Quantcast Are there any "slow times" anymore?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Are there any "slow times" anymore?

With year round schools and international holidays are there really any times that still have significantly low attendance during which "walking on" most rides would occur?
    2014 POR Alligator Bayou & Beach Club.
    1978-2007 Several Visits off Property.

"Come to the Tiki Room...No one ever takes a Siesta"

"Parents hold your kids by the hair and we're clear"

"I am happy to see they brought back Orange Bird!!"

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Not really.

There are slow-ER times, and you may still find a few days here and there when things are generally walk-on, but the days when you could generally say January and September were "slow" are pretty much gone.

That said, the first couple of weeks of January (after the Holidays) are pretty light, as are the first couple of weeks of December. At least that's been our experience. Can't say everything was a walk-on, but a 5 minute wait for Splash Mountain is dang close!

Steve
    First visit: Disneyland, July 17, 1955 (well, somebody had to be there on opening day!)

Most Recent Visit:
    Disneyland - June 21-25, 2017
    WDW - Sep 22 - Oct 5, 2019
    Next up: WDW - May 9 - 16, 2020 at Riviera!
    Dec 5 - 16, 2020 at Poly

Post Thanks / Like

We've been the 2nd week of November for the last 2 years (going 1st week this year) and the wait times haven't been terrible. The longest wait we had in line between both years was around 45 minutes.

Post Thanks / Like

All depends on how loosely you define "walk on". Personally, if I can get on everything in the park with a 15 minutes wait or less (outside of FP) then that's good as walk on to me.

Like others said, slow-ER...
    CBR - February 1992
    CBR - April 1993
    AS Music - February 1994
    AS Movies - February 2000
    Contemporary/DCL - April/May 2001
    AS Movies - January 2003
    CBR/DCL - September 2005
    Pop Century - May 2007
    Art of Animation - May 2013
    AS Movies - September 2013
    Pop Century - April/May 2015

Post Thanks / Like

Still love early January.

January 4th until the Thursday before marathon weekend.

Post Thanks / Like

We were there in early December a few years back, and it was really crowded. They weren't filming the Christmas parade, but there were lots of folks there. I think Pop Warner was going on at that time.
    80&89 Off-site, HONEYMOON 97 Port Orleans, '02 & '03 Offsite, '04 Poly Concierge, '05 Poly,'07 Contemporary, Feb. 08 GF, Dec. '08 Poly, May '10 Offsite, Mar.'11 FW Cabin,May '12 and July'12 Wyndham Bonnet Creek,July'13 Windsor Hills, March '14 AofA, Fourth of July '14 Poly,June 2015 SSR

Post Thanks / Like

I find early September (after Labor Day) to still be a lower attendance period but not busy doesn't exist anymore. We went then last year and many rides were 5-15 minute waits.

Other times that can be good are early Jan, and early Feb but it varies a lot. I've had trips where I've said it was light but others though it was very busy. Sometimes it is choosing the right park on a day. Sometimes itis the time of day you pick. Sometimes its perspective. If you haven't been in years, September, January or any slower time of year is much busier than it used to be.
    Cindy aka AgentC
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations, Dining, Movies, TV, Music & Musicals

Post Thanks / Like

We used to go the third week in November as kids. It was dead. And I mean dead. If we waited more than ten minutes for anything, that was long. I almost got myself to accustomed to that, and was beside myself the first time we went during Spring Break!

I've been there in February, which was bad, March...slightly bad, second week of August - which wasn't as bad as I expected, but the weather was atrocious, End of August, which was pretty light as schools were back in session - temps were still pretty bad, September has been pretty nice, and October is about the same. Anytime I can get there in the early fall I'm pretty pleased with crowds. I've been there so many times, if I miss something it doesn't bother me that much.
    WDW - 1977-86, 1989, 1993, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007(x3), 2008, 2009, 2013, 2014, 2016 (Oct.)
    DLR - 1989, 2007, 2010

Post Thanks / Like

I was shocked at how much the crowds cleared out after Marathon weekend last year. That Monday, we went to MK at opening and pretty much had Fantasyland to ourselves! We were the only ones on either Dumbo ride, and everything was walk-on- meaning no stops whatsoever, just walk right on the ride. Now, as Cindy mentioned, this might've just been a case of the right park on the right day, but it sure was nice!
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

We used to go in late September/Early October thinking that since school had started, it would be light. And we were right. Then they started offering free dining.

We still usually go in the fall, and it's been OK, but definitely busier than it used to be. We are going in early January for the first time, and are looking forward to it. I just hope it's not too cold.
    2002 - 2022: 20+ visits (POR, BW, All Stars, VWL, CSR, BLT, BC, SSR, CB, Dolphin, OKW, Poly, offsite x8)
    DL - 1996, 2019
    Next up - January 2023 short trip! We just want to try that 50th Anniversary chocolate monstrosity at Mexico!

Post Thanks / Like

I've been going, for some years now, the first week of November, and while it's not just walk on everything, I don't find the crowds too daunting. Plus, the weather has consistently been absolutely perfect. Cool temps and no rain.
    EJ in Houston

3-16 -- Port Orleans Riverside
    11-12 -- Pop Century
    11-11 -- Animal Kingdom Lodge
    11-09 -- All-Star Sports
    11-07 -- All-Star Sports
    11-05 -- All-Star Sports
    09-95 -- Off Property
    3 prior visits as a child beginning in '72 -- Polynesian/Contemporary Resorts

Post Thanks / Like

I really enjoyed the beginning of November. Plus, we got to see the Christmas decorations go up near the end of our trip. Weather was great.
    Disneyland 30+
    * 2000 (Jul) - Off-site * 2003 (Aug) - Contemporary * 2006 (Jul) - Fort Wilderness Cabins * 2009-10 (Dec-Jan) - Caribbean Beach * 2011 (Nov) - POP (13 days!!!) * 2013 (Jul) - Saratoga Springs * 2014 (Jul) Boardwalk Villas * 2015 (Jul) AKV/VWL * 2016 (Jul) OKW

DVC SSR > Mar-2013

Post Thanks / Like

We've been in early May, early Sept., late Sept./early Oct. and once in November just for the MVMCP. Those were all times that we thought the crowd levels were good, but we found the early Oct. and late Nov. trips to be too cold for our liking. Next time we might be doing a late Aug. trip.

Maybe the upside of no slow time is that it lightens up the crowds for the traditionally busier times? We've never been during those times though, so I have no idea. Is there anyone here who usually goes in the summer? Have you noticed any lighter crowds?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheVBs View Post
    Is there anyone here who usually goes in the summer? Have you noticed any lighter crowds?
    Not last year.
    Disneyland 30+
    * 2000 (Jul) - Off-site * 2003 (Aug) - Contemporary * 2006 (Jul) - Fort Wilderness Cabins * 2009-10 (Dec-Jan) - Caribbean Beach * 2011 (Nov) - POP (13 days!!!) * 2013 (Jul) - Saratoga Springs * 2014 (Jul) Boardwalk Villas * 2015 (Jul) AKV/VWL * 2016 (Jul) OKW

DVC SSR > Mar-2013

Post Thanks / Like

The end of Jan was super quiet in 2010. However, that was a record cold winter so that may have added into it being even slower than usual. We've been several times in Nov/Dec and as long as you avoid holiday times, it's manageable, but I wouldn't say low. More low-to-moderate. We're doing Sept this time and I've heard it's lower than Nov/Dec. It would be pretty much impossible for it to be lower than when we went in at the end of Jan, but crowd calendars have the days 1-4's for during out trip, while our Nov/Dec trips are mostly 3-5's. (Out of 10, with 10 being the highest).

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with what everyone has said in that it really depends on what "slow" means. Early December has always been good for us..but even that has gotten busier the last few years. We are trying for late Setpember this year, but of course you have free dining, food and wine, etc.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheHD View Post
    Not last year.
    Good to know. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheVBs View Post
    Next time we might be doing a late Aug. trip.
    We've done the last week of June and the last week of August for the past few years. End of June isn't too bad but come July 1 the crowds start to grow. We like the last week of August starting on Monday, the southern schools are back in session and the parks are manageable. It is hurricane season though but so far we've been lucky.
    - Lynn -
    INTERCOT Staff: Theme Parks, DVC

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: