Quantcast Seven Dwarfs Mine Train Vs Gringrots, who will have more people? - Page 3

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DonaldDuck1117 View Post
    My hope is that the Potterlands actually wake Disney up a bit and we can get a "theme park war" going between Disney and Universal with each trying to out do the other. That would be great for the tourist. Kind of like the "coaster wars" of the 90s and early 00s where every year parks where building bigger and faster coasters.

Ah, one can dream.

I could not agree with you more! I want a total theme park war! Then, I'll just have to book double the time and split it between the two properties.

My fear for Disney is that Avatar has hit quite a few snags and is STILL in pre-production. As in, despite the orignal filming schedules, they have yet to record even one shot at this point.

I say onto Star Wars! I think Disney could bring us something that no one has ever seen before. I would love this to be the first battle of the theme park wars!!
    '85-Disney Village Hilton; '87-Poly; '88-Day Trip-Disneyland; '89-GF; '94-GF; '97-ASMu; '98-Dixielandings; '02-CBR; '03-Offsite; '03-ASMo; '04-WL; '04-Offsite; '05-POFQ; '06-POFQ; '08-POP; '09-POP; '11-POP; '13-Day Trip-HS; Up next: Oct. '14-Day Trip-MK

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Interesting to note the absolute mania around the Gringott's Bank ride this morning at Universal. Last I heard, it was a 4 - 5 hour wait for the ride and a 1.5 hour wait just to get into the Diagon Alley area. Universal started handing out reservations to those in line to return later in the day. The video on the local Orlando news is incredible.

Harry Potter fans were lining up prior to 5am in costume, some openly weeping with joy when they got to experience the area (easy to find the footage via a Google search). This is some intense brand loyalty! haha

It is abundantly clear that this new area is bringing people specifically to Universal for this attraction/land.
    '85-Disney Village Hilton; '87-Poly; '88-Day Trip-Disneyland; '89-GF; '94-GF; '97-ASMu; '98-Dixielandings; '02-CBR; '03-Offsite; '03-ASMo; '04-WL; '04-Offsite; '05-POFQ; '06-POFQ; '08-POP; '09-POP; '11-POP; '13-Day Trip-HS; Up next: Oct. '14-Day Trip-MK

Post Thanks / Like

Having fell victim to the craze over the forbidden journey and scheduling trip there years ago, all I'll say is capacity doesn't mean a thing when they can't manage their crowds and their rides break constantly.
    We got stuck on the Forbidden Journey for over 2 hours (yes 2 hours!) and when we finally "escaped" they laughed and asked us if we enjoyed the "backstage tour" um...no. My neck was killing me from being sideways for over an hour. They offered us NOTHING other than front of the ride passes (which we already had for staying on property) When we asked if there was anything else they could do the customer service girl at the front literally freaked out on us.
    Couple that with a million other horrible customer service issues that trip, grumpy ride operators, that stupid locker system they have for rides, and lines that went nowhere and people utterly confused with no staff to help them Universal has NOTHING on Disney.

I adore the Loew's resorts, but Universal Parks have completely lost any allure they'd ever have for me and until they fix their park management issues, ****** employee attitudes and utter disorganization I think they'll get people in to try it because the themeing really is cool, but they sure won't get the repeat visits once people associate Universal vacations with tons of stress and chaos.

Anyhow....Avatar land, I just.don't.get They ought to scrap the entire idea and just go with a Star Wars theme area.
    Going on 25+ visits
    1980-1999
    Villas, Contemporary, The Dolphin, Caribbean Beach, All Star Sports, ALM, Dixie Landings
    2000 All Star Movies
    2000 Dixie Landings
    2001 Disney Institute Villas
    2001, 2002, 2003 Riverside
    2004-2013 Dolphin
    2010 First trip to Disneyland! - Grand Californian

Post Thanks / Like

I understand that the Escape from Gringott's ride is not running at full capacity today, but the latest wait times I've seen posted this afternoon was 450 minutes! That's seven and a half HOURS! That's just insane. And there was a 2-3 hour wait just to get into Diagon Alley, before you could even get in the queue for Gringott's.

Either USO has mismanaged the opening (too soon maybe, before the ride was really ready?)

OR this new attraction/land is going to be the #1 smash new opening hit of theme park history.
    1971 (age 15) MK was new!
    1974 off-site (Senior Trip)
    1982 off-site
    1988 off-site
    May 2002 AS-Sports, with DW & kids
    May 2004 Pop Century
    Feb 2005 Wilderness Lodge
    Oct 2006 Pop Century
    Oct 2008 Camped at Fort Wilderness
    Feb 2010 Cruise on the Wonder
    Dec 2014 POFQ for Christmas!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joonyer View Post
    I understand that the Escape from Gringott's ride is not running at full capacity today, but the latest wait times I've seen posted this afternoon was 450 minutes! That's seven and a half HOURS! That's just insane. And there was a 2-3 hour wait just to get into Diagon Alley, before you could even get in the queue for Gringott's.

Either USO has mismanaged the opening (too soon maybe, before the ride was really ready?)

OR this new attraction/land is going to be the #1 smash new opening hit of theme park history.
    Wasn't mismanaged at all... Not like Hogsmeade, which, again, caught them totally off guard and yes, mismanaged... They were very prepared this time around...

You are looking at the new gold standard of theme park lands (outside of DisneySea but that is in Japan, not the U.S.)...
    Son of Jor-El.. Kneel before Zod...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EricJ View Post
    (Y'know, like Diagon Alley...)

I've seen enough corporate wars to know that it's the CUSTOMERS who ultimately end up as the bombed-out refugees, while the hostility between the foreign power states continue.
    Well, I still feel like a bombed-out refugee with tickets going up from $63 per adult in 2006 to visit the Magic Kingdom to $95 with no true E-attractions being added since then (using Expedition Everest as the last E-ticket at AK).

At least during the wars we got new rides for our money!

The current situation is an example of a company shifting is revenue structure and focus.

If they had broken ground on Star Wars or advancing with Avatar at this point, I wouldn't be complaining...

Post Thanks / Like

There are more letters in the alphabet than E.
    Yes, but it's hard to justify spending 33% more on park tickets for A, B, C, or even Ds.
    1982 off-site
    1988 off-site
    May 2004 Pop Century
    Oct 2006 Pop Century

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joonyer View Post
    Yes, but it's hard to justify spending 33% more on park tickets for A, B, C, or even Ds.
    Precisely my point!

Post Thanks / Like

Universal can get away with building a land with one ride (except they didnt. They also added the Hogwarts Express ride so that's 2) because they also added shops with unique items and places to eat unique foods and drinks.

Also, Universal has added Transformers, Minion Mayhem, Simpsons ride and mini land, and Rip Ride Rocket in the past decade. Basically they are adding attractions left and right.

Disney had the Disney Decade under Eisner...well we are very much experiencing a Universal Decade.

And if Disney and Universal have a theme park war we get a ton of new toys to play with!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mfarquar View Post
    Precisely my point!
    And my math was off. It's actually more than a 50% increase.
    1982 off-site
    1988 off-site
    May 2004 Pop Century
    Oct 2006 Pop Century

Post Thanks / Like

When your "new ride" is a new movie on the same video screens and a lick of fresh paint on the old ride system, it's easy to crank them out fast.

Yes, the Harry Potter stuff is terrific, and it's having the desired effect for them. Assuming the desired effect is that you could shoot a cannon through any other part of Islands of Adventure on any given weekday, while you can't even move in Hogsmeade. (I'm sure it's busier now that summer has come, but during the school year, man was it quiet in IOA, other than the HP area.)

I'm delighted that they are doing cool stuff, especially the HP stuff. Looking forward to getting a look at that -- in the fall, after the craziness has died down a little. But if my last few visits were any indication, they are still light years away from providing the guest experience I want. The place is still too much concrete, not enough trees, surly employees, long lines, and except for the HP spaces, very mediocre theming.

Then again, I'm totally not the audience. I'll leave Universal to all you thrill ride junkies My idea of the perfect theme park is one where I can have a fantastic day without ever even going on a ride. Give me a rose garden and a barbershop quartet and I'm happy!
    FL Resident Annual Passholder since 2005
    Charter Member, D23
    DVC May 2014 - Villas at Grand Floridian
    Castaway Club Gold (7 cruises, #8 April, 2023)

"There is nothing we do here that is not creative.
    There is nothing creative that we do not do here."
    --WDI

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TracyL View Post
    I'm delighted that they are doing cool stuff, especially the HP stuff. Looking forward to getting a look at that -- in the fall, after the craziness has died down a little. But if my last few visits were any indication, they are still light years away from providing the guest experience I want. The place is still too much concrete, not enough trees, surly employees, long lines, and except for the HP spaces, very mediocre theming.
    Really? We were just there I May and found personnel very friendly and helpful and the theming throughout both parks to be quite good. I realize that everyone has their own take on things, it just seemed like such a blanket statement.

As much as I want to see the new HP stuff we will wait on another trip too, until March, maybe? It's just too crazy right now.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TracyL View Post
    When your "new ride" is a new movie on the same video screens and a lick of fresh paint on the old ride system, it's easy to crank them out fast.
    Y
    You mean Star Wars (and upgrade), Body Wars (RIP), Captain EO, Honey I Shrunk the Audience, and Muppets 4-D (LOVE this one)?

These are different variations of the same rides. Disney has been doing this forever and does it with their popular rides developed for other parks and then rolls out cheaper versions in Florida. Going that route of logic, you could make the argument that the Disney dark rides over the years are virtually the same ride system as well. It's the combination of components of the ride that creates the overall user experience.

Yes, Simpsons uses the same ride system upgraded from Back to the Future, but I don't see how that's any different than what Disney does. As someone who has ridden Spiderman and Transformers, they are very different experiences, with Transformers being a definitive 2.0 version of the system. Universal has been cranking out rides very high on the fun factor.

Harry Potter uses a ride system that was never before used in such a way (KUKA robotic arms on a Busbar system - the KUKA arms are similar to what is used to build cars in American factories - they are highly intricate in movement and robotic fine motor skills), so that is indisputably cutting edge. Disney saw these at the IAPA convention in Orlando along with Universal. Word on the street is that they passed making a big investment in it because of the cost. So, they use them in EPCOT in Innoventions for a virtual experience, but is it is like the build your own rollercoaster attraction experience at Disney Quest - no Busbar, just stationary. Can't speak for Gringott's as I will not try it until September!

Post Thanks / Like

Which sounds nice, until you remember what a child does with a new toy after he plays with it once.
    (If you're not sure, just try going uphill to the Jurassic Park section, where there's more elbow room--Have they fixed that place back up yet?)

)
    I guess I was a kid in the minority, but I liked playing over and over with the best toys and had definitive favorites.

Universal rides have GREAT re-ridability. This is the reason why so many families are spending additional days in these parks and nights at the Universal hotels. With Forbidden Journey going 4 years strong and continual increased attendance numbers, it seems to be handling repeat business just fine. Despite being a rabid Disney fan, I've been enjoying re-riding Universal rides over and over again (with the exception of Twister and Terminator - need to be overhauled).

And yes, they fixed the broken animatronics at Jurassic Park two seasons ago (we used to call them the zombie dinosaurs cause their skin was kinda of undead looking). Now only if the Disco Yetti would be fixed after so many years of living under a strobe light!

Post Thanks / Like

Which means that Universal is discovering--just now--what Walt knew since 1955:
    A coaster will get someone into Six Flags, but the 360-Rule feeling of actually BEING somewhere else will make them feel as if they're in that someplace different they always imagined to be.
    I couldn't agree more! That's why the Universal rollercoasters are incredible and different than what you'll find elsewhere. Rip Ride and Rockit is a totally customizable experience - even with hidden musical tracks and inversions where cars travel outside the tracks. Try it out - it's an invigorating experience!

Universal only has 2 other real coasters - Hulk and Dragon Challenge. Both unique, usually very smooth and high on fun. You are completely immersed in the land of Marvel or Potter and then you feel like you are 100% thrown into a high-adrenaline experience that fits with the visual storyline. As a coaster freak - you can't compare these to some of the Six Flags offerings (ESPECIALLY Six Flags New England). Universal knows it doesn't have to build the biggest, highest or fastest coasters in the U.S. (Six Flags, Cedar Point, Busch Gardens, and Kings Dominion have this market) - they just know how to make some of the most fun ones!

Post Thanks / Like

Wink

I can't believe the amount of ride bashing for US re imagined rides here. At least they aren't shutting down rides to make bigger meet n greets for characters. Seriously what's so different between the 7.5 hour line up for Gringotts ride or the 4.5 hour lineup to meet a couple of Princess' ? They're both stupid long lines.

I like Universal - I always will - and I love what they are doing with the parks.

I like Disneyworld - I always will - although I'm not sure what they are doing with their parks.

I will visit both and have fun at each - appreciating what they offer in their own way. If ya don't like them, don't go. Nuff said.
    Shannon

~It's not the number of breaths you take, it's the moments that take your breath away~
    ~You should never take more than you give~ The Circle of Life

Post Thanks / Like

My kids tell me HP was so fifth grade...

WDW is timeless!
    Beth & David

09/82 Treehouse Villas, 06/86 BVP, 10/95 CBR, 10/99 DI, 08/03 PORS, 10/05 POP, 11/06 AKL, 09/09 POLY, 10/10 Wonder, 05/11 Dream/PORS, 08/13 POLY, 11/13 GF, 04/15 POLY, 11/15 BLT, 11/16 Aulani, 03/17 BLT, 08/18 BLT, 07/19 AKL, 06/21 BLT

Post Thanks / Like

Except there is a whole new batch of fifth graders set to just discover Harry Potter...just as they are also set to discover Aladdin, Beauty and the Beast, Ariel, etc.

Universal grabbed a timeless IP and they are doing a great job. Bravo to them. Time to respond Disney

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: