Quantcast Solo trip #2 Nov 13-21

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Solo trip #2 Nov 13-21

Long day getting here ! Made drive to San Francisco (1 1/2 hrs) the night before as flight was at 7am. Last time I went alone my son drove me to airport on a sunny morning, nice start to trip. This time I spent rainy night alone in dingy motel without sleeping. Depressing start. JetBlue flights both arrived early and went well. The JFK jetblue terminal that they made a big deal about was pretty disappointing I thought. Got lost at MCO looking for Magical Express, finally found it. Was on bus in like 60 seconds, but then sat & waited for about 20-30 minutes. Pop Century was first stop though. I requested top floor and lake view, didn't get either one. Room is on second floor, 70's bldg. Good news is that it is close to main bldg, so will save some mileage on my feet. MK first, then extra magic hours at EPCOT tomorrow.
    Port Orleans FQ 1992
    All Star Sports 2004
    Contemporary 2004
    Animal Kingdom Lodge 2004
    Pop Century 2006
    Beach Club 2006
    Contemporary 2006
    Anaheim Desert Inn & Suites 2009
    All Star Music 2014
    Coronado Springs 2014
    Pop Century November 2014

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Typically, travel (especially air travel) is not the most fun part of any trip. Hopefully, now that you've arrived and gotten settled in, you'll more than make up for the downer of a start!!
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Friday Nov 14 was first park day. Slept late due to travel exhaustion. Since I know I will be staying out late, I am trying to rest as late in the am as I can. Caught bus to Magic Kingdom at about noon. Crowded, but not terrible. Was able to do pretty much what I wanted to ( I am not a coaster person). TTA, Philharmagic, Buzz, Mansion, Hall ofPrezs, Peter Pan (with FP+) Carousel. Had late lunch at Sleepy Hollow- ham & Swiss waffle. I was starved , but it was too big too finish. Pretty good, my gripe is that waffle is warm, filling is cold. Took lap on RR. Then caught crowded monorail to EPCOT around 6:30.
    Last edited by denygold; 11-16-2014 at 02:38 AM. Reason: Wrong date
    Port Orleans FQ 1992
    All Star Sports 2004
    Contemporary 2004
    Pop Century 2006
    Beach Club 2006
    Contemporary 2006
    All Star Music 2014
    Coronado Springs 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Friday night at Epcot, again it was crowded but not too bad. Rode Spaceship Earth, then hit Cantina for dinner. Had BBQ taco plate, really liked it and would recommend it if it was $10 or so, but $12.50- seriously? Lurked around inside pyramid for a while (love that theming) , rode Amigos, then started towards Canada. Last trip I saw Illuminations three times from Norway, I am determined to try different perspectives this time! Had time to Listen to the Land, and Imagination twice - both rides walk ons. While there were tons of people in area, the good thing about Canada is that you can go up the stairs and get an elevated view of Illuminations. EMH til 11, so I thought I would start by seeing Impressions in France, only to discover it was closed. Ended up doing a Spaceship Earth marathon til 11. Sort of burned myself out on one of my favorites! Buses for Pop come regularly, but they are always crowded! Tomorrow is reverse plan- Epcot first, then MK til 1am!
    Port Orleans FQ 1992
    All Star Sports 2004
    Contemporary 2004
    Pop Century 2006
    Beach Club 2006
    Contemporary 2006
    All Star Music 2014
    Coronado Springs 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Saturday Nov 15- weather is nice, not as warm as I expected. Got going about noon and took bus to Epcot. Started with Ellen's Adventure, then back to Mexico for ride & some shopping. No idea how I am going to fit porcelain cat & bull into my suitcase! Wandered around World Showcase, stopped to watch Chinese gymnasts. Stopped at Biergarten at 3- thought that I could get in at off time, no way. So I went to Liberty Inn and had chicken sandwich which was ok. Lots of seating there inside and out. Voices of Liberty and American Adventure were great as always. Tried to bypass Mitsukoshi Dept Store, but just couldn't do it. For some strange reason I love that place! Saw new music in Morocco, while I won't make it a priority, it feels more genuine . Saw Impressions in France, Lived With The Land again and rode Nemo (love that Queue). At about 8 I jumped on monorail for what would probably be a madhouse at MK. We'll see.
    Port Orleans FQ 1992
    All Star Sports 2004
    Contemporary 2004
    Pop Century 2006
    Beach Club 2006
    Contemporary 2006
    All Star Music 2014
    Coronado Springs 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Some nice touring going on!!
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Saturday night at MK, whoah there's a lot of the human race here. Line for TTA snaking out into dance party territory. Found a place to sit for awhile then jumped in TTA line, only about 10 minutes & got to talk to a pretty lady there with her daughter. From TTA we saw standby time of 20 minutes on Space Mt and they went off to ride it. I declined invitation to "go with" then regretted it two seconds later, but they were already lost in the massive crowd. I have only been single for 2 1/2 yrs, I think I will have the single thing figured out in about 20-30 more years. Watched Wishes from back of park for first time, no idea how many of the fireworks were behind the park! Waited ten min for Mansion, then checked out Momento Mori store- meh. Second Main St Electrical Parade was at 11, at 11:15 I walked up to front row view in Frontierland. Lots of people gone by now. Went and rode Pirates, had snacks- Pretzel (nice) corn dog (not so nice). Then walked through fantasy land again, rode Its A Small World, checked on Pan, sign said 30 min, looked more like 10-15 to me. Finished night with Mansion marathon (4 times). Got in line at 12:55 and drug my feet little so that I was last rider. The hostess was a young, pretty, very short girl and she was Awesome! Never broke character and scared the you know what out of lots of people by sneaking up behind them. Out of park at 1:30 and Pop Century bus was Still full! I got very spoiled last trip by the Coronado Springs buses. Even though the Pop buses are not my favorite- I think the bus logistics that Disney goes through are amazing.
    Tomorrow ( Sunday) Animal Kingdom.
    Port Orleans FQ 1992
    All Star Sports 2004
    Contemporary 2004
    Pop Century 2006
    Beach Club 2006
    Contemporary 2006
    All Star Music 2014
    Coronado Springs 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Sunday Nov 16. Started day by calling to wish my "little" boy Happy 19th birthday. Weather was noticeably warmer, the first couple of days were coolish. Bus to Animal Kingdom after stop at Blizzard Beach, total time from arrival at bus stop to exiting bus, 50 min. Bad bus karma this trip. Arrived at AK at about 1 & started for Dinosaur, but thought better of it as I had skipped breakfast again, so I tried Restaurantosaurus ( I am making a concious effort to try new meal locations this trip). Food choices were limited, I just had burger- it was ok, standard Disney burger. Fixings bar is nice and restaurant is really well themed. Did Dinosaur with FP+, standby looked like about 20 min. To me the park was really crowded, I am used to Sierra and Coast range trails, so maybe I am not the best judge, but the Maharajah and Pangani trails were really packed! Got a beer at the Dawa bar and sat down for Burudika Band 2:50 show- fantastic! Got grapes and cheese at marketplace , then used FP+ for Safari at about 4. Safari was pretty uneventful, Giraffes were active, cheetahs were visible. The "bad" bridge doesn't really even move anymore does it? Wonder why they even bother with that part of the spiel anymore. Back to Dawa for another! beer( that's about a month's worth of alcohol for me- lightweight booze wise) and the 4:50 Burudika show, yes I really enjoy them. Saw 6pm Lion King, outstanding as always. Theatre about half full. Walked out of AK in the dark, first time ever for me- lots of atmosphere. End of day at AK is much calmer. Grabbed bus for AK Lodge, checked out Kidani- never been there. Lobby far tinier than Jambo, but really liked the feeling there. Walked over to Jambo House and just sat in lobby for about 15 minutes soaking it in. Did some shopping, then had dinner at Mara- African Stew was pretty good, slightly spicy , but not much. The ordering system at the Mara is a little chaotic. Back at Pop in room by 9- feels odd to be in so early. The plan tomorrow is MK and Downtown Disney, Looking forward to Raglan Road!
    Port Orleans FQ 1992
    All Star Sports 2004
    Contemporary 2004
    Pop Century 2006
    Beach Club 2006
    Contemporary 2006
    All Star Music 2014
    Coronado Springs 2014

Post Thanks / Like

One more stray thought about Animal Kingdom- there really are a LOT of construction walls up and they are somewhat detracting from the ambience.
    Port Orleans FQ 1992
    All Star Sports 2004
    Contemporary 2004
    Pop Century 2006
    Beach Club 2006
    Contemporary 2006
    All Star Music 2014
    Coronado Springs 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Enjoying tagging along with you
    - Lynn -
    INTERCOT Staff: Theme Parks, DVC

Post Thanks / Like

Love your touring style - going where you want, when you decide to go! Doing an awesome job of sharing all the details with us - Thank you!
    Carol (aka KylesMom)
    INTERCOT Staff: Mousellaneous & Trip Reports
    Last Trip: ICOT 15
    Happy A/P Holder 2002 - 2011

Post Thanks / Like

Keep up the reports!!
    Paging Mr. Morrow... Mr. Tom Morrow. Please contact Mr. Johnson in the control tower to confirm your flight to the moon.

BC: 9/12, 7/13, 1/14, 5/14, 9/14, 1/15, 9/15, 9/16
    GF: 9/16
    SSR: 9/13
    WL: 5/16
    BW: 9/11
    OKW: 7/10
    AK: 6/09
    BLT: 9/15
    CBR: 8/07
    ASMo 12/14
    Offsite: 8/88

Post Thanks / Like

Monday Nov 17- late start as usual and bad bus karma as usual. Long wait for MK bus, arrived at about 1 pm. Feels crowded again, started on TTA, then wandered over to Liberty Belle Steamship which I have never ridden. Relaxing ride, good views of Big Thunder- wouldn't make it a priority to ride. While on ship, it started to lightly rain, no problem. Rode Mansion, sign said 20 min, It was actually about 10. By the way I have lost track of exactly how many times I have done Mansion this trip- 7, 8 ? Never gets old for me. On the way to steamship the wait for Pan was 30 min while IASW was 20. A good illustration of what FP+ hath wrought- I would guess that it would be 45/5 before. After Mansion however, that Pan wait was now 70 min! On way back to Tomorrowland it started to pour, really pour. I got soaked and ducked into Buzz- good decision as 20 min listed wait was actually 5. Did TTA again then checked out Sunny Eclipse while eating chicken sandwich. After good show and mediocre lunch, I went to Adventureland and found Jingle Cruise to be basically a walk on, yeah! Right? Uh oh, as we were loading the skies REALLY opened up. It was an extremely wet trip down the river. The jingle overlay was ok, not particularly exciting. Dried out a smidge on Pirates with about a 10 min wait ( the rain lessened the crowd quite a bit. )At about 4:30 I decided I was done and headed for Downtown Disney.
    Port Orleans FQ 1992
    All Star Sports 2004
    Contemporary 2004
    Pop Century 2006
    Beach Club 2006
    Contemporary 2006
    All Star Music 2014
    Coronado Springs 2014

Post Thanks / Like

My streak of bad transportation guesses continued tonight- I oh so cleverly bypassed the express monorail for the resort line. Then from the crowded queue on that side, I was able to observe three practically empty express monorails arrive and leave before ours arrived. Sigh. Took monorail on to EPCOT, then oh so cleverly waited 20 min for a bus to Port Orleans Riverside so I could ride the boat to Downtown Disney. Arrived at Riverside, checked out the lobby and got to boat dock just as they were closing down the boat. Back to bus stop, waited ten minutes for DD bus, when it arrived, everyone at bus stop converged on it wildly. I backed away, did not want any part of what looked like a sardine can as it pulled away- then, before it even left the stop, another DD bus! Empty seats, calm, minor pixie dust! Had plans to have dinner at Raglan Road, but was not hungry, so I inspected Splitsville ( like it- looks like lot of fun) and noticed that a movie I wanted to see (Interstellar) was playing in 15 min at AMC. I liked it, but it was longgggg. Didn't feel up to Raglan, so started back towards bus stop. Went through World Of Disney- incredibly busy as usual, then checked out the new Co-Op . Seems like a really good concept, they can shift stores around however they want in there. Lots of folks in there too. OK, bus karma has maybe shifted, Pop bus was waiting at bus stop, security guard was nice enough to make sure the bus waited for several other guests and me. Back to Pop by 10:30, had sloppy joe (not recommended -bland and greasy, the onion rings are unhealthy but taste excellent). Picked up my package from EPCOT at store (porcelain bull & cat from Mexico) and back in room by 11. Tomorrow Boardwalk and Studios.
    Port Orleans FQ 1992
    All Star Sports 2004
    Contemporary 2004
    Pop Century 2006
    Beach Club 2006
    Contemporary 2006
    All Star Music 2014
    Coronado Springs 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your reports. Love the solo trips!

Never would have thought to watch Illuminations at top of France stairs. Was it a good view??
    We'll Go On....Off To Neverland

Wishes!

It's A Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow....Where Dreams Really Do Come True

Never Forget It was All Started By A Mouse....TTFN

Post Thanks / Like

View from stairs in Canada was pretty good, not great, but might be a good place to try on a busy night.
    Port Orleans FQ 1992
    All Star Sports 2004
    Contemporary 2004
    Pop Century 2006
    Beach Club 2006
    Contemporary 2006
    All Star Music 2014
    Coronado Springs 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Tuesday Nov 18- welcome to balmy, tropical Florida! Brrrrrr! Left for Studios about noon. Crowds were still with me, packed streets here. Rode Great Movie Ride with only 15 min wait. For the first time ever I got the western shootout scene! I have ridden this ride 10-12 times and it was the gangster every time, I thought the other scene was just a rumor. Walked down towards Tower and Rockin Coaster, then decided to get something to eat at Starring Rolls, not to be as it was 3:05 and they closed at 3:00- on a jam packed day with about a dozen people trying to get in- strange decision. Ah well, off to Toy Story for 3:15 FP+. Standby was 90 min, I was on ride in 15 min. Picked up burger at Backlot Express, basic food, good theming. From there to Indiana Jones Stunt Show, seen it at least six times, never gets old. Then Muppetvision- great as always. My only complaint is that I would like more time in the holding pen to check out the gags, the doors to the theatre always open too soon! Was planning on seeing Osborne lights tonight, but this place is way too crowded, I am out of here to check out EPCOT.
    Port Orleans FQ 1992
    All Star Sports 2004
    Contemporary 2004
    Pop Century 2006
    Beach Club 2006
    Contemporary 2006
    All Star Music 2014
    Coronado Springs 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Walked up just as EPCOT boat was pulling out of Studios dock. Oh well, get to burn off some burger and cookie calories. The walk was beautiful, sky was very photogenic. I was at International gateway 23 minutes after leaving boat dock. Turned into World Showcase and start by seeing Impressions in France again, my fav movie in WDW. Crowd level here is way lower, partly I'm sure because of the arctic weather, but still way fewer than Studios. Hung around Morocco for a while, then circled around to China, inspected terra cotta warriors and saw Reflections. Window shopped in China, then reversed direction, wandered in Italy & Germany briefly. Sat on bench looking out towards Spaceship Earth, found myself starting to get cold & depressed- time to move! Went to Mitsukoshi Store and passed a pleasant half hour. Bought a nice shirt for my son, good luck cat for my ex mother in law. Walked out of store at 8:50 and there was no one along Lagoon in front of Japan.
    By 9:00 there were people there with me, but pretty much everyone had a front row view of Illuminations. Took my time leaving, shopped in Mouse Gear, sat under Spaceship Earth for a while. Hoping to wait out bus throngs. My bus luck is definitely changed- I was that guy this time, you know, the guy that the bus driver waits for with a packed bus that is itching to go. Something to consider about Pop Century, the buses are ALWAYS crowded, even an hour after parks close. The bus stop is also ALWAYS the farthest away too, the price you pay for saving money on your hotel room. Back at Pop by 10:15.
    Big challenge tomorrow, I actually have to drag myself out of bed for Undiscovered Future World tour, need to be at Epcot by 8:45!!!!
    Port Orleans FQ 1992
    All Star Sports 2004
    Contemporary 2004
    Pop Century 2006
    Beach Club 2006
    Contemporary 2006
    All Star Music 2014
    Coronado Springs 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Postscript to Tuesday night at Epcot. Whoever pitched the idea for Spice Road Table clearly has some 'splainin to do. At 7pm I walked through and there were no- zip, nada- tables occupied. At 9pm the only tables used were the five along the water.
    Port Orleans FQ 1992
    All Star Sports 2004
    Contemporary 2004
    Pop Century 2006
    Beach Club 2006
    Contemporary 2006
    All Star Music 2014
    Coronado Springs 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Wednesday Nov 19- it is friggin cold this morning! Left room at 7:40 and froze in EPCOT bus line til 8:05. Let me get my rant out of the way first, the Pop bus service stinks. Long waits, fully packed buses every time. My name was at the gate and I proceeded to a nice warm Customer Relations office to wait for Undiscovered Future World Tour. Tour was very worthwhile, spent time on every part of FW except Energy. Rode Soarin with no wait, went upstairs to old Image Works at Imagination and went backstage twice. It lasts 4 1/2 hrs and is a lot of walking. The costuming department is amazing. Our excellent guide shared a lot of insights and several rumors including an added theatre for Soarin when the new film arrives. He also told us that John Lassiter inspected the Imagination pavilion upstairs and down and "loves" it's potential. After tour hit Ellen's advent, had French Dip Burger at Electric Umbrella (yechh), Listen To The Land, Imagination and O Canada. If you haven't seen all of the films- I think they are all worthwhile, I think France is the best and it has seats, but the other two are very good. Left through Intl Gateway and boarded Friendship boat for Studios at about 5pm.
    Port Orleans FQ 1992
    All Star Sports 2004
    Contemporary 2004
    Pop Century 2006
    Beach Club 2006
    Contemporary 2006
    All Star Music 2014
    Coronado Springs 2014

Share This Thread On Social Media: