Quantcast Official Opening Date for Diagon Alley - Page 3

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

OMG - those lines seem just as long as the phase 1 opening (with some better preparation from Universal in that they now know what sort of crowd to expect!).

It really thrills me to see so many people excited about the opening of a theme park land. Of course, that's because I'm not standing in line with them. But, good for them!
    '85-Disney Village Hilton; '87-Poly; '88-Day Trip-Disneyland; '89-GF; '94-GF; '97-ASMu; '98-Dixielandings; '02-CBR; '03-Offsite; '03-ASMo; '04-WL; '04-Offsite; '05-POFQ; '06-POFQ; '08-POP; '09-POP; '11-POP; '13-Day Trip-HS; Up next: Oct. '14-Day Trip-MK

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Bless Mel for daring the trip... I wouldn't have.. Mel took one for the team!!!

6 hours to get into Diagon Alley, and then 450 minute wait times for Gringotts... Gringotts is running at less than capacity due to technical issues... 3 cars instead of 7...

Crowds are larger than Hogsmeade, coming from people who are aware of real numbers... Universal just has more space to fit the crowds of people whereas IOA does not... Plus, Universal was prepared this time... Hogsmeade kind of caught them off guard...
    Son of Jor-El.. Kneel before Zod...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Not at all surprising that the crowds are larger than Hogsmeade seeing as this is larger and so plussed than the amazing Hogsmeade already is.

I'm thanking my lucky stars I was able to go thurs and Sunday during soft open- I don't mind waiting to ride gringotts for another time- the hogwarts express was my biggest desire!!! and Butterbeer ice cream!!
    INTERCOT Staff-
    Nightlife, Shops, Water Parks/DCL/runDisney

DVC owner- BLT, Alauni, SSR, Vero, OKW

Next:

Oct- WLV
    Nov- Vero
    Dec- BWV
    Jan- SSR runICOT WEEKEND!
    Feb- Poly
    Mar- Disney Wonder
    Apr- AKL Kidani
    May- Vero
    Sept- BLT

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Christine View Post
    Not at all surprising that the crowds are larger than Hogsmeade seeing as this is larger and so plussed than the amazing Hogsmeade already is.

I'm thanking my lucky stars I was able to go thurs and Sunday during soft open- I don't mind waiting to ride gringotts for another time- the hogwarts express was my biggest desire!!! and Butterbeer ice cream!!
    Best to wait until they have Gringotts running at 100% capacity too...

I understand that they have started giving out return passes just to enter the land... Crazy man, crazy...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Christine View Post

I loved your pictures! Thanks so much for sharing them.

Karen

10/97 Dolphin w/ friends
    02/00 Off-site w/ DH
    09/06 POFQ w/ DD and friends
    09/07 AKL w/ DH, DD and DS!
    09/08 POR w/DS and friends
    05/10 CR w/ DH, DD and DS
    05/11 Hard Rock US/IOA w/ DH, DD and DS
    05/13 Royal Pacific US/IOA w/ DH, DD and DS
    02/16 Hard Rock US/IOA w/ DH, DD and DS

Post Thanks / Like

It is being reported that today has gone down as Universal Orlando's biggest attendance day in its history...

Question in, how much will attendance jump this year? We seen it climb 14% with just the Transformers opening last year.. But Diagon alley is no Transformers... This is a monster... Could another 15% or more attendance hike happen for Uni? Oh and BTW, IOA is also seeking a spike in attendance today...

Post Thanks / Like

Wow! Impressive!

I can't wait to check all of this out at the end of September! I don't want to rush the summer and the nice weather here, but between HHN and Diagon Alley - it's getting hard to be patient!
    '85-Disney Village Hilton; '87-Poly; '88-Day Trip-Disneyland; '89-GF; '94-GF; '97-ASMu; '98-Dixielandings; '02-CBR; '03-Offsite; '03-ASMo; '04-WL; '04-Offsite; '05-POFQ; '06-POFQ; '08-POP; '09-POP; '11-POP; '13-Day Trip-HS; Up next: Oct. '14-Day Trip-MK

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mfarquar View Post
    Wow! Impressive!

I can't wait to check all of this out at the end of September! I don't want to rush the summer and the nice weather here, but between HHN and Diagon Alley - it's getting hard to be patient!
    I know what you mean... I have no plans for this year, but I wish I did... I'm looking at the DVC availability and nothing... Hearing about what could be for HHN this year, and now Diagon alley, I really really want to go... But it may not be in the cards...

Post Thanks / Like

Any reports on 2nd day crowds? And whether the glitches have been fixed on Gringotts Ride?

Or, any reports by anyone who has actually ridden the new ride???

Karen

10/97 Dolphin w/ friends
    02/00 Off-site w/ DH

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MizMissy View Post
    Any reports on 2nd day crowds? And whether the glitches have been fixed on Gringotts Ride?

Or, any reports by anyone who has actually ridden the new ride???
    at one point today the wait time for Gringotts reached 7 and a half hours... They are still running it at maybe half capacity... And yes, it has experienced some technical issues...

Post Thanks / Like

This is a bummer for me! I came down to Melbourne to visit my husband who is stationed here for a few months and we decided to go to Universal for the weekend (July 11& 12). I mistakenly thought that Diagon Alley opened a couple of weeks ago when I saw it on the Today Show. I didn't do any research on it since I mostly follow Disney. Then I realized the Grand Opening was July 8. Now after hearing about the long lines to get in and on the rides, I am very afraid we will go and not get to do anything at either HP Park on top of all the thunderstorms we have been experiencing this week. Will this weekend be so crazy crowded that it will be a waste of time to go? DH is really not good with long long lines.
    I DO believe in fairies, I DO, I DO!

1977-2007 various resorts
    August 2007 CBR
    August 2009 Poly
    2010 July/August Ply
    2012 July BC & Christmas ASM
    2014 Sept BC
    2015 Sept BC Oct CS
    2016 May FQ Oct GF
    2017 Nov YC

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pixiesmimi View Post
    This is a bummer for me! I came down to Melbourne to visit my husband who is stationed here for a few months and we decided to go to Universal for the weekend (July 11& 12). I mistakenly thought that Diagon Alley opened a couple of weeks ago when I saw it on the Today Show. I didn't do any research on it since I mostly follow Disney. Then I realized the Grand Opening was July 8. Now after hearing about the long lines to get in and on the rides, I am very afraid we will go and not get to do anything at either HP Park on top of all the thunderstorms we have been experiencing this week. Will this weekend be so crazy crowded that it will be a waste of time to go? DH is really not good with long long lines.
    If you are staying on-site or otherwise have the Express Pass, that should help you with all the other rides, but I would not have much hope of seeing Diagon Alley this weekend if you are not willing to do long lines (I know I would not be willing to handle those long lines).

Karen

10/97 Dolphin w/ friends
    02/00 Off-site w/ DH

Post Thanks / Like

That was the only reason we bought tickets to Universal was to go to HP and Diagon Alley. I'm wondering now if I should just cancel our reservations and use the tickets some other time. We don't normally go to Universal but thought this would be a good time to see HP. We don't have the Express Pass but guess we could buy one. How much are they? We are not staying on property but very close by. I guess we can just take in the other sights and hope to come back some other time to ride. Hoping to still get into Diagon Alley. Sounds like Gringott's isn't running very well right now anyway. I can't imagine that the line just to get in would be so long that it would turn people away because of the wait. Surely they have something in the works to help this. I can understand on the first day, but afterwards??? I can't imagine WDW turning people away because it takes all day to just get in.

August 2007 CBR
    August 2009 Poly
    2010 July/August Ply
    2014 Sept BC
    2015 Sept BC Oct CS
    2016 May FQ Oct GF
    2017 Nov YC

Post Thanks / Like

So, are people basically spending the whole day waiting? Over seven hours to get into Diagon Alley and then five or six hours to ride Gringott's? That's amazing. Especially when you throw in the July heat. Are people passing out in those lines?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by epceddie View Post
    So, are people basically spending the whole day waiting? Over seven hours to get into Diagon Alley and then five or six hours to ride Gringott's? That's amazing. Especially when you throw in the July heat. Are people passing out in those lines?
    I was shocked to hear that people were waiting 4-6 hours just to do a Frozen character meet & greet. But to spend upwards of 6 hours just to get into Diagon Alley and then another 4-6 hours to ride Gringotts, that's beyond shocking. I can't imagine ever doing that. I mean, yeah, it would be great to say that you did it opening week and all, but the park isn't going anywhere. I just can't imagine spending my entire day just to get into one section and one ride, especially with three kids. There's be multiple meltdowns and a divorce if I tried to force my family to wait that long.

All the more power to you if you can do it, I can't (won't).

Post Thanks / Like

They hand out what essentially is a fast pass, or express pass at a certain point in time to people in order for them to return later in the day, if the wait exceeds several hours just to enter Diagon Alley... That way, instead of waiting 4 hours just to get into the land, you can do other things (shop, eat, spend money, and oh yea see the other attarctions LOL)... Then you return during at the time they give you and you enter the land... They have single rider lines for Gringotts if you are willing to split up your party... Reduces the wait time...

Once they get everything working on Gringotts 100%, wait times will reduce drastically... Capacity is huge for this attraction... Running at 50% or so isn't helping with the lines though...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pixiesmimi View Post
    That was the only reason we bought tickets to Universal was to go to HP and Diagon Alley. I'm wondering now if I should just cancel our reservations and use the tickets some other time. We don't normally go to Universal but thought this would be a good time to see HP. We don't have the Express Pass but guess we could buy one. How much are they? We are not staying on property but very close by. I guess we can just take in the other sights and hope to come back some other time to ride. Hoping to still get into Diagon Alley. Sounds like Gringott's isn't running very well right now anyway. I can't imagine that the line just to get in would be so long that it would turn people away because of the wait. Surely they have something in the works to help this. I can understand on the first day, but afterwards??? I can't imagine WDW turning people away because it takes all day to just get in.
    When are you going? This week? We went to the first phase of HP about 8 week after it opened and it was totally manageable. This week will surely be the worst.

If you are going this week or in the very near future, my suggestion is to get to the park prior to opening and make a beeline like everyone else to the new London area. I've always found that the Universal fans on-site guests aren't big morning people. I REALLY agree with DisneyFreak2000 with the tip to use the Single Rider Line if you can. You wait in line with your party just until it's time to get into the actual ride vehicle. We've found it very easy to meet up after the Universal rides after using the single rider line and have saved an immense amount of times (60 minute waits on Forbidden Journey tend to become 10 - 15 minute waits). Try to avoid visiting on a Saturday as well. Even if you end up getting the reservation/FastPass to return, at least the following is in your favor:

1) You don't waste valuable park time waiting
    2) You can visit the other great attractions in the park (including the Harry Potter side in Islands of Adventure if you have a 2 park ticket)
    3) When you do go into the London area, there should be more room to breathe than if they didn't manage it this way

Have a great time!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mfarquar View Post
    If you are going this week or in the very near future, my suggestion is to get to the park prior to opening and make a beeline like everyone else to the new London area. I've always found that the Universal fans on-site guests aren't big morning people.
    I don't know that I agree with this since one of the perks of staying onsite is the early entry into the parks, and I do know Universal hotel guests make good use of this. I have heard rumors that they are letting all guests start lining up at the entrance at 5:00 a.m. this week, for entry at the regular time. With early entry, I have also heard that resort guests are being let in at 7 a.m. and you can bet that those resort guests are probably already in line by at least 6:00 a.m. That said, that is still probably your best bet for waiting, say, 1-2 hours vs 3+ hours to get into Diagon Alley and (hopefully) ride Gringotts at some point during the day. Get there as early as possible before the park opens.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MNNHFLTX View Post
    I don't know that I agree with this since one of the perks of staying onsite is the early entry into the parks, and I do know Universal hotel guests make good use of this. I have heard rumors that they are letting all guests start lining up at the entrance at 5:00 a.m. this week, for entry at the regular time. With early entry, I have also heard that resort guests are being let in at 7 a.m. and you can bet that those resort guests are probably already in line by at least 6:00 a.m. That said, that is still probably your best bet for waiting, say, 1-2 hours vs 3+ hours to get into Diagon Alley and (hopefully) ride Gringotts at some point during the day. Get there as early as possible before the park opens.
    I missed the dates they were going. Yes, it will be crowded in the mornings - the usual rule of Universal guests does not apply.

The earlier the arrival, the better!

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, we are going this weekend. This was the only weekend I could go and made reservations without thinking about the opening being this week. If I didn't already have tickets, we would cancel, especially since it has been thunderstorms every afternoon this week and sometimes all day. (Yes, I know this is typical down here but the weather has been horrendous this week). Not a very fun way to see Universal for the first time since a looong time ago. What time do they open and close? 9:00 till ? I wonder if it would be easier to get in and on the ride later in the evening.

August 2007 CBR
    August 2009 Poly
    2010 July/August Ply
    2014 Sept BC
    2015 Sept BC Oct CS
    2016 May FQ Oct GF
    2017 Nov YC

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Share This Thread On Social Media: