Quantcast DDP and dinner add-ons

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default DDP and dinner add-ons

If a menu says "add a lobster tail for $36.99"

Will DDP cover that?

I just saw a new(er) Narcossee's menu and the surf and turf has be replaced with the "option" to add a lobster tail to two of the beef entrees.

I haven't and won't use the DDP... Hate it, and the idea of more planning and having to "try to get ahead " ....long story some other post.

I hope it's covered... but if it's OOP that's kind of a slam to the DDP people

It might just be a ploy to lessen lobster sales. I'm not sure

I know a lot of people (myself included) look forward to the Surf&Turf at Narcossee's.
    Honeymoon, 89
    Poly 2002
    CR 2003
    Shades of Green May 2007
    GF June 2014 (25th Anniversary)

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

No way it covers that... Not the normal dining plan anyways... Possibly the deluxe eat three TS a day if you want plan...

The dining plan works through a set reimbursement per credit redeemed. That's why every place has pretty much the same food these days, it's all how cheaply can you get the dinner made to increase the 'profit' on each credit.

So, imagine each TS credit gets the restaurant $35. A signature meal gets them $70 and it's up them to feed you a meal worthy of that price. If the steak dish is $40, and they offer the tail inclusive, then that means they actually lose money on the meal, which won't happen.

That's also what burns me paying OOP, as I'm willing to pay for an exceptional meal, but I'm restricted to the same thing they serve everyone else.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyRox View Post
    No way it covers that... If the steak dish is $40, and they offer the tail inclusive, then that means they actually lose money on the meal, which won't happen.
    But till this last menu change Narcossee's offered the Surf and Turf (Steak and Lobster) on the regular menu. ~$71.00. I think that was still available on DDP

By changing it to Steak with an "optional add on" of a lobster tail are they not really just saying "No more Lobster for our DDP Guest??"

I hate the DDP. It causes Chefs to dumb down the menu to (as you put it $35 bucks an entrée/credit)

Since the pressure is on to make every item DDP available there is no incentive for the Chefs to make Great Entrees priced as needed to turn a profit...

If this is true... it's the first case I've seen of an item that was once on the DDP that was removed from DDP consideration.
    Honeymoon, 89
    Poly 2002
    CR 2003
    Shades of Green May 2007

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bruegge View Post
    I hate the DDP. It causes Chefs to dumb down the menu to (as you put it $35 bucks an entrée/credit)

Since the pressure is on to make every item DDP available there is no incentive for the Chefs to make Great Entrees priced as needed to turn a profit...
    We don't do the DDP either, and have actually gotten into the habit of doing a selection of several appetizers as meals. The creativity and variety of the chefs is still around - it's just (sadly) shifted to the one part of the menu - appetizers - that isn't covered by the DDP.

Steve
    First visit: Disneyland, July 17, 1955 (well, somebody had to be there on opening day!)

Most Recent Visit:
    Disneyland - June 21-25, 2017
    WDW - Sep 22 - Oct 5, 2019
    Next up: WDW - May 9 - 16, 2020 at Riviera!
    Dec 5 - 16, 2020 at Poly

Post Thanks / Like

But till this last menu change Narcossee's offered the Surf and Turf (Steak and Lobster) on the regular menu. ~$71.00. I think that was still available on DDP

By changing it to Steak with an "optional add on" of a lobster tail are they not really just saying "No more Lobster for our DDP Guest??"

If this is true... it's the first case I've seen of an item that was once on the DDP that was removed from DDP consideration.
    I think you have the situation exactly right. Something similar happened with the menu in Japan at Teppan Edo. There used to be a lobster tail meal option, and then it became an extra not covered by the DP, and now I think it's entirely off the menu-- but not sure, haven't been there in years.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SBETigg View Post
    ... and now I think it's entirely off the menu-- but not sure, haven't been there in years.
    If that's true, it would just be more proof how the DDP is lessening the dining experience for everyone.
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fangorn View Post
    We don't do the DDP either, and have actually gotten into the habit of doing a selection of several appetizers as meals. The creativity and variety of the chefs is still around - it's just (sadly) shifted to the one part of the menu - appetizers - that isn't covered by the DDP.

Steve
    Excellent point...

I said it years ago... every menu is going to have a basic shrimp pasta dish on it hoping someone will pick it rather than (doing what I've seen posted here before)

Ordering the most expensive thing on the menu so we "make/save money" off the DDP
    Honeymoon, 89
    Poly 2002
    CR 2003
    Shades of Green May 2007

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scar View Post
    If that's true, it would just be more proof how the DDP is lessening the dining experience for everyone.
    At least the butter poached lobster tail is still available to everyone now (if they are willing to pay for it) for the time being.

I'm just afraid Narcossee's will catch so much heck over it that they will just take if off the menu like Teppen Edo did (if that post was correct, and I believe it was)
    Honeymoon, 89
    Poly 2002
    CR 2003
    Shades of Green May 2007

Post Thanks / Like

At least the butter poached lobster tail is still available to everyone now (if they are willing to pay for it) for the time being.

I'm just afraid Narcossee's will catch so much heck over it that they will just take if off the menu like Teppen Edo did (if that post was correct, and I believe it was)
    But they already downgraded the lobster tail at Narcoossee's. They used to serve all Maine lobster and then about five years ago, they switched the tail to warm water lobster tail and it's not anywhere close to as good as it was. I avoid it anyway. The only Maine lobster available now is with the full lobster dinner... and maybe that's on the way out, too.

With or without the DDP, these are cost cutting measures they may have eventually taken with the economy as it went. The cost of the DDP has gone up so that it's no longer a bargain, and they weren't filling the seats without it. If they hadn't come up with a dining plan for guests, it's likely that some of the restaurants would have closed or left Disney property. I consider the DDP more of a mixed blessing than a curse.
    Sherri

Post Thanks / Like

I was wondering the same thing especially since it takes two entitlements to eat there. I would imagine people are going to complain having to still use two credits and now having to pay for the add on

Dec.11-18, 2021 Port Orleans Riverside
    Jan. 25-Feb. 1, 2017, Port Orleans Riverside
    Oct. 29-Nov.4, 2014-Yacht Club
    Dec. 17-23 2011-Wilderness Lodge
    Dec. 20-30, 2008-Pop Century
    Dec. 25,2005-Jan.1, 2006-Coronado Springs
    Jan. 1-7, 2003-All Star Movies

Post Thanks / Like

They used to serve all Maine lobster and then about five years ago, they switched the tail to warm water lobster tail and it's not anywhere close to as good as it was.
    It's been 7 years since we have been there... The Surf & Turf (back then) and Narcossee's were our favorite entrée/dining experience of all our trips.... just beating out Cali Grill...

(Note: We have not tried V&A yet ... When the kids were younger the DW didn't want to get a sitter.... She wanted the family vacation... Now at DD15 and DD10 she wants to do V&A so..

This June trip we finally will.... Queen Victoria Room. $$$$)

Thanks for your input... I hope the people on DDP don't have a cow... but seeing the new menu, it does look like it's taking away the lobster if you know what I mean.
    Honeymoon, 89
    Poly 2002
    CR 2003
    Shades of Green May 2007

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your input... I hope the people on DDP don't have a cow... but seeing the new menu, it does look like it's taking away the lobster if you know what I mean.

Well, they can still have cow. For now.
    Sherri

Post Thanks / Like

Well, they can still have cow. For now.
    Lmao... I almost wrote "no pun intended" but hey... have fun with it..LOL
    Honeymoon, 89
    Poly 2002
    CR 2003
    Shades of Green May 2007

Post Thanks / Like

When we were there in October, you could add the lobster tail to your meal and it was covered by the DDP. Since this is a two credit restaurant, maybe they are a little more accomodating. Two people in our party added the lobster tail to their steaks.
    Danielle

First Trip: April 1977
    Last Trip:- June 15-June 27 BLT and Vero Beach
    Next Trip: June 20-30 Vero Beach

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: