Quantcast infant in DW

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Thread: infant in DW

Post Thanks / Like

Default infant in DW

We had our last DW vacation in December and are getting the little itch to go back. Not this year but thinking about next year. We are expecting our first child in September and we were just discussing having the baby's first birthday in Disney World.
    We were just curious if other people have done it and how was it? Were people chastising you for bringing such a young child? Did you get dirty looks from people while you were at dinner? If we did go we would try to be very mindful of our surroundings and try not to interrupt other people's dining experience. We are thinking about getting more of my family involved. We are thinking about getting my mom, her husband, my brother, his wife, and his daughter to come with us. We were thinking that we could all have a kid free day. Anyone try this as well?
    Thanks for your inputs!!

Family Trips (I was very young):
    80's - 90's Grand Floridian; Polynesian

May 2001 - All Star Sports
    2009; 2010; 2012; 2013 - All Star Movies

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't worry too much. I see loads of people bringing little ones into the parks. It's a much different pace than pre kids for sure.

Post Thanks / Like

When our granddaughter was 11 months old, we went with her and her parents. It was the end of August. We had a great time. Just remember that you'll want to take it slow - no commando Disney - and that the little one will find a lot of pleasure in the little things that you'd completely overlook if they weren't there.

It will help to have other family along to give you a break (but don't expect them to split 'baby time' 50/50 with you). We actually enjoyed having the baby without having to take care of her parents too .

And, no, you're not likely to get dirty looks from other people at WDW. Most people will smile, nod and think "been there, done that". Meltdowns can't always be avoided no matter how hard you try. When it happens, you just have to deal with it the best you can.

One suggestion: if at all possible, seriously consider renting a car if you aren't driving. You'll have just a bit more control over your schedule and you won't have to endure interminable bus rides with a fussy baby.

Steve
    First visit: Disneyland, July 17, 1955 (well, somebody had to be there on opening day!)

Most Recent Visit:
    Disneyland - June 21-25, 2017
    WDW - Sep 22 - Oct 5, 2019
    Next up: WDW - May 9 - 16, 2020 at Riviera!
    Dec 5 - 16, 2020 at Poly

Post Thanks / Like

I think you might get people at home asking why you're taking your little one at such a young age--because he/she certainly won't remember it. Which I think is a dumb argument, because YOU will remember it! A WDW trip is going to be completely different and holds different magic for a 1 y/o, a 3 y/o, a 12 y/o, etc.

I don't think anyone will look twice at you with a small one, and being there with a family group will only add to the fun--and will definitely force you to move slower (as large groups tend to do).

Just remember to take it slow and let your baby (and your niece, although you didn't say how old she was) guide the trip!

And congrats, by the way!
    Christi

2014: May--POR & US/IOA; Nov--POR (1st rD--JJ5k!)
    2013: May--POR
    2012: Jun--POP; Aug--POP/Hard Rock
    2011: Aug/Sept--US/IOA; Nov--POFQ
    2010: Dec--CSR
    2009: Sept--Poly GVCL
    2008: Sept--POFQ
    2007: Jan/Feb--POR; Sept: POFQ
    2004: Oct--CSR
    1987: off-site

Post Thanks / Like

We took each of our girls for the first birthday, and our son went at 6 months, and will again for his first birthday. We never got looks in the parks; I've seen 6 week olds there. We rarely let it get to meltdown mode, so I can't really respond to that question, other than know that you will not be able to go at your normal pace, but you'll learn to love the new pace because it comes with seeing the magic through your child's eyes. As for friends/family thinking you're crazy for taking your child at a young age, ask them if their parents ever took them anywhere as an infant. It's not for the kid; it's for the parents, and why shouldn't it be? The parents will always have that pic of baby and Mickey to cherish, and the kid will love looking back on it. Our kids are now 5yo, 2yo, and 8mo; and they've been to Disney 5x, 2x, and 1x respectively; so obviously we don't take that argument to heart.
    Susan °o°

You cheated.
    Pirate.

8/98 CBR; 10/00 ASM; 11/01 POR; 7/07 POR; 10/09 ASM; 10/10 Pop; 6/12 ASM; 12/13 ASM; 6/14 FWC; 7/15 FWC; 12/16 2 weeks at FWC!

Post Thanks / Like

Just make sure you have all the tricks and trades you use at home to calm the baby and also make your day easier. Trust me everyone at Disney knows what it's like to have a small baby that's why you get all the smiles. We have all been there. It's a great time to go in December you should have cooler weather. Just pack light for the parks too. Don’t bring the whole baby room with you...lol this way you can move easily through the park and when you and baby have had enough you can call it a day. If you’re moving slowly and baby is nice and full (with a dry diaper) you should be able to get a whole day out of it. Have fun planning
    Been there, done that and going back!!! See ya real soon !!!

Post Thanks / Like

First off, congrats!!! DH and I are expecting our first child in 10 days (hopefully less, ha).

I don't think anyone in the parks/restaurants will look at you funny or give dirty looks. You might get some backlash from people at home wondering why you're taking your baby at such a young age. Do it for your memories though! Also, I hope you will have a small birthday party at home for your little one.

Best of luck!
    WDW visits . . .
    April 2013 - Yacht Club
    May 2012 - Grand Floridian
    May 2011 - Grand Floridian
    March 2006 - Offsite
    2000 - 2004 Numerous trips while in college in FL
    January 1989 - First Visit! Polynesian

Next visit:
    September - Disneyland (First trip with son!)

Post Thanks / Like

We took our older daughter when she was 13 months old. She did great! She napped in the stroller and those were the times that we rode the "big kid" stuff that she was too young for, using baby swap. Nobody batted an eye at having a 1 yo at the parks or in the restaurants. We also traveled with my sister's family when her kids were each 5 and 6 months old. I've seen kids as young as newborns although I don't think I would want to travel with one quite that young. Bottom line is to let the kids dictate the pace of the trip and don't worry about anyone else's opinion!
    Kathy ºoº

LET'S GO BUCS!

Next trip - June '14

Past trips:
    6/13, 4/13, 7/12, 7/11, 1/11, 8/10, 7/09, 3/09, 8/08, 8/07, 12/06, 9/05, 7/03, 7/98, 5/96, 8/93, '70's X 2

Post Thanks / Like

Hi there! Congratulations!

We just got back from WDW, and we saw lots of babies there. The only time I might have felt like giving a "look" was with the mother with the 5 piece stroller that she insisted on taking completely apart. She actually had passengers she did not know holding pieces of her stroller. I've never seen anything like it. My kids are older now, and I do feel for the dad's lugging these monster strollers around, but until this past trip I had never seen one with so many pieces.

The only other time I've wondered about someone with a baby is when the baby is crying or actually having a meltdown and the parents are simply ignoring the baby. I am a mother, and most babies cry because they need something, are wet, tired, hungry, etc. I don't mind the meltdown, I just don't understand parents that ignore the baby and don't try to comfort him or her. Again, I don't think I've seen this at WDW before, but I saw it twice this trip and I felt badly for the little ones.

I am sure you will have a great time, and no, the baby won't remember the trip, but they'll enjoy hearing about it and seeing the pictures. Have an amazing time!
    2006 - WL 2007 - WL
    2008 - WL 2009 - WL
    2010 - BC
    2010 (fall) - CBR
    2011 - DCL and FW Cabin
    2011 (fall) - WL
    2012 - BC (suprise upgrade to Club Level!)
    2013 - WL

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats to both you and Belle of the Ball!!!

The times I've given looks to infants at WDW was to notice how cute they are. The memories of the trip will be for you cherish!

Post Thanks / Like

Completely doable and you will not get any odd looks for having a baby at WDW. We've taken all 3 of our kids as infants including our trip last week with our 11 month old.

1. Every baby is different so there is no one best strategy for kids that age.

2. Baby care centers are great if you have a kid who needs to get away from all the stimulation.

3. Bring snacks and toys to dinner to help pass the time. Almost all Disney restaurants are very family friendly. Buffets and family style dining as especially nice if you have an impatient little one.

4. Get a good umbrella style stroller with recline and a good sun shade.

5. Babywearing in the parks is also super helpful. My 11 month old spent the majority of her day in the carrier and even napped there while we trekked around the parks. She was happier being held/worn than being in a stroller.
    Michelle

Where there is kindness there is goodness, and where there is goodness there is magic.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: