Quantcast Best Table Service and Counter Service in DLR

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Best Table Service and Counter Service in DLR

Hi all,

Planning our very first DLR trip (we normally frequent WDW since we are on the east coast). We don't know where to start with dining at DLR! We are thinking we'll do one table service meal and the rest will be counter service in the interest of time. We will be 3 adults so we are looking for a non-character meal, food-first types of place for our table service meal. And for the counter service we love places that offer more variety than the typical burgers, fries etc. What do people like best? We are open to either DL or DCA for the table service meal.

Thank you in advance!!

Linda

2010 - POFQ
    2012 - POP
    2013 - SWAN
    2014 - SWAN
    2015 - DLR (offsite)
    2016 - SWAN
    2017 - DLR (offsite)
    2018 - DOLPHIN
    2018 - Fall trip - in the planning process!!!!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

My favorite sit down restaurant at DLR is Napa Rose at the Grand Californian. Cathay Circle is at DCA and has the same head chef so I assume it is also wonderful. I also am a huge fan of Naples in Downtown Disney as well as Ralph Brennan Jazz Kitchen. Uva Bar is also very good but much more casual. It is in the middle of Downtown Disney. Cafe Orleans is decent in DL although the menu is quite limited.

As for QS, it is all good! Honestly, there is SO much variety and with the exception of Tomorrowland Terrace, every QS place has great food. Standouts include the Bakery for sandwiches, Plaza Inn for fried chicken, and Bengal BBQ at Disneyland.

At DCA, I like Taste Pilots (soon to be renamed?) And the Mexican place in the wharf along with the Pacific Wharf Cafe.

The Disneyland Hotel has a great QS out by the pool. Really good food cooked fresh. Very much like the Polynesian resort QS.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Hands down my favorite table service is Steakhouse 55 at the Disneyland Hotel. Such wonderful old Hollywood history/feel, and the food is wonderful at both breakfast and dimmer. Another highlight is Carthay Circle, which also has the old Hollywood feel/decor. And another I really enjoy is Carnation Cafe. Nothing like sitting down and dining right on Main Street!

There are so many good CS restaurants at Disneyland. Seems like every place offers something unique beyond the typical burger and fries.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys!! I'm putting all of this on a spreadsheet! Feels great to get the chance to learn two whole new parks including dining. So exciting!

Linda

2010 - POFQ
    2012 - POP
    2013 - SWAN
    2014 - SWAN
    2015 - DLR (offsite)
    2016 - SWAN
    2017 - DLR (offsite)
    2018 - DOLPHIN

Post Thanks / Like

The only restaurant that I didn't like was the Chinese restaurant at the Pacific Wharf at DCA. Flo's V8 Café is really good, both for lunch/dinner and breakfast. I really like Boudin bakery (Pacific Wharf Café), also on the Pacific Wharf, they have great bread bowl salads and soups - but the line grows quickly so if you're not there right when they open be prepared to wait.

In Disneyland I like the Mexican restaurant near Big Thunder (Rancho de Zocalo) and the Hungry Bear Restaurant near Splash Mountain - it does lean towards the hamburgers, but I really like their fried green tomato sandwich. The Jolly Holiday Bakery on Main Street is a nice 'soup and sandwich' type place. Their grilled cheese and tomato soup is surprisingly good.

One thing I do every time I'm at Disneyland is to get beignets at the Mint Julep Bar (in New Orleans Square close to the train station) and a cappuccino. They open at 10:00. It's a nice place to stop and enjoy people watching.
    Aryn

I am the rebel spy.

Post Thanks / Like

You are going to have a great time! Like you, we have been lifelong and frequent WDW visitors. We have now mixed in DL twice in the past three years and everyone in my family absolutely loves it. But to keep the focus on the topic of your post...........

I agree with a previous poster about Napa Rose. If you are all adults and don't mind dropping a few extra dollars on a meal, Napa Rose is excellent. Fresh, local ingredients used to produce creative and delicious dishes. The dining room is very nice, but if you are up for an experience, I have sat at the chef's counter several times. It is fun to watch the food being prepared and to see the speed at which the kitchen staff operates.

We also really enjoyed Wine Country Trattoria at DCA. We liked it so much that we filled our only open night on our recent trip with a second reservation there. Eating outside (where most of the tables there are located) is a nice treat. If the temperature is cool, the outdoor seating area has abundant heaters.

Storytellers Café is good, too. It is a nice buffet at the Grand Californian, right next to Napa Rose. We particularly like the breakfast buffet here. I would describe it as a scaled-back version of Chef Mickey's. The breakfast food is very good and boasts a nice variety, but not so much as Chef Mickey's that you feel sick to your stomach after attempting to try every single item on the buffet. It is a character meal, but recognizing your comment that you'd like to stay away from character meals, you barely even notice the characters here relative to other character meals. It is a forest theme including characters such as Miko, Chip and Dale, Koda and Kenai. When the characters come, they are very pleasant and interactive, but you are otherwise able to enjoy a good meal.

My family likes Naples in Downtown Disney for table service pizza. I am not a huge pizza fan (very un-American, I know), but putting my views on pizza in general aside, my entire family really likes this restaurant.

I'd also note that Catal in Downtown Disney is good. If you like Mediterranean food, this table service restaurant has very good food and a very relaxed atmosphere for a nice restaurant.

For CS, you almost cannot go wrong. The CS choices and food quality both are significantly better than what you find at WDW. Here are a couple that we really like (some of which echoes prior posts):

--Flo's V8 Café -- good food and a neat spot to eat if you sit outside, right along Route 66 in Cars Land.

--Cocina Cucamonga -- this is the Mexican restaurant at Pacific Wharf that was mentioned previously. I eat here once on every visit. (To repeat another comment from above, stay away from the Chinese restaurant on Pacific Wharf. This is one of the very few food locations at Disneyland that is subpar.)

I'm sure you weren't looking specifically for dessert recommendations, but since ice cream is my favorite food, definitely take advantage of the Ghirardelli's located inside DCA. It is on Pacific Wharf. Kind of dangerous for an ice cream fanatic like me that a place with such good ice cream and hot fudge is located right inside the parks. Here is my little tip: rather than spending time sitting down and eating my ice cream, I usually get it, then get into a line that is typically a bit on the longer side (e.g., Radiator Springs Racers). That way, I get to enjoy my ice cream while also eating away at the wait time for a fun attraction. (Nothing wrong with sitting at a table or bench and relaxing while you enjoy a good ice cream sundae, of course, if that is your preference.)

Enjoy your DL dining!
    "Hi ho, Kermit the Frog here, and welcome to Muppet Vision 3D."

Post Thanks / Like

You guys are so helpful. I'm tracking the restaurants that get recommended multiple times and there are several! Thanks for also letting me know about sub-par restaurants... that's equally important! Stay tuned for my upcoming thread about best bars/nightlife. Oh my!

Linda

2010 - POFQ
    2012 - POP
    2013 - SWAN
    2014 - SWAN
    2015 - DLR (offsite)
    2016 - SWAN
    2017 - DLR (offsite)
    2018 - DOLPHIN

Post Thanks / Like

Like a couple of people have said Napa Rose is simply awesome. It is the one place that we never miss when we visit. The second miss is Steakhouse 55, we have been for breakfast and dinner. Breakfast is nice and soothing a great way to start the morning.

We also love Naples in downtown Disney. Last visit we went twice!

Post Thanks / Like

so, I have to say that table service is Blue Bayou in DL and Carthay in CA.
    Catal or Rainforest for DTD

Counter service in DL is the Village Haus
    CA was Cocina Cucamonga
    Sarah K.
    85-87 Campground - 89 CAbins
    91 The Tree House Villas - 2001 Nov. Lake Buena Vista Best W.
    2002 Movies - 2002 Sports
    2003 Music - 2004 Cabins
    2006 DW Movies
    2013 DisneyLand- Embassy Suites S
    2014 Disneyland-Anaheim Plaza
    2015 Disneyworld Sports
    2017 DL?

Post Thanks / Like

Still assembling this info on my spreadsheet!

Thanks very much!
    Linda

2010 - POFQ
    2012 - POP
    2013 - SWAN
    2014 - SWAN
    2015 - DLR (offsite)
    2016 - SWAN
    2017 - DLR (offsite)
    2018 - DOLPHIN

Post Thanks / Like

I've only been to DL twice so my experience isn't vast. However, we truly enjoyed Royal Street Veranda for counter service. They offer soups in bread bowls. When we were there it was corn chowder or beef stew. I got the corn chowder and LOVED it! The location is right next to the Mint Julep Bar mentioned previously. Additionally, we had some beignets from the Mint Julep Bar that were fabulous.
    Genna
    Always Enjoy the
    ¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨Magic¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨

"Now approaching, Mickey's Star Traders"

If You Can Read This...
    ...Thank The Phoenicians!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by magicofdisney View Post
    I've only been to DL twice so my experience isn't vast. However, we truly enjoyed Royal Street Veranda for counter service. They offer soups in bread bowls. When we were there it was corn chowder or beef stew. I got the corn chowder and LOVED it! The location is right next to the Mint Julep Bar mentioned previously. Additionally, we had some beignets from the Mint Julep Bar that were fabulous.
    Yes! Love this spot. They often have gumbo and its pretty great!
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like

I'm surprised not many mentions of the Blue Bayou. Is it still good? For the curious, it's the restaurant Pirates of the Carribean boats pass by at the beginning of the ride. It's Cajun style food If I remember right. Even though it's indoors, the theme is night time veranda outdoors.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by larjani View Post
    I'm surprised not many mentions of the Blue Bayou. Is it still good? For the curious, it's the restaurant Pirates of the Carribean boats pass by at the beginning of the ride. It's Cajun style food If I remember right. Even though it's indoors, the theme is night time veranda outdoors.
    It kind of hasn't been good for a long time. It is popular because of the theme but food has been mediocre to bad since about 2007.
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429410288.801784.jpg
Views: 279
Size:  11.7 KBName:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429410448.357362.jpg
Views: 276
Size:  15.2 KB Jolly Holiday for quick service and steakhouse 55 for sit down (bfast is amazing!!) as seen with fellow INTERCOTEEs!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    INTERCOT Staff-
    Nightlife, Shops, Water Parks/DCL/runDisney

DVC owner- BLT, Alauni, SSR, Vero, OKW

Next:

Oct- WLV
    Nov- Vero
    Dec- BWV
    Jan- SSR runICOT WEEKEND!
    Feb- Poly
    Mar- Disney Wonder
    Apr- AKL Kidani
    May- Vero
    Sept- BLT

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks so much! The planning is seriously so much of the fun. Love the pics.

Now, do people have bar recommendations??

Linda

2010 - POFQ
    2012 - POP
    2013 - SWAN
    2014 - SWAN
    2015 - DLR (offsite)
    2016 - SWAN
    2017 - DLR (offsite)
    2018 - DOLPHIN

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lindslou View Post

Beer truck in DCA, and of course, TRADER SAMS at Disneyland hotel!
    INTERCOT Staff-
    Nightlife, Shops, Water Parks/DCL/runDisney

DVC owner- BLT, Alauni, SSR, Vero, OKW

Next:

Oct- WLV
    Nov- Vero
    Dec- BWV
    Jan- SSR runICOT WEEKEND!
    Feb- Poly
    Mar- Disney Wonder
    Apr- AKL Kidani
    May- Vero
    Sept- BLT

Post Thanks / Like

Uh, all of them?
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like

Love the Carthay Circle Lounge at DCA. It's my new favorite. But like Nat said, all of them!

Post Thanks / Like

Ooh, in which land is the beer truck? Someone also told me the Cove Bar attached to Ariel's Grotto is a nice hideaway.

I suppose we'll have to sample the lounges at each of the 3 hotels....

Linda

2010 - POFQ
    2012 - POP
    2013 - SWAN
    2014 - SWAN
    2015 - DLR (offsite)
    2016 - SWAN
    2017 - DLR (offsite)
    2018 - DOLPHIN

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: