Quantcast wilderness lodge

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default wilderness lodge

Hi. Was wondering if anyone has stayed at WL and what you thought of it. I have stayed in the epcot area hotels way too many times and am open to a change. I used to love walking into epcot, but with a toddler now I think I will be in the MK a lot more. Thanks for any information!
    Howard Johnsons 1982,Guest Quarters 1989,Guest Quarters 1990,YC 1995,BC 1997, BC 1999, BC 2002, BC 2005 May, Sept., BC 2006 Oct, BC 2007 May, BWI 2008 May, YC 2009 April, YC 2010 December Honeymoon, YC 2016 April, BCV 2017 January, BC 2018 May, BC CL 2019 March

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

You'll find this resort is a favorite of many on this board. I've stayed at this resort a number of times and it is, in fact, my husband's favorite Disney resort. It's just a short boat ride from the Magic Kingdom. You'll use busses to all other locations.

It looks very rustic and woodsy but is quite charming and appealing. I think you will find this a very good choice!
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

We LOVE the WL and this is now where we stay (can't afford to stay at my favorite Poly any longer). This is not a huge resort so I like the quaintness of it and the lobby is awesome. You can search for a video!! With a toddler, you will love the boat to/from MK and if needed, you can be back to your room in no time. The rooms aren't huge but big enough. You will love it!

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you!
    Howard Johnsons 1982,Guest Quarters 1989,Guest Quarters 1990,YC 1995,BC 1997, BC 1999, BC 2002, BC 2005 May, Sept., BC 2006 Oct, BC 2007 May, BWI 2008 May, YC 2009 April, YC 2010 December Honeymoon, YC 2016 April, BCV 2017 January, BC 2018 May, BC CL 2019 March

Post Thanks / Like

We were there last weekend. Like you we tend to be Epcot resort people but I have always loved Wilderness Lodge.

I think it is one of the prettiest resorts around. I especially love the waterfall and the river that winds from the lobby to the pool and beyond. The lobby is beautiful and has many nook to explore especially on the higher floors where you will find little sitting areas with fireplaces.

The resort is fairly compact though some of the rooms can be quite a trip down the halls. The rooms are smaller than the Epcot deluxes but not tiny. We had a courtyard room with bunk beds. My kids loved it though I felt the size of the bunk bed made the room feel smaller.

There is a great kid's club and on Saturdays kids can decorate cookies at the quick serve.

Foodwise, the quick serve - Roaring Fork is small but has a good variety and unlike the Epcot resorts hot breakfast is easy to find and includes Mickey waffles much to my children's delight. There is also the Whispering Canyon Cafe and Artist's Point (signature restaurant). The gift shop is a good size and has a decent assortment of food.

I love the boat to MK though I suppose some might find that a negative. I think it is a much more enjoyable way to get to the park. We saw a family of otters playing by the shore while we waiting.

On the negative side, there is the smaller rooms. Also because the Whispering Canyon Cafe is open to the lobby, the lobby does tend to get very busy and crowded while it is open.

I think you would really enjoy it.
    Cindy aka AgentC
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations, Dining, Movies, TV, Music & Musicals

Post Thanks / Like

Our favorite resort! Since you're traveling with a toddler be sure to check out the playground, the marshmallow roast and movie at the beach, and the Cub's Den recreation schedule. The beach area can also keep a toddler busy in the sand.

If your child will be going to sleep early you can bring a battery operated candle with you and relax with a bite to eat or your favorite beverage on the balcony.

I had the change to stay last March right after the refurb and posted some photos of the room.
    - Lynn -
    INTERCOT Staff: Theme Parks, DVC

Post Thanks / Like

We LOVE this resort. Beautiful and Impressive are two words that come to mind. The fireplace rock work mirrors the striata of the Grand Canyon. The geyser eruptions. The water Imagineering, where a bubbling spring in the lobby flows out and becomes the pool. (Three separate systems.)

Great signature resturant (Artist Point). Great fun restaurant (Whispering Canyon Cafe).

And my favorite: the boat ride in the brisk, early morning hours from The Wilderness Lodge to the Magic Kingdom. You will travel over one of only a handful of water bridges in the world. (Walt Disney World has two.)
    WDW - 99 Off Site
    WDW - 00 C.Springs, Wilderness
    WDW - 01 POFQ, Boardwalk
    WDW - 02 C.Beach, POFQ, AK Lodge
    WDW - 04 Riverside
    WDW - 05 C.Springs
    WDW - 07 Riverside
    WDW - 11 C.Beach
    WDW - 12 POFQ
    WDW - 14 Riverside
    WDW - 15 POFQ
    WDW - 19 Wilderness
    WDW - 20 C.Beach

Post Thanks / Like

Default You will love it.

Many moons ago we stayed there when my niece was a toddler. We had a ground floor room that had a patio overlooking a small pond. It was a lovely place! Food was very good! You won't be dissappointed
    Upcoming:
    Jan/Feb 2018

Animal Kingdom Lodge - 2017

Cypress Palms - 2014

Port Orleans - French Quarter - 2006
    Bonnet Creek Resort - 2004, 2009, 2010, 2012, 2016

Paradise Pier (Disneyland) - 2003
    Coronado Springs - 2001

Wilderness Lodge - 2000

Dixie Landings (now Port Orleans - Riverside) - 1999

Post Thanks / Like

Its our faourite place to be, lovely staff excellent service and just a quick boat trip to MK. The buses to other parks are great too. back again in 183 days
    Lifes a witch and then you fly

Post Thanks / Like

My favorite resort - if you can't tell.
    Especially if you have children.
    It helps if you love the Yellowstone / Western environment and the outdoors, but I think anyone would enjoy their stay.
    I would recommend that you at least reserve a wood view and if budgets allow a courtyard view to ensure that your first stay is not overlooking a parking lot or some other less desirable area of the resort.
    Feb 2020 - FWC
    Jul 2019 - Poly
    2018 - WL - CL
    2017 - FWC
    2016 - WL

2012 - WL - CL
    2010 - WL
    2009 - WL
    2007 - WL
    2003 - WL
    2001 - FWC
    1974, 77, 83 & 1995 - Off site

Post Thanks / Like

Favorite resort on property!

We love the epcot resorts too, but WL remains our favorite. One great thing to keep in mind is that you will save a lot of money staying at WL instead of one of the Epcot resorts. That's extra spending money for special meals, treats, experiences or souvenirs! Have a great trip!
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Next Trip: ???

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mydisneygirls View Post
    We LOVE the WL and this is now where we stay (can't afford to stay at my favorite Poly any longer).
    Re: POLY, I hear ya! Re: WL, we just stayed there after being away from there for a few trips and yup, it's still one of our faves!! you will enjoy it no doubt....
    March 99 - POFQ
    Feb 04 - WL
    Feb 05 - POLY
    Nov 05 - CB
    Oct 06 - POLY
    Nov 07 - POLY/BC
    Nov 08 - BC
    Mar 10 - WL
    Nov 10 - POR-Riverside
    Apr 12 - POR-Riverside
    Mar 13 - POR
    Jan 14 - WL
    Nov 14 - POR-Riverside
    Mar 16 - POLY
    Aug 17 - POLY
    Aug 18 - BC

Post Thanks / Like

thank you all so much for the information and encouragement! I really want to try something different. I ate at the artists point during my last stay and the whole hotel is beautiful. My only hesitation now when thinking about it is at the end of the evening when my son may/or may not be sleeping in the stroller, would there be more for us to do around the boardwalk and would it be easier to end the night just pushing him back to the hotel in a stroller vs having to collapse and carry on the bus for instance... we'll see I'm still torn Thank you all

Post Thanks / Like

It's a great resort. The lobby is breathtaking. We've stayed at the resort twice as well as the villas twice.

Since you have a young one, consider taking a short boat ride to Fort Wilderness for a pony ride. The same boat makes a stop at the Contemporary as well. I'm sure your little one would love a meal at Chef Mickey's and the Fab Five.
    First Trip ¨¨*:•
    Fort Wilderness Resort and Campground - June, 1974

Last Trip ¨¨*:•
    Port Orleans/Saratoga Springs - March, 2017

Next Trip ¨¨*:•
    Bay Lake Tower - March, 2018

And about 40 more in between....

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=biggins;2403240} My only hesitation now when thinking about it is at the end of the evening when my son may/or may not be sleeping in the stroller, would there be more for us to do around the boardwalk and would it be easier to end the night just pushing him back to the hotel in a stroller vs having to collapse and carry on the bus for instance... we'll see I'm still torn Thank you all[/QUOTE]

If you'll be spending a lot of time at MK then you could just roll the stroller on the boat to WL. If you think you'll spend more time at Epcot then you could roll him home from there. It's pretty much split.
    - Lynn -
    INTERCOT Staff: Theme Parks, DVC

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by biggins View Post
    would it be easier to end the night just pushing him back to the hotel in a stroller vs having to collapse and carry on the bus for instance... we'll see I'm still torn Thank you all
    Well you'll still have to do that when leaving MK and AK by bus if you stay at the Epcot area. There is no way of getting around it for an entire trip. And if you plan to spend more time in MK since you have the little one in tow you'll have to collapse that stroller every night that you visit MK. I wouldn't let that stop you from trying WL. If this is a huge concern of yours, and you do indeed plan to spend a lot of time in MK, you might want to look into one of the monorail resorts.
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Next Trip: ???

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks all. Buzznwoodysmom you have a really good point and I didn't think about it., I will have to do that either way. Was thinking if doing mk in the day and epcot at nights but I might very well be taking him back sleeping at nap time during the day so same thing.

Post Thanks / Like

The Wilderness is in my top 3 favorite resorts at WDW. I love the theme and layout of the resort. I also love the boat ride to the MK, which makes for a very relaxing end to the night when heading back to the resort.
    Caribbean Beach Resort (several times)
    Wilderness Lodge-twice
    Polynesian
    Contemporary
    Dixie Landings
    Coronado Springs
    Yacht Club
    Beach Club
    Pop Century

"You're dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway." ~~Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

This is our favorite resort too!!! We took DS with us on our last trip and he was almost 18 months at the time, and just had a blast there. He loved riding on the boats that take you to MK. He loved the the bubbling brook in the lobby and seeing the geyser erupt. As someone else mentioned they have a great beach to play on, with a nice playset that he had a lot of fun with. You're also able to see the water pageant on Bay Lake which really drew his attention.

If your LO does fall asleep early what we did was have DH run and get us a yummy beverage and a dessert or appetizer type item and just sit on our balcony and enjoy them while watching all the action by the pool. Our favorite view is a courtyard view for that very reason! I can't recommend this resort enough!
    Kristina
    "A dream can be a dream come true, with just that spark in me and you" - Figment & Dreamfinder

Oct 2017 WL
    Oct 2014 WL
    May 2013 WL (DS 1st Trip) - Club Level
    Sep 2010 WL
    May 09 WL
    Oct 08 Poly
    Jun 07 WL (Disneymoon)
    Jul 04 WL
    Apr 2000 GF
    1982-1999 Offsite

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: