Quantcast Family of 5

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Family of 5

Post Thanks / Like

Default Family of 5

Hoping to go to Disney at the end of August. We are a family of five and in the past we have stayed in 2 adjoining rooms at POP. Considering upgrading and staying at port Orleans riverside. What would you do? Any advice would be great!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I would upgrade or try Art of Animation Suite. Whichever is cheapest
    Pirate Granny

October 2020 — 3 nights OKW, 3 nights Poly Lakeview and 1 night BWV studios
    November 2020 — BRV studio 9 nights
    December 2020 entire family GV OKW
    December 2020 January 2021 BCV studio

OH YEAH BABY !!! Proud owners at OKW + BCV + BRV + RR

Post Thanks / Like

Don't forget that Caribbean Beach is now an option for a family of 5.....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jennyteb View Post
    Hoping to go to Disney at the end of August. We are a family of five and in the past we have stayed in 2 adjoining rooms at POP. Considering upgrading and staying at port Orleans riverside. What would you do? Any advice would be great!
    We are heading down in four days, staying at POR and are a family of 5, kids are 12-10-8. Two queen beds and a pull down Murphy bed. When POR went thru their refurb in 2012, I think they lost storage space, and it can be tight. But we love it there. We bring down one of those collapsable sweater hangers that ends up unfolding to 5 squares and hangs from the coat hanger. Great for socks, undewear, t-shirts etc.

We love Riverside, has so much to offer and imho, has the best pool of the mods.

As another mentioned, CBR just opened up to families of 5.

Howell, MI (Detroit) - 1176 miles from the Wilderness Lodge
    Post Thanks / Like

Riverside is a great resort, I would upgrade from POP if you're considering it.
    Up Next:
    1/2016 - VGC - Disneyland

1996 - Off Site
    1998 - Off Site
    1999 - FW Cabins
    2000 - ASM
    2000 - FW Cabins
    2001 - ASM
    2002 - Wilderness Lodge & Fairy Tale Wedding
    2004 - ASMu
    2006 - VWL
    2007 - CSR
    2008 - SSR
    2009 - VWL
    2011 - POR & BWV
    2013 - AKL - Kidani
    2015 - Disneyland

Post Thanks / Like

Port Orleans Riverside.

Can't beat Yehaa Bob's performances at the River Roost and the boat ride to Downtown Disney.

Love it there...

Whatever you decide, it will be a great trip!
    Carrie

CBR: 2/21-2/25/17
    POR: 6/4-6/11/16
    POFQ: 11/15-11/19/15
    8/28-9/1/14 -DL-Dumbo 19.3 C2C
    POR: 1/7-1/14/14 -Dopey 48.6
    POR: 6/11-6/17/13
    ASMu: 1/11-1/15/13 -1st Full 26.2
    ASMu: 9/22-9/28/11
    ASMu: 6/7-6/13/11
    Pop: 1/30-2/6/10
    Pop: 2/1-2/7/09
    Pop: 1/08
    ASMu: 05/06
    Off-site: 12/93

Post Thanks / Like

I assume you are considering getting one room at POR since they sleep 5 instead of the 2 you current get at Pop?

I really like the moderate resorts and POR is lovely. I just stayed there for marathon weekend. However two things to consider is how much does having the second bathroom mean to you? You will lose that if you move to one room. You will also have more people in less space and lose one bed.

If none of that matters to you, I would definitely upgrade but if you do things like put the kids to sleep in one room while the adults stay up in the other it may not work for you.
    Cindy aka AgentC
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations, Dining, Movies, TV, Music & Musicals

Post Thanks / Like

Check out the WDW Dolphin prices. Chances are you can get a much better deal, with easy walking distance to Epcot and DHS, boat service to Epcot, DHS, and the Epcot resorts, and a bigger room with much better beds. The views can be spectacular with the resort view. We were once Disney purists until we stayed at the Dolphin....now it is our home away from home at least once a month! They have Disney guest services, the disney store, and include extra magic hours.
    My first home is in Coastal Georgia, 30 feet from the saltwater marsh, and 3.5 hours from WDW!My second home is the Walt Disney World Dolphin Resort!CR,Poly,GF,BC,BW,WL,AKL,Dolphin,Swan,DL,CSR,POFQ,C BR,POP,AS,Vero.

Post Thanks / Like

Have never stayed at the Dolphin, but I would look at that. Otherwise, definitely Port Orleans Riverside. Great resort. Just remember that only Alligator Bayou sleeps five, so you won't be in one of the Mansions.
    2002 - 2022: 20+ visits (POR, BW, All Stars, VWL, CSR, BLT, BC, SSR, CB, Dolphin, OKW, Poly, offsite x8)
    DL - 1996, 2019
    Next up - January 2023 short trip! We just want to try that 50th Anniversary chocolate monstrosity at Mexico!

Post Thanks / Like

Pricing out your options is a good idea but.....

Consider the importance of having two bathrooms at your disposal.

We love Port Orleans Riverside for our family of 5 but whenever we do an adjoining room option someone always comments on how great it is to have two bathrooms.
    ~Maureen

"All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them."~Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

How does room size at POR compare to a studio at VWL that hold 5 ? Looks like it would only be a couple hundred dollars more to upgrade to deluxe studio by renting DVC points.
    16 trips to "The World"

Last trip - April 2018 - Polynesian
    Next trip to WDW - December 2018 - Beach club

"Disneyworld will never be complete. It will continue to grow as long as there's imagination left in the world."

Post Thanks / Like

Never stayed there but the Fort Wilderness Cabins look to be a good option.

I have same issue and family members are older now and can't exactly share beds and such. This is what drove me to finally stay off site and rent a whole 3 bedroom condo for price of about a value on property and like 5 minutes from DD.
    Summer 1978 - off site
    July 2000 - CBR
    May 2001 - PoR & AKL
    Dec 2002 - WL
    Apr 2003 - ASs
    Feb 2004 - Poly
    May 2005 - ASs
    June 2006 - ASs
    June 2008 - Pop
    June 2010 - PoR
    May 2012 - Hilton Garden Inn
    June 2014 - Floridays Resort
    December 2014 - CBR
    March 2015 - Swan
    June 2015 - Pop

Post Thanks / Like

I love POR, especially in the warmer weather, since the pools are quite good!

How old are the kids? It will be a bit tight with 5 in the room, and I'd worry about only having one bathroom, could make getting ready a long process.

But, it is a lovely resort, and there are slides at the main pool (at POR and FQ), so that is a deal-maker for my DD.
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

2 things for Riverside, Taking boat to Downtown Disney and the piano man is awesome.

Post Thanks / Like

For something differnet, I would go for POR! We've stayed there before and liked it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DebK View Post
    Don't forget that Caribbean Beach is now an option for a family of 5.....
    Hold on.....what? I take a little time off for the West Coast parks and CBR upgrades to hold 5 people! When did this happen? Are there any pics or write-ups I can read about? Thanks. This is good news. Perhaps we can find a way to get back to WDW again.
    My name is Gator. You killed my Sorcerer's Hat. Prepare to die.

DL 2-17,8-17, 11-17; DL 2016; DL 11-2015; DL-DL-Hotel 2-2015; DL 2014; DL-Paradise Pier 2013; POFQ Dec 2012; CSR - Jan 2011; AKL-Kidani - Jan 2010; A.S.Mov - Dec 2008; CSR - Dec 2006; DL Feb 2006; CBR - Feb 2004; POR - Jun 2002

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gator View Post
    Hold on.....what? I take a little time off for the West Coast parks and CBR upgrades to hold 5 people! When did this happen? Are there any pics or write-ups I can read about? Thanks. This is good news. Perhaps we can find a way to get back to WDW again.
    Yes! CBR now has rooms that sleep 5! We are a family of 4, but I am happy that larger families now have another affordable option. My SIL and her family of 5 love POR, but they are kinda burnt out on it. They are looking forward to getting to branch out a bit on their next trip.

You should be able to find some pics by doing a search. The rooms have a sort of Polynesian feel. They aren't as bright as they were before. I've seen several complaints about that, but I find the rooms look much better now. I like the cleaner, updated look much better than those tacky, dirty bedspreads that were replaced.
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Next Trip: ???

Post Thanks / Like

I'm pretty sure 1 room at POR is cheaper than 1 rooms at POP.

POR is our favorite moderate. We have stayed there many times. The only issue to consider is bathrooms. I am not sure how old your kids are, but will you be able to get ready with only 1 bathroom? Just something to consider.
    First Trip ¨¨*:•
    Fort Wilderness Resort and Campground - June, 1974

Last Trip ¨¨*:•
    Port Orleans/Saratoga Springs - March, 2017

Next Trip ¨¨*:•
    Bay Lake Tower - March, 2018

And about 40 more in between....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewJackson View Post
    I'm pretty sure 1 room at POR is cheaper than 1 rooms at POP.
    I think you meant to say 2 rooms at Pop?
    Steve (aka brownie)
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations & Mousellaneous
    ASMv 4/00, 10/01, 11/03, 5/21
    ASMu 8/12, 11-12/22
    AKL 6/18
    BC 9/94
    CSR 8/14, 3-4/22
    POP 11-12/10, 3/12, 10/12, 7/17, 4/22
    POFQ 10/01
    POR 9/04, 1/16, 11/19
    WL 12/03
    Disneyland 6/07, 1/15
    Disney Dream 8/14

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gator View Post
    When I was researching our late January trip last December, for the Stay-Play-Dine offer, CBR was not pulling up for us as an option, period, rack rate or SPD (we are family of 5).

When I started looking again in January to finalize our trip, CBR came up as an option. We were able to lock into POR, which is our favorite, so we went with that, but pretty certain January 2015 is when they started allowing families of 5. I don't know how much of the resort is open to a family of 5, but I am somewhat guessing that it is like POR, where only certain sections are available.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: