Quantcast help deciding on our first deluxe resort

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default help deciding on our first deluxe resort

Hi All!

We are heading to the World for our 10th anniversary this August, and we're thinking of treating ourselves to a stay at Beach/Yacht Club, or the Poly.

I would love to stay near Epcot, and hang out at Stormalong Bay. DD and DH have always wanted to stay at the Poly, so I may be outvoted.

So, I need your help! A couple of questions:

1. is it worth the splurge for deluxe (we're usually moderate people)

2. if you were choosing between BC/YC and Poly, which would you choose and why?

Thanks!
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Beach Club has my vote. Very close walk to Epcot, you can walk to Hollywood Studios, the mini-water park, and it's where we stayed for our honeymoon!
    Steve (aka brownie)
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations & Mousellaneous
    ASMv 4/00, 10/01, 11/03, 5/21
    ASMu 8/12, 11-12/22
    AKL 6/18
    BC 9/94
    CSR 8/14, 3-4/22
    POP 11-12/10, 3/12, 10/12, 7/17, 4/22
    POFQ 10/01
    POR 9/04, 1/16, 11/19
    WL 12/03
    Disneyland 6/07, 1/15
    Disney Dream 8/14

Post Thanks / Like

I would go with BC/YC over Poly, no contest. We're Boardwalk people and wouldn't think of staying in another resort area. You can't beat the proximity to EPCOT or DHS. The overall atmosphere of the Crescent Lake resorts is wonderful. Plus, there are great food options and plenty of things to do without even going to a park.

Post Thanks / Like

Personally, I don't think the price is worth it because I prefer to spend my money out doing things rather than on accomodations, but everyone's different. If you've got the money, why not. (I usually do value, but occasionally go moderate)

I think my choice would be YC or BC, because I love EPCOT and spend a lot of time there in the evening on every trip.
    CBR - February 1992
    CBR - April 1993
    AS Music - February 1994
    AS Movies - February 2000
    Contemporary/DCL - April/May 2001
    AS Movies - January 2003
    CBR/DCL - September 2005
    Pop Century - May 2007
    Art of Animation - May 2013
    AS Movies - September 2013
    Pop Century - April/May 2015

Post Thanks / Like

YC/BC a hundred times over. The Poly probably will still be a construction zone at that time.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

I think it is worth it to splurge on a deluxe depending on your vacation style. If you are a park warrior getting up early every day and getting late and don't take the time to use the amenities at the hotel , it is not going to be worth it.

Some things I really like at the deluxes- the inside halls, room service, better pools (in most cases), extra activities (kid's clubs, tours, etc), additional dining options, and larger rooms.

Poly versus YC/BC is a hard one for me.

Our favorite area is the Epcot resorts particularly Yacht Club. We just really love the atmosphere there and the walk to Epcot is a plus. Also the pool is fantastic. For me the food situation is a still a down side if you want quick service food. I'm not a big fan of the quick serve at Beach and Yacht doesn't have one but there are plenty of sit down options plus room service. I also find it to be a very pretty resort.

I liked the Polynesian when I stayed there but I didn't love it. No complaints about it but it just didn't strike the chord with me that it has done for others. Also I'd be concerned by the renovation. Will it be done when you go?

On the plus side you have the boat to MK and can walk to the TTC. You also have nice food options there and the view of MK from the beach though I'm not sure how much the new villas are interfering with that. For MK resorts for convenience , my choice would probably be the Contemporary since you can walk to MK but it is not nearly as pretty as the Poly. I really liked the GF when we stayed there but I don't think it is worth the extra cost over the other deluxe resorts.
    Cindy aka AgentC
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations, Dining, Movies, TV, Music & Musicals

Post Thanks / Like

I stayed at YC this past Oct and LOVED IT! Would stay again in a heartbeat!!

Poly is awesome but there is a lot of construction going on and I would not stay there unless I knew for sure it would be finished. I stayed there a few years back and having the monorail to MK and EPCOT was perfect!

Post Thanks / Like

Wow! Sounds like my vote for the YC is a good one.

Now ... to convince DD and DH!
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

I have always wanted to stay at the Poly. It's my dream. It WILL happen one day. That said...

We splurged and got the Beach Club last year, and it was THE BEST STAY EVER.

First off, Stormalong Bay is fantastic. The sand bottomed pool is amazing. Loved it.

But our favorite thing about it was how close we were to Epcot. Our room was out at the end of the Beach Club wing closest to Epcot, so we literally had the 3rd closest room to Epcot's Int'l Gateway entrance. In fact, the Gateway entrance may have been closer than the hotel lobby. We would pop over to Epcot just to get ice cream from France. And after Illuminations? We were back in our room, walking, within 5 minutes! You just can't beat that.
    2002 - 2022: 20+ visits (POR, BW, All Stars, VWL, CSR, BLT, BC, SSR, CB, Dolphin, OKW, Poly, offsite x8)
    DL - 1996, 2019
    Next up - January 2023 short trip! We just want to try that 50th Anniversary chocolate monstrosity at Mexico!

Post Thanks / Like

At the Poly, I watched as family members slid into the pool.

At Stormalong Bay, I slid into the pool. This is the slide that finally got me into a WDW pool. Btw, it's not a pool, it's a water park. Whirlpools, quicksand, lazy river, and that slide.

One major thing to think about: you can get around the whole Beach Club/Yacht Club resort without going outside, unless you're going to Hurricane Hannah's.

At the Poly, to get to the arcade, the counter service, well, any food, shop, etc., you have to go outside from your room. And your trip is during August . . .

For ease of getting to Epcot, Beach Club is best. Studios is a short boat ride or nice stroll away.

Also, there's the whole Boardwalk area which our then 8 year old grandniece adored in the evenings. Especially the magic show.

As for is it worth the splurge? You'll never know til you try.

We've stayed at the Beach Club, the Yacht Club and the Poly (our first on property experience, btw) as well as Caribbean Beach and Port Orleans.

My opinion of a splurge is definitely Beach Club. Yacht Club is good. Boardwalk fine. But I'd wait til the Poly is all done with construction before staying there.

Fyi, our favorite moderate is POR.

Good luck

Jan

Post Thanks / Like

Heather, BC/YC gets my vote. Let Jessica and Dean know that the construction is scheduled to be going on all year, so they'll have to deal with it all around them. That said, Beach Club is scheduled to have room renovations this year. I would say to stay at Yacht Club. Benefit of staying at YC is you are closer to the boat transportation and it is an easy walk over to the Boardwalk for quick service meals at the Boardwalk Bakery or Boardwalk Joe's. Not to mention, you can get an ice cream at Seashore Sweets or wings at ESPN Club.
    Christine ºoº

Intercot Staff-Accommodations, Dining, Guests with Special Needs

Please support Intercot's Sponsors

Post Thanks / Like

I normally stay at moderates but splurged on BC for my trip earlier this month and had no regrets. I personally found YC to feel a bit stuffy so I would recommend BC. I loved being able to walk or boat to Epcot and DHS - I could actually see high fireworks and hear the music from Illuminations from my balcony! I only used the pool for a very quick dip but it was very impressive - would love to have spent more time there. The only negative I found is that I missed the variety of the moderates food court at breakfast.

WDW:
    1991 (offsite)
    2001 (POR)
    2005 (POFQ)
    2006 (1 day trip to Epcot)
    2010 (POFQ)
    2014 (offsite DTD/Epcot)
    2014 (Holiday trip - Beach Club)
    DL:
    1990 (offsite)
    2003 (Paradise Pier)
    2007 (Grand Californian)
    2012 (Grand Californian)
    DCL:
    2012 (2 night cruise from NYC!)

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks all!

I think we're about to take the plunge!

But, we're leaning towards a split stay ... is 3 nights/4 days enough to get a good feel for YC?
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ibelieveindisneymagic View Post
    Thanks all!

But, we're leaning towards a split stay ... is 3 nights/4 days enough to get a good feel for YC?
    I think so as long as you don't pack too much park time in every day. Pretty much all of our trips are over the weekend. We usually do 3 nights but we are very seldom in the parks all day. My kids really love the pool there so we always allow for pool time mid day or in the evening.
    Cindy aka AgentC
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations, Dining, Movies, TV, Music & Musicals

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ibelieveindisneymagic View Post
    Thanks all!

Honestly? Not really. The resort and pool as well as the entire crescent lake area has a LOT going on. 3 nights will give you a taste but you won't be able to get fully immersed and really take advantage of the laid back vibe. I would just recommend pick one resort and commit fully.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

I am not usually a Deluxe resort person. We do not spend too much time at the resort. It is a place to sleep, shower, and swim. After my recent visit to WBC (if I already didn't have our BW suite paid for), I would not stay at a Disney Deluxe. It is simply not worth it when you can save $1000s staying 2 miles from Boardwalk.

Of the ones you mentioned, I would not stay at the Poly with all of the construction. It is atrocious to look at and to take away the beach with the lake DVC rooms is horrible. The location for the BC/YC cannot be beat. You walk to Epcot and DHS. Short bus rides to AK and MK.
    1 Week at Wyndham Bonnet Creek 06/17/17 - 06/24/17; 1 Week at Orange Lake Resort 06/24/17 - 06/30/17; 1 week at OKW 12/03/17 - 12/10/17

Post Thanks / Like

3-4 night stay at Beach or Yacht Club should be fine. Especially if the weather is warm you can head back to the hotel from Epcot or Hollywood Studios and relax then come back out in the evening! Poly is great but to me is where you go for relaxation or to be near MK. Enjoy!
    (46) CB -91,95,08,13 (2)
    Poly-93, 01 Port Orl FQ - 97,98, 09, 10 Riverside 01,09, 18 Coronado -99,08
    BC - 01,03,05,06,07
    Dland 03 AK - 06 Pop-14,18 All Star 14,17,18,23
    Christmas at WL 06,07
    SS - 07,10 WL - 06, 07,10 Epcot 08,21
    GF 11 YC 12, 16, 18, 19, 23 DS 21, offsite 14
    Dolphin 21

Post Thanks / Like

Have you thought about renting DVC points ? I think it's cheaper than going with the cash option. I would personally opt for one of the monorail resorts.
    16 trips to "The World"

Last trip - April 2018 - Polynesian
    Next trip to WDW - December 2018 - Beach club

"Disneyworld will never be complete. It will continue to grow as long as there's imagination left in the world."

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: