Quantcast Spontaneous trip and Fastpass-it's not working out!

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Spontaneous trip and Fastpass-it's not working out!

So DH gets "last minute" invite to do a training close to WDW. We all decide to accompany him, so three weeks out, we are planning a WDW visit. I'm an old hat at this, but with this new system, UGH! No option for Mine Train, they are all gone, and can't get earlier times for some of our faves like TSM. Pulling my hair out. Was excited to plan, now see most of our options are limited, some are gone altogether. Just venting, but boy, this trip is costing $$$ as you all know, and no chance for getting these fastpasses we desire. Ugh.
    Lisa
    Multiple visits over Multiple years
    30 plus stays at Disney's Polynesian resort

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, that's not ideal. They do need to work out a few things with the new system, I think. But, you've been around enough to still find plenty to do that you love and not be all that bothered, maybe? I hope? Good luck!
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

I think your making a bigger deal out this then it should be. You can allways use the stand by line to ride the rides you don't have a fast pass for. Go first thing in the morning and get on line before the rush or go last thing in the day most ride quite down around then. Worse case you wait on line for 30 min or an hour or maybe longer but as long as you have fun what the deal. I remeber the days before fast pass when eveyone stood on one line.
    Have a good trip.

One little spark of in inspiration is how our minds creat creation. Right at the start of everything that new one little spark lights up for you

Energy you are profound you make the world go round and round. You make the world go round

Post Thanks / Like

Lisa, try to go in to change my fp and see if you can find better times for TSM. I've been able to make my schedule more to what I want that way. The selections they give are oft times just trying to direct the crowds where they want them.
    - Lynn -
    INTERCOT Staff: Theme Parks, DVC

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VWL Mom View Post
    Lisa, try to go in to change my fp and see if you can find better times for TSM. I've been able to make my schedule more to what I want that way. The selections they give are oft times just trying to direct the crowds where they want them.
    Lisa, Definitely do what Lynn suggests. If you only go with what they suggest, the time often doesn't work. Unless it is a holiday weekend there might be more TSMM times out there but you have to go into the change time to find them.

I do mine at the last minute a lot since I'm local and usually don't have more than 30 days. I pick what is close to what I want, then I go in and change them and move times.

The Mine Train unfortunately is just tough. It usually gone at around 30 days but if you check back or break up your group into smaller groups, it sometimes comes up but it is definitely a hard one to get.

It's hard to get used to but I try to remind myself when I get frustrated that under the old FP system I had no control over the times at all.
    Cindy aka AgentC
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations, Dining, Movies, TV, Music & Musicals

Post Thanks / Like

Keep checking back as you get closer. I tried forever to get Mine Train and a little over a week before we left to go one popped up!
    Ashley
    Wife to James
    Mom to Cassidy & Kenzie
    Disney Honeymoon~~Aug. '02 Off Property
    1st Family Trip~~Feb. '13 ASMovies
    Surprise Trip!! Dec. 2014!!! Off Property
    Next trip booked! July 2015! Wyndham Bonnet Creek!!

Post Thanks / Like

The new FP system is designed for making plans 60+ days out. It is the first salvo in forcing people to stay on property. The next big change will be Deluxe Resort guests can reserve 60 days out, Moderate 50 days out, Value 40 days out, then AP holders 30 days out. Everyone else the day of. After that change comes into effect, they will alter it more where Deluxe get 5 FPs per day, Moderates 4, Values and AP 3, and everyone else 1 on the day of.

This is all planned. Once they make the final changes, the rates for Deluxe and Moderate resorts will go even higher. They have no lack of people visiting and they will find the easiest ways to get the money from them.
    1 Week at Wyndham Bonnet Creek 06/17/17 - 06/24/17; 1 Week at Orange Lake Resort 06/24/17 - 06/30/17; 1 week at OKW 12/03/17 - 12/10/17

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BigRedDad View Post
    The new FP system is designed for making plans 60+ days out. It is the first salvo in forcing people to stay on property. The next big change will be Deluxe Resort guests can reserve 60 days out, Moderate 50 days out, Value 40 days out, then AP holders 30 days out. Everyone else the day of. After that change comes into effect, they will alter it more where Deluxe get 5 FPs per day, Moderates 4, Values and AP 3, and everyone else 1 on the day of.

This is all planned. Once they make the final changes, the rates for Deluxe and Moderate resorts will go even higher. They have no lack of people visiting and they will find the easiest ways to get the money from them.
    This is a good analysis, kinda like the income tax and payroll withholding: people never would have stood for it if they got the money first and then had to send it to the government. FP at Disney will likely always be "free". It's the hotel rooms that come with the "free" FP and other benefits that will go up in price.
    1971 (age 15) MK was new!
    1974 off-site (Senior Trip)
    1982 off-site
    1988 off-site
    May 2002 AS-Sports, with DW & kids
    May 2004 Pop Century
    Feb 2005 Wilderness Lodge
    Oct 2006 Pop Century
    Oct 2008 Camped at Fort Wilderness
    Feb 2010 Cruise on the Wonder
    Dec 2014 POFQ for Christmas!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BigRedDad View Post

Any sources for this "plan" involving the resorts?

Hearing it from message board rumors (not just here) isn't the same as seeing it legitimately reported.

Post Thanks / Like

This is why a lot of people hate the new system....Not for last minute vacations.....not for people staying off site....not for locals who want to go for day trips.

For this vacation try Universal.....you will love the easy of the vacation and not having to take any transporation to get to the parks.
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not a fan of the new system...at all.

Had a late time for TSM... and absolutely could not change it.

We rode on less this past trip too....

However, if you get up and get out, you should get on your favorites!

Have a great magical trip!
    Julie
    Next Up:

Summer 2018... WE ARE BACK!!!
    2 families
    4 teenagers and Larry
    Taking on the parks!

Post Thanks / Like

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Figment50 View Post
    I think your making a bigger deal out this then it should be. You can allways use the stand by line to ride the rides you don't have a fast pass for. Go first thing in the morning and get on line before the rush or go last thing in the day most ride quite down around then. Worse case you wait on line for 30 min or an hour or maybe longer but as long as you have fun what the deal. I remeber the days before fast pass when eveyone stood on one line.
    Have a good trip.

I wish they would go back to one line - then it would move just fine and everyone - wdw veterans, rookies, newbies - would have an equal chance to ride. And I'm pretty sure that the lines would move smoothly. Uh . . . at least until the ride broke down . . .
    Shannon

~It's not the number of breaths you take, it's the moments that take your breath away~
    ~You should never take more than you give~ The Circle of Life

Post Thanks / Like

Well, logged on this a.m, and got Seven Dwarfs mine train and TSM! Woot woot! Persistence paid off!
    Lisa
    Multiple visits over Multiple years
    30 plus stays at Disney's Polynesian resort

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mouseketeer mom View Post
    Well, logged on this a.m, and got Seven Dwarfs mine train and TSM! Woot woot! Persistence paid off!
    Glad it all worked out, have a great trip!
    - Lynn -
    INTERCOT Staff: Theme Parks, DVC

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mouseketeer mom View Post
    Yay! Good news.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

I hope not. That is what I dislike about universal. The expensive hotels have the fastpass or you can buy one. The cheap hotel line they started does not get them. The richer folks get more. It's just business.
    Boardwalk
    Animal Kingdom Jambo
    Coronado Springs
    POP
    POP
    POP
    POP
    Riverside

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LVT View Post
    I hope not. That is what I dislike about universal. The expensive hotels have the fastpass or you can buy one. The cheap hotel line they started does not get them. The richer folks get more. It's just business.
    Don't worry... that FP cost is already rolled into the cost of the higher end resort stays. You're either paying for through your room cost, or you can stay in a less expensive resort and buy it. Pretty much the same.
    NEXT TRIP - DCL Fantasy Oct. 2016
    Yacht Club - Oct. '14, Dec. '15
    Poly - Dec. '07, '09
    Grand Flo - Too many times to keep track!
    CBR - May '10, Oct. '10, Dec. '11
    POR - Sept & Dec '03
    AoA - Oct. '12, Dec. '13
    Pop - May '11

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SurferStitch View Post
    Don't worry... that FP cost is already rolled into the cost of the higher end resort stays. You're either paying for through your room cost, or you can stay in a less expensive resort and buy it. Pretty much the same.
    Let's take a look at FastPass vs. FP+ in the same vein....

With the original FastPass system, it was first-come, first-served. People who knew the system, whether they were staying on Disney property or not, got what they wanted by arriving early and stockpiling FastPasses (until they actually started enforcing the time windows). People who didn't know the system - first time visitors, for instance - ended up standing in long queues whether they paid the extra money to stay on Disney property or not.

A lot of first-timers or one-timers paid a lot of money to stay on Disney property and enjoy a visit, only to get shut out of some attractions or have to wait while the above mentioned group zips right on through. (I blame this on the 80/20 rule, but that is a whole different soapbox.)

Believe it or not, there are still some people who do not do research before visiting.

So, Disney comes up with this new system to do a number of things:
    • Cut down on stockpiling FastPasses (FP)
    • Allow more visitors to get FP
    • Allow those staying on property access to FP before those staying off property (weekenders and AP holders who know the system well and play it for all it's worth)

You already pay more than standard (for the area) for rooms on-property. To me, that means you are already paying for FP+ and Disney Transportation. Why shouldn't those people get a bit of "preferential treatment" on what they are paying extra for?

I am not a fan of the FP+ system myself, but I just don't get some of the complaints. Next thing you know, people will complain about Single Rider lines because they (can) make the Stand-By line move slower.

There will always be complaints, so let's just make the best of the situation while we can.

OK...off my soapbox now...
    -Bud

Walt Disney World:
    9/03 - CBR
    1/09 - BWV
    9/05; 2/07; 12/07; 9/08; 9/09; 9/10; 9/11; 12/13; 12/17; 4/18; 10/18, 4/23 - PC
    5/15 - POR
    1/22 - ASMO
    10/22 - ASMU

Disneyland: 12/15 - Paradise Pier Hotel

Next up: ???

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PopPhan View Post
    Let's take a look at FastPass vs. FP+ in the same vein....

With the original FastPass system, it was first-come, first-served. People who knew the system, whether they were staying on Disney property or not, got what they wanted by arriving early and stockpiling FastPasses (until they actually started enforcing the time windows). People who didn't know the system - first time visitors, for instance - ended up standing in long queues whether they paid the extra money to stay on Disney property or not.

A lot of first-timers or one-timers paid a lot of money to stay on Disney property and enjoy a visit, only to get shut out of some attractions or have to wait while the above mentioned group zips right on through. (I blame this on the 80/20 rule, but that is a whole different soapbox.)

Believe it or not, there are still some people who do not do research before visiting.

So, Disney comes up with this new system to do a number of things:
    • Cut down on stockpiling FastPasses (FP)
    • Allow more visitors to get FP
    • Allow those staying on property access to FP before those staying off property (weekenders and AP holders who know the system well and play it for all it's worth)

You already pay more than standard (for the area) for rooms on-property. To me, that means you are already paying for FP+ and Disney Transportation. Why shouldn't those people get a bit of "preferential treatment" on what they are paying extra for?

I am not a fan of the FP+ system myself, but I just don't get some of the complaints. Next thing you know, people will complain about Single Rider lines because they (can) make the Stand-By line move slower.

There will always be complaints, so let's just make the best of the situation while we can.

OK...off my soapbox now...
    I agree with this 100%!

I sincerely hope they do not do away with Single Rider lines, though I have noticed for the last few years, even before there was such a thing as FP+, they will sometimes close the Single Rider lines for Rockin Rollercoaster and Everest.
    Christine șoș

Intercot Staff-Accommodations, Dining, Guests with Special Needs

Please support Intercot's Sponsors

Post Thanks / Like

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
    I agree with this 100%!

I sincerely hope they do not do away with Single Rider lines, though I have noticed for the last few years, even before there was such a thing as FP+, they will sometimes close the Single Rider lines for Rockin Rollercoaster and Everest.
    Interesting that you mention single riders line as I have noticed that this appears to be the latest 'abuse'. I noticed that there were a lot of families in the line that when at the front would then say 'oh (s)he's too small/ afraid to ride by themselves - can they go with me/Daddy?' So then the family would split into groups of 2. Even though they were in the single rider line, I never once saw them denied and there were quite a few of doing that.
    It's sad and reinforced bad behavior.
    Shannon

~It's not the number of breaths you take, it's the moments that take your breath away~
    ~You should never take more than you give~ The Circle of Life

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: