Quantcast Sorcerer's Hat Gone

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Sorcerer's Hat Gone

INTERCOT's Sources are telling us that Disney will announce the removal of the Sorcerer's Hat from Disney's Hollywood Studios shortly. The park icon (much like the wand over Epcot's Spaceship Earth) has been a source of minor controversy since it's introduction. Purists argue that the Great Movie Ride was designed to be the "weenie" of the park while others point to the Earful Tower as the parks symbol. In other news, the Legend of Captain Jack Sparrow is also mentioned to be closing next month.

This is the next step in the complete re-imagining of DHS. Big changes are in store for that park over the next 4-5 years.
    Last edited by John; 10-24-2014 at 11:44 AM.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning, Guests with Special Needs, and Weather Guru

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes! I hope they go back to the original look. And the hat could be placed just outside the main entrance.
    04 Honeymoon ,Swan and off property WDW
    05 1st Annivesary, off property WDW
    07 at All-Star Music WDW
    08 Disneyland
    09 AKV-Kidani Village WDW
    10 AKV-Jambo House/Boardwalk. 11 Kidani Village
    September 2012 Jambo House
    December 2013 Grand Californian

Post Thanks / Like

They are just replacing it with a giant tiara from Frozen.
    Dave aka: Altair
    "Even though they're graceful when swimmin', it's hard to believe sailors thought they were women" - Manatee area, the Living Seas

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't mind if they put it out in front of the park - it is a nice and well-known symbol - just not in front of Graumman's theater!
    "Is there a 12 step program for this Mouse addiction?"

Next Trips:

11/18-11/29 Destination D:Amazing Adventures!! GF for two nights then Caribbean Beach with free dining...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Altair View Post
    Don't give them any ideas.

I'm kinda meh about this change ... and excited to see all of the changes coming, hopefully it will be awesome as I'm imagining it.
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Altair View Post
    I was thinking it would be a giant magic band.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning, Guests with Special Needs, and Weather Guru

Post Thanks / Like

While it's a cool "icon" and good for photo ops, overall it's an eyesore and interrupts the flow of foot traffic, especially on really crowded days. I won't be sad to see it go. Tower of Terror is my preferred park icon for DHS photo ops, anyway.
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Strmchsr View Post
    both of those ideas made it to the final cuts for ideas.....lets hope DHS gets the loving it deserves...and hoping for Epcot too..although the invasion of more princesses to Norway doesn't boost my hopes
    BC 2
    WL CL 1
    AKL 4
    SOG 3
    POFQ 3
    POR 2
    CSR 4
    CBR 2
    Asp 3
    AS m 2
    POP 7
    12-13 WL CSR ASM
    3-14 POR, AS s Dolphin
    6-14 Us CSR
    1-14 Unv
    6-15 WL, SSR.
    11- 15. AOA, OKw
    7 16..CSR, FW, AKL, POR
    7 17..ASM, CSR, WL AKL club POP
    8 18 As sports, Pop
    DL 9-19
    DVC WL, CSR and idk 10-20

Post Thanks / Like

Thank goodness!
    Cruises:
    Feb 12-16, 2012 (Dream), Oct 20-27, 2012 (Fantasy Eastern), Sept 8-12, 2013 (Dream) Jan 20-24, 2014 (Magic) Sept 14-18, 2015 (Dream) Sept 25-29, 2017 (Dream) Sept 22-29, 2018 (Fantasy Eastern) Sept 23-27, 2019 (Dream)

Post Thanks / Like

Lots of good sources confirming this is a done deal... See ya later you big hat... you won't be missed...
    Son of Jor-El.. Kneel before Zod...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

Post Thanks / Like

This is the next step in the complete re-imagining of DHS. Big changes are in store for that park over the next 4-5 years.
    Question for everyone:
    Why hasn't Disney announced what they are doing at DHS yet? Still being planned? A little gun shy about being specific, possibly because they had to change up New Fantasyland plans, and Avatar plans were met with a mediocre response?
    Just curious as to what the thinking may be.
    Bern

WDW - 85,88,89,96,08,10,12,13,16,18,19
    Universal - Cabana Bay, May 2019

August 2020 - Port Orleans Riverside

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by barnaby View Post
    Question for everyone:
    Why hasn't Disney announced what they are doing at DHS yet? Still being planned? A little gun shy about being specific, possibly because they had to change up New Fantasyland plans, and Avatar plans were met with a mediocre response?
    Because they don't want to mess up like they did with Pandora.

They announced Pandora WAY too early. They should have waited until they moved FOTLK and started construction.

It seems like, this time, they are waiting so it doesn't appear as though it takes so long to build something.

Post Thanks / Like

You guys think you know everything. My sources tell me it will be a giant Death Star!

I actually never felt it fit in. The other three icons "castle-spaceship earth-tree of life" were all part of the original park design, and this wasn't (and it shows).

I hope they keep it somewhere, but as a main focal icon, no, time to move it along.

Post Thanks / Like

Legend of Jack Sparrow is rumored to close November 6... Apparently operating times have been removed from the Hub... Any CMs confirm?
    Son of Jor-El.. Kneel before Zod...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

Post Thanks / Like

I saw an article a couple of days ago about how one of the WDW brochures at the FL welcome center had a map of DHS without the hat, with the speculation that it was going away.

Even though I know we must have seen it without the hat (when did that get put in?), I can't remember it. So, I have to admit it will be a little sad and weird for me to see it without the hat. Love the idea of putting it outside the entrance or somewhere else visible though! And really excited to see what all the changes will be.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by barnaby View Post
    Question for everyone:
    My armchair Imagineering tells me that they don't know what they are going to do at DHS, but they just can't resist closing all of this stuff ASAP to save money. Any plans for replacing the near-demolished DHS are likely to be several pie-in-the-sky ideas that the bean counters are working on to significantly strip of any real cash flow.

In all seriousness, I truly do believe Disney does not have a firm plan on what is next at DHS, and it may well be YEARS before they do.
    Disney Dream May 2019, WDW Dec 2019

18 Oct ASMv
    16 (APs) Jan POR, Feb CSR, April ASMv, June BC, Oct Pop & Cabins, Dec ASMv & AKL & Pop, Jan '17 POFQ (10k!)
    15 May Pop&CBR pirates
    13 Oct ASMu&AoA
    10 (APs) June CR, Oct AKL&Pop, Dec Pop
    07 March ASMv
    04 June POR
    94 June Onsite

Post Thanks / Like

Aw I'll be a little sad to see it go. I hated it when it was first put in, but it has really grown on me. However, if this is the first step towards a majir Studios refurb I'm all for it. Now what becomes the icon of the park? I hope it's not the theater, that would be weak. I'd vote for the water tower. So much cooler than the theater.

Post Thanks / Like

Good riddance. And, come on Disney...announce something BIG!
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

I like the hat. Not necessarily THERE, but I like it. I would love it if they would relocate it somewhere. I have some great pictures of that hat.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/25939479@N03/8509618111/
    2002 - 2022: 20+ visits (POR, BW, All Stars, VWL, CSR, BLT, BC, SSR, CB, Dolphin, OKW, Poly, offsite x8)
    DL - 1996, 2019
    Next up - January 2023 short trip! We just want to try that 50th Anniversary chocolate monstrosity at Mexico!

Post Thanks / Like

I never really minded the hat. I preferred the original view of the theater, but it didn't bother me one way or another. However, I did always feel that it took up too much room for something that was essentially an odd gift shop. Here's to hoping GREAT things are coming to DHS in that 4-5 year time frame!!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: