Quantcast Frozen Attraction Coming to Epcot - Replaces Maelstrom - Page 4

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RBrooksC View Post
    This ride going into Epcot and World Showcase will bring people through the gates. People want a Frozen attraction.
    Oh, I did not realize that was what Epcot was about. Perhaps that is the cynical truth that was being disguised by the books, shows, and films produced about Epcot (by Disney and Imagineers themselves) over the years.

Post Thanks / Like

It is so funny to read the comments on this thread.

It is a natural fit for a Frozen ride to go into the Pavilion. First off, for those who want it in Fantasyland. Ok, where do you put it? Since it has been rebuilt there is no room. So, please, tell everybody, what are you going to close to open a Frozen ride? And remember since there is so much complaining about a Frozen ride going into Norway, you have to make sure there is no uproar about a ride being removed from Fantasyland.

Next, to say Frozen has nothing to do with Norway is totally wrong. It was, in fact, inspired by Norway. The movie has created a big increase in Norway tourism.

This ride going into Epcot and World Showcase will bring people through the gates. People want a Frozen attraction. The amount of children wearing Elsa shirts or dresses was incredible when I was there a few weeks ago. The Frozen event at DHS, esp the fireworks, is drawing people away from Epcot. So, there is a demand for this in the parks.

This will draw people into the World Showcase and Norway, in particular.

And, really, is the Maelstrom really that much of a classic ride? Is the consternation about the ride more nostalgia than anything else?

And I read these threads that complain about Disney being a business. Well, unfortunately, that is what they are. They are focused on bringing people through the gates so they can make money for the company and their investors. If putting in a Frozen attraction in Norway bring people through the gate, then it needs to be done.

If you don't like the attraction, then don't ride the attraction. But these changes happen and will continue to happen.
    Good post and I agree.
    I'm not going to lie, I'm a little dumbfounded as well. If Disney is really getting that bad or a ride is going to be that horrible, then thankfully we are not obiligated to ride, or even go to Disney. I know people don't like when I say this and I realize it *is* all opinions including mine. But I see more and more negative on a Disney board. I don't get it. Why continue then?
    I admit, I don't always like every change, but at the end I don't lose sleep over it and I still adore Disney and will continue to visit.

Again, I realize it is all our varying opinions though.
    Terra - Wife, mother, special needs teacher. Disney addict! °o°

Advocate for my 2 sons. David: Auto-immune disorder. Praying for remission!ASD/SPD & Aaron: ADHD/Anxiety/ASD. Life makes us stronger!

Post Thanks / Like

The movie has created a big increase in Norway tourism.

Sorry I find this very hard to believe..... "Hey we love that Frozen movie so let's go to Norway for vacation this year". We have traveled outside of the US a lot and have never based our travel on a animated movie...... Norway isn't a place that you just go on a whim, maybe if the weather there was a little more favorable I might buy it.
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NJGIRL View Post
    Sorry I find this very hard to believe..... "Hey we love that Frozen movie so let's go to Norway for vacation this year". We have traveled outside of the US a lot and have never based our travel on a animated movie...... Norway isn't a place that you just go on a whim, maybe if the weather there was a little more favorable I might buy it.
    It sounds crazy but it is actually true. Norway saw an increase of 28% over the past year in American tourism. Part of this is due to Disney offering Adventures by Disney trips to Norway. Additionally, it has become a stop for a few different cruise lines this past summer. A 28% increase is nothing to ignore.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NJGIRL View Post
    Actually, it has increased tourism in Norway. I just did a quick Google search and a whole list of articles from business publications popped up (looks like Natalie and I were posting at the same time). This is from an article on CNBC's website:

Disney’s ‘Frozen’ fires up Norway’s tourism
    Jessica Morris, special to CNBC.com
    Friday, 20 Jun 2014 | 7:56 AM ET
    CNBC.com

Disney's latest animated blockbuster, "Frozen" is firing up Norway's tourism sector, as U.S. fans flock to experience the country's scenic delights.

The movie, which is set in the imaginary Kingdom of Arendelle, is loosely modeled on Norway's rugged coastline. Scandinavian mythology also runs through film, which features trolls, runes and staves churches.

Following the premier of Disney's Frozen earlier this year, travel to Norway from the US jumped 37 percent between January and March compared to that time last year, according to Innovation Norway.

Meanwhile, the number of people searching for flights to Norway soared by 154 percent, according to Flight Tracker. And Norwegian Air Shuttle reported a 52 percent increase on routes from the U.S. to Olso in March 2014, compared to March 2013.

"The movie has shown Norway as a spectacular destination," Per-Arne Tuftin, executive vice president at Innovation Norway told CNBC's Worldwide Exchange.

It's not Just Norway that has benefited from "Frozen". In March, it became the biggest grossing animated movie of all time, taking $1.7 billion at the box office, according to Walt Disney Studios.

The landmarks that inspired the film's breath-taking imagery, such as Akershus castle, Bergen and Thronheim, are scattered across the country, Tuftin said.

Nonetheless, enthused "Frozen" fans won't be able to travel on a budget: package tours typically cost around $5,000, according to Tuftin.
    Thrill-seekers and explorers typically visit Norway for its winter sports, outdoor adventures and magnificent scenery. But this could now be broadened to including younger Americans, as well as families, Tuftin said.

Travel and tourism contributed 6.2 percent of Norway's gross domestic product in 2012, and is expected to rise by 2.7 percent to 28.9 billion euros in 2013, according to the Organization of Economic Co-operation and Development.

And Tuftin thinks "Frozen" could continue to warm the country's tourisms sector in the future. "It's sustainable. America has been a very important market for us since the beginning of 1930," he said.
    Christine șoș

Intercot Staff-Accommodations, Dining, Guests with Special Needs

Please support Intercot's Sponsors

Post Thanks / Like

I hope the next big change in World Showcase isn't predicted by 9 or 10 months here at Intercot. It will be nice for Disney to lead & set the table themselves by delivering something we didn't know we wanted and would never have seen coming down the pipeline, but are impressed by nonetheless.

Post Thanks / Like

Well I will be honest. I never had a desire to visit any of the Scandinavian countries before. After seeing the movie, I'd like to visit Norway. One day I might, and it will be largely due to the fact that Frozen made me look more closely at it.

$5000 is chump change to a lot of people. The argument can be made that you need to be "rich" to visit Europe period. Many people go to Europe over and over again. I bet THOSE are the people who saw Frozen (or whose kids are obsessed with it) who said "well let's go to Norway insted of Paris this year."
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

When I told my teenage son about Maelstrom being replaced by a Frozen attraction he said..
    "I bet your the only one who is upset about this"..
    (I answered... NO Lots of people are..)
    Him.."It's a theme park mom, quit trying to make it into something else".

I guess I he has a point.
    "Im a storyteller. Of all the things I've ever done, I'd like to be remembered as a storyteller." Walt Disney

The mighty Roman Empire bridged 3 continents with a vast system of roads. The fastest information highways the world had ever known.
    East, West, North and South, all roads led to Rome

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by goofy for pluto View Post
    When I told my teenage son about Maelstrom being replaced by a Frozen attraction he said..
    "I bet your the only one who is upset about this"..
    (I answered... NO Lots of people are..)
    Him.."It's a theme park mom, quit trying to make it into something else".

I guess I he has a point.
    LOL! I guess it's fair to say he does.

I don't think anyone can really pretend that a nearly 30% jump in tourism since the movie came out is just a coincidence.

And, nope, we don't have a trip booked. But, I have to admit that it did get me wondering about what there is to see and do in Norway. Will we do it? Not anytime soon. We've been overseas only a couple of times, so it's certainly not a normal trip for us. But, if it's hit our radar, then it certainly seems possible that it's also hit the radar of people who regularly travel overseas.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm late to chime in. Forgive me if this has been mentioned or if I am just repeating someone else. I read through most of the thread and just wanted to add that I have mixed feelings. I would always prefer them to add new things than replace something. I always liked Maelstrom and feel that a ride based on an animated film rather than the actual country doesn't do much to showcase that actual country, but Epcot needs to evolve. Right now it's just another park and my younger kids are quite bored there.

When Mr Toad was taken down to be replaced with Winnie the Pooh we all cried and whined. many of us on this very website hated the idea. Winnie the Pooh is now one of the most visited rides at MK. I have never been much of a Pooh fan myself, but the ride is cute. And now with smaller children this ride is a must do every trip. So Maybe Disney will actually get this one right too, maybe they will make another great attraction. I am going to stay positive. I can't even remember what the attractions were like in the building before Mickey's Phillharmagic was put in. I love that show
    șoș Lizzy șoș

I am only one; but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something. I will not refuse to do the something I can do. --Helen Keller

Former VMK: dizzylizzy

Post Thanks / Like

Maelstrom does need some updating...but I don't really want this replacement. id like more of an authentic representation of Norway
    BC 2
    WL CL 1
    AKL 4
    SOG 3
    POFQ 3
    POR 2
    CSR 4
    CBR 2
    Asp 3
    AS m 2
    POP 7
    12-13 WL CSR ASM
    3-14 POR, AS s Dolphin
    6-14 Us CSR
    1-14 Unv
    6-15 WL, SSR.
    11- 15. AOA, OKw
    7 16..CSR, FW, AKL, POR
    7 17..ASM, CSR, WL AKL club POP
    8 18 As sports, Pop
    DL 9-19
    DVC WL, CSR and idk 10-20

Post Thanks / Like

Default New Frozen Attraction

Any info leak out about what type of ride system it will use? I hope they just don't swap out the polar bears with Olaf.
    76 CR,80 Offsite,82 CR, 85 Offsite, 88/89 GF,
    91 Dolphin, 93 DxL,94 WL,94 POLY,
    97 Offsite, 99 CSR, 02 ASMo, 03/04 ASMo
    04 POR, 05 POR, 08 POR, 10 ASMu FS,
    12 ASMu FS, 14 ASMo,
    POR, 15 POR

Post Thanks / Like

The track will be the same except for an extension at the end where the move was, but that sets will be completely overhauled, not just repurposed.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning, Guests with Special Needs, and Weather Guru

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: