Quantcast We're going to Aulani!

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default We're going to Aulani!

So excited - our DVC rental has just been confirmed and we are heading to Aulani in November! Cannot wait.

We had been thinking of doing a relaxing resort holiday with the kids (age 3 and 1). We looked at Aulani but it was just too expensive. A few weeks ago looked into renting DVC points and found that we could get a standard hotel room through DVC for less than 50% of the cost! Yippee. The Jetstar Easter sale sealed the deal we we got return flights for $707pp. Booked the room through DVC rental store. It was super easy and quick and the staff were very helpful.

So here is the plan
    4 nights in Waikiki to do shopping and touristy things

Then

10 nights Aulani to relax by the pool, explore other parts of the island. I know 10 days is a long time, but with little kids we want to take things slow and really make use if the pool.

I realise we'll probably have to rent a car for the Aulani part of the trip, particularly if we what to explore other things. And eating there for 10 nights will get $$$. From what I have read the food isn't that great. Car rentals seem reasonable, but neither my wife or I have ever driven in the US, so we are a bit anxious about staying on the right side of the road.

Does anyone have any tips or suggestions for Aulani or Hawaii in general?

I haven't booked a hotel in Waikiki yet. Currently looking at Outrigger Reef, Outrigger Waikiki or Holiday Inn. Does anyone have any suggestions or feedback on Waikiki hotels?
    Michael șoș

• Oct '12 Port Orleans Riverside
    • Aug '11 Disneyland (D23 Expo) / WDW Pop Century
    • Apr '10 Pop Century
    • Sept '09 Disneyland (D23 Expo)
    • Oct '08 Pop Century
    • March 2007 - Pop Century
    • Nov 2003 - All Star Movies - Honeymoon
    • Nov 2001 - All Star Movies
    • Nov 2000 - Off Site

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I like the Hilton Hawaiian Village hotel and the Pacific Beach hotel. The Hilton is near the entrance to Waikiki and easy to get around. It id also beachfront. Pacific Beach is a little over a block from the beach. There are a few Outrigger hotels. One is beachfront, the others are more inland. Either way, you can't go wrong.
    Marci

Many visits. Live 20 minutes from the parks.
    Work at Universal Studios in Diagon Alley. Ollivanders/ wand magic.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow! What a fabulous trip you have planned.

As you mentioned you will need a car for your Aulani time. You do not necessarily need a car while in Waikiki, but I still recommend it as Oahu is much better explored outside of Waikiki. The North shore has so much to explore. If you're not aware all beaches are public even if it seems they are part of resort properties. You just need to find the small path and parking lots to enter.

The Hilton as mentioned by another poster is highly recommended. Shopping, dining, pools, beach...walk everywhere. There is also a hotel named the Ilikai right next door that may have better pricing with all the same convenience. They even have kitchenettes that could save you dollars on food with the two littles. You're going to pay a lot for food no matter what.

One very important note on car rentals in Hawaii. Do not rent from the major carriers directly. Instead use a third part such as hawaii discount car rentals and you'll still be renting from the major companies but the pricing will be much less expensive. Trust me on this!

Hope that helps!

Post Thanks / Like

You will love Aulani!! So relaxing!!

In Waikiki, it will depend on what you want. If you want to stay beachfront in the heart of Waikiki, the hotels can be quite expensive though you can occasionally get deals.

You can also look into renting a condo for the time you are there.

Be aware that there is a difference between Ocean Front (you are right on the ocean) and Ocean View (where you have some sort of view of the ocean).

You will definitely need a car while at Aulani. Be aware that the rush hour traffic leaving the Waikiki area towards Aulani and heading towards Waikiki in the morning can be quite difficult.
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: