Quantcast Lots of Disneyland Questions!!!

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Lots of Disneyland Questions!!!

Ok, so my son tried out for, and made, our local select football team. The big championship game is in Pasadena, California. Our teams are pre qualified because they won this championship last year. Since we'll be in the area we have decided to tack on a few nights after the big game for a short DISNEYLAND getaway!!! I can hardly believe it. To be honest I am trying my best not to get too excited until everything is booked and planned, and we are on our way.

Due to the tournament schedule, and my kids school schedule we don't have much choice in our dates. We would arrive in Anaheim on Jan. 4th and stay for 3 nights. This actually works out well with the military discounts, as the tickets are blacked out through Jan. 4. I was really hoping the black out ended and we could use the tickets on the 4th, but unfortunately that's not the case. As it is the kids will be missing their first 2 days back at school from the Christmas holiday so there is no way we can stay longer. This is pretty much our max.

Any advise, tips, suggestions to help us make the most of our very short time there would be very much appreciated.
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Next Trip: ???

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I know I just post the initial post in this thread, but I have a specific question already.

Just called Disneyland reservations to get some pricing. Looks like the military discount is available for our dates. Yay!!

The price difference between the Disneyland Hotel and Grand Californian is only $45.63. I had always imagined staying at the Disneyland hotel for our first trip, but to be honest Grand Californian is definitely our "style" as we absolutely love WL over in WDW. Plus if I am not mistaken it appears that access to the parks is quicker/easier at the GC? Any suggestions on which would be the better choice for us?
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Post Thanks / Like

Since the difference in price is so small, I would stay at the GC. The "secret" entrance to DCA is right at the GC. You will have to walk over to DL. Downtown Disney is also right outside the GC doors just like DCA.
    First visit 1976
    Offsite 1982/1985/2000
    Disneyland July 1996
    AKL 2002/Sept 2011
    Paradise Pier-DL July 2005
    Contemporary Sept 2006/Nov 2014
    Port Orleans-Riverside Sept 2008/July 2014/Nov 2018
    Port Orleans-FQ-Nov 2012
    Paradise Pier-DLH DL 2013/2015/2017 and D-23 Expo

Post Thanks / Like

Denise, I always recommend Disneyland Hotel for first timers, but wow, that's an unbelievable price difference. If you guys love WL, I'd say go for it. You'll definitely feel the similarities. And you're right, the convenience can't be beat. Please do check out the Disneyland Hotel though. It's dripping with early Disneyland history.

You'll still get to see Haunted Mansion Holiday and the Small World Holiday overlays. They are so unique! Be sure to spend time in Fantasyland and do all the originals, and of course, the more superior Pirates and Space Mt. Unique are Matterhorn and Indiana Jones. At DCA, Soarin', Little Mermaid and Toy Story Mania are the same as WDW , so skippable, but of course the big draw here is Carsland. And California Screamin' is my favorite coaster anywhere.

Follow along on ICOT social media next week. We'll be there!

Post Thanks / Like

Regarding the back entrance at the Grand Californian, while it's a great way to get into the park quickly later in the day AVOID IT AT ALL COSTS in the morning. There are limited people to take tickets and the line stretches very far. It's a better idea to go to the main park entrance in the morning than the back way. Later in the day I've found that it's quick to get into (and out of) DCA.

The fp system is the way that it used to be at WDW. No need to book fastpasses 60 days out. You do need to use them in the window, though.

If you want to get a fastpass for the Radiator Springs Racers keep in mind that the fastpass kiosk is at the Bugs Life theater, not at the ride itself.

Don't bother getting their 'dining plan.' It's much different at DL than WDW. The DL dining plan consists of vouchers that you buy dollar for dollar. If you don't use the whole voucher you don't get change, if your meal is for more than the voucher you need to pay the difference.
    Aryn

I am the rebel spy.

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome tips so far!!

Mel, it looks like Matterhorn will be closed for our trip. So disappointed! That is one ride I was definitely looking forward too. Tower of terror looks like it'll be closed as well. I love TOT, but this one doesn't bother me at all.

Do you think the Christmas overlay will still be on Haunted Mansion and Small World? I was afraid they might be closed as well, to remove the holiday overlay. Which would be a bummer. I would love to see DL' s small world. Speaking of Christmas, do you think any of the Christmas decor would still be up around Jan.4-6?

Another question I have is regarding night time entertainment. Does anyone know if parades, fireworks, Fantasmic, and world of color are shown around these dates? Seems like I read some time ago that some of these show attractions don't run year round, and are not run during slower periods. Any truth to this?

Weather and crowds? What should we expect? We would be doing the parks on Jan 5 and 6, possibly the 7th. That's a Monday-Wednesday. I would expect it to not be very busy, but what do I know??? Lol.

I am sure I'll have plenty more questions. Thanks so much for any and all info.
    Denise

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
    Denise, I always recommend Disneyland Hotel for first timers, but wow, that's an unbelievable price difference. If you guys love WL, I'd say go for it. You'll definitely feel the similarities. And you're right, the convenience can't be beat. Please do check out the Disneyland Hotel though. It's dripping with early Disneyland history.
    Mel,

I was surprised at the price difference as well. With the military discount we get 40% off at DGC, and only 35% off at Disneyland Hotel. I guess that closes the price gap a bit. But I was always under the impression that DGC was a good deal more expensive???

I am really torn on that decision. Love, love, love the look of DGC, and at just $265 a night I wonder if it's too good a deal to pass up. But the Disneyland Hotel is where I have always said I'd stay for a first trip. It just seems like a good resort choice for a first timer.
    Denise

Post Thanks / Like

There will likely be no nighttime shows on those days. The parks will likely also close early, around 8pm. During slow times, the night entertainment is only on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday nights.

For the price, I would recommend Grand Californian. With shorter park hours, you will need as much extra time as you can get. GCH is much closer to the parks.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    There will likely be no nighttime shows on those days. The parks will likely also close early, around 8pm. During slow times, the night entertainment is only on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday nights.

For the price, I would recommend Grand Californian. With shorter park hours, you will need as much extra time as you can get. GCH is much closer to the parks.
    Ahhh! That stinks! But it's sort of what I expected. Better to know what to expect ahead of time, than be caught off guard once there.

Natalie you lived in the area, what should we expect as far as weather and crowds? Also anything you recommend in evenings since the parks close early?
    Denise

Post Thanks / Like

Weather is usually kind of rainy in January. Highs will be in the 60-70's most likely. Evenings can be chilly, 40's and 50's are normal.

What I would suggest is eat dinner after the parks close, at Downtown Disney. There are SO many great choices and it's all right there. DtD stays open quite late year round. There is also an AMC theater there as well as a large ESPN Zone with a huge arcade/gaming area upstairs.
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like

Denise,

I would stay at whichever hotel speaks to you. I'm a DVC member so love the villa options of the Grand. However, if you really want to be emerged in all things Walt Disney I would stay at the Disneyland Hotel. It's right across from the Grand. You might save 5 minutes. You will be amazed how close everything is to each other.

That being said, if you love the Wilderness Lodge than the Grand would probably be your best bet.

Have a wonderful time. It is my Disney vacation location of choice.
    ¨¨*:•

"Here You Leave Today and Enter the World of Yesterday, Tomorrow and Fantasy!"

Post Thanks / Like

I think it sounds like the GCH would be a good choice for your family. But if you have the time, go stroll the DLH grounds and the ground floors of their towers.

You will be there right during that point in time when holiday decorations and entertainment are ending. You may be lucky enough to catch the Holiday Haunted Mansion, Christmas Fantasy Parade, and Believe in Holiday Magic Fireworks during your first day. But you may also be arriving just after they all end so be prepared either way. Fantasmic! usually goes on a break at the end of the holiday season as well. it's a small world holiday version usually stays open until the third week of January so you should have good luck with that.

There may be some crowds with Rose Bowl people in town, but certainly not as crowded as during the actual holiday season.
    Linda aka tinkwest
    INTERCOT Staff ~ Disneyland Resort

Come On Everybody - Here We Go!!

“To all who come to this happy place: Welcome. ...”

Support our INTERCOT Sponsors!

Post Thanks / Like

Another vote for the Grand Californian. We stayed here on our first visit to DL over the summer and loved it! We had dinner at Goofy's Kitchen and looked around at DLH and definitely liked GCF better. We are like you and love WL. The entrance to CA is wonderful. We would walk in and out all day long. Everything is so close. It really is a shock when you are used to DW. It takes a while to get used to the parks because there are no large castles or mountains that help orient you. Make sure you grab a map on the way in!

Like pp said, don't worry about FP - get them as you go. Dining is much more relaxed and the CS are very yummy.

Have fun planning!
    "If you can dream it, you can do it."

Post Thanks / Like

Part of the reason I love the GCH is the lobby. Makes it feel like a really peaceful place. When we stayed at the DLH for a week, we NEVER returned to the lobby after we checked in. There was no need to go into that tower when we were staying in another one. I missed passing through the lobby daily. Visiting the GCH lobby isn't the same as it being YOUR lobby. It's a minor thing that for me is really a major thing.
    Natalie

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: