Quantcast Allow me to rant for a minute

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Allow me to rant for a minute

Am I the only person who is just a little upset that as we sit here and try to figure out how all this my magic+ stuff works, Universal will be opening the second part of Harry Potterland this summer. The videos and concept art look mind blowing and Disney is pushing us to buy doodads for our magic bands. If the Seven Dwarves coaster ever opens it's already been beat by Potter. As a Disney fan it drives me nuts. During my last trip a few weeks ago it felt like there was less and less to do in the parks. Disney's stock price is sky high, they have just purchased Star Wars, Indy, and Marvel so naturally they build Avartar land first. Can they please invest in some new rides and have them built before 2035? Serenity Now!
    Run Disney 2014
    Pop Century 2012
    Disneyland 2012
    Dolphin 2011
    Wilderness Lodge 2010
    All Star Music 2009
    Pop Century 2007
    Polynesian Resort May 2007
    Caribbean Beach Resort Christmas 2005
    Pop Century 2004
    All Star Sports 2001
    Boardwalk Inn 2000
    Polynesian Resort 1996
    Off-Site 1990

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah - I totally get that.
    "Is there a 12 step program for this Mouse addiction?"

Next Trips:

11/18-11/29 Destination D:Amazing Adventures!! GF for two nights then Caribbean Beach with free dining...

Post Thanks / Like

I have to say I kinda feel the same way right now. Our last Disney trip, in November, was my least favorite Disney trip ever. Don't get me wrong, we had an enjoyable time, but there wasn't anything memorable about the trip.

While we are excited about the mine coaster, it's nothing compared to our excitement about the new potter stuff at Universal. If we return to Orlando this year it will be for a Universal only trip. Never thought I would say that......

For the first time in over 9 years we have no intentions of visiting Disney this year. I don't know if we simply need a break, but I feel we need to give it some time to hopefully restore the magic we once felt. Maybe it's just us being burnt out, maybe it's because Disney has become "stale", I don't really know. But I do know we won't spend the amount of money we've spent over the last few years for the experience we had in November. It just didn't feel worth it to us. Sad, but true.

To be fair, we had several newbies with us and they were BLOWN AWAY by everything in Disney. So maybe it is just us. Maybe we have been too often over the past few years and that's why the magic has diminished for us. Maybe a nice, long break is all we need.
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Next Trip: ???

Post Thanks / Like

Preach!

Post Thanks / Like

We're doing 2 or 3 days at the end of our trip in March at Universal. I have a feeling it's going to be the same for us. I'm so frustrated right now trying to plan this trip and I usually love planning.
    10/89 honeymoon off-site
    11/93 off-site last trip pre-child
    12/01 ASMovies first trip for kids
    10/04 POFQ
    02/09 Pop and first cruise on Wonder
    03/10 POFQ trip to see CFHS Tiger Band!
    03/14 VWL to see DD2 and the CFHS Tiger Band!

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with you to a point.

Here's the thing, though, for me at least.

I definitely want to see the HP stuff. I still haven't been to IOA since WWoHP opened up.

HOWEVER, in Universal Studios, that is the ONLY thing that interests me, for real. In IOA, there are a few rides that I like outside of WWoHP, so that park has more going for it, IMO. I remember my last trip to Universal Studios. I was SERIOUSLY underwhelmed and unimpressed. We were out of there within 3 hours.

It's cool that Universal is doing so much new stuff, but the place as a whole doesn't have the kind of appeal that would lead my FAMILY to spend a week there. There is absolutely nothing there for my kids right now.

On the other hand, all the FP+ garbage is really turning me off from WDW, at least for this year, until they finish testing and working out the kinks.

We will be heading to Disneyland this year instead! I might get down to Universal as I will be in Orlando for a few days this summer to help out my parents as they relocate there, and since I will be alone, I might finally get to check out the HP stuff. I will spend one day there, total, maybe 2 if I can get a cheap ticket.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

I'm one of the few people that could care less about Harry Potter
    I do look forward to what Disney has upcoming & think that the competition from universal will push them to develop more
    Too many trips to keep track of now! Vacation WDW twice a year so any questions ask freely ☺️

Post Thanks / Like

I feel the same way. The FP+ garbage and having to preplan everything has me so disgusted we don't even have a WDW trip in the works at all and I usually have vacation ideas in the works for 2 years out. I never thought I would be in this position as I have always been a huge fan and we have been to WDW multiple times a year many times and had AP's. We have been at least once a year for the last 13 years and have a year pin to prove it. lol

I am SO glad I didn't buy DVC. I almost bought in 2007, had the contract in front of me but decided to give it some more thought. I decided I couldn't predict the future and what the corporate side of Disney might do and my vacation plans might change. I would hate to be stuck with DVC right now.

This past weekend we were actually discussing trying Universal Orlando for the first time. It is beginning to look like our next trip to Orlando, probably in 2015, will be to Universal and Sea World.

The good news though is that with WDW being so messed up, we decided to finally go see Disneyland. We are going there this summer. I am so excited about not having to preschedule everything and not having to run all over the park messing with very many fastpasses that I can't hardly wait. It is going to be like old times at Magic Kingdom when you just showed up and started riding rides!

Maybe they will come to their senses and can all of this FP+ junk but who knows. All I know is that if I have to pre-plan my every move months in advance, I probably won't be visiting very often. I don't have the time or patience for all of it.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Yes I completely agree. Disney has sunk a $1.5 billion into this RIDICULOUS Fastpass+ nonsense all while Universal is pouring money into top quality attractions and park expansions.

I'm actually struggling to figure out how WDW management doesn't get that they're about to go down in flames?

I mean, except that they're clueless dolts lol
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CaptSmee View Post
    I'm one of the few people that could care less about Harry Potter
    It's not about caring about Potter (which I don't) it's the fact that the only thing on Universal's mind is top notch rides, rides, rides. Like Potter or not, Forbidden Journey is the best ride I have ever been on, and the theme is beautiful and massive. On top of that the new Simpsons land and Transformers rides are great, and they have more rides in the works.

Universal is building rides which bring more and more people into the parks, then they build new hotels for those new people to stay in. Disney is building hotel after hotel for DVC, cramming as many people in as they can and only offering a few good rides at 3 out of the 4 parks. AK, DHS, and Epcot need at least 2 new E ticket rides ASAP. There is only so much I can drink at Epcot.
    Run Disney 2014
    Pop Century 2012
    Disneyland 2012
    Dolphin 2011
    Wilderness Lodge 2010
    All Star Music 2009
    Pop Century 2007
    Polynesian Resort May 2007
    Caribbean Beach Resort Christmas 2005
    Pop Century 2004
    All Star Sports 2001
    Boardwalk Inn 2000
    Polynesian Resort 1996
    Off-Site 1990

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SlinkyDog View Post
    Serenity Now!
    Well you just got me thinking just how amazing a Firefly Land would be.

/dream
    Trista and Jeffrey
    Happily Ever After 10-30-11
    Disney Wedding Pavilion

Post Thanks / Like

The OP is my hubby, and I agree with him
    I am the huge Harry Potter fan in the family, I just drag him along with me .
    Where Universal really has Disney beat in recent years is that they make these huge announcements and then the lands/rides themselves are never that far behind, and they totally live up to expectations. As far as little kids go, I would agree that Universal isn't as "family friendly" per say, but for any one who is tall enough to ride coasters/thrill rides, Universal is taking the prize. I hadn't been to Universal since I was kid, but we spent 2 days there in 2010 shortly after Wizarding World opened, and I really enjoyed myself at both parks. Spiderman is still better than almost anything at Disney, and yes, Forbidden Journey is the best ride I've ever ridden. The specs on the new Gringotts coaster make it seem like it's going to be even better.

Hollywood Studios is a Half day park hands down. As repeat visitors, I don't even remember the last time we waited around for a show. Animal Kingdom will have more going for it with Avatarland but how long ago was that announced and they JUST broke ground this month! Also, as cool as it looks, it's not an additional draw. Countless people will come to see the Potter expansion just because it's Potter. Avatar doesn't have that same potential.

As adults, we spend a lot of time in World Showcase enjoying the ambiance, but Future World needs a lot of help.
    I definitely think our next Orlando trip will be Universal-centric.
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

I have been saying WDW has been doing absolutely NOTHING.... I been trying to tell you all how pathetic WDW is being run... But, people don't ever want to hear bad things about WDW... Disney is resting on its laurels in Orlando... They force feed nostalgia... That only lasts so long... And now, looking around on the different WDW fansites, I would say the negativity toward WDW has gone up, and probably is now about 50/50 (some boards the negativity rules the conversations)...

People are finally starting to wake up to what many of us have been saying for a year or two or three now... WDW IS STALE!!!! And will remain that way cause Iger, Staggs, Meg, and the rest of the brainless morons just don't care about WDW...

All they know how to do in WDW is cut offerings to guests, cut entertainment, shut rides/restaurants with no replacements, and just keep on cutting all the while raising prices... 10-15 years ago, 20 years ago, you got your money worth... Today?? Not so much... People need to step back and stop being brand advocates for a company who looks at you as an ATM machine.. THEY DON'T CARE ABOUT YOU!!!!!
    Son of Jor-El.. Kneel before Zod...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Yes I completely agree. Disney has sunk a $1.5 billion into this RIDICULOUS Fastpass+ nonsense all while Universal is pouring money into top quality attractions and park expansions.

I'm actually struggling to figure out how WDW management doesn't get that they're about to go down in flames?

I mean, except that they're clueless dolts lol
    $2.5 billion but who is counting...
    Son of Jor-El.. Kneel before Zod...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

Post Thanks / Like

I have been reading about all of this mess as well. One theory on another board which kind of makes sense is that Disney doesn't care about the frequent visitors. They are trying to add value to their parks to new visitors by having them "Lock In" attractions, because it adds value. Almost to an "exclusive" mindset. Even on attractions that we don't see as not needing fp. By locking in an attraction it must me a very important attraction. Their idea is "if it is exclusive" families will not want to go anywhere else. That is why we are seeing fp for Fantasmic, parades, and fireworks. We see those as "why would you need a fp for that?" But those who are first time visitors do not know that. Also, for making their attractions seem exclusive these new guests will pay more and stay longer.
    That is just what I am reading out there. Disney is sacrificing its loyal guests for new ones.
    "There's enough land here to hold all the ideas and dreams that we could possibly imagine."-Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

I am actually really apprehensive about our upcoming trip because of FP+. We're doing 3 nights in Disney and 2 at Universal, and I can see us doing more Universal in the future and less WDW. I haven't even experienced FP+ yet and our trip isn't until May but I'm already stressing about what FP times are optimal for our touring plans. Just when I got us weaned off of ADRs for every day of our trip and am truly in a "go with the flow" mode! If it's a seriously negative experience, our future visits will definitely be impacted.

We might plan a trip to CA in 2015, to see where it all began, but the next WDW trip isn't on the horizon (and there's always one on the horizon).
    Christi

2014: May--POR & US/IOA; Nov--POR (1st rD--JJ5k!)
    2013: May--POR
    2012: Jun--POP; Aug--POP/Hard Rock
    2011: Aug/Sept--US/IOA; Nov--POFQ
    2010: Dec--CSR
    2009: Sept--Poly GVCL
    2008: Sept--POFQ
    2007: Jan/Feb--POR; Sept: POFQ
    2004: Oct--CSR
    1987: off-site

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe they Disney is planning a perfect NCAA bracket? At least they could get a billion back.
    My Disney Homes Away From Home!

Caribbean Beach Resort - 1996, 2021
    All-Star Movies Resort - 2001
    Port Orleans French Quarter Resort - 2004
    All-Star Sports Resort - 2005, 2018 - 2019
    Disney Wonder - 2005
    Pop Century Resort - 2006, 2017
    Animal Kingdom Villas - 2013
    Coronado Springs Resort - 2019

Post Thanks / Like

Obviously being a Disney board most of us are inclined to like Disney more, but it really is a stark contrast when you compare the amount of money Disney has spent to give us FP+/MagicBands/MME and Universal has spent to give us actual rides.

At the end of the day, guest revenue is what really talks. I see a lot of people who claim they're not renewing their APs (some have even made this statement year after year) or they're not going back (again some that have been saying this year after year), but then you pick up in their posts that they've still been going back or they still have an upcoming trip planned. I know some people have legitimately given up on Disney, but until enough people actually follow-through on those threats to stop going that it starts hitting Disney in the pocket-book we shouldn't expect much change.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm the lone one who thinks Disney is still better than Universal. I went once, hated it, will never go back.
    Disney by far rocks my socks off, even 15 years later [since moving to Florida and going all the time.]

I don't care for Harry Potter so the new addition doesn't impress me any no matter how elaborate.

I'm not saying Disney doesn't need new things. I just don't "get" Universal. I'm not all about rides though. I'm all escaping reality so I adore the fantasy that Disney has always given me.

So in that, the more people that go to Universal, mean less waiting for me and my family so have at it

P.S.- though I'm not a fan of the FP+ as a Florida Resident. We don't even have bands yet and I think the FL resident AP holders should have been the first.
    Terra - Wife, mother, special needs teacher. Disney addict! °o°

Advocate for my 2 sons. David: Auto-immune disorder. Praying for remission!ASD/SPD & Aaron: ADHD/Anxiety/ASD. Life makes us stronger!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Terra View Post
    I'm the lone one who thinks Disney is still better than Universal. I went once, hated it, will never go back.
    Disney by far rocks my socks off, even 15 years later [since moving to Florida and going all the time.]

I don't care for Harry Potter so the new addition doesn't impress me any no matter how elaborate.

I'm not saying Disney doesn't need new things. I just don't "get" Universal. I'm not all about rides though. I'm all escaping reality so I adore the fantasy that Disney has always given me.

So in that, the more people that go to Universal, mean less waiting for me and my family so have at it

P.S.- though I'm not a fan of the FP+ as a Florida Resident. We don't even have bands yet and I think the FL resident AP holders should have been the first.
    You are not alone. I love the detail that Disney puts to their attractions. I think everyone on this board loves Disney or they wouldn't be here. I just think most are concerned on where Disney is headed. I agree Disney made a big snafu on the AP issue. I think the way this whole thing was rolled out was one big mess. I do believe though that it will take a long time for UNi/IOA to catch up to an inkling to what Disney is. As Walt said at Disneyland's tenth anniversary "We cannot rest on our laurels." Disney the company needs to heed that warning.
    "There's enough land here to hold all the ideas and dreams that we could possibly imagine."-Walt Disney

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: