Quantcast Epcot Entertainment Being Refreshed, Long Time Acts Being Replaced - Page 3

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink

Speaking as a Canadian, lumberjack shows are not nearly as fun as Off Kilter was.

Not impressed although I will reserve judgement on the changes until I actually see them. Maybe the new stuff will be better than it sounds - but from past experience with other "updates" I am not hopeful. You know, like removing a ride to make yet another character meet n greet . . .
    Shannon

~It's not the number of breaths you take, it's the moments that take your breath away~
    ~You should never take more than you give~ The Circle of Life

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

For me, the biggest criticism of Epcot is that they haven't been changing acts with enough regularity. To keep the park fresh you have to have new acts. Yes the Off Kilter is good but it's been about 20 years or so. I hope that this signals a new era where we get to see new acts every couple of years.
    26 years staying at the Polynesian
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of everyday...
    Twenty six straight years staying at the Polynesian
    Next trip: October 2018

Post Thanks / Like

I will definitely miss Fife and Drum Corps, and the world showcase players.
    I won't really miss Off Kilter. To me they always seemed out of place at Epcot. A bunch of men playing Canadian classic rock. I can pretty much get that at any bar in my hometown.
    If it was off the path a little bit, ok, but do have a loud rock show right there in the middle was just strange.
    I totally respect those that liked it, but to me just not something that interested me.
    I have seen a few lumberjack shows, and while it's not something i'd go over and over to see, it was pretty entertaining. at least give it a chance.
    Have A Magical Day-1970-1989-offsite, 2002-DLR, 2003-DLR, 2005-Sports, 2007-All Music, 2008-POP, December 12-21 2009-Pop, January 16-18, 2010-Disneyland. Disney Sports-Feb 1-6, 2012, Disneyland-December 7 and 8, 2012, DIsney Pop-Feb 1-5, 2013 (my son's first trip.)

Post Thanks / Like

OK, so much for my positive attitude about the rumors not being true.
    It is sad to me that so many of these replacements seem like they will be in the "once and done" category. Can't imagine pre-trip excitement over getting to go see lumberjacks with axes and logs.
    I think the 3 reasons for these changes are;
    1) Money
    2) Dollars
    3) Cents
    KAY

DVC MEMBER - OKW & HHI
    First trip to WDW - Dec, 2005
    Last visit to Disneyland - 2014

First trip to Disneyland - 1955

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyFreak2002 View Post
    BTW, anyone who is upset, write to WDW, TWDC, managers, everyone... Call, flood their emails... Need info? Here it is!!
    Thanks! I just sent an email off to Sam and Jack to save the World Showcase Players. I hope others will join me and do the same.
    My name is Gator. You killed my Sorcerer's Hat. Prepare to die.

DL 2-17,8-17, 11-17; DL 2016; DL 11-2015; DL-DL-Hotel 2-2015; DL 2014; DL-Paradise Pier 2013; POFQ Dec 2012; CSR - Jan 2011; AKL-Kidani - Jan 2010; A.S.Mov - Dec 2008; CSR - Dec 2006; DL Feb 2006; CBR - Feb 2004; POR - Jun 2002

Post Thanks / Like

Yes the lumberjack show sounds really exciting (scarasm) Is Disney trying to save more $$$$ ? Still can't get used to the new garage band in Britain gardens.
    First trip May 1996 and many since
    DVC Owner BWV
    Next trips 2015 : March SSR, May-AKLV& Poly Oct- BWV & Dec- BCV

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyFreak2002 View Post
    Gator, face it, Epcot is dead... They are turning it into MK 2.0... Toons toons everywhere... Dumbing down to appeal to toddlers, not adults... Frozen in Maelstrom will be the final nail in the coffin...

Oh and BTW, WDW can not use Avengers in any WDW theme park... Remember that pesky deal with Universal?

As for these entertainment cuts and changes... Budget cuts, plain and simple... They aren't doing it to refresh the offerings, so please let's not go there... Entertainment budgets have been slashed due to... Ready? My Magic Plus cost over runs... yes, those things Motley Fool have deemed to be working, are in fact affecting the parks, not in a good way but in a negative way... People, let this sink in... Stop listening to outside sources who are no better than National Enquirer... MyMagic/NextGen is a financial failure at this point... And these are the results... Start getting mad at the causes and the reasons and the monkeys running TDO and TWDC...

Oh but wait, they are replacing the cuts entertainment, so you are wrong DF... Nope, sorry, not wrong... The replacements are cheaper than Off Kilter, Mo'Rockin, etc... Now, does that mean the new offerings will be horrible? No, not at all... The new offerings may be fun and entertaining... On the surface they look dumb, stupid and the continuing of the dumbing down of WDW... But, until we know more, or actually see the new offerings, we can't tell... I don't expect anything good at all... But, they can't be any worse than Stitch's Supersonic Dance Party or what ever that travesty was...

Wait until they announce the last show for Illuminations... You think the internet blew up today...
    That's a nice way to spin it. However, a more reasonable explanation would be what we all have known for a while-that the initial start up costs of MyMagic went waaaaaay over what they were expecting, and they are cutting costs to cover that over spending. Does not mean the bands aren't making money. We are all in agreement that short term Disney took/is taking a loss on MyMagic because of the above mentioned start up cost. however, long term the bands will bring in the money.

I really can't comment on the loss of these shows seeing as i never experienced a single one. Oh I've heard Mo Rockin' for sure walking by, but never stopped to watch the full show. The only one I'm disappointed over not seeing is off Kilter...but nothing a good YouTube video won't fix.

Post Thanks / Like

Angry Change...

I am so tired of the "change is good" rhetoric.
    Progress is good.
    Change is just that, change.
    It can be good, or as is so often the case at WDW, it can be bad.
    Just because something is new and different doesn't automatically mean it will be better.

To say the least we are very bummed.
    35+ trips to WDW since 1985...and it never gets old.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hubbyofadisneyholic View Post
    I am so tired of the "change is good" rhetoric.
    Progress is good.
    Change is just that, change.
    It can be good, or as is so often the case at WDW, it can be bad.
    Just because something is new and different doesn't automatically mean it will be better.

To say the least we are very bummed.

....I agree ...change can be good ...change can be bad.

....in MY universe, however, change is bad. I've always thought that way. Let's face it ....if you could, go and ask the guy(s) that came up with the idea for "The New Coke" back in 1985 and see their feelings about change. It took only 77 days before the public outcry ...and outrage ...forced the hand of Coca-Cola to re-label the original formula as "Coke Classic"and get it on the shelves again.

....is that an exact comparison? ...no. But the point is ....for lack of a better phrasing, "DisneyWorld ...worked just fine". How do we know? Well ...for many years ....people have flocked back for multiple visits, because of the wonder of the place ....and because of the familiarity of the place. So many times I see people on these (and other boards) refer to a certain WDW park, attraction, or resort as "ours" ...or "our special place". Meaning ...it's what they want to see when they get there ...it's what makes them have the home-away-from-home comfort feeling.

....seeing a certain entertainment act ....while perhaps eating a favorite WDW snack ...is what some people look forward to ...for an entire year. So the outcry related to things changing ...and in many person's eyes ...not for the better ...is highly understandable.
    April '04- POP
    "Jersey Week" '04 - ASM
    "Jersey Week" '05- POP
    "Jersey Week" '06- POP
    "Jersey Week"'07- DCL & POP
    "Jersey Week" '08- POP
    Dec '09- Jan '10- POP
    Aug-Sept '10- POP
    Aug-Sept '11- POP
    Aug-Sept '12- POP
    Aug-Sept '13- POP
    Aug '17 - POP

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the contact info. A friend of mine started a Save Off Kilter group on facebook and it may not help, but did I met some great friends through OK, including the best squirrel ever, Steve Stevenson.

Post Thanks / Like

Gosh more disappointing news...

Personally, an evening touring the World Showcase and enjoying the performances of Off-Kilter and British Revolution were my favorite experiences and what I looked forward to each year.
    1984-first visit only one day 1996-WL 1998-CSR 2001-CSR 2003-POR & AKL 2004-AKL 2005-CBR 2006-CBR & BC 2007-Pop & CBR (solo) 2010-Pop (solo) 2011-Pop (solo) 2012-Pop 2013-Pop 2014-Pop (solo) 2015-Pop (solo) 2016-Pop (solo)

Post Thanks / Like

From the information available to this point, it sounds like a step backward. They also seem conflicted regarding what they want World Showcase to be.

If they want to roll back and refocus back on what it was intended to be, then GREAT. Do I believe they will? No. If anything needs fixing at Epcot, it is Future World.

Post Thanks / Like

I think it is all perspective and personal.

If you didn't care for those acts, change is good. But if you looked forward to them and loved them, change is bad.

Unfortunately, with millions of people with different likes and dislikes, there is no way to make everyone happy.

And no real way to know how many people are unhappy versus happy because unhappy people tend to be more vocal.

Anyone who reads my posts knows I tend to be a wait and see person, so that's where I will fall with this. I did not have any great attachment to the acts leaving. I am hopeful that the new acts will give me something new to look forward too. It might be better. It might be worst. There is no way to tell.

But I do understand everyone who is disappointed and upset. I'm still missing the original Imagination and Horizons.
    Cindy aka AgentC
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations, Dining, Movies, TV, Music & Musicals

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

On one hand I object to this simply because, like DF2002 said, it's all about saving money. Is it due to MyMagic+YourWayWithCheese? I dunno, but I suspect it probably is. So that bothers me.

But really I'm not much of an "entertainment" person anyway, so overall it won't affect me too much. I'm annoyed more on principle than anything else.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I totally understand the immediate reaction that this is only about money because TDO has been horrible about nickle and diming guests the last few years. No doubt there at all. Especially with Meg as president. However, the conversations I've been having with friends, both some who are entertainment CMs and some in management, This is actually a genuine attempt to freshen World Showcase rather than a money issue. They're not doing away with entertainment, but changing it. Where this only about money they would be doing away with the entertainment. I haven't seen any concepts or anything, but the little I've been told, even about the lumberjack show (which is supposed to be a "thrill" show of sorts), the new acts sound at least intriguing. I'm as frustrated as everyone else by TDO's "cheap" mentality lately. I'll go to Six Flags if I want that. But I don't want to blame this issue on that. So, I'll wait and see and hopefully be pleasantly surprised, though I'll definitely miss the acts that are leaving.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning, Guests with Special Needs, and Weather Guru

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WDWgoofy View Post

Personally, an evening touring the World Showcase and enjoying the performances of Off-Kilter and British Revolution were my favorite experiences and what I looked forward to each year.
    This news makes me very sad.
    Past Trips:
    '92- Dixie Landings
    '99 - Off Site
    '00 - Disneyland Paris
    '02/'03 - Off Site
    '04/'06/'07/'08 - All-Star Music
    '09/'10/'11 - Port Orleans Riverside
    '12/'13 - Boardwalk/POR
    May '14 - Old Key West
    Nov '14 - POR/Saratoga Springs
    Next Trip: May '15 - Boardwalk Villas/POR

Post Thanks / Like

I will be sad to see them leave. We were huge fans of Off Kilter. We even have two of their CDs that we play in the car (when we need an Epcot fix.) Listening to them was always one of our highlights when we were in The World Showcase..

But I'll reserve judgment until I arrive and see the new acts for myself. Hopefully, they will be just as enjoyable and will become staple marks of our future visits. Until then, I will be sad for the old acts' departure and hopeful for equally enjoyable entertainment to replace them.TDO, DONT SCREW THIS UP!
    WDW - 99 Off Site
    WDW - 00 C.Springs, Wilderness
    WDW - 01 POFQ, Boardwalk
    WDW - 02 C.Beach, POFQ, AK Lodge
    WDW - 04 Riverside
    WDW - 05 C.Springs
    WDW - 07 Riverside
    WDW - 11 C.Beach
    WDW - 12 POFQ
    WDW - 14 Riverside
    WDW - 15 POFQ
    WDW - 19 Wilderness
    WDW - 20 C.Beach

Post Thanks / Like

I'm willing to wait and see the new acts before passing judgment ... change isn't always a bad thing.

As a Canadian, I hope there is something good, and more reflective of Canadian culture than either Off Kilter was, or I fear the Lumberjack show will be.

But, I don't watch a lot of the entertainment in Epcot, since we've seen it many times ... so hoping this is a good change.
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

They should have Coffee Crisp at the Canada Pavilion. That is an improvement I could get behind.

A Lumberjack show, by the name itself, sounds awful. However, if they do it in a funny way that brings some culture out...it could be good. I don't mean that it should be a Red Green clone, or a Kanadian Korner/Great White North one either.

Post Thanks / Like

I found a little more information about the new acts in an Orlando Sentinel article .

The flag act is Sbandieratori Flags. I will confess my own ignorance. I have never thought Italy and flag waving. I did a little internet research and flag throwing is an Italian tradition dating to the Middle Ages (or thereabouts depending on the source). Flag waving started as a way to keep military skills up between battles. Shows usually include costumes with heraldry, musical accompaniment of drums and trumpet. The YouTube videos I saw on this do look entertaining.

The Moroccan group is B’net Houariyat, a 5 woman Moroccan group who sing and dance with drums and traditional music. The have played the Kennedy Center but I am really unsure about this one.

The Celtic group is listed as The Scottish Musical Trio but I haven't found anything specific on them.
    Cindy aka AgentC
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations, Dining, Movies, TV, Music & Musicals

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: