Quantcast Spontaneous trip and Fastpass-it's not working out! - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mouseketeer mom View Post
    Well, logged on this a.m, and got Seven Dwarfs mine train and TSM! Woot woot! Persistence paid off!
    So glad you were able to get the fast passes.
    Marci

Many visits. Live 20 minutes from the parks.
    Work at Universal Studios in Diagon Alley. Ollivanders/ wand magic.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PopPhan View Post
    Let's take a look at FastPass vs. FP+ in the same vein....

With the original FastPass system, it was first-come, first-served. People who knew the system, whether they were staying on Disney property or not, got what they wanted by arriving early and stockpiling FastPasses (until they actually started enforcing the time windows). People who didn't know the system - first time visitors, for instance - ended up standing in long queues whether they paid the extra money to stay on Disney property or not.

A lot of first-timers or one-timers paid a lot of money to stay on Disney property and enjoy a visit, only to get shut out of some attractions or have to wait while the above mentioned group zips right on through. (I blame this on the 80/20 rule, but that is a whole different soapbox.)

Believe it or not, there are still some people who do not do research before visiting.

So, Disney comes up with this new system to do a number of things:
    • Cut down on stockpiling FastPasses (FP)
    • Allow more visitors to get FP
    • Allow those staying on property access to FP before those staying off property (weekenders and AP holders who know the system well and play it for all it's worth)

You already pay more than standard (for the area) for rooms on-property. To me, that means you are already paying for FP+ and Disney Transportation. Why shouldn't those people get a bit of "preferential treatment" on what they are paying extra for?

I am not a fan of the FP+ system myself, but I just don't get some of the complaints. Next thing you know, people will complain about Single Rider lines because they (can) make the Stand-By line move slower.

There will always be complaints, so let's just make the best of the situation while we can.

OK...off my soapbox now...
    your "stockpiling fastpass" comment has me scratching my head.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RunDMV View Post
    I agree. One of the main purposes of FP+ was to keep guests committed to spending all of their time in Disney World parks and not venture elsewere (and in the process, spend their money on food and souvenirs to increase revenue). I think that was probably the main motivation for creating the system.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

Before they started enforcing the FastPass Return window, some people would collect FastPasses throughout the day. They had no intention of returning during the window on the ticket. They would wait until they were ready to leave the park and use all of their FastPasses at once. This took FastPass availability away from people who would return at the appointed time. I had actually seen people with FastPasses for 5 or 6 attractions near the end of the day trying to figure out in what order they would use them. (And they were proud of how many they collected.)

That is what I meant by 'stockpiling' FastPasses.

Sorry for the confusion.
    -Bud

Walt Disney World:
    9/03 - CBR
    1/09 - BWV
    9/05; 2/07; 12/07; 9/08; 9/09; 9/10; 9/11; 12/13; 12/17; 4/18; 10/18, 4/23 - PC
    5/15 - POR
    1/22 - ASMO
    10/22 - ASMU

Disneyland: 12/15 - Paradise Pier Hotel

Next up: ???

Post Thanks / Like

Before they started enforcing the FastPass Return window, some people would collect FastPasses throughout the day. They had no intention of returning during the window on the ticket. They would wait until they were ready to leave the park and use all of their FastPasses at once. This took FastPass availability away from people who would return at the appointed time. I had actually seen people with FastPasses for 5 or 6 attractions near the end of the day trying to figure out in what order they would use them. (And they were proud of how many they collected.)

That is what I meant by 'stockpiling' FastPasses.

Sorry for the confusion.
    still has m confused. a person couldn't "stockpile" more than about 5. if they did, the number of people doing that would be so small as to be statistically insignificant.

Post Thanks / Like

Let's take a look at FastPass vs. FP+ in the same vein....

With the original FastPass system, it was first-come, first-served. People who knew the system, whether they were staying on Disney property or not, got what they wanted by arriving early and stockpiling FastPasses (until they actually started enforcing the time windows). People who didn't know the system - first time visitors, for instance - ended up standing in long queues whether they paid the extra money to stay on Disney property or not.

A lot of first-timers or one-timers paid a lot of money to stay on Disney property and enjoy a visit, only to get shut out of some attractions or have to wait while the above mentioned group zips right on through. (I blame this on the 80/20 rule, but that is a whole different soapbox.)

Believe it or not, there are still some people who do not do research before visiting.

So, Disney comes up with this new system to do a number of things:
    • Cut down on stockpiling FastPasses (FP)
    • Allow more visitors to get FP
    • Allow those staying on property access to FP before those staying off property (weekenders and AP holders who know the system well and play it for all it's worth)

You already pay more than standard (for the area) for rooms on-property. To me, that means you are already paying for FP+ and Disney Transportation. Why shouldn't those people get a bit of "preferential treatment" on what they are paying extra for?

I am not a fan of the FP+ system myself, but I just don't get some of the complaints. Next thing you know, people will complain about Single Rider lines because they (can) make the Stand-By line move slower.

There will always be complaints, so let's just make the best of the situation while we can.

OK...off my soapbox now...
    First off, if people aren't researching before their vacation, they are still going to miss the opportunity to get their Fastpass + at 60 days out, so this doesn't help them.

If you want a good situation where Fastpass + isn't working, I'll share mine with you. I'm taking a terminally ill friend. I have no idea what time of day he will feel up to riding rides. Under the old system, we would show up when he felt well and get a fastpass. Yes, we would run the risk of not getting the rides we wanted if we showed up late, but someone else would have gotten it. If he felt well early in the morning, we could get on whatever we chose.

Now, I am having to try to decide what times will work for him 60 days in advance. Yes, we could still just show up, but some rides such as the 7DMT are going to be booked up well before we even arrive, so my only option is to try to get it at 60 days out. I am doing my best to pick times that would be good for him, but I can't be 100%. With this system, if we don't use it, it is lost. No one else can pick it up. Yes, there is the standby line, but I am sure it is long, and I don't want to put him through that. And before anyway says "well, there's always next time", I hope there are many next times while I am there, but there may not be any for him.
    I'll meet you at the Rainbow Bridge.

Post Thanks / Like

That happened to us last year. We booked a last minute trip in October because of DH being overseas and were too late to get FP+ for a majority of the rides, especially Mine Train. Because of it being shut down off and on that week for rain, we ended up not being able to ride it because the lines were just too long. There were not many good rides we could get FP for, just the ones that really didn't need a FP. I was frustrated the whole trip and feel like we wasted our money except for the Wine and Food Festival because we didn't get to ride very many of our favorite rides. I'm still not sold one this new FP+ system.
    I DO believe in fairies, I DO, I DO!

1977-2007 various resorts
    August 2007 CBR
    August 2009 Poly
    2010 July/August Ply
    2012 July BC & Christmas ASM
    2014 Sept BC
    2015 Sept BC Oct CS
    2016 May FQ Oct GF
    2017 Nov YC

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cinderelley View Post
    First off, if people aren't researching before their vacation, they are still going to miss the opportunity to get their Fastpass + at 60 days out, so this doesn't help them.

If you want a good situation where Fastpass + isn't working, I'll share mine with you. I'm taking a terminally ill friend. I have no idea what time of day he will feel up to riding rides. Under the old system, we would show up when he felt well and get a fastpass. Yes, we would run the risk of not getting the rides we wanted if we showed up late, but someone else would have gotten it. If he felt well early in the morning, we could get on whatever we chose.

Now, I am having to try to decide what times will work for him 60 days in advance. Yes, we could still just show up, but some rides such as the 7DMT are going to be booked up well before we even arrive, so my only option is to try to get it at 60 days out. I am doing my best to pick times that would be good for him, but I can't be 100%. With this system, if we don't use it, it is lost. No one else can pick it up. Yes, there is the standby line, but I am sure it is long, and I don't want to put him through that. And before anyway says "well, there's always next time", I hope there are many next times while I am there, but there may not be any for him.
    Your friend may be eligible for a DAS (Disability Access Service) Card. If you haven't done so already, it may be worth your while to check into it before you go.
    1971 (age 15) MK was new!
    1974 off-site (Senior Trip)
    1982 off-site
    1988 off-site
    May 2002 AS-Sports, with DW & kids
    May 2004 Pop Century
    Feb 2005 Wilderness Lodge
    Oct 2006 Pop Century
    Oct 2008 Camped at Fort Wilderness
    Feb 2010 Cruise on the Wonder
    Dec 2014 POFQ for Christmas!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Figment50 View Post
    I remeber the days before fast pass when eveyone stood on one line.

In many ways I think the trip was alot less stressful back in those days.
    "Welcome, Foolish Mortals..."

manutd1 Guest

Just get a FP for which you can....stand in line for the rides you can't. I have found that attractions that a FP that can't be achieved....if you keep checking wait times...you'll find an acceptable time. I think people are too obsessed with getting a FP for certain rides...I.E. The new mine ride.
    If people simply get there before rope drop on a non morning EMH...go right for that ride....you can easily do it 2 times....with the second maybe having a 30 min wait (at worst)....but lets be honest...30 min. is not long really.
    I for one loved the old system....( i knew how to get maximum fast passes all day) and with the new system you can STILL get 6-7 FP easy and for rides that you really want to use it on...not including, HM, POTC...Small World and others. You just have to make sure you are at a kiosk at the moment you can get more...with no delay...(which is a lot like the old way) Yes, the mine ride does run out of FP fast...but that is an attraction Id do first thing in day. FP+ CAN be "worked" and within the rules....you just have to research it and understand it.
    I will add that I am realizing the NEW system is actually easier to plan with and if you maximize it..you can still get a lot of FP's I really like FP+ a lot.

manutd1 Guest

With the old system...I could have ALOT of fast passes in my wallet..I mean 6-7 easy. Disney never enforced the return time so you could just keep getting them as soon as the previous ticket told you you could .....with never using the first yet.
    Even when they did enforce the return time...If you simply got one the minute you were able to...you could still really get a lot that way.
    No different with FP+ One just to make sure that the moment you exit an attraction using the last FP+ that you pre selected...you need to run to the kiosk (just like we did the old system..only to the attraction) and get your 4th and a soon as you use it....bam, adios..make a v-line for the nearest kiosk...or cast member holding an iPad. And get another. And so on.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EeyoresBestFriend View Post
    Interesting that you mention single riders line as I have noticed that this appears to be the latest 'abuse'. I noticed that there were a lot of families in the line that when at the front would then say 'oh (s)he's too small/ afraid to ride by themselves - can they go with me/Daddy?' So then the family would split into groups of 2. Even though they were in the single rider line, I never once saw them denied and there were quite a few of doing that.
    It's sad and reinforced bad behavior.
    Oh, I've seen this enforced plenty, and we never go during "high" times. I'm seen parents pitch a fit when they went through the Single Rider line with their kids and then got split up. Poor CMs that have to deal with those people. We heard one flat out ask an irate Mom, "Ma'am, this is the SINGLE RIDER line. It clearly states that YOU WILL BE SEPARATED. Did you not understand that?" And when they refused to be separated, the CM made them go through the Stand-By line.

That was on Test Track, BTW.
    2002 - 2022: 20+ visits (POR, BW, All Stars, VWL, CSR, BLT, BC, SSR, CB, Dolphin, OKW, Poly, offsite x8)
    DL - 1996, 2019
    Next up - January 2023 short trip! We just want to try that 50th Anniversary chocolate monstrosity at Mexico!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azcavalier View Post
    Oh, I've seen this enforced plenty, and we never go during "high" times. I'm seen parents pitch a fit when they went through the Single Rider line with their kids and then got split up. Poor CMs that have to deal with those people. We heard one flat out ask an irate Mom, "Ma'am, this is the SINGLE RIDER line. It clearly states that YOU WILL BE SEPARATED. Did you not understand that?" And when they refused to be separated, the CM made them go through the Stand-By line.

That was on Test Track, BTW.
    I have also seen them enforce this rule - both on Test Track and on Expedition Everest.
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

I think the new system makes you plan down to the minute and some people like to vacation that way, but my family likes to go with the flow...and having to plan every moment 60+ days out isnt fun....

i think the old fastpass system had its flaws as well, but at least when you actually had to GO to the ride to get a fastpass it spread people out around the park. if you wanted to ride everest first thing but also wanted to get fast passes for the safari you had to choose which direction you wanted to go in. i dunno. not a huge fan of FP+

Post Thanks / Like

It's my impression that the new system is designed for one purpose: to coerce guests to spend more on lodgings if they want the same quality of experience they're used to.

And this is coming from a person who believes capitalism is a big part of what makes this country great.

But there is something called price-gouging, and it's very unseemly. That's how I view this, which is why I use the word "coerce" and not "encourage." It's at the point where Disney management seems to want to charge "all the market will bear," and that's going too far, imo.

There's also a thing called corporate responsibility. Disney is a cultural institution that has become part of our national heritage. It's an increasingly profitable, major American corporation that owes its success to its loyal patrons. When they go too far with pushing the profit motive down our throats, they begin to descend the slippery slope of greed.

Walt would never have lost sight of his mission to provide a place where adults and kids can have fun together. Current management needs to back off a bit from these thinly-veiled money grabs. They make it increasingly difficult to ignore that people are manipulating our wallets, and to simply focus on the magic that Walt created, we grew up with, and for which everyone on this site has a special place in their heart.
    "Good evening ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls. In just five minutes...."

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: