Quantcast Sorcerer's Hat Gone - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

I find this news interesting; considering all the speculation and rumors concerning Star Wars and Pixar coming to Hollywood Studios. This might play against the rumors that Star Wars will take over the Echo Lake area.

If they are taking down the hat and leaving the Chinese theater as is (for now) they are going back to the Hollywood street entrance that the park opened with. Putting otherworldly building across adjacent to this would make a jarring undisney like transition. I don't think they are willing to give up 50's prime time and Hollywood & Vine.

I still fear that if Star Wars Land is announced its going to take over Streets of America, LMA, and Muppets. Pixar will get the backlot and the rest of Mickey Avenue.

Aside from all that I will not be sad to see it go, they put it up but never really had a plan for it. It ruined both the visuals of the entrance street and the hidden Mickey. The event stage will look a little more lonely without the hat behind it tho.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Goofy4TheWorld View Post
    In all seriousness, I truly do believe Disney does not have a firm plan on what is next at DHS, and it may well be YEARS before they do.
    They actually do have a plan and brought in the big dogs a couple of weeks ago to go over everything to make sure everyone was on the same page. As noted earlier, they're just waiting until closer to time to actually unveil the plans so it doesn't seem like with Pandora where we have to wait forever from announcement to realization. But good things are coming. I was just surprised they are ready to go ahead and announce the hat being gone, but a couple of our MCP of Intercot got the news directly from a great source and broke the news on Twitter. Now we'll have to see when Disney decides to confirm it.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning, Guests with Special Needs, and Weather Guru

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LittleDreamer View Post
    I don't think they are willing to give up 50's prime time and Hollywood & Vine.
    The plans, at one point (and I stress at one point cause things always change) were for 50's Prime Time and Hollywood and Vine to stay... They wouldn't be included in the plans for Star Wars taking over Echo Lake...

Star Tours would be the end of the corridor which would have been Star Wars...

Seems as if the news is all but official, from Click Orlando:

Disney Spokesman Bryan Malenius just confirmed to Local 6 the park plans to reimagine the park's central plaza by removing the Sorcerer's Hat in early 2015.
    Son of Jor-El.. Kneel before Zod...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

Post Thanks / Like

The Orlando Business Journal has now confirmed what John broke on Twitter this morning:

It's time to take your final photos and say your goodbyes, as the iconic Mickey's sorcerer's hat at Disney's Hollywood Studios will be removed.
    Walt Disney World confirmed to Orlando Business Journal on Oct. 24 that the 122-foot-tall hat, which has been the centerpiece of the theme park since 2001, will be removed. "Work continues on bringing new experiences to life at Disney's Hollywood Studios and we look forward to sharing more information at a later date," said Disney spokesman Bryan Malenius, who declined to provide more details. Our media partner News 13 reported sources said the hat will be removed in early 2015.

There's no word yet on what Disney will put in place of the sorcerer's hat, but the structure already has been taken off some park brochures and maps, as previously reported by Orlando Business Journal.
    This is yet another change for one of Walt Disney World's theme parks, joining rumors that Hollywood Studios is clearing space for a major expansion that could be Star Wars-related or another property in the Disney portfolio, as well as the recent announcement of Epcot's plans to replace Maelstrom with a new Frozen attraction.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning, Guests with Special Needs, and Weather Guru

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Strmchsr View Post
    I was thinking it would be a giant magic band.
    Dear god that is probably it. Frozen or Magic Band..

Nah, has to be frozen. Everything else is. Waiting for Frozen II.

Can't be the magic band.. they won't make them comfortably sized as it is. If they do make the giant one, I'm going to request that one.
    ===================

2016 POR
    2015 CS
    2014 WDW-Offsite
    2014 Disneyland-offsite
    2014 CBR
    2013 Dolphin
    2012 POR
    2012 WDW-Offsite
    2011 ASMusic, POR

1998 Dixie Landings
    1990's, Dixie Landings, Misc Offsite

Post Thanks / Like

Never liked hat. The water tower is the natural icon.
    12/1987 Off site
    12/2000 All star movies
    7/2001 Coronado springs
    7/2001 Animal kingdom lodge
    12/2001 All star music
    7/2003 Port Orleans
    7/2003 All star sports
    7/2004 Pop Century
    7/2010 All star movies
    7/2011 Pop Century
    3/2013 Pop Century
    4/2013 All star movies

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Altair View Post
    They are just replacing it with a giant tiara from Frozen.
    That's funny!

I wouldn't mind if they moved it, but I hope that they don't get rid of it altogether. I think it's a cool symbol of the DHS.
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

Wink

Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by texas211 View Post
    Nah, has to be frozen. Everything else is. Waiting for Frozen II.
    Please no! I know it is inevitable, but I do not see the obsession with this movie. I LOVE Disney and am a bit of a purist,but I thought this was one of the poorer Disney offerings in a while. I know I am alone in this - but still don't get it.

I digress - Love the Hat. Fine - move it but place it elsewhere for photos ops - its so pretty at night.
    Shannon

~It's not the number of breaths you take, it's the moments that take your breath away~
    ~You should never take more than you give~ The Circle of Life

Post Thanks / Like

Won't miss it in that spot but that would be a great idea for it to be in front outside of park.

Maybe permanent fireworks again like Sorcery in the Sky? Wonder if base will be left to be used as a stage.
    We'll Go On....Off To Neverland

Wishes!

It's A Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow....Where Dreams Really Do Come True

Never Forget It was All Started By A Mouse....TTFN

Post Thanks / Like

I always thought this hat should be at the entrance to Fantasmic. Makes so much more sense there although I know why they had to "cover" the Chinese Theater. But does this mean that the theater facade will be going away too? Did they resolve the dispute with the owners or did something else change?
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Wow...so much hatred for Frozen? Relax people...it's just one ride!
    Beth & David

09/82 Treehouse Villas, 06/86 BVP, 10/95 CBR, 10/99 DI, 08/03 PORS, 10/05 POP, 11/06 AKL, 09/09 POLY, 10/10 Wonder, 05/11 Dream/PORS, 08/13 POLY, 11/13 GF, 04/15 POLY, 11/15 BLT, 11/16 Aulani, 03/17 BLT, 08/18 BLT, 07/19 AKL, 06/21 BLT

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EeyoresBestFriend View Post
    Please no! I know it is inevitable, but I do not see the obsession with this movie. I LOVE Disney and am a bit of a purist,but I thought this was one of the poorer Disney offerings in a while. I know I am alone in this - but still don't get it.

I digress - Love the Hat. Fine - move it but place it elsewhere for photos ops - its so pretty at night.
    Well? I have no feelings either way about the hat. I don't mind it, but I won't miss it, either. I WILL say that I have to agree with this Frozen sentiment. I just don't get the hype. I'll be in the parks in a few short days. I'm so curious to see how extensive the "Frozen-ification" () really is? I'm getting a little nervous about it.
    Nice work, pal.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    I always thought this hat should be at the entrance to Fantasmic. Makes so much more sense there although I know why they had to "cover" the Chinese Theater. But does this mean that the theater facade will be going away too? Did they resolve the dispute with the owners or did something else change?
    I researched this issue a few years back and could find no solid info about the supposed contract dispute in using the image of the theater. It seems to be an urban legend that sprung up when the hat was placed, and has been repeated so much that it has come to be accepted as fact. I guess we will soon find out!
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    I do not object to the idea of the hat becoming the entrance to Fantasmic or the Animation building.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PirateLover View Post
    I researched this issue a few years back and could find no solid info about the supposed contract dispute in using the image of the theater. It seems to be an urban legend that sprung up when the hat was placed, and has been repeated so much that it has come to be accepted as fact. I guess we will soon find out!
    Oh, interesting. I have heard it so many times I just assumed it was true.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

I have never seen the Studios without the hat, but I have always felt it is an eyesore at that location and just plain in the way traffic wise. Two minutes ago I was getting quite excited about it's removal. Then I remember how many of the "new and improveds" of late have been anything but better. I just saw the YouTube video yesterday of the new lumberjack show at Epcot, it's really is not what I would call entertaining.
    KAY

DVC MEMBER - OKW & HHI
    First trip to WDW - Dec, 2005
    Last visit to Disneyland - 2014

First trip to Disneyland - 1955

Post Thanks / Like

I feel cautiously optimistic with this move. As long as they don't put something else in its place. Remove the hat and all that other stuff that had begun to pile up around it. Make it more of an open space so we can improve the crowd flow issues at the park. That has been a big problem there for years.

Post Thanks / Like

Would love to see it at the entrance of Fantasmic or outside of the gates at the park entrance.

Post Thanks / Like

I first saw Disney MGM in 1990 with no hat and thought it looked great. When they put it up for the Y2K Celebration, it kind of made sense. It stopped making sense about a decade ago, though. Goodbye and good riddance.
    "There's a great big beautiful tomorrow shining at the end of every day..."

1973- Disneyland
    1981- WDW- OS
    1991- WDW- OS
    1995- WDW- CBR
    2000- WDW- DLR
    2001- WDW- ASM
    2009- WDW- POFQ
    2010 (November)-WDW POR
    2015 (December...with the grandkids)WDW ASM
    2019- WDW- POR

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast