Quantcast Rental Car Deals

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Rental Car Deals

Any tips on getting discounts on a rental car? We haven't needed one for more than 10 years and I am blown away by the cost.
    "If you can dream it, you can do it."

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Check into any discounts you may get through a warehouse club membership (Costco, BJs, etc.) that's where I found the best deal last year. And typically as you get closer to your trip, the rate will be lower.
    CBR - February 1992
    CBR - April 1993
    AS Music - February 1994
    AS Movies - February 2000
    Contemporary/DCL - April/May 2001
    AS Movies - January 2003
    CBR/DCL - September 2005
    Pop Century - May 2007
    Art of Animation - May 2013
    AS Movies - September 2013
    Pop Century - April/May 2015

Post Thanks / Like

I usually can find the best rates on Costco too but you need to keep checking. I also signed up for a few of the car rental websites and have gotten some great rates through the Alamo Insiders Club. Car rentals are all over the place recently but do seem to come down closer to travel.
    - Lynn -
    INTERCOT Staff: Theme Parks, DVC

Post Thanks / Like

We actually found the best deal for our upcoming trip to be through AAA.... But, we've also used deals through Costco as well... Definitely keep checking back though.... the prices are very fluid! Good luck!!
    April
    Up Next: April 19-26th 40th Birthday
    Past trips:
    Dec./Jan.2001/2002 OP (engaged @ Castle!)
    Oct. 03 YC (6mos pregnant)
    May. 05 BC (DD 1st trip)
    April/May 06 DL (1st trip
    Oct. 07 BWI (DD2 1st trip)
    Oct. 08 WL (Grand Gathering)
    Dec. 09 Timeshare
    2011, 2013 POFQ
    Mar/Apr 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Make a reservation now and keep checking for better deals. We did this for our trip at the end of October of 2012, just like we did in 2011.

10 days prior to leaving in 2011, we were able to rent a Jeep Liberty for $121 ($206 with all fees, taxes) unlimited mileage two drivers 7 days with Budget.

Prior to that we held a reservations for $275 with Dollar for a mid-size car.

In 2012 we had the same issue. A few weeks before our trip the same deal as 2011. This time 8 days, SUV with unlimited mileage. All in (fees, taxes, etc) $204.

The closer you get to your trip the better your chance for a deal.
    5/21 SSR & BCV
    11/19 Copper Creek Villas
    5/17 - Boardwalk Villas & Swan
    10/14 Legacy Villas
    10/11 & 12 Coronado Springs
    1981 - 2010 Offsite
    1974,76,78 Fort Wilderness
    8/87 - 05 Disneyland

Post Thanks / Like

As has already been mentioned, prices fluctuate constantly, with the best chance of a good discount coming within a couple of weeks of your trip. This isn't a sure thing depending on the time of the year which affects demand, but it is fairly consistent.

Tip #1: On mondays or tuesdays, Alamo publishes "last minute" specials that are good through the upcoming weekend. You may be able to snag a serious deal here.

Tip #2: Consider renting your car somewhere other than at the airport. Enterprise has a desk at the Royal Plaza (hotel drive near DTD), and will pick you up from your hotel and take you back. Renting from this location is usually quite a bit cheaper than renting from them at the airport. I've had 2 very positive experiences doing this. If you're staying on property, use DME to get to/from the airport and rent the car for the in-between time. Depending on how long you're staying and the timing of your flights, doing this may save you a day or two off the rental as well.

Tip #3: pay attention to the small print. Some companies will publish a low rate and then hit you with additional fees or badger you to take their optional insurance. Alamo, National, and Enterprise (all owned by the same parent company) rarely do this. Budget, Thrifty, Dollar tend to be way more aggressive in this regard.

Tip #4: This may not apply, but if you plan on having more than one driver of the vehicle, your spouse for instance, this will normally cost you an additional $10/day. The coupon codes from Costco (there may be others as well) include a second driver for free. So if that's an important item, Costco can save you some more money on top of their normal rates.

Steve
    First visit: Disneyland, July 17, 1955 (well, somebody had to be there on opening day!)

Most Recent Visit:
    Disneyland - June 21-25, 2017
    WDW - Sep 22 - Oct 5, 2019
    Next up: WDW - May 9 - 16, 2020 at Riviera!
    Dec 5 - 16, 2020 at Poly

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrte62 View Post
    Make a reservation now and keep checking for better deals. We did this for our trip at the end of October of 2012, just like we did in 2011.

10 days prior to leaving in 2011, we were able to rent a Jeep Liberty for $121 ($206 with all fees, taxes) unlimited mileage two drivers 7 days with Budget.

Prior to that we held a reservations for $275 with Dollar for a mid-size car.

In 2012 we had the same issue. A few weeks before our trip the same deal as 2011. This time 8 days, SUV with unlimited mileage. All in (fees, taxes, etc) $204.

This mirrors my experiences last year. My original deal booked 2 months out was cut literally IN HALF the week previous.
    CBR - February 1992
    CBR - April 1993
    AS Music - February 1994
    AS Movies - January 2003
    CBR/DCL - September 2005
    Pop Century - May 2007

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fangorn View Post
    Tip #3: pay attention to the small print. Some companies will publish a low rate and then hit you with additional fees or badger you to take their optional insurance. Alamo, National, and Enterprise (all owned by the same parent company) rarely do this. Budget, Thrifty, Dollar tend to be way more aggressive in this regard.
    This is why I will never use Budget again, even if it means paying a bit more at Alamo or National. They badgered us to no end regarding optional insurance and gave us misinformation about the toll transponder in the rental car. Used Alamo on my last trip and the pickup process at the airport was a breeze--definitely started the vacation off on the right foot.

I understand that they are trying to upsell you and make more money off your rental, but once you firmly and politely say no they need to let it go.

I agree with others who have suggested booking early and then to keep checking. We found the lowest price just a week before my last trip.
    DVC Member
    Boston, MA and Celebration, FL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyFan1979 View Post
    This is why I will never use Budget again, even if it means paying a bit more at Alamo or National. They badgered us to no end regarding optional insurance and gave us misinformation about the toll transponder in the rental car. Used Alamo on my last trip and the pickup process at the airport was a breeze--definitely started the vacation off on the right foot.

I understand that they are trying to upsell you and make more money off your rental, but once you firmly and politely say no they need to let it go.

I agree with others who have suggested booking early and then to keep checking. We found the lowest price just a week before my last trip.
    True although when we rented in feb we had a VERY PUSHY guy who made my husband and I feel uncomfortable even going so far as to say "so you mean to tell me you are totally fine taking a full sized car without insurance?" So annoying that I complained about him. He tried to upsell us on EVERYTHING including the car type. This was through thrifty. We had to just keep saying no no and no.
    I did get a good deal through Hotwire though.

138 days until Turks & Caicos!!! :Minnie:
    Lindsey
    1991-2005: every year!
    Aug 05/06: OKW
    March, May, & Oct 07: SS
    Nov 08: SS
    Aug 09: SS
    Sept '11: AKL
    Dec '11: BW
    Mar '12: SS, WL, DCL Dream!
    Aug '12: Pop
    Oct '13: OKW
    Feb '14: AKL
    Dec '14: AKL
    Feb 15: Beach Club
    Feb 16: BWV
    Oct 16: Aulani
    Feb 17: BWV

Post Thanks / Like

Another little hint I picked up quite by accident. If you rent from Alamo and p/u at the airport and return to Disney (then take ME back to the airport) you can save quite a bit of money over p/u and return to the airport. For me the difference was about $70 on a four day rental last March.
    - Lynn -
    INTERCOT Staff: Theme Parks, DVC

Post Thanks / Like

Two points... check your bank... some institutions (I have usaa) have greatly discounted rental cars.... also ... if you have an AMEX card.. use it to book your car. It has automatic insurance that covers what your insurance doesn't.

Ran into a big hail storm one trip .. didn't get the $30.00 a day insurance from the car company but Amex paid the $200.00 damage without me having to use my insurance (had a $500 deductible so it would have been OOP)

If it was over $500 my insurance would have had to kick in but in this case it was easy Either way I would have saved the first $500.00.

One phone call to AMEX claims and it was all set up...

Just an FYI
    Honeymoon, 89
    Poly 2002
    CR 2003
    Shades of Green May 2007
    GF June 2014 (25th Anniversary)

Post Thanks / Like

We are going the first week in May. I got a good deal with Alamo through Costco. We are picking up at airport, but returning at the Dolphin (we didn't need the car the entire trip).
    Angela
    Next Trip--40th Birthday at Contemporary--September

Post Thanks / Like

It is amazing how car rental rates have gone up the past few years! With several major companies merging and downsizing their fleets, car rental prices for a week have become in many instances as much as the cost of an airline ticket. Seriously!

I've always been loyal to National - I belong to their Emerald Aisle program - and in many instances rates have gone down closer to the actual trip. However, they have too become quite cost-prohibitive.

My boss recently brought up that Costco has some wonderful rates on car rental rates for Orlando, so hopefully you are a member and can check it out!
    Carol (aka KylesMom)
    INTERCOT Staff: Mousellaneous & Trip Reports
    Last Trip: ICOT 15
    Happy A/P Holder 2002 - 2011

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyFan1979 View Post

Sorry--Had to bump your post. So when you find this lower price, are you able to change your reservation to the new lower price?
    2016 May AULANI, 2015, Oct F&W Poly
    2015 May SSR, 2014 BCV 2013 Oct-F&WF POR,2013 May-BLT,
    2012 AKL-Kidani/SSR,2011 BLT/OKW,2010 POR,2009 POR,
    2008 CBR,2005 POR/AKL,2003 CBR,2001 POR/AKL,2000 OffSite

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry--Had to bump your post. So when you find this lower price, are you able to change your reservation to the new lower price?
    Yes - although I've always had to book the new rental first, then cancel the original reservation.
    Carol (aka KylesMom)
    INTERCOT Staff: Mousellaneous & Trip Reports
    Last Trip: ICOT 15
    Happy A/P Holder 2002 - 2011

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KylesMom View Post
    Yes - although I've always had to book the new rental first, then cancel the original reservation.
    Same here but a very easy process. No cancel fees involving Costco reservations, but you have to check the fine print on these things, I'm not familiar with other agencies.
    CBR - February 1992
    CBR - April 1993
    AS Music - February 1994
    AS Movies - January 2003
    CBR/DCL - September 2005
    Pop Century - May 2007

Post Thanks / Like

I've gotten a lot of great deals with Dollar using the promotional code [promotional code removed per terms of service]. Have never payed more than $140 for the week during the value season.
    Last edited by faline; 09-24-2014 at 07:28 AM. Reason: Terms of service

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrte62 View Post

Just happened again for us. Our trip starts a week from this Friday with a 4 day midsize rental followed by a week mini van rental. Had booked the original rentals four months ago. Changed companies tonight and saved just about $100.
    5/21 SSR & BCV
    11/19 Copper Creek Villas
    5/17 - Boardwalk Villas & Swan
    10/14 Legacy Villas
    10/11 & 12 Coronado Springs
    1981 - 2010 Offsite
    1974,76,78 Fort Wilderness
    8/87 - 05 Disneyland

Post Thanks / Like

Just another thing to try. I have had good luck getting a good rental price twice this year through the Southwest website. You do not need to purchase airline tickets to use this, but if you are a Southwest Rewards member you get points for the car rental. Just remember to enter your number!
    Sainter
    Oct97 AS Sports/Trop Palms
    Oct00 AS Sports/4 Pts Sheraton
    Oct01 Condo Nov02 POR/Calypso Cay
    Oct 03 POR Nov04 Pop
    Oct05, Mar07, June08 POR
    Mar09 AS Sports, Sept09 POR
    Mar11 Pop/CSR, Jan12 AS Sports
    Oct12 POR/CB, Oct14 OKW
    Sep15POFQ, Oct16 Pop/POR
    Sep17 AKL

Post Thanks / Like

We rented a car in August through Dollar for $114 for 8 days. Best thing to do is google [name of car rental agency] discount codes. As others have said, the closer to the trip the rate goes ways down. I would say 5 days out but always keep checking.

Also, one thing to be aware of. When we rented from Dollar, I chose the lock and go rate (which was a compact through mid-size car). Will never do this again and will just choose the intermediate (which is all we need). When I went to get the car, they told me to chose one in row 2. Well, it looked like one of those small clown cars. Went back to the counter and said it was too small. The agent told me she had over 2,000 reservations so she couldn't change what they assigned me. I looked at her and said....really 2,000 reservations? YOU DON'T HAVE 2,000 CARS IN YOUR LOT. Asked for manager and was given the intermediate.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: