Quantcast Universal Questions

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Universal Questions

My wife is pushing for Universal trip instead of Disney for a change. I have like 10 copies of various Birnbaum Disney books and get the planning DVD almost every year. I can't seem to find anything like that for Universal.

My youngest will still only be 6 at time of trip. Does that limit a lot of what we can do? I see what looks to be a good deal on a 3 days for price of 2 ticket. Do we need 3 full days at the 2 Universal Parks or are we going to be walking around looking at ambiance and stores a lot because the kids can't ride anything?

I've heard that many of the Universal Rides are coasters and themed more for older kids. I know they have cat in the hat and woody woodpecker, etc.

I'm assuming that the extra fee (fast pass) ticket is essentially a requirement for my clan, so I'm planning on it.

We are RVers so we are probably still going to stay at Fort Wilderness since it is awesome.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you!

Edit: Also are there any must-do reservations that need to be looked at? I read about a Harry Potter restaurant that is walk in - but not seen much else yet.
    Offsite 8/1998 - CB 9/2001- AS Movies 9/2002 - AS Music 5/2004 - AS Sports 9/2006 - Pop 5/2007 - AKL 7/2009 - POR 3/2011 - POR 11/2011- FW Campground 10/2013 - UO LRP Spring 2015 - FW Campground 10/2015

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

We are going to Universal this summer for the first time and bypassing Disney (for the most part) until the whole Fast pass + system is settled. We have older kids (23 and 14) so part of the allure of Universal is the higher level rides they are excited about. You can get a lot of information on what types of rides are at each part at their website (just google Universal Orlando) and this can give you some sort of game plan on what your 6 year old might enjoy. It "does" seem to me that Universal is geared towards older kids and adults but that doesn't mean you won't be able to do and see a lot of neat shows as well. Of course, the Harry Potter area will probably take a lot of time to go through as well since that seems to be a huge attraction for ANY age. We made reservations at Mythos restaurant at Islands of Adventure but that's really the only thing we have made reservations for at this point. We are there Sat-Thursday with a 3 day pass. Figured we would spend one whole day at each park (Sunday/Monday) and Tuesday we will be on Disney property, Wednesday we will redo our favorites and Thursday we head back home. Good luck with the planning. And I seem to recall that last time I was looking at Disney books, like the Birnbaum ones, they had one specific to Universal. I just can't remember what it was since I wasn't looking for it but I DO believe there are books out there just for that. Have fun!
    Melinda

Trips:

Offsite - June 1997
    WL - October 2008
    POFQ - April/May 2010

RPH - Universal - May 7th-11th 2014
    POFQ - Sept. 27-30, 2014 (just the two of us!)
    Royal Pacific Hotel - Universal - June 27th - July 1st, 2015
    POFQ - Sept 2017

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Williams5 View Post
    My wife is pushing for Universal trip instead of Disney for a change. I have like 10 copies of various Birnbaum Disney books and get the planning DVD almost every year. I can't seem to find anything like that for Universal.
    https://www.universalorlando.com/Res...-Planning.aspx

And here is the link to the vacation planning videos on their website:
    https://www.universalorlando.com/Res...ng-Videos.aspx

I'm not sure they offer vacation planning DVDs, but the link above should help you with what you are looking for... They have videos and a vacation planner available on the site... There are also planning books available on Amazon.... Universal Orlando 2014 by Seth Kubersky is one... The Independent Guide to Univseral Orlando 2014 by John Coast is another...

My youngest will still only be 6 at time of trip. Does that limit a lot of what we can do? I see what looks to be a good deal on a 3 days for price of 2 ticket. Do we need 3 full days at the 2 Universal Parks or are we going to be walking around looking at ambiance and stores a lot because the kids can't ride anything?
    Really depends on how tall your children are... Look at the Universal website for height requirements on the rides... If you know how tall your children are, then you should be able to determine if they can ride most or all of the rides or not... Older than 6 should be able to ride everything... But again, heights matters most...

As for how many days, I say each park is a day each... Take in the ambiance... Take in the scenery... Don't run from attraction to attraction, then you'll miss out... Especially IOA... The best themed theme park, in my opinion... Three days, for now, is sufficient... Universal will be getting 3 or 4 days from me for now on, and as more new stuff is added over the next 8-10 years, more days will be needed...

I've heard that many of the Universal Rides are coasters and themed more for older kids. I know they have cat in the hat and woody woodpecker, etc.
    Common misconception.. Yes they have coasters... Hulk, Dragon Challenge, Rip Ride Rocket... But that's it... Woody Woodpecker is a kiddie coaster as is Flight of the Hippogriff in Wizarding World... They have only the big person coasters (mentioned above).. and while Mummy can be considered a coaster too, I consider it more dark ride/coaster hybrid... No flips at all... No large drops either... Again, check out the height restrictions... Your children should be able to ride them all, unless your family are not coaster people...
    I'm assuming that the extra fee (fast pass) ticket is essentially a requirement for my clan, so I'm planning on it.
    Depends when you go... If you stay on site, the pass if free with hotel stay... Forbidden Journey (Harry Potter) is not an Express Pass attraction... I, personally, have never used Express Pass... I just waited... Spiderman, Forbidden Journey, and Despicable Me will generate the longest wait times (over an hour most of the time, DM sometimes longer than that)...

Edit: Also are there any must-do reservations that need to be looked at? I read about a Harry Potter restaurant that is walk in - but not seen much else yet.
    I'd suggest booking dining... Universal books 30 days out.. You can use Open Table to book more than 30 days in advance though... I Open Table to book Margaritaville in CityWalk... You can just walk into Three Broomsticks (the Harry Potter counter service restaurant)... If you decide to dine ay Mythos, I'd also recommend booking a reservation.... In general, your best bet is to always book the reservation...
    Son of Jor-El.. Kneel before Zod...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

Post Thanks / Like

William, here are the height restrictions and requirements:

• *Revenge of the Mummy® - Must be at least 48"
    • MEN IN BLACK™ Alien Attack™ - Must be at least 42". Children between 42"-48" must be accompanied by a Supervising Companion.
    • Woody Woodpecker's Nuthouse Coaster® - Must be at least 36". Children between 36"-48" must be accompanied by a Supervising Companion.
    • The Simpsons Ride™ – Must be at least 40". Children between 40"-48" must be accompanied by a Supervising Companion.
    • *Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit® - Must be at least 51" and no more than 79".
    • E.T. Adventure - Must be at least 34". Children between 34"-48" must be accompanied by a Supervising Companion.
    • Despicable Me Minion Mayhem - Must be at least 40". Children between 40"- 48" must be accompanied by a Supervising Companion. Persons under 40" must experience this attraction from an adjacent stationary seat.
    • TRANSFORMERS: The Ride-3D - Children between 40"-48" must be accompanied by a Supervising Companion.
    • Jurassic Park River Adventure® - Must be at least 42". Children between 42"-48" must be accompanied by a Supervising Companion.
    • Pteranodon Flyers® - Please note that Pteranodon Flyers® is designed for children 36" - 56" inches tall. A child meeting this requirement must accompany guests over 56 inches tall. Children between 36"-56" must be accompanied by a Supervising Companion.
    • *Dragon Challenge™ - Must be at least 54"
    • *Dudley Do-Right's Ripsaw Falls® - Must be at least 44". Children between 44"-48" must be accompanied by a Supervising Companion.
    • Popeye & Bluto's Bilge-Rat Barges® - Must be at least 42". between 42"-48" must be accompanied by a Supervising Companion.
    • *Incredible Hulk Coaster® - Must be at least 54"
    • The Amazing Adventures of Spider-Man® - Children between 40"-48" must be accompanied by a Supervising Companion.
    • *Doctor Doom's Fearfall® - Must be at least 52"
    • The High in the Sky Seuss Trolley Train Ride!™ - Children between 40"-48 "must be accompanied by a Supervising Companion.
    • *Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey™ - Must be 48"
    • Flight of the Hippogriff™ - Children between 36"-48" must be accompanied by a Supervising Companion.

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

Post Thanks / Like

There is a big misconception out there that Universal does not have enough to do for kids that are not teenagers. We have been taking my son (who is almost 16) there since he was a toddler.
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

I am a big planner and love the unofficial guide to wdw, but found that Univeral really didn't need as much planning. I do recommend you stay one night at Universal since the front of the line benefit is fabulous (much better than fast pass!)
    2017 WDW All Star Music/Universal RP
    2016 :(
    2015 Universal-Royal Pacific
    2014 :(
    2013 Fall: Wilderness Lodge
    2011-12 :(
    2010 French Quarter
    2009 Pop & AKL
    2008 Polynesian
    2007 ASM & BCR
    2006 AKL

Post Thanks / Like

Default US fastpass

If you stay at one of the 3 primary hotels the front of the line pass is included. IE: Sleeping there Tuesday night gets you a pass good for all of Tuesday and Wednesday.
    Not as crowded weekdays.
    Boardwalk
    Animal Kingdom Jambo
    Coronado Springs
    POP
    POP
    POP
    POP
    Riverside

Post Thanks / Like

a lot of good info DisneyFreak...
    ill be there next wk, for my first stay onsite..i haven't spent more than a day there before so ill take it a little slower and enjoy
    BC 2
    WL CL 1
    AKL 4
    SOG 3
    POFQ 3
    POR 2
    CSR 4
    CBR 2
    Asp 3
    AS m 2
    POP 7
    12-13 WL CSR ASM
    3-14 POR, AS s Dolphin
    6-14 Us CSR
    1-14 Unv
    6-15 WL, SSR.
    11- 15. AOA, OKw
    7 16..CSR, FW, AKL, POR
    7 17..ASM, CSR, WL AKL club POP
    8 18 As sports, Pop
    DL 9-19
    DVC WL, CSR and idk 10-20

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LVT View Post
    If you stay at one of the 3 primary hotels the front of the line pass is included. IE: Sleeping there Tuesday night gets you a pass good for all of Tuesday and Wednesday.
    Not as crowded weekdays.
    Right. To the OP--what I would recommend is to save your Universal days for the end of your trip on a weekday. Book a one-night stay at one of the UO (Loew's) hotels. Drive your RV over there first thing in the morning; you will have to pay for parking but it will be worth it in the long run. Check-in at the hotel; your room probably won't be ready, but they will stow your luggage for you and attach your Express Pass to your room card. Head over to the parks for the day! The next morning get up early and check-out then head over to IOA for the early entry and Harry Potter stuff and have another full day at the parks. Of course you could stay a 2nd night and enjoy an extra day of perks, if you wish. But two solid days with the unlimited Express Pass should enable you to go on most, if not all of the rides, mulitple times even.

As far as your 6-year-old, there will be plenty of rides/attractions for them to go on, especially if they are the adventurous sort.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crow View Post
    a lot of good info DisneyFreak...
    ill be there next wk, for my first stay onsite..i haven't spent more than a day there before so ill take it a little slower and enjoy
    You probably mentioned this somewhere else, but how many days are you going for?

I really feel people need to take it slow and see the sights, not just run from attraction to attraction... Slow it down, enjoy the parks for what they offer, not just doing the theme park commando style...

Post Thanks / Like

It's true! There are a lot of nice details and experiences to take in. Plus, if you're staying on-site the pools are pretty great as well. Nothing beats a mid-day break at a pool with free fruit-infused ice water and staff that come around distributing ice cloths for your face. Soooo relaxing knowing that you can pop right back into the park and not wait on any lines for anything (except Harry Potter if you don't want to get in the single rider line).
    '85-Disney Village Hilton; '87-Poly; '88-Day Trip-Disneyland; '89-GF; '94-GF; '97-ASMu; '98-Dixielandings; '02-CBR; '03-Offsite; '03-ASMo; '04-WL; '04-Offsite; '05-POFQ; '06-POFQ; '08-POP; '09-POP; '11-POP; '13-Day Trip-HS; Up next: Oct. '14-Day Trip-MK

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: