually - WOW! I can certainly see how WDW can make an amazing looking land using scenes from the movie.

Plot-wise, I couldn't have been more underwhelmed. It couldn't have been more predictable, the dialog was cheesy. The final scene was a bit more exciting, but still predictable. I don't think I would have sat through the whole thing if Disney wasn't adding it to AK.

The girls really loved it and DH really enjoyed it - so, overall, we'll be excited to see the addition.
    Susanne

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: