Quantcast Zawadi's Pacific Adventure 14-31 Aug 2014 (23/26 Honolulu, Ohau) with photos

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Zawadi's Pacific Adventure 14-31 Aug 2014 (23/26 Honolulu, Ohau) with photos

More photos have been added to Zawadi's photos from Hawaii.

Our goals for Oahu were Diamond Head, Perl Harbor, Downtown Honolulu and relax.

Saturday, 23rd. The cruise is over and time to get off back in Honolulu. We were off the ship by 09:00, and took a taxi to the Hilton Hawaiian Village, HHV. For this stay, we had booked an ocean view room in the Ali'i tower. At that time of the morning the room was not ready, so we were given a card key for the Ali'i tower's private pool area and left the cases with the bell desk. First problem. The card key did not work. Got that sorted then settled around the pool. Whilst reading I got dripped on and thought it was raining. Looked up but not a cloud in the sky. 10 minutes later I noticed white spots on my shirt and thought I had been used for target practise by a bird. Tried to wash it off no luck. Spoke with the pool attendant who realised that the marks were bleach stains probably from one of the balconies above where we were sat. A complaint went to the duty manager and I got a credit for a new shirt.

The room became available of 12:45 and we went to get our cases. Handed the ticket over and a couple of minutes later the guy returned saying that he could not find them! WHAT!!! He asked for a description then disappeared again and this time returned with then. PHEW! We had been given a room with a view and a half looking over the pool (above the seat where I got dripped on) the beach and the Hilton's pier. We unpacked then went for a drink and bite to eat at the Hau Tree bar by the beach. Before having a walk to the sea wall to watch the surfers.

We returned to the pool to sample the snacks that were served on a Saturday evening. We returned to our ocean front room to watch the Pride Of America sail past on its way to Maui again. It seems like we've been here for ages and we've still got a week to go. Once the ship had past we went for a walk to the shops and malls on Kalakaua Ave.

Sunday, 24th, Perl Harbor. We got a fixed tariff car from Charlie's Taxis from the HHV to the USS Arizona Memorial. Our driver was excellent and informed us of the options to return to the HHV. Bus details, metered taxis and where Charlie's would pick us up from. 6 months ago we had booked our Arizona tickets, and got 09:45. When we got there we were offered 08:15, unclaimed tickets reserved by a tour company. We had prepaid for a self guided audio tour which was excellent. Before boarding the launch, to the memorial, you watch a short film that contains footage from the attack. Total silence during the presentation.

As we sailed closer to Battleship Row, you see the mooring points and the memorial getting larger. Then you arrive, leave the launch and go straight into the memorial. Looking at the orientation plaque, the shadows in the water, the traces of oil still seeping from the wreck together with the images still going through your mind from the film is surreal, sobering and harrowing. I actually felt guilty filming here as it's a shrine not a tourist attraction.

A launch brought a new set of visitors and we were politely ushered to fill the vacated seats. We explored the museums before buying tickets for the Battleship USS Missouri and Submarine USS Bowfin.

The USS Missouri, accessed via a bus that takes you to Ford Island, faces the Arizona Memorial with its forward 16" guns raised as a salute. Do not venture from the tour path otherwise you'll be on board for weeks trying to find your way out. On the starboard side is a deck plaque marking the point where the treaty was signed to mark the end of WWII. The ship needs repairs and money is short. I wish it were possible to see inside the 16" gun turrets and engine room.

We returned to the mainland and boarded the USS Bowfin but not before reading the plaques about those submariners who are on eternal patrol. We entered the submarine via the forward torpedo loading hatch. When the submarine would leave for a patrol, the six forward tubes would be loaded and another four torpedoes would be stored, two on each side with the crew hammocks above then. All space within the submarine is utilised and walking through it is not easy. The bulkheads have a 18" sill and the and the height of each doorway's gap is just over 3 foot. In my view all submariners are both heroes and certifiable.

It had gone 15:00 when we decided to leave. But how? We looked for a pay phone. Remember those? I've only got a British mobile and the roaming charges are extortionate. I asked at the ticket office and they kindly let me use their phone. I called Charlie's toll free number and within 20 minutes we were collected from the meeting point that we were shown on our arrival.

Back at the HHV we had small bite to eat before venturing into the waters of the Pacific. That night dinner was a simple, not so small sandwich and burger cupcake.

Monday, 25th. Another early start before it got too hot as we were going to tackle the 1.8 mile, 800 foot climb Diamond Head trail. Diamond Head is home to five batteries. The trail include two steep stairways cut into the rock (74 and 99 steps), two tunnels, a spiral metal staircase and a tight crawl out of one of the batteries. I was filming as DW climbed the spiral staircase. I said "good job you've got shorts on and not a skirt" to which I heard a lady below us burst out in laughter. The views from the top were spectacular. To our surprise two girls and a lad climbed on top of the battery roof, even though there were large keep off signs, and asked people to keep back as they were about to do an ice bucket challenge. All the cameras then focused on them. It takes at least 90 minutes to do the round trip.

The afternoon was spent on the beach. We were astonished to watch a very well trained black labrador, high "paw" it's owner before following its owner for a swim to the end of the pier, where the swell was 2 foot.

For dinner, we ventured to the Californian Pizza in the Ala Moana Mall. We shared a tasty pizza and Kung Pao Chicken pasta.

Tuesday, 26th. Today started with a relaxing swim and hot tub in the Ali'i tower's pool area. Followed by a slow a relaxing walk around Downtown Honolulu. We took a bus to the Aloha Tower, then started our trip. We came across a WalMart and bought some breakfast. The highlights were the statue of King Kamehameha, only because it's visibly striking and in the title sequence of Hawaii5-0, and the 'Iolani Palace. The palace has been beautifully restored but inside you are not allowed to take video but you are allowed to take flash-free photographs. What's the difference? We did a self guided audio tour and just took our time. After a while we returned to the HHV, by catching the first bus that had "Waikiki & Hotels" on the front.

Like the previous day, we spent the rest of the afternoon on the beach before returning to the Californian Pizza for dinner.

It was then time to pack as we were about to say "Aloha a hui hou kakou" (goodbye until we meet again). Before retiring for the night, we settled our account as we were leaving for the airport at 05:00.
    Soarin' to Tower

Next Trips: 2017 The other half has allowed me back!
    Offsite 1998, 2004, 2015 (Universal)
    AKL 2001, 2003, 2005, 2008, 2009, 2013
    Beach Club 2008
    Yacht Club 2010, 2011, 2012
    DLR California 2004, 2014
    DLR Paris 2006, 2008, 2010
    DLR HK 2013

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Pearl Harbor, USS Bowfin, USS Missouri, Aloha Tower - great destinations! The Arizona Memorial really is a shrine and I find myself whispering whenever I'm there. I thought about the hike to the top of Diamond Head but did not do it. Kudos to you!!

Thanks for sharing your trip. I've enjoyed your reports!!
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by faline View Post
    Pearl Harbor, USS Bowfin, USS Missouri, Aloha Tower - great destinations! The Arizona Memorial really is a shrine and I find myself whispering whenever I'm there. I thought about the hike to the top of Diamond Head but did not do it. Kudos to you!!

Thanks for sharing your trip. I've enjoyed your reports!!
    The walk to the top of Diamond Head is worth it.

Glad that you've enjoyed the reports. Writing them has nade the holiday longer.

However, all us not over! We can't travel through Los Angeles without calling in on The Mouse! 3 nights in DLR to come
    Soarin' to Tower

Beach Club 2008
    DLR HK 2013

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zawadi View Post
    However, all us not over! We can't travel through Los Angeles without calling in on The Mouse! 3 nights in DLR to come
    Another terrific destination and one I hope to get to again in the not too distant future!!
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Another great day ... someday we'll get to visit Hawaii (I hope).
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

The final stage is in Disneyland, posted in the DLR Trip Report forum

Zawadi's DLR trip report
    Soarin' to Tower

Beach Club 2008
    DLR HK 2013

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: