Quantcast Frozen Attraction Coming to Epcot - Replaces Maelstrom - Page 4

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm one that wasn't a big fan of Maelstrom. It was fine, but not a must do.
    It was kind of a joke between my friend and I, he hated it. thought it was lame, and thought it could have been much better.
    Hopefully, this new ride will be a lot better.
    Have A Magical Day-1970-1989-offsite, 2002-DLR, 2003-DLR, 2005-Sports, 2007-All Music, 2008-POP, December 12-21 2009-Pop, January 16-18, 2010-Disneyland. Disney Sports-Feb 1-6, 2012, Disneyland-December 7 and 8, 2012, DIsney Pop-Feb 1-5, 2013 (my son's first trip.)

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cer View Post
    So true. Did you have the Pete's Dragon record, too?

This is not a bad idea at all! You think we could talk them into an overlay featuring Elliot at American Adventure?

I kid, I kid...
    Oh yes, I did!

Some talk about the evolution of the park's concept, but it seems more like a devolution. Evolution involves becoming a more complex form, while Epcot has gone in the opposite direction. It is not more complex than when it opened. It is really just Park #2 at Walt Disney World at this point. Everyone's chance to go to a theme park full of food and alcohol.

Post Thanks / Like

This experimental community called Epcot is one community that just keeps going downhill. Instead of adding rides, they take them away. When the Frozen hype is done and there are zero waits for this ride, then what will they change it too? At least Maelstrom brought waits.
    Last edited by John; 09-13-2014 at 02:49 PM.
    Pimpin aint dead.... its just renamed.... Frozen.

Post Thanks / Like

Can't say I'm surprised by this. We like Maelstrom, but I was kind of excited by talks of updating it. I will admit to feeling a little pang at the official news. We enjoyed Frozen, thought it was a fun movie. I told my DDs to see what their reaction would be. DD10: That is SO COOL! DD14: What?! That better be a really good ride if they're taking Maelstrom out!

Like many Disney issues, we could go on and on about what we think any park was meant to/should be. But the reality is that Disney is going to make changes that they think will keep the parks packed.

Post Thanks / Like

About 5 years ago, or so, the official Walt Disney World website actually referred to Spaceship Earth as a golf ball. They got hammered for it, though, and now use geosphere. Eventually there won't be anybody left who cares.

They have long struggled with the dumbing down of EPCOT Center. At this point, I'd say there is no going back. Any nods to the original intent is just crass merchandising these days. Eventually even those won't sell and the past will be put to rest for good.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kbean View Post
    This experimental community called Epcot is one community that just keeps going downhill. Instead of adding rides, they take them away. When the Frozen hype is done and there are zero waits for this ride, then what will they change it too? At least Maelstrom brought waits.

Disney is the pimp and they sure can turn tricks with this Frozen to you customers.
    I have never seen a wait for Maelstrom. To be fair - we travel in the off season so that might be why.
    "They punch a hole in the sky with FIRE and MATH!" - Gary podcast #19

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tekneek View Post

Some talk about the evolution of the park's concept, but it seems more like a devolution. Evolution involves becoming a more complex form, while Epcot has gone in the opposite direction. It is not more complex than when it opened. It is really just Park #2 at Walt Disney World at this point. Everyone's chance to go to a theme park full of food and alcohol.

I agree with you on this point. I loved the park when the attractions were "Disney Character free". We had the other two parks to "Disney it Up". IMO they are transforming all of these non character rides to character based rides just to sell more stuff in their gift shops.... And while on the topic of what Walt would have wanted....I have a feeling that he would not be too pleased with the drunken party...I mean the Food & Wine Festival...that goes on each October...Really, You can't call that event family friendly anymore....it has gotten so out of control and no one will do anything about it because it brings on the big bucks.
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SBETigg View Post

I always remain optimistic about these things until we can see what they do.
    Ditto!
    DVC MEMBER since 2009
    CS- Oct.2006 *Honeymoon*
    ASM- Sept. 2009 BLT- Nov. 2010
    WLV- Oct. 2012 SSR- July 2013
    BLT- Jan. 2014 WLV- Nov. 2015
    SSR- Mar. 2016 OKW- Oct. 2017
    SSR- Apr. 2018 BC- May. 2018
    BC- Aug. 2018 BLT Dec. 2018

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stu29573 View Post
    Hope was found in a Tomorrowland that celebrated an exciting future, and an Experimental Community Of Tomorrow that would literally solve society's ills as the world watched.
    We never got that City, but we did get something that was at least trying to hold onto aspects of those ideas.

I don't think I agree that the cause is the same one you do, but Disney has definitely struggled a lot with Tomorrowland and Future World over the years. There's no denying that they could really use the help of a good futurist (but more than that, a commitment from the highest levels to a purpose and mission that transcends simply serving whatever the masses will eat up).

If Walt had been consumed with short-term planning and giving the masses what they thought they wanted, he would not have done half the things he did. When Ford started making cars, people didn't think they wanted them. Disney seems to be totally out of that game now. They are the old stuffy company that sits back and counts the money while serving up the predictable products and services that everyone expects.

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy

Sad....just plain sad. Going to try and ride it as much as possible, starting today.
    Marci

Many visits. Live 20 minutes from the parks.
    Work at Universal Studios in Diagon Alley. Ollivanders/ wand magic.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Septbride2002 View Post
    I have never seen a wait for Maelstrom. To be fair - we travel in the off season so that might be why.
    We only travel in the value seasons, too, but I've seen wait times at 20 minutes or more. They were an hour the one time I went during March.
    1994 PO
    '96 GF (h'moon)
    '02 Cont. tower
    '03 WL
    '05 WL
    '06 GF, WL
    '07 ASMo
    '08 joined DVC: SSR, BWV
    '09 BCV, SSR
    '10 HHI, BCV/BWV
    '11 BLT
    '12 AKL, Dream
    '13 BCV, Fantasy, HHI
    '14 BCV, OKW, HHI
    '15 BCV, HHI, AKL
    '16 BLT, OKW, AKL, SSR, Fantasy
    '17 BLT, GF, AKL, BC
    '18 Wonder

Post Thanks / Like

I love it! Excited to see the change. Hate that it will be over a year though.
    At the end of the day for me personally, it's an attraction. There are bigger things for me to lament over in the horrors of life sometimes than the changing of ride. Change is inevitable.
    Terra - Wife, mother, special needs teacher. Disney addict! °o°

Advocate for my 2 sons. David: Auto-immune disorder. Praying for remission!ASD/SPD & Aaron: ADHD/Anxiety/ASD. Life makes us stronger!

Post Thanks / Like

My DH just made a great point that I have not seen anyone mention yet- What are they going to do about park hours? World Showcase does not open until 11am. Are they going to open the one ride earlier? Are they going to let people in from both gates? If the ride doesn't open until 11am like the rest of that area, are they going to allow people to start queuing up early?

I'm trying my best to take Sherri's wait-and-see approach, but from where I stand, it's hard to imagine this being the mind-blowing success some are hoping for. Remember, the original ride only lasts about 3 1/2 minutes. It's not an anti-frozen or even an anti-change thing for me, as much as I do enjoy Maelstrom. I just can't get a handle on the logistics. Hopefully they have it all worked out and will prove me wrong.
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

My family and I are extremely saddened by this😞. I'm all for Frozen & change at Epcot but not replacing one of the few rides that they have there. The World Showcase is suppose to be about the World not Disney movie "worlds". I feel like Disney is being really lazy replaceing Maelstrom instead of starting from nothing and making a Frozen ride. There is a lot of extra space in Epcot they could've put it. I also felt like they were lazy putting the trading post in instead of another country. It's like they've got no drive or vision to want to better Epcot so they do the bare minimum to it. We were there in July & my sister & I thought of many things they could put in the Countries for rides. Bobsled ride in Germany (in door rollercoaster & very cold inside), a slowish gondola ride in Italy, water rapid ride in Canada & not a country & I love this ride bu it would be neat if Soarin had a film for all 50 States & it randomly picked which one you saw like they did with Star Tours. Also I think they should put a ride in the Wonders of Life pavilion (i know they use it seasonally for special going ons at Epcot) but how freakin awesome would it be if they brought back HORIZONS & put it in there!!! They need to do a lot more w/ Epcot & replacing Maelstrom is not a good start in my opinion. Luckily my husband& I will be taking his niece for the first time in a couple of weeks so I'll be able to ride it one more time and I'll always have my memories of when I was little & of my nieces getting so excited to ride the "weee boat" ride! Lol.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PirateLover View Post
    My DH just made a great point that I have not seen anyone mention yet- What are they going to do about park hours? World Showcase does not open until 11am. Are they going to open the one ride earlier? Are they going to let people in from both gates? If the ride doesn't open until 11am like the rest of that area, are they going to allow people to start queuing up early?

I'm trying my best to take Sherri's wait-and-see approach, but from where I stand, it's hard to imagine this being the mind-blowing success some are hoping for. Remember, the original ride only lasts about 3 1/2 minutes. It's not an anti-frozen or even an anti-change thing for me, as much as I do enjoy Maelstrom. I just can't get a handle on the logistics. Hopefully they have it all worked out and will prove me wrong.
    The easy answer would be opening the entire park at 9am. They have the character breakfast in Norway already, and the France bakery is open at 9 am well and people can enter at the IG. They might as well just start opening WS at 9 as well, and maybe some of the CS locations can begin serving breakfast too.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    The easy answer would be opening the entire park at 9am. They have the character breakfast in Norway already, and the France bakery is open at 9 am well and people can enter at the IG. They might as well just start opening WS at 9 as well, and maybe some of the CS locations can begin serving breakfast too.
    Actually, the easiest answer is to open Norway at 9:00 and the rest of the WS later. As you point out, this is pretty much happening anyway. It also would be cheaper for Disney...
    "There's a great big beautiful tomorrow shining at the end of every day..."

1973- Disneyland
    1981- WDW- OS
    1991- WDW- OS
    1995- WDW- CBR
    2000- WDW- DLR
    2001- WDW- ASM
    2009- WDW- POFQ
    2010 (November)-WDW POR
    2015 (December...with the grandkids)WDW ASM
    2019- WDW- POR

Post Thanks / Like

Although I wish they had built a new Frozen ride (Disney needs more rides, not changing existing ones), I can't say that I'm sad about Maelstrom at all, I never got into that ride ... and I promise I tried!

I do worry about what this means for the rest of Epcot too, I love WS, and think that there is lots that can be done, outside of adding characters everywhere.

Please Disney, build more NEW stuff ... you have the ideas, the space and the money!
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stu29573 View Post
    Actually, the easiest answer is to open Norway at 9:00 and the rest of the WS later. As you point out, this is pretty much happening anyway. It also would be cheaper for Disney...
    Yes, but then you will have hoardes of people who will exit the ride at Norway between, say 9:15 and 10:15 and be stuck in WS with nothing to do, nowhere to shop and eat, etc. If they do that, it would at least make sense to open the Mexico ride. And at that point, might as well just open it all.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    Yes, but then you will have hoardes of people who will exit the ride at Norway between, say 9:15 and 10:15 and be stuck in WS with nothing to do, nowhere to shop and eat, etc. If they do that, it would at least make sense to open the Mexico ride. And at that point, might as well just open it all.
    There was a time when World Showcase opened at the same time as the reset of the park - perhaps it's time to revisit that.
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

I remember waiting for Malestrom when I was younger in the early to mid 90s-the line was forever long! Did Malestrom get lines during peak seasons? Sure. But was it the rest of the time? You know lines are going to be crazy long for this Frozen ride. I'm hoping they do it well, the movie deserves it, and frankly, Epcot deserves a great new ride. Hopefully the first of many.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: