Quantcast Monitoring Ride Quality

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Monitoring Ride Quality

We were up at Disney this past weekend and I noticed what seem to be small problems with the rides. One of the most noticeable was Splash Mountain, the background music was too loud and it was drowning out the dialogue of the characters. Another was Dinosaurs at AK, it was much darker then I remember you couldn't see most of featured parts of the ride. I.E. the pterodactyl that's over the car didn't see it. You keep hearing dino and "look out" cues but saw nothing. It could of been my eyes didn't have enough time to adjust or maybe they do this to make it less scary.

I wonder how often they are tweaked to ensure ride quality?

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LittleDreamer View Post
    We were up at Disney this past weekend and I noticed what seem to be small problems with the rides. One of the most noticeable was Splash Mountain, the background music was too loud and it was drowning out the dialogue of the characters. Another was Dinosaurs at AK, it was much darker then I remember you couldn't see most of featured parts of the ride. I.E. the pterodactyl that's over the car didn't see it. You keep hearing dino and "look out" cues but saw nothing. It could of been my eyes didn't have enough time to adjust or maybe they do this to make it less scary.

I wonder how often they are tweaked to ensure ride quality?
    I've noticed the ride quality of Dinosaur diminish over time as well. I thought I remember the pterodactyl actually moving before, but now it simply just lights up with a scream, similar to the Yeti. I think the reason why it is or seems darker is because of the increase of failing robotics causing them to actually decrease the light in order for us not to notice it as much. At least, that is what it seems to me throughout the years.
    Disneyland 30+
    * 2000 (Jul) - Off-site * 2003 (Aug) - Contemporary * 2006 (Jul) - Fort Wilderness Cabins * 2009-10 (Dec-Jan) - Caribbean Beach * 2011 (Nov) - POP (13 days!!!) * 2013 (Jul) - Saratoga Springs * 2014 (Jul) Boardwalk Villas * 2015 (Jul) AKV/VWL * 2016 (Jul) OKW

DVC SSR > Mar-2013

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

We noticed similar issues on many attractions on our trip last month, especially the audio quality issues.

In Carousel of Progress the music audio was drowning out the Dad so badly you could hardly hear what he was saying. The worst by far though was Philharmagic ... it was BAD. The film was very dark and dirty looking. It was so worn you could hardly enjoy the 3D effects and the sound was very muddy and unclear. I felt bad for the poor thing.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

One year it was the fluorescent paint that was bothering me everywhere. I noticed it on Haunted Mansion and on Peter Pan. Peter Pan isn't so bad because it's a children's book and the colors can be strangely bright, but I don't want to notice the paint in the Haunted Mansion -- It should just have a faint other-worldly glow.

I wish they would tone down the Mary Poppins section of the Great Movie ride. It may be accurate, but it's louder than other parts of the ride so the high pitch of it hurts my ears. It always has, so I guess this isn't really a quality issue.

Post Thanks / Like

I think all the films need to be cleaned up. Everything from Soarin, to Muppets, to World Showcase and more. Since we all have HD TV's at home or on our phones, everything just looks that much older.
    ===================

2016 POR
    2015 CS
    2014 WDW-Offsite
    2014 Disneyland-offsite
    2014 CBR
    2013 Dolphin
    2012 POR
    2012 WDW-Offsite
    2011 ASMusic, POR

1998 Dixie Landings
    1990's, Dixie Landings, Misc Offsite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by texas211 View Post
    Since we all have HD TV's at home or on our phones, everything just looks that much older.
    Wow, what a great point... it's been seven years since our last trip, heard stories about the Soarin' tape and other lack of upgrades. But since 2007 I have MUCH better video, phone and audio at home, in the car and at work.

Sort of sets me up for a potential disappointment.
    Honeymoon, 89
    Poly 2002
    CR 2003
    Shades of Green May 2007
    GF June 2014 (25th Anniversary)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by texas211 View Post
    I think all the films need to be cleaned up. Everything from Soarin, to Muppets, to World Showcase and more. Since we all have HD TV's at home or on our phones, everything just looks that much older.
    I made this point during our trip ... all their films look very, very dated when compared to modern projection techniques.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

When we last rode Dinosaur (2012), I thought it was exceptionally dark almost to the point of unenjoyable. My thought then was they were masking malfunctioning attractions.

When you see promotional videos, everything is so clear. I would love to see it return to its original state.
    WDW - 99 Off Site
    WDW - 00 C.Springs, Wilderness
    WDW - 01 POFQ, Boardwalk
    WDW - 02 C.Beach, POFQ, AK Lodge
    WDW - 04 Riverside
    WDW - 05 C.Springs
    WDW - 07 Riverside
    WDW - 11 C.Beach
    WDW - 12 POFQ
    WDW - 14 Riverside
    WDW - 15 POFQ
    WDW - 19 Wilderness
    WDW - 20 C.Beach

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting! We went on Dinosaur and it was darker than I remembered, but I thought it was just me misremembering. Good to know it wasn't!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post

In Carousel of Progress the music audio was drowning out the Dad so badly you could hardly hear what he was saying. The worst by far though was Philharmagic ... it was BAD. The film was very dark and dirty looking. It was so worn you could hardly enjoy the 3D effects and the sound was very muddy and unclear. I felt bad for the poor thing.
    Kinda makes me think of the Norway Malestrom movie. Anyone actually look at it lately? Last time passing through, I saw a computer running DOS (when they are mentioning Modern Technology) and a very grainy filmstrip.

On the plus side, anyone look at Star Tours' revamp? Outstanding!

Last Ride Ridden - Test Track
    Last Eatery Visited - Tangerine Cafe

July 1984 (off WDW)
    June 1995 (off WDW)
    July 2005 (Pop Century)
    April 2008 (offsite)
    Feb 2009 (All Star Music)
    Feb 2010 (POP)
    Sept/Oct 2010 (Sports)
    Jan/Feb 2012 (ASMovies)
    Sep/Oct 2013 (offsite)
    Feb 2015 (POFQ)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SandmanGStefani24 View Post

On the plus side, anyone look at Star Tours' revamp? Outstanding!

I totally agree. On our last trip (2012), that was DD9's and my favorite attraction.
    WDW - 99 Off Site
    WDW - 00 C.Springs, Wilderness
    WDW - 01 POFQ, Boardwalk
    WDW - 02 C.Beach, POFQ, AK Lodge
    WDW - 04 Riverside
    WDW - 05 C.Springs
    WDW - 07 Riverside
    WDW - 11 C.Beach
    WDW - 12 POFQ
    WDW - 14 Riverside
    WDW - 15 POFQ
    WDW - 19 Wilderness
    WDW - 20 C.Beach

Post Thanks / Like

All of the projection based rides should take a clue from the new Star Tours and go with digital projection.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MNDisney Dad View Post
    All of the projection based rides should take a clue from the new Star Tours and go with digital projection.
    I'm sure its coming, but it's expensive. Not counting the cost of the projectors. I talked to one of the longtime maintenance engineers at Disneyland when the new Star Tours was going in. He told me replacing the bulbs on the digital projectors is actually more expensive than replacing the 70mm film prints they used to use. I forgot how long he said the bulbs last, but not so long considering how many hours are put on them.
    Chris °O°
    DISNEYLAND AP - First visit 1969

WALT DISNEY WORLD - First visit 1985
    HONG KONG DISNEYLAND - First visit 2005
    SHANGHAI DISNEYLAND - First visit 2016
    DISNEY DREAM CRUISE - First Cruise March 2019
    FUTURE + WORLD SHOWCASE = EPCOT (Favorite WDW park)

Post Thanks / Like

I have to agree. I thought Dinosaur was AWESOME when it first opened (as Countdown to Extincting). I even bought a ride Tshirt (which I never do)! But now it is just a let down. I agree about the music being too loud on most rides. I thought I was simply getting old, but maybe not?

I thought Disney was about the details?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 2Epcot View Post
    I'm sure its coming, but it's expensive. Not counting the cost of the projectors. I talked to one of the longtime maintenance engineers at Disneyland when the new Star Tours was going in. He told me replacing the bulbs on the digital projectors is actually more expensive than replacing the 70mm film prints they used to use. I forgot how long he said the bulbs last, but not so long considering how many hours are put on them.
    That's what they're supposed to do with the revenue they make from tickets, hotels, souvenirs and special events.

I agree that certain attractions are suffering from lack of quality control and updates. It seems particularly ironic in light of all the technology they are using with the MDE stuff.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    In Carousel of Progress the music audio was drowning out the Dad so badly you could hardly hear what he was saying.
    That actually has alot to do with what row you sit in. From experince I have noticed the music track is coming from speakers above the second to last row, but the voice track is coming from the stage. Sitting closer to the front really helps that problem.
    "Welcome, Foolish Mortals..."

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: