Quantcast Need some help planning..

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Need some help planning..

Hi everyone,
    Me and my wife are considering take our 3 yr old to Disney World this year. Just want to make some memories with him at one of our favorite places.

My wife is kind of wishy washy about going just because we've been to DW and DL a handful of times the past few years. 2009 was the last time in Disney World. We took our 3 yr old to DL when he turned 2 and 6 months later. Both trips were kind of power trips. 1st trip being 3 days and the 2nd being just a weekend (nephews bday surprise).

I've talked my wife into going to Disney World for about 4-5 days. I really just want to relax at the hotel and swim. And take our times at the parks. Maybe even do a water park. We've stayed at the Poly the last few times but wanted something different. Will it be worth to consider the Epcot resorts? We want to make sure the Epcot resorts are as magical as the Poly. We love the Monorail resorts.!

Next thing is the time of year. We talked about late April or early May but want to consider October too. I found some good deals for us in late April/May but October seems like a nice time to go.

Last thing. I really wanted to go back to DL this Thanksgiving but my wife said its one trip only. Would you guys rather do DL during Thanksgiving?

I know I'm all over the place but I just want to get some Intercot input.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Okay, First of all, my kids call me Pollyanna.
    You are going with your son, so no matter which resort you stay in will be magical. Even if you have been to DW many many times, taking a young child is so much fun. I think everyone responding will have a diffferent favorite resort. Ours happens to be WL, but I have stayed at values, mods and deluxe and each has its own charm. October is a great month, and it used to have a low crowd value. However, thanks to sites like this, (LOL) the secret is out, and last October was a bit more crowded.
    Live Life Joyfully!
    [FONT="Arial Narrow"][SIZE="2"]'73 - DL;
    '78, '89 - DW -off property;
    '94, 00, '07 - Dixie Landing; '96 - CBR; '98 - CSR;
    '99 - Disney Cruise;
    '01 - WL Christmas Celebration; '03, '06, '12, '13
    '10 POFQ; '11 POP (2x)

7.37 miles from WDW. My retirement dream come true!
    Post Thanks / Like

I also suggest October because you can take your son to his very first Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party....so much fun!!!!!

Oh, and I'm a Wilderness Lodge girl as well....but I would suggest any of the monorail resports because with a little one you never know when you're going to need a break....either for him or you and your DW!

Enjoy
    I LOVE DISNEY WORLD!!!!!
    A dream is a wish your heart makes and mine came true when I retired here in December 2014! I go to a park at least once a week!

Post Thanks / Like

If you are concerned about crowd levels, you may find that early May has comparable, if not less, crowds - with just a bit more heat involved. But October really is a beautiful time in Orlando. But yes, I am definitely in agreement with making it a 4 or 5 day trip (or longer!) if you want to relax a little bit. The world is a BIG place to do on just a 2 or 3 day trip, especially with a little one. I always advise anyway to take as much time as you can. Usually my stays are between 4 and 6 days, but I have done an 8 day trip before, and that was PURE heaven. LOL Whatever you decide, enjoy that Disney magic!
    "por favor mantengase alejado de las puertas!"

"There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of every day!"

Post Thanks / Like

We have a 3.5 YO, and have taken him every year to WDW. We usually stay at AKL, have stayed at both Jambo and Kidani, and love it for him. It seems to be more quiet and less crowded, and he always has tons of room to explore and run around, and its so cool to see animals outside of your window. He loves the AKL. We did stay at Saratoga Springs this past time in a 2 bedroom, and really loved it as well. We were able to walk to Downtown Disney, and enjoyed the beautiful grounds. Again, he loved the playground and the villa was huge, plenty of room to relax in.

We've taken him to MVMCP and also MNSSHP and he loved the parties. I'd think early October would be good. Or we usually do mid September. The halloween party is so much fun. He also enjoys riding the bus and monorail about as much as he does the parks right now, so we'll usually make a day of a character meal at Ohana or Chef Mickey's, then ride around. Also he absolutely loved T-Rex at DD. He played in the dig pit for an hour. That was probably his favorite place to go. We didn't have reservations, but just walked up and had about a 10 minute wait.

So far this has been a great age to take him. He loves it!

Have fun!
    1980-2001 CR;CBR 2001 AKL 2002 AKL 2003 AKL 2004 AKL; CB; AKL 2007 WL 2008 AKL 9/09 AKL Jambo 12/10 AKL Kidani 9/11 AKL Kidani 9/12 AKL 12/12 AKL 5/13 AKL 12/13 SS 9/14 BLT 12/14 SS 2/15 Aulani DVC 7/15 CBR 10/15 Yacht Club 12/16 DS 7/17 Aulani 01/19 POR 08/19 Yacht Club

Post Thanks / Like

As far as Epcot resorts go just keep in mind that October is the Food and Wine festivel so those may be a bit more crowded.
    * stayed at more then once
    Yacht Club, POR, POFQ,CSR,All Star Sports*,
    CBR,Pop Century*,CR,WL,FortWilderness* Animal Kingdom lodge,All Star Music*.

Post Thanks / Like

Consider the Art of Animation suites as well. This will provide more privacy as it has both a trundle bed and a pull out couch in the living room and a separate bedroom for the parents. There are also two bathrooms and the theming would certainly appeal to a 3 year old.

I've stayed at both Beach Club and Boardwalk and greatly enjoyed both. At heart, I'm more of a Magic Kingdom area kind of girl. The Epcot area resorts are certainly a great pick for adult parties though,with a 3 year old, the park of choice will likely be Magic Kingdom. If you decide to stay in that area, Wilderness Lodge would be a wonderful alternative to the Poly. It's not on the monorail but there is boat service to the Magic Kingdom.

Since you're looking for a more relaxed trip, you might also consider Animal Kingdom Lodge. It's quite some distance from the Magic Kingdom but if your child likes animals, the ability to watch them right from your room is quite nice.
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by retiredfigment View Post
    Okay, First of all, my kids call me Pollyanna.
    You are going with your son, so no matter which resort you stay in will be magical. Even if you have been to DW many many times, taking a young child is so much fun. I think everyone responding will have a diffferent favorite resort. Ours happens to be WL, but I have stayed at values, mods and deluxe and each has its own charm. October is a great month, and it used to have a low crowd value. However, thanks to sites like this, (LOL) the secret is out, and last October was a bit more crowded.
    Quote Originally Posted by WishingStar2006 View Post
    I also suggest October because you can take your son to his very first Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party....so much fun!!!!!

Oh, and I'm a Wilderness Lodge girl as well....but I would suggest any of the monorail resports because with a little one you never know when you're going to need a break....either for him or you and your DW!

Enjoy
    As you may be able to tell I am biased and think that the WL is the best especially with young children. If you want to hang at the pool and have a wonderful time there is no better environment. Planned and supervised activities for the kids in and out of the water from daylight till dark and like the Poly it's proximity to MK (where most of the rides for a 3.5 year old would be) is just a short boat ride away. We started taking our DD there when she had just turned 4 and had only planned to stay 8 days as my DW was like yours somewhat apprehensive, but on our 8th day my wife asked if possible could we see if we could stay a extra day or 2 as our daughter was loving every minute. Needless to say I sprinted down to the front desk and begged them to let us keep our room for another day or 2. After the CM who was helping me finally caught her breath from laughing so hard as she rarely had such a request in such a manner all was arranged and I got to hear "WELCOME HOME" for 2 more days! I think in these days where we are all pegged at a level 10 on the stress meter, you should take the time to enjoy being with your family and just sit by the pool and remember why you work so hard the rest of the year.

I hope you enjoy your trip no matter where you choose to stay.

Just remember TO GO!
    Feb 2020 - FWC
    Jul 2019 - Poly
    2018 - WL - CL
    2017 - FWC
    2016 - WL

2012 - WL - CL
    2010 - WL
    2009 - WL
    2007 - WL
    2003 - WL
    2001 - FWC
    1974, 77, 83 & 1995 - Off site

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replies everyone,

I just want to add me and wife have been to Disney World 4 times or so but this will be our first time with a 3 yr old.

I'm looking hard at a Sept-Oct trip. I want the Seven Dwarfs ride to be done and maybe check out Harry Potter at Universal.

With that said I'm leaning towards The Contemporary Resort. My wife wants to try it out and I think any Monorail resort will save us a little headache traveling w/ a 3 yr old. And being able to walk from MK is nice.

Does the Comtemporary have 'Daily Activities' for kids? I know the Poly & WL does.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: