Quantcast Too many rides down! - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by texas211 View Post
    All the more reason to not settle for a land, when you can have the world. We are looking fwd to our next trip to WDW to get the cali experience out of our minds.. This is the beta site. The first Disney park.. They got it right when they built florida. We'll see how the rest of our week goes.

And if venture to say that if I were a Disneyland regular who visited WDW for the first time during this MyMagic+ testing nightmare, I'd feel the same way about WDW. Things happen, and to me this sounds like a situation of very unfortunate timing this past week at Disneyland. It's not the norm.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
    And if venture to say that if I were a Disneyland regular who visited WDW for the first time during this MyMagic+ testing nightmare, I'd feel the same way about WDW. Things happen, and to me this sounds like a situation of very unfortunate timing this past week at Disneyland. It's not the norm.
    Agree with you here to a point, but from what my sister told me, this has become the "norm" over the past six months or so. They are local pass holders and go often and have noticed a rapid increase in both crowd levels and rides down.

Ironically, Thursday and Friday of last week ended up being the least crowded days. I was surprised by Friday, in particular.

I think the issue this spring has been twofold: too many high capacity rides closed along with the return of the So Cal "2fer" ticket offer. I think it might be time to retire that promotion. It started many years ago when attendance was exceptionally low between spring break and the end of May. At the time, they needed to bring people in. At this point, they don't NEED more people, especially when they have such an aggressive refurbishment schedule.

I am not ready to write off Disneyland or anything like that. However, it seems very clear that the loss of George K. has had a negative impact on park operations. In addition, for the FIRST time in my life, I was generally shocked at the low quality of the CMs in the parks. Apathetic, ineffective at crowd control, and generally just poor attitudes all around, even the lifeguards at the DLH pool who would rather chit chat than actually enforce safety in the pool area (I wish I was not serious about this one).

Something has changed at DL in the past year and it is not a positive change. I am interested to see how things are in October, at a different time of year with less refurbs happening.

Overall, we had a wonderful family vacation. Honestly. One of our best. I don't expect perfection from every Disney vacation, but I also won't blindly accept a substandard experience, which our first couple of days definitely were. I will be writing about my concerns just to feel as though they might take them seriously.

One thing we did definitely realize is that it is wise to AVOID the park that has EMH for the entire morning and early afternoon. EMH has become just insane.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

We arrived here in Cali on Sat, and spent all day sunday at Dl. This is our first time, as we usually go to WDW.

Aside from the massive refurb schedule, several broke down attractions. Indiana Jones and splash were down for a good portion of the day. We had no issue w/ Thunder, but others had said it had been down.

All the more reason to not settle for a land, when you can have the world. We are looking fwd to our next trip to WDW to get the cali experience out of our minds.. This is the beta site. The first Disney park.. They got it right when they built florida. We'll see how the rest of our week goes.
    I can't say I am surprised by your opinion. Honestly, I can completely understand your point of view. I was saying that I felt badly for anyone who was visiting DLR for the first time last week as they would be getting the worst possible first impression. You are justified here, although I generally don't feel the way you do. However, I have years of past experience at DLR and overall still prefer it to WDW. Neither one is bad, though. They each go through their phases and growing pains. For awhile there, before the DCA refresh, DLR was feeling quite stale. Now, I feel like WDW is experiencing the same thing (staleness, outdated attractions). There is a LOT that needs to be "fixed" at WDW still. I have very little desire to return to WDW in its current state and am actually more interested in what is going on over at Universal (for the first time ever).

I'll be back to DLR in October. Just can't stay away.
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    I think the issue this spring has been twofold: too many high capacity rides closed along with the return of the So Cal "2fer" ticket offer. I think it might be time to retire that promotion. It started many years ago when attendance was exceptionally low between spring break and the end of May. At the time, they needed to bring people in. At this point, they don't NEED more people, especially when they have such an aggressive refurbishment schedule.
    I'm actually surprised they brought back the So Cal 2fer" ticket offer. I believe they took away all the local promotions with the amazing success of the CA Adventure makeover and the addition of Cars Land.

CA Adventure had always been the ugly step child to Disneyland ... Now both parks are doing very well. Many days CA Adventure beats Disneyland on "first click" attendance ... The gate people enter first in the morning.

I know a lot of Annual Passholders are upset they they let people buy APs now on a payment plan, feeling that has increased the AP holders by allowing more people to spread the cost over a year than having to come up with the money up front.

The 2fer tickets were good in the day, and I used them in the past, but they are not needed anymore to get people in the parks. The parks stay full. Cars Land will have been open for 2 years this summer. I know I still need to get there when the gates open, if I want to get a FastPass for Radiator Springs Racers or wait at least 90 to 120 minutes for Standby (which I never do).
    Chris °O°
    DISNEYLAND AP - First visit 1969

WALT DISNEY WORLD - First visit 1985
    HONG KONG DISNEYLAND - First visit 2005
    SHANGHAI DISNEYLAND - First visit 2016
    DISNEY DREAM CRUISE - First Cruise March 2019
    FUTURE + WORLD SHOWCASE = EPCOT (Favorite WDW park)

Post Thanks / Like

Well, made it back after our excruciatingly painful DL stay. Managed 4 days, 2 days at each park. Finished off our last day at DL. On top of all the rides that are closed for scheduled refurb, had issues w/ Splash and the Matterhorn being down due to issues. Just a disaster.

Aside from Carsland (racers) and Thunder Mountain, I see no benefits to ever returning to Anaheim.

Just a horrible trip (I'll save my list of complaints). But with as few rides available, and all the other issues I had w/ my trip, I feel as if I've been ripped off. We are already planning a trip to WDW, to get the DL "taste" out of our mouths.
    ===================

2016 POR
    2015 CS
    2014 WDW-Offsite
    2014 Disneyland-offsite
    2014 CBR
    2013 Dolphin
    2012 POR
    2012 WDW-Offsite
    2011 ASMusic, POR

1998 Dixie Landings
    1990's, Dixie Landings, Misc Offsite

Post Thanks / Like

Well, made it back after our excruciatingly painful DL stay. Managed 4 days, 2 days at each park. Finished off our last day at DL. On top of all the rides that are closed for scheduled refurb, had issues w/ Splash and the Matterhorn being down due to issues. Just a disaster.

Aside from Carsland (racers) and Thunder Mountain, I see no benefits to ever returning to Anaheim.

Just a horrible trip (I'll save my list of complaints). But with as few rides available, and all the other issues I had w/ my trip, I feel as if I've been ripped off. We are already planning a trip to WDW, to get the DL "taste" out of our mouths.
    Sorry you had a bad trip. That is never fun. I had a terrible WDW trip last August and we are just now finally able to laugh about it...sometimes...

Our DL trip ended up being great overall but mostly just due to spending quality family time together. We just rolled with the issues because we had been to DLR so many times before and didn't feel pressured to do things.
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like

This is such a disappointing thread for me to read. We are so excited to be planning a trip to the Grand Canyon and Disneyland in early August. The last time we were at Disneyland was in 2005, when my littlest was only 10 months old, so obviously he doesn't even remember being there.

We just started planning the trip a few days ago and I made reservations at the Grand Californian literally several minutes ago, then came here to find info on Disneyland. Now I'm nervous. I so hope things calm down by August. With my daughter graduating from high school, we were hoping for a big, wonderful family send-off before she goes to college a week after our trip.
    Many visits over 35+ years!
    DVC member since 2004 (SSR)

Stayed at: Bay Lake Tower, Polynesian, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge, Boardwalk, Beach Club, Dolphin, PO Riverside, AS Sports, AS Movies, Saratoga, Vero Beach, Hilton Head, Aulani, Disneyland Hotel, and Grand Californian.

Post Thanks / Like

It always makes me sad when I read about a bad trip experience at DLR, especially for a first-timer. Not because I don't believe it, but because I have a special place in my heart for the place and hate to think someone would be left with such a bad impression. It's a much more intimate, personal Disney experience than Disney World, especially right now. To the last poster who is now anxious about a trip there, I hope they get the kinks worked out too. Staying at the Grand Californian should help, I would think; it's a lovely resort and I've only had good experiences there.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

I would think that early August will be better. The Southern CA annual passes are basically blocked out at that time and many locals choose not to visit DLR during the summer. The Grand Californian is a wonderful resort and I would highly recommend it. Hopefully by August all the rides will be up and running and with longer park hours, it should be enjoyable.
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Natalie! My kids are so excited and we had such a nice visit last time. It was busy (week before 4th of July), but it didn't seem like it. That was before the whole California Adventure redo, so I'm really looking forward to seeing the "new" park.

Stayed at: Bay Lake Tower, Polynesian, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge, Boardwalk, Beach Club, Dolphin, PO Riverside, AS Sports, AS Movies, Saratoga, Vero Beach, Hilton Head, Aulani, Disneyland Hotel, and Grand Californian.

Post Thanks / Like

Staying at the Grand Californian you will also being able to take advantage of the Extra Magic Hour in the mornings. Getting into CA Adventure an hour before everyone else is definitely an advantage with the popularity of Cars Land.
    Chris °O°

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 2Epcot View Post
    Staying at the Grand Californian you will also being able to take advantage of the Extra Magic Hour in the mornings. Getting into CA Adventure an hour before everyone else is definitely an advantage with the popularity of Cars Land.
    This was NOT beneficial for us on our trip. We did much better avoiding the EMH park once we saw how crowded they were. It seems more people are in the park for EMH than any other time. It was NOT "magical". It did help with getting RSR fastpasses because they do allow EMH guests access to the FP machines several minutes before the park officially opens, so you get that jump start. DCA was better for EMH tuan DL since the rides that are open at DCA are spread out more so everyone isn't all in the same place at once (Fantasyland at DL).

Overall, I recommend DCA for EMH but NOT DL, and once the hour is up, switch parks.
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    It did help with getting RSR fastpasses because they do allow EMH guests access to the FP machines several minutes before the park officially opens, so you get that jump start.
    Yes, that's what I was mainly thinking. When I know I want to go on RSR we get there when the park opens, and make sure it's not an EMH hour day for DCA. We will get our FastPasses for that, and then World of Color before we do anything else.
    Chris °O°

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 2Epcot View Post
    Yes, that's what I was mainly thinking. When I know I want to go on RSR we get there when the park opens, and make sure it's not an EMH hour day for DCA. We will get our FastPasses for that, and then World of Color before we do anything else.
    I really have to bone up on Disneyland tips! You can get FPs for World of Color??

(Back to the original discussion ....)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aurora View Post
    I really have to bone up on Disneyland tips! You can get FPs for World of Color??

(Back to the original discussion ....)
    You actually have to get a FP or book a dining package to watch the show. A ticket is required for entry to the viewing areas. You cannot watch the show from outside the areas (must keep moving in the walkways). The FP does not "count" so you can get another at the same time.
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like

I would also mention to not bother using the 'special' enterance to CA for resort guests at the Grand Californian in the morning. It's fine later in the day but they have so many people lined up to get through that tiny gate and only two ticket takers. It would be much faster to go to the main gate. Later in the day the line goes down a lot, though.
    Aryn

I am the rebel spy.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NewDVCowner View Post
    I would also mention to not bother using the 'special' enterance to CA for resort guests at the Grand Californian in the morning. It's fine later in the day but they have so many people lined up to get through that tiny gate and only two ticket takers. It would be much faster to go to the main gate. Later in the day the line goes down a lot, though.
    Agree 100%. We waited close to 30 minutes in that line the first day. Never again. However, the next day, at DL EMH, we waited 40 min to get in. Seriously. EMH was just a nightmare for us. Those were the only two days we did it, and after that, we did the opposite park.
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NewDVCowner View Post
    Huh. Well shoot, that's kind of the biggest reason I booked there instead of the Disneyland Hotel. Wonder if I should rethink this.

Post Thanks / Like

Huh. Well shoot, that's kind of the biggest reason I booked there instead of the Disneyland Hotel. Wonder if I should rethink this.
    That in and of itself isn't enough reason to choose the GCH. Guests of all three DL hotels are allowed to use that entrance. However, just for general convenience in getting back to your room, GCH is worth the extra! Our room at the DLH was half a mile from the GCH lobby. That extra walk several times a day really added up to be just a bit too much after a week.
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like

It will still be very convenient, as Natalie mentioned, you will be the closest Disney hotel to the main entrance. Also, Aryn was only talking about first thing in the morning. The rest of the day the line won't be so long for the hotel entrance.
    Chris °O°

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: