Quantcast San Diego Hotels

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default San Diego Hotels

My husband and 3 children will be staying in San Diego for 5 days before heading to DL. Does anyone have any hotel they would recommend in the San Diego area? We were thinking of something on the beach. I am going crazy reading all the reviews and for some hotels the reviews are all over the place, so I thought I would ask you guys! Thanks for your help.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I haven't stayed there but my daughter and her husband enjoyed their stay at the Hotel del Coronado.
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

BelleBeauty Guest

The Hotel del Coronado is classic and you are right on the beach. Beautiful views, great little town to explore, not far from the airport. You are kinda of secluded in just Coronado, but you could drive downtown, to the zoo, etc.

Another great place for family is Paradise Point. It is no on the ocean but the bay. It is secluded almost on it's own little island and is very family friendly. Some rooms open right up onto a back lawn, small beach area and water. Spa is great! It is also really close to SeaWorld and I think you might be able to see the fireworks they do at night.

If you want to be in downtown San Diego, the Marriott Marquis is nice and has a good pool area. Not near the beach, but they are near the embarcadaro, a lot of nice shops and restaurants, and you can rent boats and take them out on the water and under the Coronado Bridge from there. You are also walking distance from all of the Gaslamp restaurants. The Omni downtown is also very nice and they have a ramp that connects you right to Petco Park (baseball field) if you will be going during baseball season and want to take in a game.

For something totally beach you can look at some of the hotels in La Jolla near La Jolla Shores. They have a lot of older hotels that are situated near the beach (below the cliff side of La Jolla), near a lot of equipment shops where you can sea kayak and more. A lot of the hotels have private beach areas. You are a short drive up the hill to the la Jolla cliffs area which is very nice with restaurants, pathways and grass areas, and fancy shops.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for your responses so far! They are very helpful. I will further look into the hotels mentioned.
    If anyone else has any input, please share!
    I appreciate it.

Post Thanks / Like

I've stayed at the Marriott and the Hyatt in San Diego. The pool at the Marriott is cool because the sunlight constantly reflects light down onto it from the hotel windows. It is slightly less expensive than the Hyatt, which is a little more upscale and right next door. My choice though, would be The Hotel del Coronado. Really really classic and lovely, but it is across the Bay. I don't know if that is an issue for you. Our oldest was just a baby when we stayed there, but I wouldn't hesitate with kids.

Have you considered a stay at Dana Point on your way back up to DL? It is so beautiful
    Jennifer (aka Mickey'sGirl)
    INTERCOT Staff: Guests with Special Needs, Dining and Disney Characters

Last trip: March 2016 - Fantasy
    Next trip: Aug 2017 - Aulani

I am a Galactic Hero once more!

Post Thanks / Like

I may actually have the least amount of input for specific hotels since I live here and therefore haven't stayed in any area hotels. Several have mentioned Hotel del Coronado. I've been there many times for brunches, dinners and meetings but never in a room. The property is beautiful and historical. But, as also mentioned, it is farther removed from the actual city of San Diego.

Are there specific activities already planned that would pinpoint an area? When will they be here? If they are coming during Comic-Con (07/23-27) do NOT stay downtown unless they are attending the convention. Crowds and room prices will be out of sight.
    Linda aka tinkwest
    INTERCOT Staff ~ Disneyland Resort

Come On Everybody - Here We Go!!

“To all who come to this happy place: Welcome. ...”

Support our INTERCOT Sponsors!

Post Thanks / Like

You can't go wrong with Hotel Del. We usually stay in North County near the grandparents in the Carlsbad area.
    *Sheraton Carlsbad
    *Carlsbad INN
    *Grand Pacific Palisades

My husband is a pilot and I've been to several of the crew hotels in San Diego with him:

*Stay away from Hotel Circle if you can
    *The Holiday Inn Bayside is really nice and we've enjoyed it there.

A few suggestions to eat while I'm at it:
    *Pizzeria Luigi - awesome, cash only - near downtown - it's a must on every trip.
    *Stone Brewery is great too if you end up in North County, you need reservations usually at least a week in advance.
    *Las Olsas (Carlsbad or Cardiff by the Sea)

I could go on and on as we spend a lot of time in San Diego, so if you're interested in more suggestions just let me know.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Disney View Post
    *Stone Brewery is great too if you end up in North County, you need reservations usually at least a week in advance.
    Stone Brewing is now also at Liberty Station in Point Loma.
    Linda aka tinkwest

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tinkwest View Post
    I may actually have the least amount of input for specific hotels since I live here and therefore haven't stayed in any area hotels. Several have mentioned Hotel del Coronado. I've been there many times for brunches, dinners and meetings but never in a room. The property is beautiful and historical. But, as also mentioned, it is farther removed from the actual city of San Diego.

Are there specific activities already planned that would pinpoint an area? When will they be here? If they are coming during Comic-Con (07/23-27) do NOT stay downtown unless they are attending the convention. Crowds and room prices will be out of sight.
    We will definitely be doing the Zoo and Sea World with the kids. In looking at the hotels people mentioned here, I came across Pacific Terrace Hotel. Does anyone have any input on this hotel?

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Disney View Post
    You can't go wrong with Hotel Del. We usually stay in North County near the grandparents in the Carlsbad area.
    *Sheraton Carlsbad
    *Carlsbad INN
    *Grand Pacific Palisades

My husband is a pilot and I've been to several of the crew hotels in San Diego with him:

*Stay away from Hotel Circle if you can
    *The Holiday Inn Bayside is really nice and we've enjoyed it there.

A few suggestions to eat while I'm at it:
    *Pizzeria Luigi - awesome, cash only - near downtown - it's a must on every trip.
    *Las Olsas (Carlsbad or Cardiff by the Sea)

I could go on and on as we spend a lot of time in San Diego, so if you're interested in more suggestions just let me know.
    Thank you so much for the food suggestions! Food is a VERY important part of our vacations!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by green ranger View Post
    In looking at the hotels people mentioned here, I came across Pacific Terrace Hotel. Does anyone have any input on this hotel?
    Have never been in the hotel but it is in a great spot, right on the boardwalk in Pacific Beach near Crystal Pier. Can't get much closer to the ocean.
    Linda aka tinkwest

Post Thanks / Like

I would echo what people have said about the Hotel Del. It's awesome, but you're kind of secluded away from everything.

La Jolla is a great place - I've run past La Jolla Shores Hotel, and it looks like someplace I would like to stay. It's right on the water, La Jolla shores is a fun little surf spot, and there's lot of other water stuff to do, but you're a little bit north of all the main SD stuff like Sea World and downtown.

Just wanted to give you a little info if you're looking in the Pacific Beach area. PB is definitely more of your party beach scene. It's not a bad place to stay, but it's little bit more raucous than other areas. Just something to be aware of when you're booking.

Mission Beach, just to the south of PB is a little less party. You may want to look into staying in the Mission Bay area. I run past the Hilton San Diego Resort and Spa, and it looks great. It's on the Bay, not the beach, but it's just a hop, skip, and a jump from Sea World (maybe a mile or so?). It's right on the water, and if you want to go to Mission Beach, it's only a mile or two away.

Also, I agree with one of the previous posters: stay away from Hotel Circle.
    Beth aka Gretel - I blame the dolls.

Total trips: I've lost count!
    Resorts: POR, GF, Poly, CB, Pop
    Last trip - Jan 2014 Pop Century & POR; Dopey Challenge
    Next trip - Disneyland Aug, 2014 Half Marathon

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you all for taking the time to answer my question. I appreciate all of your help.

Post Thanks / Like

Hotel del Coronado is wonderful and La Jolla Shores hotel is another great choice. I would highly recommend either of these hotels!
    Happy Vacation planning!!!

Julie
    º0º emerzmom º0º
    Disney Vacations:
    DL: 81,00,01,02,04,05,06,08
    WDW: 98,99,00,01,02,03(x2),04(x2),05,,07,09,11,12,13(x2 ),14,15,16
    Next trip Nov 2017

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: