Quantcast Norton Internet Security ruins by night

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Norton Internet Security ruins by night

So while working last night in a mad rush to get done before the ice started falling from the sky, Internet Explorer suddenly began crashing as soon as it was opened. I spent two hours doing System Restores and IE downgrades, but nothing worked. Long story short, Norton had released an update which totally disabled IE 10 and 11 from any PC running Norton. They fixed the problem by sunrise, but not before I had lost all of my IE settings in my attempts to "fix" the issue myself.

I have 32 days left with Norton, and I am done with them. I have had a few instances where I have found a PC with Norton simply "shut down" leaving the PC with no antivirus, and that coupled with last night's debacle sealed the deal for me.

I have a 5-PC Norton license and need to find a replacement that is cost-effective for 5 PCs and that isn't a resource hog on the PC but that is an extremely reliable security suite (two PCs regularly access unencrypted credit card data, so security is a top priority).

Anyone out there have a suggestion on what's the best way to protect PCs without regular technical problems or outright failures?
    Disney Dream May 2019, WDW Dec 2019

18 Oct ASMv
    16 (APs) Jan POR, Feb CSR, April ASMv, June BC, Oct Pop & Cabins, Dec ASMv & AKL & Pop, Jan '17 POFQ (10k!)
    15 May Pop&CBR pirates
    13 Oct ASMu&AoA
    10 (APs) June CR, Oct AKL&Pop, Dec Pop
    07 March ASMv
    04 June POR
    94 June Onsite

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Some good AV that does not hog the machine

ESET NOD 32 Antivirus updates multiple times a day (always in the background with no impact) and has kept our household of 5 computers virus free for years. If they upgrade to a new version during your license year you get the upgrade for free. For even more iron clad anti malware you can concurrently run Malware Bytes that is like twentysomething dollars for a multi computer license.

Both play well with any software I have had on my machines and have caught any number of things trying to sneak in through files from other sources, email or web pages that have been corrupted.

Post Thanks / Like

We use Avast. No problems. I will never use Norton because I've read so many accounts like yours. They're awful.
    1994 PO
    '96 GF (h'moon)
    '02 Cont. tower
    '03 WL
    '05 WL
    '06 GF, WL
    '07 ASMo
    '08 joined DVC: SSR, BWV
    '09 BCV, SSR
    '10 HHI, BCV/BWV
    '11 BLT
    '12 AKL, Dream
    '13 BCV, Fantasy, HHI
    '14 BCV, OKW, HHI
    '15 BCV, HHI, AKL
    '16 BLT, OKW, AKL, SSR, Fantasy
    '17 BLT, GF, AKL, BC
    '18 Wonder

manutd1 Guest

Ah, the peace and love of owning a Mac!! No muss no fuss...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by manutd1 View Post
    Ah, the peace and love of owning a Mac!! No muss no fuss...
    Except for the fact, you can't run windows based applications on them natively. That and you can buy at least two windows machines for the price of one Mac, install Linux on them in a dual boot configuration for free, have all the worry free web surfing you like for less than half the price and boot up into windows to run windows applications whenever you want.

Anyway, I have been using Microsoft Security Essentials for about 5 years now on all of my windows machines and the ones I maintain for family. No problems whatsoever. It is free and updates regularly.

In the past, I have also had good experiences with Avast and AVG but they got to where the free versions popped up windows all the time trying to sell me the paid version or their other software and it was annoying.

Norton is terrible. I have been immediately uninstalling it from machines as soon as they come out of the box for years.

Post Thanks / Like

I hate Norton and Macafee. After years of encounter need problems, including rendering my mothers pc useless one year to the point in damaged it beyond repair and had to buy her a new one.

I swear by Trend now. They have been great for me, and they do protect multiple pc's) I have three on mine, can't remember if it does up to five.
    ~*~Tonya~*~

1st = 1992
    ASMo = Jan. 6-12 '07
    POP = Jan 5-11 '08
    BWV = Jan 6-16 '09
    BCV = Jan 12-22 '10
    BWV = Jan. 21-29 '11
    BWV = Jan. 21-28 '12
    BWV = Dec. 8-15 '12
    BCV/BWV=Jan. 24-Feb. 1 '14
    BWV = Jan. 16-24 '15
    BWV = Jan. 29-Feb. 6 '16
    BWV = Jan. 20-28 '17
    BWV = Jan. 26-Feb. 3 '18

manutd1 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by 1DisneyNut View Post
    Except for the fact, you can't run windows based applications on them natively. That and you can buy at least two windows machines for the price of one Mac, install Linux on them in a dual boot configuration for free, have all the worry free web surfing you like for less than half the price and boot up into windows to run windows applications whenever you want.

Anyway, I have been using Microsoft Security Essentials for about 5 years now on all of my windows machines and the ones I maintain for family. No problems whatsoever. It is free and updates regularly.

In the past, I have also had good experiences with Avast and AVG but they got to where the free versions popped up windows all the time trying to sell me the paid version or their other software and it was annoying.

Norton is terrible. I have been immediately uninstalling it from machines as soon as they come out of the box for years.
    Windows? Who wants that? lol
    Seriously though...My wife works in healthcare...Her office recently switched to Macs...took a bit for everyone to "learn" the simple differences and run new programs...but now, no one misses the model T's.
    I know that back in the day when I did have a windows computer.....i used AVG, seems a lot better than macafee and norton.
    Sorry, for the thread hijack....

Post Thanks / Like

Sad, Norton used to be the "go-to" for utilities and anti-virus back in the day. I'm dating myself, but does anyone else remember the Norton Utilities, Norton Commander, or the first iterations of their anti-virus software? They were awesome! Most of these were pre-Windows, and were successfully ported into Windows when it came along. Too bad the company has lost its reputation so much.

Is Peter Norton even still alive?
    First trip, Christmas 1971.
    Last Trip, Oct. 2017 - ICOT20!
    Next Trip: Planning...Always Planning

Post Thanks / Like

Haven't used Norton for years. Microsoft Security Essentials and Super Malwarebytes for me for now, though I need to swap Security Essentials for something else.
    Steve (aka brownie)
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations & Mousellaneous
    ASMv 4/00, 10/01, 11/03, 5/21
    ASMu 8/12, 11-12/22
    AKL 6/18
    BC 9/94
    CSR 8/14, 3-4/22
    POP 11-12/10, 3/12, 10/12, 7/17, 4/22
    POFQ 10/01
    POR 9/04, 1/16, 11/19
    WL 12/03
    Disneyland 6/07, 1/15