Quantcast WDW Solo?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Thread: WDW Solo?

Post Thanks / Like

Default WDW Solo?

So I'm considering going to WDW all by myself this November for a few nights. As much as I'd love to have some company, that seems unlikely at this point for various reasons. I've done beach trips alone and a couple of overnight trips alone but never Disney. We were supposed to be going in 3 weeks but canceled because DD16 was given an opportunity to travel to Europe with a group from school and that trip overlapped with our family trip. Since it looks like we won't be doing a family trip for at least 2 years, I'm having serious withdrawals!! I'd really love to hear from people who have done WDW solo. Pros and cons, experiences good and bad, etc. I value all input from people who have actually braved the World alone. Thanks, Intercotters!!
    Jenn

1974 * 1985 * 1993 * 1997 * 1997 * 2000 * 2002 * 2004 * 2005
    Oct 06 CBR/AKL
    Dec 06 ASM
    Oct 07 POP
    June 08 POFQ
    Sept 08 SSR
    Jan 09 SSR
    May/June 09 BCV/AKV
    Aug 09 AKV
    Oct 09 AKV
    Christmas 09 BLT
    May/June 2011 CBR
    May/June 2012 AKV

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile

I did my first solo trip last year. Solo absolutely by choice and loved every minute of it.

Honestly, you do not realize how much you have to compromise when you are with other people until you spend 40 minutes in a shop in Epcot looking at scarves. It is so nice to do what you want, when you want.

Eating is easier, again - what YOU want and when you want it.

The hotel is nicer, more room and no wait for the facilities.

Navigating the parks is great. As a solo you can slip through crowds without losing a companion. I also found everyone, CMs and other guests, to be super nice and if I wanted to chat I could strike up a conversation easily.

Single rider line at Everest.

I wasn't lonely. I certainly wasn't bored. I felt super safe. Best trip ever. I don't know that I will go again with companions. I really, really liked the solo option.
    Nell

Post Thanks / Like

I've done 4 solo trips (I think it's four...) and have loved them all so much. You don't have to worry about what anyone else wants to do, eat, see or ride. You sleep when you want, go to the park you want, and sit when you want.

I've never felt alone, there is always someone around to chat with. CM's are always great.

I honestly can't think of one con...if you can make it work financially, I say go for it! WDW is pretty safe, and once you are there, you don't really need to navigate away from it.
    Meg

40 trips (plus two to Disneyland, and one to Disneyland Paris) and counting!

Post Thanks / Like

It sounds like you both have had exactly the kind of experience I'm hoping for! I must confess, the freedom aspect of a solo trip appeals to me a great deal. As much as I love our family trips, I think I would equally love being able to do whatever I feel like and not having to worry anoit everyone else's opinions. The only thing that makes me a little nervous is dining at the table service restaurants by myself. I know that's silly. LOL It doesn't sound like that was ever an issue for y'all, which makes it seem less intimidating to me.
    Jenn

Oct 06 CBR/AKL
    Dec 06 ASM
    Oct 07 POP
    June 08 POFQ
    Sept 08 SSR
    Jan 09 SSR
    May/June 09 BCV/AKV
    Aug 09 AKV
    Oct 09 AKV
    Christmas 09 BLT
    May/June 2011 CBR
    May/June 2012 AKV

7.37 miles from WDW. My retirement dream come true!
    Post Thanks / Like

I've done 6 solo trips and like others have said...I love it. Regarding the dining alone at table service...I always bring a book with me so if I feel the need I can read and not feel awkward but 9 times out of ten, I strike up a conversation with the servers and/or people sitting near me...when they see you're alone they love to talk! It's truly the most relaxing kind of trip to WDW and recommend it highly. You'll have a great time! I even get photo pass and get some great photos...more interaction with the photographer!!!
    I LOVE DISNEY WORLD!!!!!
    A dream is a wish your heart makes and mine came true when I retired here in December 2014! I go to a park at least once a week!

Post Thanks / Like

Im doing my 1st solo trip in June. Getting very excited. Planning things I never have gotten to do when I take my nieces and nephews.
    Stormi

2003 All star Sports
    2006 Pop Century

June 2008 All Star Movies
    April 2011 Pop Century
    Aug 2012 All Star Music
    June 2014 Port Orleans Riverside

Post Thanks / Like

I am glad you started this thread. I am considering a solo trip this September. Good to hear the strategies and have the upsides confirmed!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WishingStar2006 View Post
    I've done 6 solo trips and like others have said...I love it. Regarding the dining alone at table service...I always bring a book with me so if I feel the need I can read and not feel awkward but 9 times out of ten, I strike up a conversation with the servers and/or people sitting near me...when they see you're alone they love to talk!
    Excellent idea!! I feel less intimidated already.

Quote Originally Posted by angua85 View Post
    I am glad you started this thread. I am considering a solo trip this September. Good to hear the strategies and have the upsides confirmed!
    I know, right! Just reading about so many positive solo experiences and knowing that many others are considering this also makes me even more excited and determined to go it alone. Like others have already pointed out, we really do make concessions and compromises when we travel with others. Not that that's bad, it'll just be different. And since I try to make each WDW trip different from past experiences and do things I've never done before, this trip has the potential to be the best one yet. SO excited!!! Let the planning begin!!!
    Jenn

Oct 06 CBR/AKL
    Dec 06 ASM
    Oct 07 POP
    June 08 POFQ
    Sept 08 SSR
    Jan 09 SSR
    May/June 09 BCV/AKV
    Aug 09 AKV
    Oct 09 AKV
    Christmas 09 BLT
    May/June 2011 CBR
    May/June 2012 AKV

Post Thanks / Like

I love going solo. I haven't been by myself in over ten years but am looking forward to the day when I can go by myself without the kids getting mad.

I always brought a book to read in line or at dinner but an ipad/smartphone is probably the way to go now.
    Too many trips to count!
    Disneyland!
    DisneyWorld!
    Disneyland Paris!
    Coming soon Tokyo!
    [SIZE=4][/SIZE

I have stayed at: All Star Movies, All Star Music, Pop Century, Art of Animation, Port Orleans Riverside, Caribbean Beach Resort, Saratoga Springs Resort

Post Thanks / Like

You will have a great time doing exactly what YOU want to do & when YOU want to do it

Enjoy your solo trip
    First WDW Trip 1984
    30+ Trips since 1984
    Disneyland 4 Visits
    Disneyland Paris 2010
    40th Wedding Anniversary December 2013
    Disney Cruises 2: Magic 2005, Fantasy 2012
    Last Trip November 2019

Post Thanks / Like

Default Solo: Best trip EVER!

As many others have said, a solo trip is very liberating. WDW is the only place I seem to relax but my one and only solo trip proved that I really wasn't that relaxed when I was trying to organize and coordinate a vacation for more than one person. I did everything I would do normally do, including table service meals, and enjoyed every minute of it. Don't hesitate to take that solo trip. It's completely worth it.

Post Thanks / Like

Did my first solo trip back in December. Enjoyed it immensely. Was able to set my own schedule and do pretty much anything I wanted.....

Got to meet Denise (from Magical Journeys) and her family and had a blast with them my first night down.

The only drawback for me was that I threw out my back in the airport on the way down and was in Level 9 (on a scale of 1 - 10) pain for the first 5 days of an 8 day trip. Once it popped back into place (on a bus going back to Pop Century!!) the rest of the trip was heaven!!!!

Looking forward to doing this again!! (Pain free next time though!)
    -Bud

Walt Disney World:
    9/03 - CBR
    1/09 - BWV
    9/05; 2/07; 12/07; 9/08; 9/09; 9/10; 9/11; 12/13; 12/17; 4/18; 10/18, 4/23 - PC
    5/15 - POR
    1/22 - ASMO
    10/22 - ASMU

Disneyland: 12/15 - Paradise Pier Hotel

Next up: ???

Post Thanks / Like

I have booked my solo trip! Woohoo! The time frame includes 2 possible MNSSHP, and I just might do them both. I am not a parade person, that I *love* that parade.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angua85 View Post
    I have booked my solo trip! Woohoo! The time frame includes 2 possible MNSSHP, and I just might do them both. I am not a parade person, that I *love* that parade.
    I LOVE Disney parades, and MNSSHP parade is by far my favorite. It has a really fun creepiness factor to it.

I have officially booked my trip! I moved it back a couple of weeks and am now going in the middle of November. I've never been in November, and I'm super pumped. I'm guessing most of the Christmas decorations will be up and hopefully the crowds will be down. Yet another advantage of going without my school age daughter. Got to make my dining reservations this morning. I was so excited that I was wide awake an hour before my alarm was scheduled to go off. How sad is it that I love the planning almost as much as the trip itself? LOL

180 days to go!!!!!!!
    Jenn

Oct 06 CBR/AKL
    Dec 06 ASM
    Oct 07 POP
    June 08 POFQ
    Sept 08 SSR
    Jan 09 SSR
    May/June 09 BCV/AKV
    Aug 09 AKV
    Oct 09 AKV