Quantcast Allow me to rant for a minute - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Quadstriker View Post
    Well you just got me thinking just how amazing a Firefly Land would be.

/dream
    I'm on board with that, loved that short-lived show.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

This is a great thread. Most boards I go on, like IMDb, if you dare criticize something someone loves, wholely cow, it rains down on you like a ton of bricks.

My MJ travel agent had a facebook post with the Universal updates on Diagon Alley, and all I can say is, Disney is in for a serious butt-kicking, and from what I can tell, about their only response can be is "thank you sir, may I have another".

For us, with 3 dd, ages 7-8-11, Universal might still be a few years away as a family. I haven't researched height/age requirements for some of the rides, but I have a feeling my youngest and maybe middle one would be excluded. But I never thought I'd say this, as I was a bit underwhelmed by Universal 10-15 years ago (except for Spidey), but I'm more excited by what Universal is offering than what Disney is. Is the Gringotts ride going to be the same as the Dwarf's mine ride?

Fortunately for us, the whole WDW experience, staying on property, soaking in the surroundings and not just the 4 parks is still part of the allure that I don't yet perceive at Universal but as they would say in Mary Poppins, I think the winds may be a chang'n.

If we pull off a trip late this year, I would give very serious consideration to pulling at least 1 if not 2 days out of Disney for Universal.

Post Thanks / Like

I have to agree. We will still go every three or four years but IMHO there are other places to go and spend my money.

I am way annoyed over this new MyMagic whatever. I don't understand why they spent a ton of money on something that wasn't broken yet they don't fix the stuff that is.
    Too many trips to count!
    Disneyland!
    DisneyWorld!
    Disneyland Paris!
    Coming soon Tokyo!
    [SIZE=4][/SIZE

I have stayed at: All Star Movies, All Star Music, Pop Century, Art of Animation, Port Orleans Riverside, Caribbean Beach Resort, Saratoga Springs Resort

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, and as Disney begins to price themselves out of the market they seem to forget that the public expects a better return for their dollar to boot.

Post Thanks / Like

We are creatures of habit, so when something new comes along that we don't understand we are HIGHLY skeptical. I say let the Fastpass+ stuff play out. I kind of like the idea of not having to half-sprint and throw elbows at rope drop getting to some of these attractions (like TSM) to get Fast Passes.

I think a lot of these concerns are partly from burnout and oversaturation. I read these boards and see all these posters that go every year, sometimes multiple times a year. The wife and I don't get to go nearly that much and everytime we get to, it's super exciting.

We had early reservations at Crystal Palace and were walking around Main St before park opening one morning. We came upon a group of new CM's that were apparently in some kind of training/orientation tour. We slid ourselves to the edge of the group and listened. We heard the leader of the group say that Disney owned enough land inside the resort to hold 4 more Parks. I don't know if anything is in the works or not, but the space is available.

I'm still holding out for an "Evil Park" that is mostly thrill rides and geared toward us older thrill seekers....kinda like a Disney-themed Cedar Point. All the rides would be associated with the "bad guys" of Disney . Just my opinion, but nobody has asked me yet.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Wow

Quote Originally Posted by 1DisneyNut View Post
    I am SO glad I didn't buy DVC...
    Of all the things people have said on this thread and others like it this should be the thing that catches somebody's attention.

I can tell you how many times we have stayed at WDW in the past 5 years but what's going on at WDW doesn't lead me to want to commit to going there as often as we have in the past,

I'm still hoping this whole thing will calm down and we'll be saying, "Remember back when they tried that thing where you couldn't get FPs for Soarin and TT on the same days?" "Yeah, that was a short lived mistake."

Post Thanks / Like

Stale is exactly the right word. As has been stated, we are all obviously Disney fans to be on this board to begin with. Believe me, we are definitely in that "sucker" class who probably won't STOP going to Disney... but where we previously spent all our days on Disney property, we won't allow ourselves to be stuck in the mouse trap in the future. As was mentioned in this thread, this is what Disney wants- From the Magical Express (Hey, we'll pick up your luggage and transport you for free so you don't even think about renting a car!) to the My Magic + planning every detail of your trip- they are trying to trap people rather than give more reasons to stay. I found Brian Roberts' (Comcast CEO) recent quotes very interesting. He says Comcast Universal is "doubling down on theme parks...We think that there is a lot of 'there' there in the theme-park business for many years to come and that we have a low market share — and only one way to go." Strong words.

Coach Goofy- yes, Disney has lots of land, but they need to work on their current parks before they even think of opening a brand new one.
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mickclub1955 View Post
    You are not alone. I love the detail that Disney puts to their attractions. I think everyone on this board loves Disney or they wouldn't be here. I just think most are concerned on where Disney is headed. I agree Disney made a big snafu on the AP issue. I think the way this whole thing was rolled out was one big mess. I do believe though that it will take a long time for UNi/IOA to catch up to an inkling to what Disney is. As Walt said at Disneyland's tenth anniversary "We cannot rest on our laurels." Disney the company needs to heed that warning.
    I get what your saying. And I realize that it's based on opinion too and we all won't agree 100%.

I guess for me, I've been going for 15 years [live 45 minutes from it], one or twice a month [and then some over nighters/vacations] and I'm not sick of it, I don't think it's lacking that badly. It's still an exciting time and I continually discover new things when I go. Again though that's just me.
    Terra - Wife, mother, special needs teacher. Disney addict! °o°

Advocate for my 2 sons. David: Auto-immune disorder. Praying for remission!ASD/SPD & Aaron: ADHD/Anxiety/ASD. Life makes us stronger!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Yes I completely agree. Disney has sunk a $1.5 billion into this RIDICULOUS Fastpass+ nonsense all while Universal is pouring money into top quality attractions and park expansions.

I'm actually struggling to figure out how WDW management doesn't get that they're about to go down in flames?

I mean, except that they're clueless dolts lol
    And what has Iger and company been saying? They are happy with the way things are going. As noted in various earnings calls and statements, reveenue is predicted to increase at WDW because:

1) Prices for food, lodging, entertaiment and admissions are going to continue to increase.

2) Discounts are going to be fewer.

3) Special events with additional costs will be tested and added.

4) Overseas guest visits are increasing, so any flat or downward USA guest trending will be offset.

5) There will be a continued push to maximize revenue on a daily basis from each guest.

So that is what we can all look forward to.
    5/21 SSR & BCV
    11/19 Copper Creek Villas
    5/17 - Boardwalk Villas & Swan
    10/14 Legacy Villas
    10/11 & 12 Coronado Springs
    1981 - 2010 Offsite
    1974,76,78 Fort Wilderness
    8/87 - 05 Disneyland

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mickclub1955 View Post
    I have been reading about all of this mess as well. One theory on another board which kind of makes sense is that Disney doesn't care about the frequent visitors. They are trying to add value to their parks to new visitors by having them "Lock In" attractions, because it adds value. Almost to an "exclusive" mindset. Even on attractions that we don't see as not needing fp. By locking in an attraction it must me a very important attraction. Their idea is "if it is exclusive" families will not want to go anywhere else. That is why we are seeing fp for Fantasmic, parades, and fireworks. We see those as "why would you need a fp for that?" But those who are first time visitors do not know that. Also, for making their attractions seem exclusive these new guests will pay more and stay longer.
    That is just what I am reading out there. Disney is sacrificing its loyal guests for new ones.
    That's what I've seen as well. I'm sure that marketing has figured that the
    new visitors/ once every 4-5 years visitor is what their research has found is the most profitable market segment for WDW. That's why marketing for WDW is different than Disneyland; the demographic is different.

Quote Originally Posted by dnickels View Post
    At the end of the day, guest revenue is what really talks. I see a lot of people who claim they're not renewing their APs (some have even made this statement year after year) or they're not going back (again some that have been saying this year after year), but then you pick up in their posts that they've still been going back or they still have an upcoming trip planned. I know some people have legitimately given up on Disney, but until enough people actually follow-through on those threats to stop going that it starts hitting Disney in the pocket-book we shouldn't expect much change.
    100% agree.

/dream
    Well, Nathan Fillion does work for Disney now. They have had some funny Firefly references on Castle.
    Christine ºoº

Intercot Staff-Accommodations, Dining, Guests with Special Needs

Please support Intercot's Sponsors

Post Thanks / Like

/dream
    YES!!! Original cast can do the grand opening, if Fillion can get away from Castle for a week.
    My name is Gator. You killed my Sorcerer's Hat. Prepare to die.

DL 2-17,8-17, 11-17; DL 2016; DL 11-2015; DL-DL-Hotel 2-2015; DL 2014; DL-Paradise Pier 2013; POFQ Dec 2012; CSR - Jan 2011; AKL-Kidani - Jan 2010; A.S.Mov - Dec 2008; CSR - Dec 2006; DL Feb 2006; CBR - Feb 2004; POR - Jun 2002

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by buzznwoodysmom View Post
    I have to say I kinda feel the same way right now. Our last Disney trip, in November, was my least favorite Disney trip ever.

To be fair, we had several newbies with us and they were BLOWN AWAY by everything in Disney. So maybe it is just us. Maybe we have been too often over the past few years and that's why the magic has diminished for us. Maybe a nice, long break is all we need.
    It's called the Law of Diminishing Return. The first time you experience something, it's just amazing. The second time can be equal to, or even greater than, the original experience because you know what you're getting and the anticipation alone is a huge source of satisfaction. But after a while, the Return on Investment becomes less and less as you become very familiar with the experience.

I felt the exact same way on my last WDW trip. That's why we went to DL last trip, to experience something new. And it really was fantastic! DL may have broken the WDW addiction - at least for a little while.
    My name is Gator. You killed my Sorcerer's Hat. Prepare to die.

DL 2-17,8-17, 11-17; DL 2016; DL 11-2015; DL-DL-Hotel 2-2015; DL 2014; DL-Paradise Pier 2013; POFQ Dec 2012; CSR - Jan 2011; AKL-Kidani - Jan 2010; A.S.Mov - Dec 2008; CSR - Dec 2006; DL Feb 2006; CBR - Feb 2004; POR - Jun 2002

Post Thanks / Like

I'm on board with most of you guys. We still love Disney and always will. But as our boys became teenagers, we started visiting US/IOA also, and I have to say that the big attractions there, especially the new ones, FJ included, blow most of the Disney rides/attraction away. Yes Disney has some fabulous ones, but most of them are old, old, old (Space Mtn., Splash). TSM is the only new one that competes with US/IOA's newer attractions as far as state-of-the-art ride tech and excitement.
    I still think that WDW is better at immersing you into the magical fantasy world, but if you are into big coasters and other excitement, then WDW better get busy fast if it wants to lure customers away from US/IOA parks. As of right now, it's the other way around, WDW is losing customers to them.
    I too love the grand old favorites of DIsney, like Splash Mountains; (IOA's water flume is not even in the same league), but there's nothing at WDW that compares with Spiderman, Hulk, Dueling Dragons, Mummy, Simpsons, RR&R, Transformers, and expecially Forbidden Journey. And now with the upcoming the Gringott's attraction, Disney's response is the 7 Dwarves mine coaster. I hope it's really good, but it should have been created and opened 20 years ago (Disney's Snow White was 37 years old when MK opened).
    They should be opening a new e-ticket attraction every couple of years instead of once every 6-7 years. The last two really good ones, TSM - opened more than 5 years ago, and EE opened 8 years ago. Everything else is over 10 years old or is just a re-working of a previous attraction (Stitch, Monster's Laugh floor, Star Tours, etc.)
    I love Disney World, I just wish they'd get on the stick. And I'm hoping the mine coaster will be great, but I'm starting to wonder.
    1971 (age 15) MK was new!
    1974 off-site (Senior Trip)
    1982 off-site
    1988 off-site
    May 2002 AS-Sports, with DW & kids
    May 2004 Pop Century
    Feb 2005 Wilderness Lodge
    Oct 2006 Pop Century
    Oct 2008 Camped at Fort Wilderness
    Feb 2010 Cruise on the Wonder
    Dec 2014 POFQ for Christmas!

Post Thanks / Like

IMHO
    I don't have regrets to buying DVC.. We will always vacation somewhat Disney related.

I agree.. some things could be improved, changed, new exciting things, however, different strokes for different folks.

If rides are your thing, Universal seems to be the place to go, just not my interest.

All of that being said, we are staying for a week on Disney grounds, however, only headed to one park for one day, compared to the normal 4. I too am a bit disgusted by the bands and the trouble we had with them in October, so were changing things up. We'll head to Clearwater for a day, other Orlando attractions for 3 days, then do our shopping for food/restaurants off the grounds for most of the meals.

I know the little bit we spend will not impact the bottom dollar for Disney, but I am ready for a different kind of Disney vacation.
    2016 May AULANI, 2015, Oct F&W Poly
    2015 May SSR, 2014 BCV 2013 Oct-F&WF POR,2013 May-BLT,
    2012 AKL-Kidani/SSR,2011 BLT/OKW,2010 POR,2009 POR,
    2008 CBR,2005 POR/AKL,2003 CBR,2001 POR/AKL,2000 OffSite

Post Thanks / Like

We went for a day to ioa and hated it. The Harry potter experience ride was broken and everything else was <snip> for us. Thrill rides or kiddie rides, nothing in between or interesting. Now the extended Harry potter is in the other park and so if we were interested in seeing it we'd. Have to get a pass for both parks since we never even got to see the original ride.
    Last edited by Ian; 01-25-2014 at 01:28 PM. Reason: Per TOS

Post Thanks / Like

I didnt say a bad word, but it blocked it out, so I'll say our visit to ioa was less than pleasant.

Post Thanks / Like

Long time lurker here. Been going to Disney every year, at least once a year, since 1989. 35+ visits.

After the debacle of my last trip in November of 12 when the computers went down and I was forced to pay OOP for everything until the computers came back up and my paid off reservations could be accessed, I lost my desire to return. I was treated like a number rather than the loyal customer I was. I haven't been back. (and this coming from a person who ran the marathon 9 years straight.)

Now reading all the less than stellar reviews of FP+ and being totally, completely, and unequivocally against planning every detail of my vacation 180 days out, I have no desire to return to WDW. None. Zip. Zilch. Nada.

I am afraid that TDO has decided they don't give a rip about loyal, return guests (who know how to maximize their enjoyment to dollar ratio) in favor of clueless one time visitors who allow themselves to be raked over the coals for every penny.

Post Thanks / Like

I have never seen a Harry Potter movie and haven’t been to Universal for probably 20 years, but they seem to have the right idea! I find the whole new FP thing confusing and don’t have a smart phone. The money spent is just insane. How much merchandise has to be sold to pay for this and the new pop machines!! I don’t care about Marvel or Avatarland either.
    Jack Sparrow: Hide the rum

91-98 Off property
    ASMusic-99
    POFQ-01 Wildfires
    ASMovies-02,03
    Pop-04 Hurricane Jeanne
    Pop-05 Tropical Storm Arlene
    Pop-09,10,11
    Sports-12
    Pop-15

Post Thanks / Like

The fast pass system at universal is to pay an extra $25 or so per day's ticket to get in express line (no assigned times). When we were there 3 years ago the express lines in the Harry potter section were still 30 minutes or more. Rest of the park wasn't crowded and wouldn't need the express line.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coach Goofy View Post
    I think a lot of these concerns are partly from burnout and oversaturation. I read these boards and see all these posters that go every year, sometimes multiple times a year. The wife and I don't get to go nearly that much and everytime we get to, it's super exciting.
    I understand what you're saying, but burnout and oversaturation are not the reasons that I am choosing Universal as the destination for our next Orlando trip. I would be more than happy to visit the WDW that I love; the carefree place where you can relax and immerse yourself in the magic. But the MME stuff has tainted that experience for me, or at least the way it is right now. I am a planner by nature, but even I think that Disney is forcing people to over-plan and over-complicate their vacations. That is a pretty serious statement coming from someone like me! They've been going that direction for a number of years, it's true, and I've adjusted. But I've finally reached my tipping point. I think it's safe to say that many of us "long-timers" are feeling a bit alienated at the moment, and Universal will help fill the void.

BTW, for those of you that haven't been to Universal in recent years (say, the last five or so), it might be worth it to check it out again. They really do have some phenomenal rides and it sounds like they have plans for more. And truthfully, I am not a Harry Potter fan, but Forbidden Journey is an awesome ride!
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: