Quantcast Walt Disney Company Files Permits for 1.08 Acre Expansion to Epcot's World Showcase - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Such a shame - glad to see new attractions but really new development for a meet n greet. So much lost potential in my opinion. Pretty much echoing what was already said.
    "Jammin' in the jungle to the rhythm of one!"

Proud mom of Elias - born Sept 2008!

WDW College Program Alum-Fall 2001

I runDisney - 2010 DL Half, 2012 Coast to Coast DL Half and Wine & Dine, 2014 Tinker Bell Half, 2014 Avengers Half, 2015 Pixie Dust Challenge, 2015 Dumbo Double Dare

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Janmac View Post
    Agreed. My first thought was finally! Then, oh .

Jan
    Perfect description of my reaction!

I would rather see something different. I can't fault Disney for cashing in on something that has a HUGE fan base. I'm one of those people who liked the movie, but was surprised by the craze. But, something about it connected with a huge number of little ones in a big, big way and it's going to be a crazy popular m&g.
    Susanne

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by janmac View Post
    agreed. My first thought was finally! Then, oh .

And then i thought at least the meet & greet might keep the congestion down inside norway itself. :d

jan
    ditto!!!!
    NEXT TRIP - DCL Fantasy Oct. 2016
    Yacht Club - Oct. '14, Dec. '15
    Poly - Dec. '07, '09
    Grand Flo - Too many times to keep track!
    CBR - May '10, Oct. '10, Dec. '11
    POR - Sept & Dec '03
    AoA - Oct. '12, Dec. '13
    Pop - May '11

Post Thanks / Like

Angry ...the lowest common denominator...

They are pandering to the lowest common denominator with cash grabs
    Who are those you call the lowest common denominator, Frozen fans? Disney is simply meeting a HEAVY demand for guests to meet and greet Anna and Elsa and I imagine that the new attraction and the "simple" meet and greet location will be filled with Disney magic. I just wonder how many pairs of Anna and Elsa's there will be to satisfy the meet and greet needs, and will the meet and greet continue at the Magic Kingdom as well? The show at DHS is VERY entertaining, and the kids just love Anna and Elsa, who like Stitch did a decade ago, are taking over WDW. I'm sorry, but the kids have just as much right to have their demands met as adults do.
    I'd rather be@Walt Disney World :)<br />'04<br />&gt;12/17-24@AS:S,MVMCP<br />&gt;12/3-5@AS:S,MVMCP<br />10/22-24@PC,MNSSHP<br />10/8-10@AS:S,MNSSHP<br />8/1-6,9/10@DoI:N,9/11-12,9/26@DoI:BB<br />7/16-19@PC<br />7/2-5@AS:Mv<br />6/18-21@PC<br />1/1-4,1/16-18,5/4-11,6/5DoI:MI<br />42 days, so far@WDW in '04<br />&gt;586 days@WDW as of 1/1/4<br />'02)68 days@WDW+3 DoI:MI+MJ+Pr, MNSSHP, MVMCP<br />'02)65 days@WDW+1 DoI:Pr, MNSSHP, MVMCP<br />'01)53 days@WDW+1 D.onIce:TS2, MNSSHP, MVMCP<br />'00)36 days@WDW+MVMCP<br />'99)46 days@WDW+MVMCP<br />'72-'99)AS:Mu, DIx2, Poly x2, GF, C

Post Thanks / Like

interesting note about this meet and greet, they are already out of FP's and CM's are now handing out paper return tickets to come back in 12 months and get in line

Apr 2007 - ASMu
    Apr 2008 - Offsite
    Nov 2009 - ASMu
    Feb 2011 - CBR
    Aug 2011 - ASMu
    Aug 2012 - POFQ
    Sept 2013 - POR/AKV
    Mar 2014 - AKV
    Aug 2014 - AKV
    June 2015 - VGC/Aulani
    Nov 2015 - POP
    Aug 2016 - CSR/AKV
    Oct 2017 - AKV/BLT

Post Thanks / Like

This needed to happen for no other reason then to have space for the massive crowds that are going to be decending on the Norway pavilion. As we have seen Frozen is a gigantic draw. Could you imagine the scene in Norway if the area wasn't expanded in some way?

This will allow for space for the crowds to go. Also, I am really hoping that this meet and greet building will have several rooms-I would do at least 4-to allow for 4 sets of characters at once to finally cut that line down.

And don't count me as one of the people who think Disney is no longer a leader in the industry. Carsland and the Fantasylsnd expansion have proven that Disney can still make quality attractions. From all accounts the Avatarland is going to be spectacular and they are about to totally redo Studios let's see what they produce with that before declaring Disney dead.

This feels like the old Mark Twain quote, "The reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated."

Post Thanks / Like

Echo most comments here - Meet & Greets are now sadly the Disney "norm"....little imagination, small footprint, easy to set up and money in the bank. And to think, back in the day the characters wandered the property with the rest of us - OMG!! There's still creativity going on with the future HS overhaul, AK addition, etc. but for a cash cow company like Disney the money does not seem to trickle down to the Imagineering or, better yet, the maintenance of the 'World'....

Pretty soon going to the parks will feel like visiting Santa at the mall, over and over again!
    March 99 - POFQ
    Feb 04 - WL
    Feb 05 - POLY
    Nov 05 - CB
    Oct 06 - POLY
    Nov 07 - POLY/BC
    Nov 08 - BC
    Mar 10 - WL
    Nov 10 - POR-Riverside
    Apr 12 - POR-Riverside
    Mar 13 - POR
    Jan 14 - WL
    Nov 14 - POR-Riverside
    Mar 16 - POLY
    Aug 17 - POLY
    Aug 18 - BC

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DonaldDuck1117 View Post
    Could you imagine the scene in Norway if the area wasn't expanded in some way? This will allow for space for the crowds to go.

And don't count me as one of the people who think Disney is no longer a leader in the industry. Carsland and the Fantasylsnd expansion have proven that Disney can still make quality attractions. From all accounts the Avatarland is going to be spectacular and they are about to totally redo Studios let's see what they produce with that before declaring Disney dead.

This feels like the old Mark Twain quote, "The reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated."
    Exactly!
    I have no problem with the Meet & Greet after seeing the congestion in Norway in 2013.
    1980 Disneyland
    2004 & 2006 Pop
    2008 AKL
    2010 CBR
    2011 POFQ & WL
    2012 CSR & Contemporary
    2013 Villas @ WL Christmas Family Trip
    2014 YC 25th Anniversary Trip
    2015 AoA Spring Family Trip
    2016 Move to Florida and AP Holder

Post Thanks / Like

Default Meet and Greets are what the guests want, or they wouldn't exist

Echo most comments here - Meet & Greets are now sadly the Disney "norm"....little imagination, small footprint, easy to set up and money in the bank. And to think, back in the day the characters wandered the property with the rest of us - OMG!!
    The norm? Disney has always had meet and greets and the standard characters are still the prime meet and greeters, so it's no different...and there's no sadly about it considering the wonderful theming (and magic) of the meet and greet locations, from Belles magical cottage where everyone can be part of her story, to actually talking with Mickey (with his articulate mouth) and Ariel grotto which came with a wonderful new dark ride (we need more of these and less roller coasters). Furthermore, characters still come out and visit at the entrance hub. Back in the day, the characters "wandered the property" because they had no place to go/be and if you didn't get in line fast enough you got nothing. Considering how much the park (referring to the Magic Kingdom) has grown, far more attractions have been added than meet and greets, and the meet and greets that have been added are far better than the norm. And as far as cost goes, the "Entertainers" get a lot more money than the ride operators, so the cost (including their "handlers") of running a meet and greet is more than a normal attraction. And I don't know WHAT you're referring to when you say "easy to set up", because there isn't anything easier to set up then sending a character out into the street like the good old days, whereas now-a-days many of the characters require a themed location for their meet and greets?
    Why people hate on meet and greets which don't hurt anyone and the kids love more than anything and which create those VERY special moments that you go to Disney for is beyond me???
    I'd rather be@Walt Disney World :)<br />'04<br />&gt;12/17-24@AS:S,MVMCP<br />&gt;12/3-5@AS:S,MVMCP<br />10/22-24@PC,MNSSHP<br />10/8-10@AS:S,MNSSHP<br />8/1-6,9/10@DoI:N,9/11-12,9/26@DoI:BB<br />7/16-19@PC<br />7/2-5@AS:Mv<br />6/18-21@PC<br />1/1-4,1/16-18,5/4-11,6/5DoI:MI<br />42 days, so far@WDW in '04<br />&gt;586 days@WDW as of 1/1/4<br />'02)68 days@WDW+3 DoI:MI+MJ+Pr, MNSSHP, MVMCP<br />'02)65 days@WDW+1 DoI:Pr, MNSSHP, MVMCP<br />'01)53 days@WDW+1 D.onIce:TS2, MNSSHP, MVMCP<br />'00)36 days@WDW+MVMCP<br />'99)46 days@WDW+MVMCP<br />'72-'99)AS:Mu, DIx2, Poly x2, GF, C

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Handshaw 100+visits View Post
    . . . . Why people hate on meet and greets which don't hurt anyone and the kids love more than anything and which create those VERY special moments that you go to Disney for is beyond me???
    I don't think of it so much as "hating" on the meet 'n greets, as it is expressing disappointment that a long awaited "expansion" in Epcot is not going to be a new country pavilion, exposition hall or major attraction. If anything, Epcot has contracted with the closure of some attractions (WoL). Plus, you have to consider than the people who post on these boards about Disney's plans are not little kids, and while many of them do have small children, waiting in line for a really long time to see a character doesn't hold the same level of excitement and anticipation as it does for their little ones.
    1971 (age 15) MK was new!
    1974 off-site (Senior Trip)
    1982 off-site
    1988 off-site
    May 2002 AS-Sports, with DW & kids
    May 2004 Pop Century
    Feb 2005 Wilderness Lodge
    Oct 2006 Pop Century
    Oct 2008 Camped at Fort Wilderness
    Feb 2010 Cruise on the Wonder
    Dec 2014 POFQ for Christmas!

Post Thanks / Like

I think part of the problem is that Disney is now breathlessly announcing "attractions" that a few years ago didn't merit more than a quick nod on a guidebook schedule. Now, granted, Disney has always been a bit loose with the definition of an "attraction," (bathroom of the future, anyone?) but it wasn't that many years ago that characters were simply streetmosphere, and, while kind of neat, not something you would write home about. Also, granted, the meet and greet areas are now themed to the hilt, but I think maybe folks would have really liked those funds to go to a real "attraction" that pushes the envelope a bit more.
    "There's a great big beautiful tomorrow shining at the end of every day..."

1973- Disneyland
    1981- WDW- OS
    1991- WDW- OS
    1995- WDW- CBR
    2000- WDW- DLR
    2001- WDW- ASM
    2009- WDW- POFQ
    2010 (November)-WDW POR
    2015 (December...with the grandkids)WDW ASM
    2019- WDW- POR

Howell, MI (Detroit) - 1176 miles from the Wilderness Lodge
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm sure the pavilion will be done well and it's not like they are using a ride pavilion for it (i.e., Snow White's Scary Adventures to Princess M&G). It was an empty lot that will now allow access to a very popular and in-demand Disney IP. With a sequel coming, etc., I don't see the Frozen popularity to dissipate anytime soon with its young fans.

As for the conversion of Maelstrom to the Frozen ride, that I am not on board with.
    Up Next:
    1/2016 - VGC - Disneyland

1996 - Off Site
    1998 - Off Site
    1999 - FW Cabins
    2000 - ASM
    2000 - FW Cabins
    2001 - ASM
    2002 - Wilderness Lodge & Fairy Tale Wedding
    2004 - ASMu
    2006 - VWL
    2007 - CSR
    2008 - SSR
    2009 - VWL
    2011 - POR & BWV
    2013 - AKL - Kidani
    2015 - Disneyland

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joonyer View Post
    I don't think of it so much as "hating" on the meet 'n greets, as it is expressing disappointment that a long awaited "expansion" in Epcot is not going to be a new country pavilion, exposition hall or major attraction. If anything, Epcot has contracted with the closure of some attractions (WoL). Plus, you have to consider than the people who post on these boards about Disney's plans are not little kids, and while many of them do have small children, waiting in line for a really long time to see a character doesn't hold the same level of excitement and anticipation as it does for their little ones.
    I agree and would like to add a little about the negativity towards the meet and greets.

The meet and greets with the characters mostly only appeals to a narrow window age group. I know some will disagree but for the most part it is young girls around ages 6 to 13 or so. Any younger and many are scared of them. A 6ft mouse is sort of scary to small children that don't yet grasp it is a character. Most boys including mine could not have cared less about the characters. They, like myself, felt we were wasting valuable real attraction time while standing around waiting to get a pic with characters. We would much rather the money be spent on real attractions.

The upside to the meet and greets, though, is they pull a lot of the huge strollers off the paths and our ankles for a little while so we can walk around with skin intact.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VWL Mom View Post
    Thanks Jason!

While I've long wanted an addition to the WS, a meet and greet just wasn't what I was looking for.
    Ditto....Disappointed is an understatement!

Jan
    Agreed...

Quote Originally Posted by 1DisneyNut View Post
    I got all excited and then discovered it was a Frozen meet and greet........in the world showcase.
    Quote Originally Posted by Strmchsr View Post
    Given repeated evidence we pretty much need to face facts: Disney is no longer a visionary company wanting to give guests unique and exciting experiences. They are pandering to the lowest common denominator with cash grabs. They still do their guest service things well, but the days of imagination and innovative experiences are gone.
    Quote Originally Posted by VacationDisney View Post
    Like mentioned above got really excited then found out it was a meet & greet and that was the end of my excitement
    Quote Originally Posted by Stu29573 View Post
    Wow. Epic fail on SO many levels...

And speaking of "fails," I just saw where the Avitar movies are being pushed back.. again... I never thought that was a good wagon to be hitched to anyway...
    Quote Originally Posted by Stu29573 View Post
    You know, I liked the movie, but good lord, I didn't like it THAT much! I guess long gone are the days when Disney takes the profits from a smash hit and invests them all back into the creative side of the company. Now its all stockholders and CEO's...
    Quote Originally Posted by joonyer View Post
    All of the above and more. I hope they have more in mind than just this. How can they compare Maelstrom to a meet and greet? Ohh my aching feet thinking of just being in that line. I don't think I could do it.
    Pally

Past Trips

Pop- Dec 2015
    Portofino Bay-(Club)Universal Dec, 2015
    Pop - Oct 2012
    Pop- Aug/Sept 2009
    Wilderness Lodge - Dec. 2006
    Portofino Bay-(Club)-Universal- Dec 2006
    Sheraton Vistana Villages- May 2003
    Sheraton Vistana Villages- April 2002
    Off-site-May 1989-

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pally View Post
    How can they compare Maelstrom to a meet and greet? Ohh my aching feet thinking of just being in that line. I don't think I could do it.
    The Meet and Greet is NOT the replacement for Maelstrom. That is something completely different, even if it IS themed to Frozen. The Meet and Greet is an addition in the space between the Norway and Mexico pavilions. We have yet to see much for detail on the Maelstrom replacement other than it uses pretty much the same footprint as the original ride (+/- the film area???)
    -Bud

Walt Disney World:
    9/03 - CBR
    1/09 - BWV
    9/05; 2/07; 12/07; 9/08; 9/09; 9/10; 9/11; 12/13; 12/17; 4/18; 10/18, 4/23 - PC
    5/15 - POR
    1/22 - ASMO
    10/22 - ASMU

Disneyland: 12/15 - Paradise Pier Hotel

Next up: ???

Post Thanks / Like

....saddest part of all this "anticipated excitement" regarding the 'expansion' ...is that ...given the normal attention span of a person in this day and age (equal to that of a harried gnat) ...the whole Frozen popularity phenomenon will soon be a distant memory.

.....unless Disney intends to pop out something like "Frozen II: The Thaw Continues" ...in the very near future.
    April '04- POP
    "Jersey Week" '04 - ASM
    "Jersey Week" '05- POP
    "Jersey Week" '06- POP
    "Jersey Week"'07- DCL & POP
    "Jersey Week" '08- POP
    Dec '09- Jan '10- POP
    Aug-Sept '10- POP
    Aug-Sept '11- POP
    Aug-Sept '12- POP
    Aug-Sept '13- POP
    Aug '17 - POP

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyDad View Post
    ....saddest part of all this "anticipated excitement" regarding the 'expansion' ...is that ...given the normal attention span of a person in this day and age (equal to that of a harried gnat) ...the whole Frozen popularity phenomenon will soon be a distant memory.

.....unless Disney intends to pop out something like "Frozen II: The Thaw Continues" ...in the very near future.
    Oh, don't worry, there WILL be sequels, . . .
    1971 (age 15) MK was new!
    1974 off-site (Senior Trip)
    1982 off-site
    1988 off-site
    May 2002 AS-Sports, with DW & kids
    May 2004 Pop Century
    Feb 2005 Wilderness Lodge
    Oct 2006 Pop Century
    Oct 2008 Camped at Fort Wilderness
    Feb 2010 Cruise on the Wonder
    Dec 2014 POFQ for Christmas!

Post Thanks / Like

Frozen IV: Global Warming

Post Thanks / Like

And then I thought at least the meet & greet might keep the congestion down inside Norway itself.

Jan
    Definitely how my thoughts went, too. I actually really enjoyed the movie Frozen, but I am so disappointed that when the WS finally gets an "expansion" it is to insert *another* Frozen themed thing.

NEXT TRIP -
    WDW 08/18 ~ First family trip w/our 2 yo, 5 yo, my parents & our best friends &their 2 &5 yr olds.

PAST TRIPS -
    DISNEY WORLD
    04/16 (pre second babymoon), 08/15 (first trip with our own child), 08/10, 08/08, 04/05, 01/04, 04/02, summers 88, 90, 92 and 97.

DISNEYLAND
    03/06

Post Thanks / Like

They are tying to make EPCOT appeal more to families. I like it just the way it is, a few more countries would be nice. NOT more meet and greet.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: