Quantcast Poly Atrium Being Removed - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm so sorry for those who will miss it. We all miss certain aspects regarding changes that Disney is compelled to make. However, IMO, the term "70's cheesy" is right on the money. Who knows? Soon you may have to schedule a "fast pass +" six months in advance to view the castle from the atrium!
    B

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Atrium

Just returned from WDW and a lunch at Kona Café. It seemed that the water feature did not have the larger mature plants anymore, and the waterfall was not running. Later in the week, it was back on again. Maybe the maintenance issue is part of the problem here. We were told that the roof over the atrium has been a continuing problem with leaks.
    '77- Offsite - '98,'99, '00, '01 - Dixie Landings; '01 - CS, Poly Cons, POR; '02 - WLV & WL; '03, '04, '05 - POR / Poly Cons.; 11-'05 AKL & Poly Cons.; '06 BCV & Poly Cons.; '07 POR & Poly Cons.; '08 SSV; '10 BWV & AKV; '12 BWV & AKV; '14 BWV & AKV; '15 BCV, BLV, BWV

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
    Agreed. I am willing to bet this is happening due to the new DVC being built at the Poly. It would not surprise me if they start to restrict people from going to the beach to watch the fireworks and make beach viewing only available to Poly and Poly DVC guests. Everyone else will be able to view from the lobby.

This is purely a guess, though.
    There used to be signs that stated the beach and pool area was for Polynesian Resort guests only and on certain holidays they try to check resort IDs at the beach so I would not be surprised if the new pool area they will start in August will keep people from going from the GCH out to the beach. I know the new fence will keep people off the new pool deck area that will extend up to the GCH and will require resort ID to enter and since the pool goes right up to the beach I am guessing they will just fence off that whole section. I can’t imagine the fence will cut between the pool and the beach. Also the docks that the bungalows will be attached to will all be off limits to anyone not booked in a bungalow so that will cut off that whole area.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyFreak2002 View Post
    Not buying the view to the castle excuse... Now, if you were to say because they don't want to spend the money on maintaining the water feature, then I'd buy that!!!

Maybe tikiman can add to this, but my understanding is the water feature is actually very expensive to run and they have constant issues with needs constant maintenance... too pricy anymore...

In all seriousness though, I believe this is actually part of the new branding of Poly... With the added DVC units, they wanted to open the lobby up for what is expected an increase of guest stays... Who knows? Maybe time to modernize the lobby... Always had a 1970's feel to it...
    I was told it was a combination of both. They want a new look to the lobby and I am sure they are trying to get back some of that square footage.

From discussions I have had with those involved the initial reason was that the pumps and filters that pull water from the front ponds constantly fail. To totally replace with a new system would be very expensive and difficult because of how it is built into the structure. You can often see the pumps not running or it drained for maintenance for many years now. If the filters fail than it is a health hazard because it brings in some bad stuff from the outside pond. Also they have to replace the sky lights that cover the entire ceiling of the GCH and to get the equipment in would be easier if there was nothing in the middle. The ceiling constantly leaks and often has tarps over it. During the redesign and removal of the asbestos they will be fixing all these things that they have been patching up for 42 years. They also have to make some adjustments to be ADA compliant with the new design.

Post Thanks / Like

While for purely sentimental reasons this makes me sad (who can forget that feeling of awe when your five or six year old self saw all that inside a buidling!?) it is incredibly dated.

I really don't doubt that the new lobby design will be lovely.
    "One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation, right at the start of everything thats new, one little spark lights up for you!"

ºoº

Mom to our little Prince Everett and Princess Adelaide
    August 2020 Caribbean Beach!
    Not all treasure is silver and gold, mate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dulcee View Post
    While for purely sentimental reasons this makes me sad (who can forget that feeling of awe when your five or six year old self saw all that inside a buidling!?) it is incredibly dated.

I really don't doubt that the new lobby design will be lovely.
    I remember feeling the awe but some of the younger members of our family have been oddly unmoved. It's not so impressive any more, apparently.

These kids today are too young for even 70s nostalgia.

Jan

Post Thanks / Like

Default Poly Lobby

Defintely time for a new look.
    Trips planned for 2016......

January..... Offfsite... Golf outing

West Chester, PA (formerly Philadelphia, PA)
    Post Thanks / Like

We always enjoy visiting the Polynesian. Walking through the grounds after dark, hearing the music, and relaxing in the GCH were always part of our visit, after a meal at either Kona Café or Captain Cook's. I guess, after 40+ years it is time for an update. I just hope that the relaxing Hawaiian look, feel and atmosphere will remain.
    Sylvia ºOº

80+ WDW visits . . .

1976-88 - I Drive /
    1989-??? - CBR; DL; SoG; CSR; CR; POP; ASMu; WL; FQ

Upcoming:
    30 Apr - 14 May 19 PO French Quarter

Post Thanks / Like

I will miss the old atrium, but having visited Aulani, if they're going to bring some of that vision to the Poly, I'm all for it! It's an absolutely breathtaking resort.
    Many visits over 35+ years!
    DVC member since 2004 (SSR)

Stayed at: Bay Lake Tower, Polynesian, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge, Boardwalk, Beach Club, Dolphin, PO Riverside, AS Sports, AS Movies, Saratoga, Vero Beach, Hilton Head, Aulani, Disneyland Hotel, and Grand Californian.

Post Thanks / Like

As with so many things at WDW over the years, updates and upgrades have been done - some better than others - and we've adjusted! Personally, I will really miss the awesome feeling of walking into the Poly lobby. But hopefully, the new look will be just as inspiring for guests. I have to admit, I'm a little older than the Poly, and I probably could use a bit of an upgrade and make-over, too! I will always remember the first time I saw that lobby as a kid, though - back in the 70s. The most amazing thing I had seen.

Post Thanks / Like

I am told that the changes to the resort will not be Aulani inspired but more of an Adventureland feel. Aulani represents Hawaii. Things that were developed for the Adventureland parts of the parks were inspired by many other cultures in the Pacific.

Also keep in mind that calling the look of the resort dated or 70s is really more of a matter of opinion. The design elements, materials, colors and fabrics used have changed since the opening in 1971. The look of everything at the resort other than the outer structures has changed about every 5 to 10 years. Nothing you see is really original or even older than maybe the year 2000. The lobby looks completely different since its major change in the early 90s (that has nothing inspired from the 70s) and things like pictures furniture, carpets, etc have changed just in the last few years.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tikiman View Post
    I am told that the changes to the resort will not be Aulani inspired but more of an Adventureland feel. Aulani represents Hawaii. Things that were developed for the Adventureland parts of the parks were inspired by many other cultures in the Pacific.

Also keep in mind that calling the look of the resort dated or 70s is really more of a matter of opinion. The design elements, materials, colors and fabrics used have changed since the opening in 1971. The look of everything at the resort other than the outer structures has changed about every 5 to 10 years. Nothing you see is really original or even older than maybe the year 2000. The lobby looks completely different since its major change in the early 90s (that has nothing inspired from the 70s) and things like pictures furniture, carpets, etc have changed just in the last few years.
    Thank you, I was thinking the same thing. I remember the old Poly and it does not look the same from way back then. I believe that they have done a great job in keeping up with the times. I believe this is just a new phase that it will be going through. I will miss the atrium, and I will keep an open mind to what is coming. I am looking forward to the Adventureland theming.
    "There's enough land here to hold all the ideas and dreams that we could possibly imagine."-Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

Well....I guess it's time. Definitely have the sentimental aspect as a kid visiting in the '70's. And our first few trips with our DS' we stayed at the POLY and the grounds, ambiance, atmosphere is hard to beat. I remember they had the parrots in there for a long time too.

But....I also remember saying to the DW on our first stay here that it seemed a bit outdated and dark (DW did not appreciate this BTW )
    I think they do need to open it up and brighten it up as wel. I am sure there will still be tropical touches (plants, some possible minimal water features, etc.) scattered about the lobby but if done right - PLEASE do it right Disney - it should be a definite plus for the resort. Back in Nov. so mI look forward to seeing the updates.
    March 99 - POFQ
    Feb 04 - WL
    Feb 05 - POLY
    Nov 05 - CB
    Oct 06 - POLY
    Nov 07 - POLY/BC
    Nov 08 - BC
    Mar 10 - WL
    Nov 10 - POR-Riverside
    Apr 12 - POR-Riverside
    Mar 13 - POR
    Jan 14 - WL
    Nov 14 - POR-Riverside
    Mar 16 - POLY
    Aug 17 - POLY
    Aug 18 - BC

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mickclub1955 View Post
    Thank you, I was thinking the same thing. I remember the old Poly and it does not look the same from way back then. I believe that they have done a great job in keeping up with the times. I believe this is just a new phase that it will be going through. I will miss the atrium, and I will keep an open mind to what is coming. I am looking forward to the Adventureland theming.
    I just recently wrote an article where I outlined the changes over the years because so many people think the Polynesian is outdated. It shows how often it has been upgraded and changed or expanded. To brighten it, make it modern and remove the look and feel of the resort would be to take away from the resort what makes it what it should be. It would be like me saying I don’t like Frontier Land because it looks old and rustic. They should rip it out and make it more of a modern ranch feel.

I think the Polynesian needs to keep things up as they always have and have the updates to the theme be subtle. If anyone thinks its dated and run down than the simple solution to that is to not stay there.
    Last edited by Hammer; 02-11-2014 at 04:37 PM. Reason: removed links

Post Thanks / Like

I just recently wrote an article where I outlined the changes over the years because so many people think the Polynesian is outdated. It shows how often it has been upgraded and changed or expanded. To brighten it, make it modern and remove the look and feel of the resort would be to take away from the resort what makes it what it should be. It would be like me saying I don’t like Frontier Land because it looks old and rustic. They should rip it out and make it more of a modern ranch feel.

I think the Polynesian needs to keep things up as they always have and have the updates to the theme be subtle. If anyone thinks its dated and run down than the simple solution to that is to not stay there.
    Thanks again. I find that, and I may be wrong, this is the only hotel at WDW that actually has a following. A lot of people relate their first visits to WDW with this hotel. It is like we all have a personal stake in what happens to it. For most, it is our first memory of WDW. I am just sad that the price for this hotel has risen so much over the years, but it hasn't stopped me from coming back and eating at its restaurants, sitting in the atrium and relaxing a bit. I don't think any other hotel at WDW does this to me (maybe except AKL, with the animals and all).

I do have a question though, I got to thinking about Adventureland and the changes there. It doesn't just have a south seas feel to it anymore. There is Agrabah there now as well. It this going to come into play at the Poly?
    Last edited by MNNHFLTX; 02-11-2014 at 06:24 PM. Reason: removed links quoted in another post
    "There's enough land here to hold all the ideas and dreams that we could possibly imagine."-Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mickclub1955 View Post
    Thanks again. I find that, and I may be wrong, this is the only hotel at WDW that actually has a following. A lot of people relate their first visits to WDW with this hotel. It is like we all have a personal stake in what happens to it. For most, it is our first memory of WDW. I am just sad that the price for this hotel has risen so much over the years, but it hasn't stopped me from coming back and eating at its restaurants, sitting in the atrium and relaxing a bit. I don't think any other hotel at WDW does this to me (maybe except AKL, with the animals and all).

I do have a question though, I got to thinking about Adventureland and the changes there. It doesn't just have a south seas feel to it anymore. There is Agrabah there now as well. It this going to come into play at the Poly?
    No, there are not any plans that I know of to incorporate anything that is not keeping with the Polynesian theme. Think of it more as the areas that surround the Tiki rooms at both parks, although I guess the whole Trader Sam’s thing is more of an Africa safari thing. I guess the bar itself is more of a world traveler thing but is located in the South Pacific.

Post Thanks / Like

I was told it was a combination of both. They want a new look to the lobby and I am sure they are trying to get back some of that square footage.

From discussions I have had with those involved the initial reason was that the pumps and filters that pull water from the front ponds constantly fail. To totally replace with a new system would be very expensive and difficult because of how it is built into the structure. You can often see the pumps not running or it drained for maintenance for many years now. If the filters fail than it is a health hazard because it brings in some bad stuff from the outside pond. Also they have to replace the sky lights that cover the entire ceiling of the GCH and to get the equipment in would be easier if there was nothing in the middle. The ceiling constantly leaks and often has tarps over it. During the redesign and removal of the asbestos they will be fixing all these things that they have been patching up for 42 years. They also have to make some adjustments to be ADA compliant with the new design.
    Thanks tiki... I figured if anyone could confirm what I heard, you could..

Poly was actually the first WDW resort I ever stayed at on my second trip ever to WDW... I'm looking forward to seeing what they do with the lobby.... Like I said, it felt 1970's... And after spending time in Boardwalk, AKL, and Wilderness Lodge lobbies, Poly's lobby was blah... I hope they do make it more inviting... Especially since they are adding DVC there...
    Son of Jor-El.. Kneel before Zod...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

Post Thanks / Like

I do love the poly lobby. It's so peaceful to hear the water running and I love the smell of it. We were there tonight watching the fireworks on the beach (staying at AKL Jambo) and I was telling my husband about the plans to remove the plants/water feature in the lobby.

We looked and even if they do this, it would not provide a view of the castle. They would have to remove all of the overgrown plants outside too in front of the pool looking towards the lobby in order to see the castle which looked very far away from the beach.
    Lindsey
    1991-2005: every year!
    Aug 05/06: OKW
    March, May, & Oct 07: SS
    Nov 08: SS
    Aug 09: SS
    Sept '11: AKL
    Dec '11: BW
    Mar '12: SS, WL, DCL Dream!
    Aug '12: Pop
    Oct '13: OKW
    Feb '14: AKL
    Dec '14: AKL
    Feb 15: Beach Club
    Feb 16: BWV
    Oct 16: Aulani
    Feb 17: BWV

Post Thanks / Like

They also have to make some adjustments to be ADA compliant with the new design.
    Does it require a hot tub to be ADA compliant???
    ~*~Tonya~*~

1st = 1992
    ASMo = Jan. 6-12 '07
    POP = Jan 5-11 '08
    BWV = Jan 6-16 '09
    BCV = Jan 12-22 '10
    BWV = Jan. 21-29 '11
    BWV = Jan. 21-28 '12
    BWV = Dec. 8-15 '12
    BCV/BWV=Jan. 24-Feb. 1 '14
    BWV = Jan. 16-24 '15
    BWV = Jan. 29-Feb. 6 '16
    BWV = Jan. 20-28 '17
    BWV = Jan. 26-Feb. 3 '18

Saratoga County, New York/Polk County, Florida
    Post Thanks / Like

We are looking forward to this as this lobby is currently our least favorite of the deluxe lobbies.
    39 trips to WDW (before I stopped counting and bought a house in the WDW area), 1 to DL & 5 DCL

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: