Quantcast Need Advice Please

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Need Advice Please

I've read what all the guides say, but I still would like to hear from you all...

I had to cancel our Sept 2014 trip which is my favorite time to visit and now I am looking to reschedule for either Jan or late Apr.

What has anyone done during these two times of the year and how were the crowds and the weather?

Jan seems to be pretty dead, but colder...

Easter is Apr 5th, so last or second to last week of Apr sounds safe, but not sure...

Opinions???

Thanks to all in advance!!!
    "From the outside looking in, you can't understand it. From the inside looking out you can't explain it"

Jul 84: TravelLodge (Kissimee)
    Sep 02: All-Star Sports
    Mar 06: Coronado Springs
    Sep 11: Wilderness Lodge
    Apr 15: Wilderness Lodge
    Next Trip - Sep 20: Animal Kingdom Lodge

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I have never been in April, I have been quite a few times in Jan/early Feb. Here are some of my observations for you to consider. I hope they help you out.

So, I do not know your touring style, but something you will need to be aware of that may influence your decision is that the parks close much earlier in January.

As far a temps go, we have been there in Jan and Feb during some really COLD times (hat, scarf, gloves, long underwear and coat) and some lovely mild times (short sleeves and a jacket in the evening). It really just depends. I would think that in April, the weather would be more consistent, as far as temperatures go.

I'm not sure when it opens this year, but in April you might be able to get in on the Flower and Garden Festival at Epcot.

If resort prices are a factor, Jan (depending on the day) may have the lower room rate. (please know they will inflate the room rate around Marathon Weekend).

Marathon Weekend will draw a bunch of folks, but I don't think they over-congest the park. When we are there to do the run, we are in the parks minimally before the event in order to save our steps - a lot of the marathon weekend participants will leave late on Sunday or on Monday following the event. A plus to marathon weekend would be the opportunity to meet up with a lot of intercotees - if you want.

Tour groups. I have seen them in the early months, but they have never negatively influenced my experience.

Good luck making your decision!
    Carrie

CBR: 2/21-2/25/17
    POR: 6/4-6/11/16
    POFQ: 11/15-11/19/15
    8/28-9/1/14 -DL-Dumbo 19.3 C2C
    POR: 1/7-1/14/14 -Dopey 48.6
    POR: 6/11-6/17/13
    ASMu: 1/11-1/15/13 -1st Full 26.2
    ASMu: 9/22-9/28/11
    ASMu: 6/7-6/13/11
    Pop: 1/30-2/6/10
    Pop: 2/1-2/7/09
    Pop: 1/08
    ASMu: 05/06
    Off-site: 12/93

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with everything Carrie posted. Just in addition - she mentioned the F&GF, that usually starts mid-March, so you would definitely see that in April.

You mentioned January being, dead. Definitely not. While I agree that I've not had negative experiences with the tour groups, January has become extremely popular with South American tour groups and it can get quite crowded at times (it's their summer break, after all). I still think January will be less crowded than any time in April as you have many school groups, bands, etc. that are in Disney during April plus some spring breakers still coming in. The crowds don't really let up in May anymore, either. They used to, but not in the last 3-4 years.

One factor you may want to consider - several of the big ticket rides close in January for refurbishment. Check the schedule on that to see if a favorite ride will be closed.

And, yes, weather can be extremely variable during January from cold to warm. April is usually warm to potentially hot, especially later in the month, but not as hot (usually) as what you've had in September.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning, Guests with Special Needs, and Weather Guru

Post Thanks / Like

We really love the flower and garden festival at Epcot. It is nice weather and the crowds are manageable if you don't go around a holiday weekend.
    OFFSITE 1975
    OFFSITE 1989
    CBR JUNE 2006
    CBR MAY 2007
    CBR OCT 2008-MNSSHP
    AS MOVIE APRIL 2009
    WILDERNESS LODGE DEC 2010-MVMCP
    CBR NOV 2011
    CBR OCT 2013-FREE DINING PIN!

CBR NOV 2014-FREE DINING
    CBR SEPT 2015
    CBR OCT 2016-FREE DINING BOUNCE BACK OFFER

Post Thanks / Like

Have been to Disney several times in late April. This is my favorite time of year to visit. Always had beautiful weather. Light jacket some early mornings but 80's mid-day. No humidity. Crowds are great. Flower festival is nice. Hours are longer than in January.
    WORK TO PAY FOR DISNEY
    2020 June SOG
    2017 MNSSHP POP
    2014 August Shades of Green
    2012 August POP
    2008 September POP
    2007 April Shades of Green
    2004 April Shades of Green
    2001 March Shades of Green
    1998 December Shades of Green
    1995 March off site

Post Thanks / Like

Agree with other posters take on January.

April - at least arriving 15 April - we found to be quite warm compared to central Missouri. I'd almost rather have the weather roller coaster of January, even when we've had trips with no swimming weather. We're generally still having frosts here, so a warm for Florida April is hard to get accustomed to.

I don't know where in Texas you are located. Perhaps the temperature difference wouldn't be difficult.

We did think April was awfully busy. As much as we like the F & G Show, I doubt we'll be back. Currently we have another trip for January planned.

Jan

Post Thanks / Like

I can only give you an idea of the weather since we were at Universal only last April for Easter break. The first three days were great. Warm enough for swimming but not too hot. We didn't have any rain the entire trip. The last two day were hot. That trip reminded me why we don't go to FL in the summer anymore.
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

Love April. I would choose that. Much better chance of pleasant weather and low crowds.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Default Thank you!

Thank You all! I booked for April!
    "From the outside looking in, you can't understand it. From the inside looking out you can't explain it"

Jul 84: TravelLodge (Kissimee)
    Sep 02: All-Star Sports
    Mar 06: Coronado Springs
    Sep 11: Wilderness Lodge
    Apr 15: Wilderness Lodge
    Next Trip - Sep 20: Animal Kingdom Lodge

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: