Quantcast line etiquette/line jumping?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default line etiquette/line jumping?

Was in line at new mine ride tuesday night near closing time. line was moving reasonably well. As we approached the interactive area of the line, there was a gap in the crowd control roping that let people cut through and move ahead of the people that were playing in the interactive area. it didn't look like anyone had tampered with the rope, nothing laying on ground, or anything like that. some people were going through the gap, so we did too.

A row or two ahead a gentleman in line started yelling and threatening to call security. I honestly thought it was a interactive bypass for people who didn't want to go that way. The cast members never said anything to any of the "cutters".

So I am wondering, was it a legitimate cut through, or just a roping mistake?

If we were cutting, I offer my apologies to anyone who we got in front of unjustly.
    12/1987 Off site
    12/2000 All star movies
    7/2001 Coronado springs
    7/2001 Animal kingdom lodge
    12/2001 All star music
    7/2003 Port Orleans
    7/2003 All star sports
    7/2004 Pop Century
    7/2010 All star movies
    7/2011 Pop Century
    3/2013 Pop Century
    4/2013 All star movies

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

In my mind line cutting is hard at Disney. People are grouped and regrouped often. Queues are also wide. If a family or two accidentally get ahead of you is it the end of the world? Probably not. Will you still be on the ride or attraction in essentially the same amount of time? Probably. Yes, there are a few people trying to skirt the line from time to time, but are they really getting that much more than you? I doubt it. Just enjoy the day!
    Beth & David

09/82 Treehouse Villas, 06/86 BVP, 10/95 CBR, 10/99 DI, 08/03 PORS, 10/05 POP, 11/06 AKL, 09/09 POLY, 10/10 Wonder, 05/11 Dream/PORS, 08/13 POLY, 11/13 GF, 04/15 POLY, 11/15 BLT, 11/16 Aulani, 03/17 BLT, 08/18 BLT, 07/19 AKL, 06/21 BLT

Post Thanks / Like

I've often wondered about line etiquette for those with interactive features since we tend to bypass the interactive elements on most rides after we've tried them once. JMO but if I'm involved with the interactive elements and there is a gap ahead of me it's okay for those behind me to move ahead and it's not considered one jumping in my book. In your case it sounds like you followed the roping similar to the old queue at HM.
    - Lynn -
    INTERCOT Staff: Theme Parks, DVC

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, I bypass. I thought that was the point of 2 lines there.
    Boardwalk
    Animal Kingdom Jambo
    Coronado Springs
    POP
    POP
    POP
    POP
    Riverside

Post Thanks / Like

The last time we were there, the option was interactive queue or old queue. The old queue had nobody in it, so we went that way because we had seen the interactive queue and just wanted to ride the HM.

I don't consider that line cutting since the people in the interactive line are making the choice to play with those neat line distractions as opposed to going right to the ride.

To me, line cutting is ANYBODY who decided to walk past people waiting in the same line for the same ride.

Post Thanks / Like

. Then the question becomes ; does the open chain constitute a legitimate alternate pathway?
    12/1987 Off site
    12/2000 All star movies
    7/2001 Coronado springs
    12/2001 All star music
    7/2003 Port Orleans
    7/2003 All star sports
    7/2004 Pop Century
    7/2010 All star movies
    7/2011 Pop Century
    3/2013 Pop Century
    4/2013 All star movies

Post Thanks / Like

They should post a sign or a cast member there.

This way to play with the toys, that way to continue to the ride.

I like how the haunted mansion does it, once you choose the interactive queue, you don't have to merge with the direct entry line...isn't that right, or you merge right at the big holding area where you fill in all available space.

This whole interactive queue thing is getting out of hand.
    Carrie

CBR: 2/21-2/25/17
    POR: 6/4-6/11/16
    POFQ: 11/15-11/19/15
    8/28-9/1/14 -DL-Dumbo 19.3 C2C
    POR: 1/7-1/14/14 -Dopey 48.6
    POR: 6/11-6/17/13
    ASMu: 1/11-1/15/13 -1st Full 26.2
    ASMu: 9/22-9/28/11
    ASMu: 6/7-6/13/11
    Pop: 1/30-2/6/10
    Pop: 2/1-2/7/09
    Pop: 1/08
    ASMu: 05/06
    Off-site: 12/93

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mechanic View Post
    . Then the question becomes ; does the open chain constitute a legitimate alternate pathway?
    I would think so.
    - Lynn -
    INTERCOT Staff: Theme Parks, DVC

Post Thanks / Like

Well nothing to do about it now anyways. Just second guessing myself after the man started yelling. I'm not a pushy me first person.
    12/1987 Off site
    12/2000 All star movies
    7/2001 Coronado springs
    12/2001 All star music
    7/2003 Port Orleans
    7/2003 All star sports
    7/2004 Pop Century
    7/2010 All star movies
    7/2011 Pop Century
    3/2013 Pop Century
    4/2013 All star movies

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mechanic View Post
    Well nothing to do about it now anyways. Just second guessing myself after the man started yelling. I'm not a pushy me first person.
    It doesn't sound to me as if you did anything wrong at all. You just had the misfortune of encountering someone who chooses to go through the world regarding it in a very negative, self-centered light. Encountering that at a Disney park can be especially jarring when most of us are in a very positive mind-set. Best just to, to quote "Frozen," let it go. Don't let it bother you.
    EJ in Houston

3-16 -- Port Orleans Riverside
    11-12 -- Pop Century
    11-11 -- Animal Kingdom Lodge
    11-09 -- All-Star Sports
    11-07 -- All-Star Sports
    11-05 -- All-Star Sports
    09-95 -- Off Property
    3 prior visits as a child beginning in '72 -- Polynesian/Contemporary Resorts

Post Thanks / Like

In this case, my opinion is that you were not cutting and I would stop second guessing. If people are playing with interactive features, I think it's okay to go through. That, to me, is a sign that they are not in a hurry. They would rather stop and explore. And it would put more pressure on them for you to stand there waiting and expecting to catch up to the line. I think you did the right thing.

Some people are so willing to let little things upset them at Disney, even when it's none of their business really. Unfortunately.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

LAFITTE, LA, UNITED STATES( 674 MILES AWAY)
    Post Thanks / Like

i would not worry about it. It doesnt sound like you did anything wrong
    Jimmy

Co-Host: The Disney Nerds Podcast

Post Thanks / Like

It's the same situation in the stand-by queue at Space Mountain. if there's people playing the games, but a huge gap ahead of them while they're playing, I'm going around 'em. :/
    Former WDW Magic Kingdom Cast Member (2001-2010): Main Street Parades/WDWRR Engineer/Conductor; Frontierland Attractions; Tomorrowland Attractions

Last: Sep '14 (Coronado Springs)
    Next:Oct 2015: MNSSHP

Have you ever dreamed the dreams of the children...?

Post Thanks / Like

I liken line cutting to the rules of golf. Intent is a big part. So if I walk past or cut past those that are otherwise holding up the line b/c they are entertaining themselves, I do not consider this an issue b/c the intent was they were given the opportunity to advance but are declining.

You shouldn't cut in front of those who intend to advance, if given the opportunity.
    ===================

2016 POR
    2015 CS
    2014 WDW-Offsite
    2014 Disneyland-offsite
    2014 CBR
    2013 Dolphin
    2012 POR
    2012 WDW-Offsite
    2011 ASMusic, POR

1998 Dixie Landings
    1990's, Dixie Landings, Misc Offsite

Post Thanks / Like

Whenever there is a single line with interactive elements (say, Winnie the Pooh) and we stop, I always tell people to go around me. Same goes for Space Ranger Spin, when we stop for a picture in front of the big Buzz. I don't want people to have the awkwardness of not knowing whether or not to pass and I don't want to feel rushed to keep the line moving.

But the psychology of being in a line a funny thing.

Unless you're about to get on the ride it makes no difference (again, in a single-queue situation) if you pass those people stopping for a picture or not. A gap opens in front of them, sure. Maybe the gap gets pretty big, as they take selfie after selfie. But then eventually they finish and then close the gap and you move up.

So you waited behind them in spot A for three minutes as they took a picture and then moved up all at once over the distance you would have slowly covered over that same three minutes if they hadn't stopped. It doesn't matter where you wait, but we all feel like we have to keep constantly moving while in a line, or else we're being stymied.
    "You used all the glue on purpose!"

St Pete Beach FL- Too close and too far away
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cer View Post
    This whole interactive queue thing is getting out of hand.
    I completely agree with this. I understand that they are attempting to give people something to do during long wait times, however it also contributes to those long wait times in some cases...Some of the ques that have interactive elements are cool-you check it out, move on...others are just big time wasters and act as "shiny" distractions to people who should be moving along!
    It's either win/win or lose/lose Me, if there is a gap and they are playing, I will nicely point out the line is moving, and if they don't move along, I go around them

But I don't want to go among mad people!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mendelson View Post
    Whenever there is a single line with interactive elements (say, Winnie the Pooh) and we stop, I always tell people to go around me. Same goes for Space Ranger Spin, when we stop for a picture in front of the big Buzz. I don't want people to have the awkwardness of not knowing whether or not to pass and I don't want to feel rushed to keep the line moving.

Unless you're about to get on the ride it makes no difference (again, in a single-queue situation) if you pass those people stopping for a picture or not. A gap opens in front of them, sure. Maybe the gap gets pretty big, as they take selfie after selfie. But then eventually they finish and then close the gap and you move up.

So you waited behind them in spot A for three minutes as they took a picture and then moved up all at once over the distance you would have slowly covered over that same three minutes if they hadn't stopped. It doesn't matter where you wait, but we all feel like we have to keep constantly moving while in a line, or else we're being stymied.
    This same psychology applies to traffic jams, too. So many people feel they have to be bumper to bumper, even when traffic is barely moving, rather than leave a gap in between cars. Of course the big difference is that in a traffic jam, it's a safety issue, this leads to collisions and damage, which is not a problem in a pedestrian theme park attraction queues.
    1971 (age 15) MK was new!
    1974 off-site (Senior Trip)
    1982 off-site
    1988 off-site
    May 2002 AS-Sports, with DW & kids
    May 2004 Pop Century
    Feb 2005 Wilderness Lodge
    Oct 2006 Pop Century
    Oct 2008 Camped at Fort Wilderness
    Feb 2010 Cruise on the Wonder
    Dec 2014 POFQ for Christmas!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Main Street Jim View Post
    It's the same situation in the stand-by queue at Space Mountain. if there's people playing the games, but a huge gap ahead of them while they're playing, I'm going around 'em. :/
    Yes this! If you want to stop and play then IMO you forfeit your spot "being held".
    Terra - Wife, mother, special needs teacher. Disney addict! °o°

Advocate for my 2 sons. David: Auto-immune disorder. Praying for remission!ASD/SPD & Aaron: ADHD/Anxiety/ASD. Life makes us stronger!

Post Thanks / Like

One of those situations where you just have to utilize common sense. Usually there is a distinct choice that has to be made to be involved with an interactive queue, Pooh, HM, etc. as opposed to SM where I do give a brief benefit of the doubt if the people are just jamming buttons on each station and intend on moving forward.

Also, I will probably incorrectly blow by anyone on RNRC who likes to jam their hand up and down the beaded door and make a ridiculous amount of noise for no reason
    "Those Who Stay Will Be Champions"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mendelson View Post

Im with you, If im taking pictures or playing with the interactive I dont care if someone cuts in front of me as long as they don't get into my shot.

As for the original post... sounds more like the guy was having a bad day and decided to take it out on you. if the CMs dont say anything then its not something to be concerned about
    92 Fort Wilderness.
    96 Disney Institute
    2000 Off site
    2009 all star movies.
    2011 Port Orleans FQ
    2013 Port Orleans FQ
    2016 ??

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: