Quantcast Back Lot Tour Closing 9/27/14 - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tearin_it_up View Post
    I call dibs on the Two Three Four Mickey Mouse! I really wonder what they are going to do with all this stuff.

Just the Studios becoming a little less of a Studio once more
    Yeah, but I don't know that most people attach any meaning to the names of these parks. A large amount of guests going there these days probably don't even remember when it was an actual working studio.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
    A retail shop? One of the most popular elements of Frozen Summer Fun? For who? And where is 'the Streets of America spot' exactly? I thought the sing along was moving to the American Idol spot?
    The location on Streets of America confused me too Mel... I asked a few people and they too were baffled by the Streets of America location... No one can figure out where it is going... The assumption was the Frozen merchandise store was being relocated to the now shut AFI building, with the Sing A Long moving into American Idol... Doesn't seem to be the case... Unless, AFI is considered to be on Streets of America?
    Son of Jor-El.. Kneel before Zod...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
    I realize it's popular. Believe me, I was in there a few days after opening. What I was trying to say is how sad it is that a merchandise location probably IS the most popular part of Frozen Summer Fun, and how Disney will most likely take that and say "wow, we need more retail shops!"
    I think they considering the skating rink and snow area as part of Oaken's. This was posted on the Disney Parks Blog as part of the Frozen attraction announcement. (bolding is mine)

We’re extending some favorite elements of Frozen Summer Fun LIVE!, too, so that guests at Disney’s Hollywood Studios can continue singing along to “Frozen” songs with Queen Elsa and Princess Anna. Wandering Oaken’s will set up shop closer to the show through the holiday season and will feature a larger play area with real snow (in Florida!).
    And about the same time as this came out I did see something about it moving to the Streets of America on Sept 28th near the exit of the Studio tour to make room for the new play area but I can't remember where I saw it.
    Cindy aka AgentC
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations, Dining, Movies, TV, Music & Musicals

Post Thanks / Like

Okay. I haven't found an official announcement but I found a report that said Oaken's will be moving to AFI Showcase with an expanded snow area but the skating will be discontinued. If I find anything official I will post the link or quote it.

We will be there that weekend if I can I will go by the Studios on the 28th and check it out.
    Cindy aka AgentC
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations, Dining, Movies, TV, Music & Musicals

Post Thanks / Like

I admit this wasn't my favorite attraction. But I did like it when I first started way back in 2000. Then though the neighborhood facade was still there and it was cool to drive through that.
    It's a shame that they couldn't update it with various items from movies/sets with all that Disney has in their reach.
    It could have been a continual changing thing.

But I know if they do a Star Wars or Cars land either will make my family and I happy!!!

Now if they would just update TGMR!
    Terra - Wife, mother, special needs teacher. Disney addict! °o°

Advocate for my 2 sons. David: Auto-immune disorder. Praying for remission!ASD/SPD & Aaron: ADHD/Anxiety/ASD. Life makes us stronger!

Post Thanks / Like

Default What it was, what it is.

It will be a little bit sad when they shut it down. I took some first timers on the Back lot Tour last year and it was fun watching the reactions particularly through the Harbor Attack and Catastrophe Canyon.
    But so much had degraded and no longer relevant.
    When it first opened there was a thrill in watching "real animators" working and great fun in watching my daughters clinging to the giant bee in the green screen demonstration. Seeing all the craftsmen and seamstresses working on sets and costumes, instead of going past a dead dark tunnel with nobody in empty rooms. Walking past live tapings of television shows. Those were all the things that made the back lot tour for me. It was fun to see the boat from black jack savage and the "seashell ship" from flight of the navigator. But unless you are as old as me you probably didn't recognize any of those any more than the shell of the Coyote from Hardcastle and McCormick.
    So yes I am a little sad. But if they actually USE that space for something interesting again then I will not be sad at all

Post Thanks / Like

It is too bad that the "theme park inside a real live studio" (or "live studio inside a theme park") concept is a dead one. Guess there just wasn't enough profit in that.

Post Thanks / Like

Is Disney just outta of ideas?
    Pimpin aint dead.... its just renamed.... Frozen.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kbean View Post
    Is Disney just outta of ideas?
    Yes. Or at least they are out of visionaries who can get new ideas to the fans. Disney has had huge issues with "focus" for years. It seems that in chasing the almighty dollar it has lost park identity (among other things). Don't get me wrong, I think Backlot needed to go. I just have very little faith in what will replace it.
    "There's a great big beautiful tomorrow shining at the end of every day..."

1973- Disneyland
    1981- WDW- OS
    1991- WDW- OS
    1995- WDW- CBR
    2000- WDW- DLR
    2001- WDW- ASM
    2009- WDW- POFQ
    2010 (November)-WDW POR
    2015 (December...with the grandkids)WDW ASM
    2019- WDW- POR

Post Thanks / Like

Excellent news. Like a lot of you I have fond memories of the tour-back when it was in its original glory. I'll never forget the first time going through catastrophe canyon, my whole family was impressed.

However, the ride has been a shell for years. What's more, is that it takes up a gigantic amount of space and really cuts the park off from any available land behind it. If the park is going to move forward and become more than a half day park this ride had to go.

Now lets all hope this is going to lead to immediate expansion and not just having another ride close and Disney doesn't touch it for 5 years. This really could be the first step in Studios' revival.

As for a new name how about Disneys Hollywoodland? That would lead more to the "Hollywood that never was, and always will be" and also take away the idea of a working studio or the behind the making of movies. I have no insider info on a name change, just throwing out an idea.

Could we be entering into an exciting decade at Disney? Avatar land. Rivers of light. Frozen. Backlot closing? Lets all hope!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DonaldDuck1117 View Post
    Could we be entering into an exciting decade at Disney? Avatar land. Rivers of light. Frozen. Backlot closing? Lets all hope!
    What they have going on at Animal Kingdom is the only thing that will really wow anyone. All the other changes are primarily giving people exactly what they want (boring if you're looking for amazing innovation or imagination) or minor tinkering with street/music performers. The challenge for Disney now is whether they continue delivering exactly what their clientele are asking for, or go way beyond and deliver something amazing that nobody thought was possible that regains a leadership position in the industry. They lead in cash and raw attendance numbers, but it has been a while since Disney has changed the game in a dramatic and meaningful way.

Right now they're making fast horse buggies, and the people really like it, but they aren't making any cars (which will change a lot of things, but nobody knows they want them yet).

Post Thanks / Like

I agree that this attraction was just a shell of it's former shelf...if fact our last few trips it wasn't even opened. BUT here we go again...another closure without any major attraction going in it's spot. Closing an attraction without having a clear picture of what you are replacing it with just goes to show that these parks do not have a strong leader in charge. At least when it was running it was another thing to do....and the lines where still long, it kept the flow of the park going.

I'm just not impressed with Disney's vision for their parks anymore. They are turning them into Meet and Greets. Spots that used to host attractions are being turned into character spots leaving teens and adults without small children one less thing to do in the park. Don't get me wrong, Disney is a destination for families with children, and I have no problem with characters, but my son hasn't been interested in them since he was 7 years old.

I feel they used to have a nice compromise of family attractions / character interactions for small children and thrills for the older kids, but it seems to me that they are turning every inch of these parks into the simplest and cheapest forms of entertainment. character meets cost them nothing. For us we are almost to the point of it not being worth the price of admission because there are not enough quality attractions for the age of my son and nephews to go anymore.

I ranting a little, but I am really disappointed with them again. I keep waiting for them to wow me with an announcement of something really cool and cutting edge and it seems that they can't pull it off.
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

What I don't understand is all the secrecy lately. If they have some big plans ready for development, JUST ANNOUNCE THEM! Shutting things down and putting up construction walls without anyone knowing why is just frustrating. It is the age of information sharing. The secrecy is an annoying holdover of the past that Disney needs to let go of.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    What I don't understand is all the secrecy lately. If they have some big plans ready for development, JUST ANNOUNCE THEM! Shutting things down and putting up construction walls without anyone knowing why is just frustrating. It is the age of information sharing. The secrecy is an annoying holdover of the past that Disney needs to let go of.
    Agreed....Give me something to look forward to and get excited about...make me want to plan another trip......My fear is that they really don't have a plan OR it's just going to be more shops and Character Meets and that is why they are so closed mouthed.

I don't blame them for trying to cash in on Frozen, but they need to realize that there are families that started out 15 or 20 years ago coming to Disney and that their kids are growing up and not interested in Disney cartoons anymore. They are going to lose them as guests because Universal is blowing them out of the water in the pre-teen/teenage attractions. The Fantasy Land addition was a disappointment to my family. We expected something much more cutting edge and all we got was an updated Ariel ride from EPCOT.
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sad.

I just don't get how the widespread closures at DHS can be seen as an improvement by fans. A "shell" of an attraction is better that no attraction at all, or worse a gift shop.

Disney Dream May 2019, WDW Dec 2019

18 Oct ASMv
    16 (APs) Jan POR, Feb CSR, April ASMv, June BC, Oct Pop & Cabins, Dec ASMv & AKL & Pop, Jan '17 POFQ (10k!)
    15 May Pop&CBR pirates
    13 Oct ASMu&AoA
    10 (APs) June CR, Oct AKL&Pop, Dec Pop
    07 March ASMv
    04 June POR
    94 June Onsite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NJGIRL View Post
    I agree that this attraction was just a shell of it's former shelf...if fact our last few trips it wasn't even opened. BUT here we go again...another closure without any major attraction going in it's spot. Closing an attraction without having a clear picture of what you are replacing it with just goes to show that these parks do not have a strong leader in charge.
    Just because Disney didnt come out today and say "here is what we are going to put there" doesn't mean they don't have a plan. I doubt they would close a ride at Studios and not have a plan to add an attraction since that park is already in desperate need of more attractions. I'm hoping this is a gateway to a major overhaul of Studios.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DonaldDuck1117 View Post
    Just because Disney didnt come out today and say "here is what we are going to put there" doesn't mean they don't have a plan. I doubt they would close a ride at Studios and not have a plan to add an attraction since that park is already in desperate need of more attractions. I'm hoping this is a gateway to a major overhaul of Studios.

What about the "Wonders of Life", 20,000 Leagues....and every other spot that was closed down just to supply a spot for a character meet. They have a track record of closing down attractions and putting up character meets, leaving the building empty, or putting in walk throughs of movie props.

If they had a great plan they would have announced it. That's just good marketing.
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NJGIRL View Post
    What about the "Wonders of Life", 20,000 Leagues....and every other spot that was closed down just to supply a spot for a character meet. They have a track record of closing down attractions and putting up character meets, leaving the building empty, or putting in walk throughs of movie props.

If they had a great plan they would have announced it. That's just good marketing.
    Unfortunately, this is very true. Just think how many years went by before anything of substance went in where 20,000 was (and it can be argued that an E ticket was eventually replaced with a C ticket...)
    "There's a great big beautiful tomorrow shining at the end of every day..."

1973- Disneyland
    1981- WDW- OS
    1991- WDW- OS
    1995- WDW- CBR
    2000- WDW- DLR
    2001- WDW- ASM
    2009- WDW- POFQ
    2010 (November)-WDW POR
    2015 (December...with the grandkids)WDW ASM
    2019- WDW- POR

Post Thanks / Like

My thoughts on this pretty much echo most of what has already been said. I am not distraught over the loss. I just wish it had been announced in conjunction with some kind of fabulous new ride being developed.
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

DizneyFreak2002
    As for Cars Land, the new rumor is just some flat rides, and NOT Radiator Springs Racers...

Sad..
    Not a great way to compete with Universal..
    I like everyone else is hoping Disney will step it up and show some love to WDW.
    "Im a storyteller. Of all the things I've ever done, I'd like to be remembered as a storyteller." Walt Disney

The mighty Roman Empire bridged 3 continents with a vast system of roads. The fastest information highways the world had ever known.
    East, West, North and South, all roads led to Rome

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: