Quantcast The Oscars

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Oscars

Post Thanks / Like

Default The Oscars

Well, I won't spoil it for those who didn't see the show, but I was pleased with the winners.

I do wish I could ask John Travolta what he said when he introduced Idina Menzel.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Middle of the Map View Post
    I do wish I could ask John Travolta what he said when he introduced Idina Menzel.

Adele Dazim.

Seriously, that was horrible. I get that it's live and these folks are mostly used to multiple takes, but he seriously embarrassed himself. He impresses me less and less as the years go on.

Post Thanks / Like

John Travolta's intro was shameful. Obviously he did not bother to do a little preparation in advance. Idina's performance was not her best but I still loved it. She looked very nervous which undoubtedly affected her singing. So glad that Let It Go won!

The Oscar winners were kind of predictable but the show was still enjoyable. Ellen was a hoot.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

John Travolta is a travesty to humanity. I loathe the man. All he did was announce her performance. It's not like he didn't know he was doing that ahead of time. The least he could have done was get the name right.

I think it was messed up that they cut the song short. Didn't all the other performers sing full versions of the nominated songs?
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MNNHFLTX View Post
    John Travolta's intro was shameful. Obviously he did not bother to do a little preparation in advance. Idina's performance was not her best but I still loved it. She looked very nervous which undoubtedly affected her singing. So glad that Let It Go
    I thought the set was beautiful and I LOVED her dress, but I thought she looked so nervous and the her singing was hard for her to get through. Surprised the reviews said she nailed it. I really enjoyed the song Happy - such fun and the dancers were good.

Wish I would have just watched it from the DVR- on way too late and a lot of the show was boring.
    We'll Go On....Off To Neverland

Wishes!

It's A Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow....Where Dreams Really Do Come True

Never Forget It was All Started By A Mouse....TTFN

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, the Happy performance was very...happy!

I was actually shocked Let it Go won over the U2 song.

So, Gravity, Dallas Buyer's Club, 12 Years a Slave and of course, Frozen, were the big winners. I've seen Frozen, but the only other one I have a desire to see is 12 Years a Slave.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
    I was actually shocked Let it Go won over the U2 song.
    Me too ... and disappointed. There was no comparing the two IMHO (Please don't flame me ... please!!)

I desperately want to see HER ... and was so glad that Spike Jonze won for his screenplay. He's so very fabulous!

We were fortunate to be able to see all of the Animated Shorts nominated in a single viewing at the TIFF home theatre on the weekend. While we all really really really enjoyed "Get A Horse!" (fabulous chronology of animation), 5 of the 6 of us who went chose "Mr. Hubolt" as our favourite nominee, and were very happy to see that it won the category. I fully recommend seeing it to anybody who gets the chance.
    Jennifer (aka Mickey'sGirl)
    INTERCOT Staff: Guests with Special Needs, Dining and Disney Characters

Last trip: March 2016 - Fantasy
    Next trip: Aug 2017 - Aulani

I am a Galactic Hero once more!

Post Thanks / Like

I think it was Natalie and I who saw the Her preview when we went to see Saving Mr. Banks. I remember thinking...what IS this? But Joaquin Phoenix is always pretty amazing, and it looks interesting enough that I'd watch at home. It got fairly good reviews.

And I'm not a U2 fan, ever, at all. So yeah, very happy Let It Go won. But it's no secret I've been a bit obsessed with Let It Go.

Post Thanks / Like

Her was depressing to me. It kind of effected me like Soylent Green did many years ago. Wonder about future....... I worry about kids and relationships with computers, cell phones, etc. In retail so many customers don't even talk to the cashiers, too busy on cell phones. Sometimes I have had customers talking on a Bluetooth and I thought they were talking to me. Then they look at you like "how rude" you are to interrupt their phone conversation. Kids text each other while sitting across the table from each other. Her looks like the future that is arriving way too fast. But I guess that is what good films do- make you think.

Wishes!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mickey'sGirl View Post

We were fortunate to be able to see all of the Animated Shorts nominated in a single viewing at the TIFF home theatre on the weekend. While we all really really really enjoyed "Get A Horse!" (fabulous chronology of animation), 5 of the 6 of us who went chose "Mr. Hubolt" as our favourite nominee, and were very happy to see that it won the category. I fully recommend seeing it to anybody who gets the chance.
    Lucky you! I would love to see all the shorts!

Wishes!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mickey'sGirl View Post
    Me too ... and disappointed. There was no comparing the two IMHO (Please don't flame me ... please!!)
    No flaming here--it's always interesting to hear other viewpoints. As for me, I like Bono but really did not care for Ordinary Love. It sounded like a typical U2 song and did not touch my heart the way that Let It Go did. I do wonder if they cut Let It Go short because they were running long on time. It also seemed like the they rushed the beginning; the tempo was too fast. Ah well, all speculation on my part. If that was the case, I would have much rather they cut short coverage of the pizza fest, even though that was cute.

I am not a big theater-goer, but have seen Frozen and look forward to watching Gravity and 12 Years a Slave when it comes out on DVD or download. I have absolutely no desire to see American Hustle and even less to see The Wolf of Wall Street (not a Leo DiCaprio fan). I think I would like The Dallas Buyers Club, but find it painful to see Matthew McConaughey so thin in all the scenes. I understand he did it for the role, but I can't help but wonder how it ravaged his body. He still did not look back to normal health to me last night--his face was still so thin.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--

Post Thanks / Like

I am a U2 fan, but I also preferred "Let it Go" for the same reason as Beth. "Ordinary Love" is a fine song, but "Let it Go" is a beautiful song that really makes me feel emotions.
    Idina was obviously nervous and not in sync with the music. There were times when the music was ahead and times when she jumped ahead, and in the close ups she was shaking. I still think she did a good job- we all know how very talented she is, but she's said many times that this is an incredibly difficult song to sing live. And John Travolta, come on man. I had to laugh when I saw people trying to defend him, saying he called her "The Adele of Disney" (really?) or "Elphaba" (Not even close)! She is not a no-name person, Travolta shouldn't need to read a teleprompter to know who she is and how to pronounce her name!

The only nominee we saw this year was American Hustle. DH and I really enjoyed it. One of these years, I'll actually try to get around to seeing all the nominees before the Oscars. We fill out a ballot for fun every year even though we are flying blind. I have to give DH credit- he smoked me, 14-4!!!
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

All I will say is I am SO happy Gravity didn't win Best Picture. That movie is so overhyped it's not even funny. I am still angry that we spent money to see it in the theater.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PirateLover View Post
    I am a U2 fan, but I also preferred "Let it Go" for the same reason as Beth. "Ordinary Love" is a fine song, but "Let it Go" is a beautiful song that really makes me feel emotions.
    Actually, to tell the truth, the inner-indie in me was really pulling for The Moon Song -- I love me some Yeah Yeah Yeahs and Vampire Weekend.

I just can't get into the Frozen thing, though I am truly trying!!! My youngest son has finally agreed to go see it with me on the weekend, so maybe my head shaking will stop afterwards!!

Nat, I have less than no desire to see Gravity, though our own RockStar astronaut Chris Hadfield recommends seeing it for the spectacular visuals. We'll see if it shows up on Netflix at some point.
    Jennifer (aka Mickey'sGirl)
    INTERCOT Staff: Guests with Special Needs, Dining and Disney Characters

Last trip: March 2016 - Fantasy
    Next trip: Aug 2017 - Aulani

I am a Galactic Hero once more!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    All I will say is I am SO happy Gravity didn't win Best Picture. That movie is so overhyped it's not even funny. I am still angry that we spent money to see it in the theater.
    I agree not funny or interesting. When it was over I was "what did I just watch? And why?" I don't get the appeal at all.

I agree the song was nice, but she did look very nervous. She didn't sound as powerful as she usually does.
    Mar'14 DCL..Nov '13 POP..Jan '13 CBR..Mar'12 Swan/Dolphin..Nov '11 Universal/legoland, one night @ WDW..Oct '10 POP..April '09 Swan/Dolphin..Jan '09 AKL..Apr'08 offsite..Jan/Feb '08 offsite..Dec '08 HiltonHeadResort..Oct '07 Pop.. July '07 VB..May '07 DCL.Oct '06 FtWcabins.May '06 POP.Jan '06 POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

This is the first year ever that I saw all the Oscar noms before the awards. I spent a LOT of money one weekend in various theaters LOL I have to saw that I loved American Hustle and really wanted it to take everything, but I feel that ultimately everything that won was just more award-worthy. I also felt that this year's Oscars were absolutely predictable. Every award was right, I think, but it went exactly how I thought it would.

I loved The Moon Song, although (it didn't stand a chance against Let It Go). And someone else said they didn't want to see Wolf of Wall St.--I have to say that was the LAST of the movies I saw--I DESPISE Leo DC as much as my brother worships him, and I'm not too fond of Jonah Hill, either--but I actually ended up really enjoying it, and both of their performances. Who knew?
    Christi

2014: May--POR & US/IOA; Nov--POR (1st rD--JJ5k!)
    2013: May--POR
    2012: Jun--POP; Aug--POP/Hard Rock
    2011: Aug/Sept--US/IOA; Nov--POFQ
    2010: Dec--CSR
    2009: Sept--Poly GVCL
    2008: Sept--POFQ
    2007: Jan/Feb--POR; Sept: POFQ
    2004: Oct--CSR
    1987: off-site

Post Thanks / Like

I wanted to see Wolf, but then I read that it was pretty...risqué shall we say which made me more hesitant.

Guys, I have a serious problem. Every time I hear or see anything that has to do with the John Travolta/Adele Dazeem flub I'm reduced into a fit of giggles!! Help!
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PirateLover View Post
    Guys, I have a serious problem. Every time I hear or see anything that has to do with the John Travolta/Adele Dazeem flub I'm reduced into a fit of giggles!! Help!
    I know! They keep replaying the intro and it just gets more ridiculous every time I hear it.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny1113 View Post
    I agree the song was nice, but she did look very nervous. She didn't sound as powerful as she usually does.
    It appeared that the orchestra overpowered her voice a couple of times, or maybe that's just the way I heard it.

Didn't care for the warble ending.

Post Thanks / Like

This past year was the least amount of films I've seen I think in my adult life. I only saw one nominated Oscar film "Gravity", which is also the least amount of nominated films I've ever seen. I guess I was too busy this year, and didn't get to too many films.

As far as Travolta, I guess it is obvious he skipped the rehersal.
    Chris °O°
    DISNEYLAND AP - First visit 1969

WALT DISNEY WORLD - First visit 1985
    HONG KONG DISNEYLAND - First visit 2005
    SHANGHAI DISNEYLAND - First visit 2016
    DISNEY DREAM CRUISE - First Cruise March 2019
    FUTURE + WORLD SHOWCASE = EPCOT (Favorite WDW park)

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: