Quantcast Back Lot Tour Closing 9/27/14 - Page 3

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

I would be disappointed if it were replaced by just a meet & greet as well. However, I have to qualify that by saying that out of all our trips, we only finally bothered trying this ride on the last trip. So, having bypassed it on all the other trips, it's not going to really make or break our vacation if we're bypassing something that goes in there on future trips.

But, I don't see any reason to believe they don't know what to do with the space or are just planning a meet & greet. It doesn't bother me that they're keeping quiet either. I think building a little anticipation is fun. However, the downside is, if you get people speculating about a Star Wars or Cars Land and they just get a meet & greet, people will be disappointed.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sad to see this go and the amount of land that this single closure will open up is a great opportunity for the park. The backstage tour really struggled since opening. Studios stopped filming, Residential street was taking away, Catastrophy Canyon felt like a poor competition for early Universal rides.

As for the replacements, we shall see. I think the rumor that Toy Story Mania is getting an expansion into the southern building is interesting. I personally hope for a more general Pixar land over porting Radiator Springs. Getting a Monsters, Incredibles, or WALL-E ride would be great.

Post Thanks / Like

I used to love this attraction. For the last few years though, it was one of those attractions we'd hit if we had time to kill. I think it's time for it to go. I do agree it would be nice to know what the plan is so we have something to look forward to.

I just have to say this. I loved Frozen. I've seen it several times. I get the promotional opportunities it presents for Disney - but...between the Maelstrom, the themed gift shop, the snow area, the sing-a-longs, etc, I really hope the space does not become yet another Frozen themed area. We also do not need any more meet and greet areas or shops. I've never once walked through Disney World and thought "Man, I really wish they had more shops." The other ideas floating around this discussion sound very interesting though. They have the perfect opportunity here to make DHS so much more than it's become over the years.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NJGIRL View Post
    What about the "Wonders of Life", 20,000 Leagues....and every other spot that was closed down just to supply a spot for a character meet. They have a track record of closing down attractions and putting up character meets, leaving the building empty, or putting in walk throughs of movie props.

If they had a great plan they would have announced it. That's just good marketing.
    Except I said why would Disney close a ride in a park that is desperate for rides. When wonders if life closed Epcot wasn't exactly hurting for things to do, and the Magic Kingdom has never had a shortage of rides.

Secondly there is another marketing strategy which is to not announce anything but just start building. Now Disney has never done that but Cedar Point did this for one of their coasters and the Internet exploded. There was so much buzz created by sites like these trying to guess what it would be and the daily photo updates by fans. If Disney did ever decide to do something like that I bet it would create the same kind of buzz and be better than any marketing campaign they could come up with.

I just can't believe they would take a ride out of a park with already so little to do if they didnt have a plan for something new.

Post Thanks / Like

This closing has been long over due, but I hope they do find a place to keep things around to look at, like the plane and some of the crs. My kids always liked to look at the tags and see what movie things were from in the warehoise. I always hate to see things go with no real plan for the area.

I don't remember the details of the marvel contract, does it only apply to the characters that are already showcased at universal? Or does it apply to all marvel characters. Because putting in a superhero themed area would be fun. Does the whole marvel characters are not allowed in the parks thing have an expiration date?
    șoș Lizzy șoș

I am only one; but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something. I will not refuse to do the something I can do. --Helen Keller

Former VMK: dizzylizzy

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Goofy4TheWorld View Post
    I'm sad.

I just don't get how the widespread closures at DHS can be seen as an improvement by fans. A "shell" of an attraction is better that no attraction at all, or worse a gift shop.

I agree. Please please do not make a another meet and greet!!!!I and please no more gift shops.

I Feel that they need to bring back the WOW factor and do something that will really blow away the guests. MGM, DHS was once a fun working studio with so much going on. Now it is my least favorite park, just not enough to see and do. I go for TOT and TSM and then I am out.
    Disney Cruise 2017
    AKL 2016
    PORR 2015
    Beach Club 2013
    POP Century August 2011
    Disney Cruise Dream 2011
    Cruise Disney Wonder 2006
    Wilderness Lodge, 04, 06, 08, 10
    Allstar Movies 02
    Allstar Sports 96. 98, 00
    Offsite 2015 x2, 90,89, 85

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lizzy View Post
    I don't remember the details of the marvel contract, does it only apply to the characters that are already showcased at universal? Or does it apply to all marvel characters. Because putting in a superhero themed area would be fun. Does the whole marvel characters are not allowed in the parks thing have an expiration date?
    The contract is that as long as Universal pays for the rights, keeps the rides running and in good condition they have the theme park rights east of the Mississippi for all characters and "families" attached to those characters represented by the rides. So they have X-men, Avengers, Spiderman, Fantastic Four all covered at Universal.

I.E. Starlord and Gamora made an appearance at Villians party since they have no strong attachment to any properties at Universal. Ronan and Thanos (the villians from Guardians of the Galaxy) could not appear in the park since they are directly connected to Fantastic Four and Avengers.

Post Thanks / Like

To bad all the original people who developed for Disney have retired. I have read 2 books recently on how things use to be developed at Disney. A lot less red tape than today. I hope the imagineers develop some very exciting things for the park - like the older generation was able to do. Give us a Pixarland with things from all the different Pixar movies. There is so much the can do to bring the studios up to be an awesome experience. My fingers are crossed that they look back and see how things were developed in the past and use the creativity that would make Walt proud

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LittleDreamer View Post
    The contract is that as long as Universal pays for the rights, keeps the rides running and in good condition they have the theme park rights east of the Mississippi for all characters and "families" attached to those characters represented by the rides. So they have X-men, Avengers, Spiderman, Fantastic Four all covered at Universal.

I.E. Starlord and Gamora made an appearance at Villians party since they have no strong attachment to any properties at Universal. Ronan and Thanos (the villians from Guardians of the Galaxy) could not appear in the park since they are directly connected to Fantastic Four and Avengers.
    The "strong attachment" is where things get very tricky for Disney.

How strong is the connection between Guardians and Avengers? There is definitely a decent connection seeing as how the share villains and the collector...

My only point is that the line where the "attachment" is tends to lead to a gray area and a very fine line.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zippy 1 View Post
    There is so much the can do to bring the studios up to be an awesome experience. My fingers are crossed that they look back and see how things were developed in the past and use the creativity that would make Walt proud
    It is a more of a management process problem these days. If you want to see what WDI can still do today when they are really unleashed, you will have to look at the overseas parks.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sad.

I just don't get how the widespread closures at DHS can be seen as an improvement by fans. A "shell" of an attraction is better that no attraction at all, or worse a gift shop.

Because, in this instance, the closure of the BLT is the signal for the DHS make over it needs... Unlike Wonders of Life and 20K, BLT will be developed into something new, and won't sit there unused for 20 years...
    Son of Jor-El.. Kneel before Zod...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
    I saw a RUMOR that a name change may be coming as well.
    Disney's Hollywood Adventure anyone?

I hear the name Disney's Hollywoodland being brought up a lot.. But several insiders say that isn't the name they are hearing... Not sure I like the name... But if they do go with Hollywoodland, eh, I'd get use to it....
    Son of Jor-El.. Kneel before Zod...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Something better is coming, just wait and see!

My rumor is something along the line of Toy Storyland at DLP, along with Monsters University Coaster. I don't think Carsland is coming east.
    My Disney Homes Away From Home!

Caribbean Beach Resort - 1996, 2021
    All-Star Movies Resort - 2001
    Port Orleans French Quarter Resort - 2004
    All-Star Sports Resort - 2005, 2018 - 2019
    Disney Wonder - 2005
    Pop Century Resort - 2006, 2017
    Animal Kingdom Villas - 2013
    Coronado Springs Resort - 2019

Post Thanks / Like

Backlot tour used to be better..
    as long as the replacement is good I don't mind...just not a meet and greet or hub and spoke things. a few good rides, not just lame things..Pixar or star wars attractions
    BC 2
    WL CL 1
    AKL 4
    SOG 3
    POFQ 3
    POR 2
    CSR 4
    CBR 2
    Asp 3
    AS m 2
    POP 7
    12-13 WL CSR ASM
    3-14 POR, AS s Dolphin
    6-14 Us CSR
    1-14 Unv
    6-15 WL, SSR.
    11- 15. AOA, OKw
    7 16..CSR, FW, AKL, POR
    7 17..ASM, CSR, WL AKL club POP
    8 18 As sports, Pop
    DL 9-19
    DVC WL, CSR and idk 10-20

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyFreak2002 View Post
    Because, in this instance, the closure of the BLT is the signal for the DHS make over it needs... Unlike Wonders of Life and 20K, BLT will be developed into something new, and won't sit there unused for 20 years...
    What hard evidence is there that a makeover is imminent or that it won't sit there unused for 20 years. With nothing more than rumors on the web, I don't trust that a makeover is imminent just because it's need is obvious. There are way too many things mothballed at WDW to assume good things are coming (and from what I heard, Accounting even requires the mothballs to be DVC members!).
    Disney Dream May 2019, WDW Dec 2019

18 Oct ASMv
    16 (APs) Jan POR, Feb CSR, April ASMv, June BC, Oct Pop & Cabins, Dec ASMv & AKL & Pop, Jan '17 POFQ (10k!)
    15 May Pop&CBR pirates
    13 Oct ASMu&AoA
    10 (APs) June CR, Oct AKL&Pop, Dec Pop
    07 March ASMv
    04 June POR
    94 June Onsite

Post Thanks / Like

What hard evidence is there that a makeover is imminent or that it won't sit there unused for 20 years. With nothing more than rumors on the web, I don't trust that a makeover is imminent just because it's need is obvious. There are way too many things mothballed at WDW to assume good things are coming (and from what I heard, Accounting even requires the mothballs to be DVC members!).
    There's no hard evidence. It's not like new fantasyland where actual plans were leaked. That being said, there was no hard evidence on the Frozen ride, either. Just a lot of chatter from trusted insiders. This time around it doesn't seem like anyone knows definitively what is happening, just lots of speculation, but if Disney doesn't have a plan in mind in shutting down this huge attraction, I would be extremely surprised.
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Howell, MI (Detroit) - 1176 miles from the Wilderness Lodge
    Post Thanks / Like

While this ride has been nothing of a shell of it's of its original inception, it's closure certainly spells the end of the park as having anything to do with "studios" or movie production. The only thing remaining is the Indiana Jones stunt show. Everything else is gone: the Animation Studio, Superstar Television, Monster Sound, SS1 is empty, SS2 and 3 are TSMM, etc. Even the Hunchback stage show was closed and not replaced with anything. It's really a shame as they could've continued some type of Disney Channel production in the sound stages (i.e., MMC from the 90s), refreshed the Backlot Tour, cycled in additional stage shows, etc. The whole park is now a disappointment with no real "theme" anymore. The "studios" in the name, to me, is nothing but a leftover relic of a long gone park.
    Up Next:
    1/2016 - VGC - Disneyland

1996 - Off Site
    1998 - Off Site
    1999 - FW Cabins
    2000 - ASM
    2000 - FW Cabins
    2001 - ASM
    2002 - Wilderness Lodge & Fairy Tale Wedding
    2004 - ASMu
    2006 - VWL
    2007 - CSR
    2008 - SSR
    2009 - VWL
    2011 - POR & BWV
    2013 - AKL - Kidani
    2015 - Disneyland

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Reedy Creek Buccaneer View Post
    My rumor is something along the line of Toy Storyland at DLP, along with Monsters University Coaster. I don't think Carsland is coming east.
    I really hope for a Pixarland. Hopefully they will come up with something new tho. The Pixar offerings at California, Paris, and Hong Kong are nice but basic; with the exception of Radiator Springs and Monsters Dark Ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Goofster View Post
    The only thing remaining is the Indiana Jones stunt show.
    I'm hearing noise about that being shuttered soon as well. Since it survived the rush to close before the end of the fiscal year, it might make it to 2015.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tekneek View Post
    I'm hearing noise about that being shuttered soon as well. Since it survived the rush to close before the end of the fiscal year, it might make it to 2015.
    I know I'm going to get the on this one, because I'm sure it's just as valid as the infamous bus driver info, but my friend's cousin works at WDW and auditioned for the Indy stunt show and didn't get it. He was extra bummed because the general consensus is it's not going to be around too much longer.
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: