Quantcast New Park? - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Park?

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Stu29573 View Post
    They need a park that has all of the old attractions they tore out of the existing parks! Retro-Disney!
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

While the idea of a retro park sounds cool, especially to Disney die-hards, there were reasons that they were replaced.

With the exception of maybe just 20k leagues, rides like Toad, Horizons, penny arcade,Snow White, Sea Cabs, classic Figment, and others were not drawing new visitors to the park in this modern day.

While not all of their replacements have been successes, the evil business side of disney () couldn't justify keeping them open.

To another point, I think disney has acquired plenty of theme park possibilities with Lucas and Marvel. While I've always hoped for a real life Super Mario land somewhere, I doubt that will ever happen.

Post Thanks / Like

I think a modern, high-tech, state-of-the-art version of 20,0000 Leagues Under the Sea, with live sea life in the water, for instance, would be beyond cool, but I don't think you could build an entire park around this concept. Most of the "old" rides we wish would come back are really old-fashioned ride tech (cars on a track going through a dark room with black-lit cut-outs.). Not the kind of stuff that would attract millions of visitors despite our love of nostalgia. Unless you re-concieve those old rides with completely new state of the art ride tech (think HP& Forbidden Journey), I think the atractiveness of a retro park would be short-lived.

My vote would go for an entire new park based on the Star Wars universe, with all new ride concepts for coasters, thrill rides, simulators, and shows, and photo ops with characters. There's lots of choices for themed areas within that type of park, villains and good guys, and even a princess. But I don't expect too see a new park in WDW in my lifetime, they have too much to do to get the parks they already have back on track and staying ahead of the competition.
    1971 (age 15) MK was new!
    1974 off-site (Senior Trip)
    1982 off-site
    1988 off-site
    May 2002 AS-Sports, with DW & kids
    May 2004 Pop Century
    Feb 2005 Wilderness Lodge
    Oct 2006 Pop Century
    Oct 2008 Camped at Fort Wilderness
    Feb 2010 Cruise on the Wonder
    Dec 2014 POFQ for Christmas!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Ad what is missing

I like the idea of a park of primarily thrill rides. Coasters and scary rides based primarily at the teens and up age group would attract some of the Universal crowd back. This would also give all of the rude and rowdy Brazilians, the high school trip kids, and the older brothers and sisters someplace to go to burn off some energy.

I do not think it needs things for toddlers or tweens. There are enough things for them already.
    "Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be." - Abraham Lincoln

Post Thanks / Like

I like the idea of a thrill ride park, especially because I consider myself a part of that core demographic.

However, it goes completely against the fundamental principle behind Disney parks. Walt wanted somewhere for adults to bring their kids that both could enjoy. A theme park aimed at teens and 20 something's wouldn't fit that philosophy.

I don't think Universal started to draw any crowds away from Disney because of their thrill rides. While The Hulk, Spiderman, and The Mummy are awesome, Universal didn't meet (or possibly surpass) Disney's standards until Harry Potter arrived. It's still the theming and the story that attracted visitors to Universal, not thrill rides (IMO).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by yankeesfan123 View Post
    I like the idea of a thrill ride park, especially because I consider myself a part of that core demographic.

However, it goes completely against the fundamental principle behind Disney parks. Walt wanted somewhere for adults to bring their kids that both could enjoy. A theme park aimed at teens and 20 something's wouldn't fit that philosophy. (IMO).
    I understand your concern, but disagree. For many families, dragging around bored teenagers is not the happy family togetherness that Walt envisioned. Families are different and their idea of entertainment is different than when Walt was envisioning his park. I think Walt was enough of a visionary to see that his parks would adapt after he was gone.
    "Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be." - Abraham Lincoln

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: