Quantcast Comcast CEO: Universal will compete aggressively with Disney - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by big blue and hairy View Post
    I agree that Universal is doing some big things lately, but the whole story makes me laugh. It's just a typical nothing story if you think about it. What do expect him to say? Oh no, we expect to continue being run over by DIsney, nothing's going to change there.....

Except they are backing it up with actions - which is more than many other industry players.
    John - aka. The Master Control Program
    Owner, Chairman & Chief Imagination Officer - INTERCOT

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I think its admirable that they try but they are a long, long way off from breaking into, what I'd imagine is, WDW's main market, young families.

We did both Universal parks on our trip a few weeks ago for the first time. If we had young children there was not even close to enough to keep them occupied for a full day, much less 3 or 4. If you aren't a "thrill" ride junkie or in my case couldn't be because of pregnancy, there's maybe enough for a full day, day and a half. And if simulators make you sick you might as well stay home. Without a night time show or any chance of late hours in the "off" season, we felt short changed on what we paid for the tickets versus what we got.

Harry Potter was very cool and most of it was very well done but I don't think its enough to carry the parks like they may want. At least it wouldn't be for our family.
    "One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation, right at the start of everything thats new, one little spark lights up for you!"

șoș

Mom to our little Prince Everett and Princess Adelaide
    August 2020 Caribbean Beach!
    Not all treasure is silver and gold, mate.

Post Thanks / Like

Universal doesn't have to dethrone Disney. They can whittle away at the sleeping giant and be very successful.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dulcee View Post
    I think its admirable that they try but they are a long, long way off from breaking into, what I'd imagine is, WDW's main market, young families.

We did both Universal parks on our trip a few weeks ago for the first time. If we had young children there was not even close to enough to keep them occupied for a full day, much less 3 or 4. If you aren't a "thrill" ride junkie or in my case couldn't be because of pregnancy, there's maybe enough for a full day, day and a half. And if simulators make you sick you might as well stay home. Without a night time show or any chance of late hours in the "off" season, we felt short changed on what we paid for the tickets versus what we got.

Harry Potter was very cool and most of it was very well done but I don't think its enough to carry the parks like they may want. At least it wouldn't be for our family.

I couldn't disagree with you more. We went to Universal for years with a small child that did not do thrill rides. In both parks we had enough to do for the entire day. My son would spend hours in the Curious George area alone, it's better than most waterpark water playgrounds. The same on the other side with IOA Jurassic Park play area. Add that to Seuss's Landing and all the rides in that area, Shrek, ET, Fievel's Playground, Despicable Me, the Animal Show, the Barney Show, Woody's kid coaster, Me Ship Olive, Pluto's Barges, Spiderman, all of the character interaction that doesn't take long lines and 30 mins out of your day each time you stop, etc., etc., etc. That's a lot without even throwing in HP Land or other middle of the road rides like Men in Black, The Simpson, Transformers...all of which had tons of young kids riding.

Universal is swarming with families with young kids.

And they do have a night time show now.

If you stopped to think about the Disney attractions you can match up a very similar Universal attraction for almost everyone....that is one up on it's Disney's counterpart.

Now if you are looking for a "Jungle Cruise" type ride to do over and over again.....well even small kids get bored with doing non-action attractions all day long....even my non-thrill ride son told me when he was 8 years old that he preferred Universal to Disney overall.

I get it....no matter what they do, some people will never let themselves fully enjoy Universal just because it is not Disney....and that's Ok but if you honestly look at attraction to attraction, Universal has surpassed Disney in the "WOW" factor and the use of modern tech to give it's guests a great experience that can keep you busy for at least 3 days at this point. It's no different than the people who go to Disney and can't find anything fun or worth the money they spent there to ever go back again.

If you want to dismiss all Universal has to offer then yes they aren't as good as Disney, they aren't as fun as Disney, their rides aren't as good as Disney, they aren't as family friendly as Disney, they don't consider what pregnant women can ride like Disney, their food isn't as good as Disney's, their hours aren't as good as Disney's, they aren't full day parks like Disney and on and on.

Oh and in October when we go to Disney...MK closes at either 5 or 7 each night. AK closes at 5 each night. DHS usually is closed by 7 each night and EPCOT closes at 9 each night. No late nights in the "off season" for us.
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dulcee View Post
    Funny thing about that is... Um, Harry Potter IS carrying the park... More so than they ever dreamed... Thanks to the boy who lived, Universal has new life... I know, WDW fans are scared cause they now see Universal out classing Disney everywhere... So they got to knock the new gold standard in theme park design (not me calling it that, but industry insiders who say Diagon Alley will be what everything going forward will be compared to)...

Quote Originally Posted by NJGIRL View Post
    Universal is swarming with families with young kids.
    This past October, I saw plenty of families smiling and having a great time in Universal.. Yes, I saw strollers... Just not as many strollers as WDW... Magic Kingdom has become a stroller parking lot... you have to constantly dodge out of the way of a stroller or else you'll get run over... Not fun and to much of a clutter... And unnecessary...
    And they do have a night time show now.
    A new night time show which will be receiving a freshener cause, you know, Universal is looking to keep things fresh and updated, not running the same boring show 20 years later...
    If you stopped to think about the Disney attractions you can match up a very similar Universal attraction for almost everyone....that is one up on it's Disney's counterpart.
    Stop that silly talk... Don't you know Universal is just another run down trashy Six Flags and only appeals to thugs, gangsters, and rowdy teenagers?????

no matter what they do, some people will never let themselves fully enjoy Universal just because it is not Disney
    Pixie dust, it is powerful... But Pixie Dust Syndrome can be cured...
    Son of Jor-El.. Kneel before Zod...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyFreak2002 View Post
    Pixie dust, it is powerful... But Pixie Dust Syndrome can be cured...
    Okay, now you know I really like what they're doing at Universal and really don't like the MM+ stuff at Disney World right now, but can we all lay off the references to "Pixie Dust Syndrome", "Drinking the Koolaid" and the like? It's condescending and not appropriate on the boards, IMO. Everyone's entitled to their own opinion.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MNNHFLTX View Post
    Okay, now you know I really like what they're doing at Universal and really don't like the MM+ stuff at Disney World right now, but can we all lay off the references to "Pixie Dust Syndrome", "Drinking the Koolaid" and the like? It's condescending and not appropriate on the boards, IMO. Everyone's entitled to their own opinion.
    Amen!

You know, apples and oranges are both fruits. Some people like apples more than oranges. Not everyone will think apples are better. People who like oranges don't get told there is something wrong with them.

Seriously, we all like what we like. End of story. No need to berate those who have different tastes.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

I have been drinking the WDW cool-aid since I have been a little girl watching Walt on Sunday nights. I love WDW.

But...I loved Universal during my first visit last year. And my kids did too. No, there wasn't the same nostalgia...but wow, great attractions, great shops, great theming...and that front of the line pass? WAY better than fast pass. My kids still talk about it. There is just a hungry, let us knock your socks off feeling in Universal. At WDW there is a bit of a...we know we've got you, let's price a three scoop sundae at 23.00 and see if you'll still pay for it- feeling. The gift shops have the same stuff you get in Walmart. There are clearly bean counters calculating how much money can be extracted, how much PLUS is really necessary to extract the money from our wallets.

Not that Universal is a bunch of non-profit humanitarians and that WDW is a crummy low budget affair, but I had a surprisingly wonderful time at Universal last time and plan to add a day, or two, next time. That would subtract a day, or two, from WDW. Love nostalgia, but Snow White was made long before my children were born and has no relevance to them whatsoever. We'll be watching to see who really "plusses" the guest experience and who excites us with the attractions, services, and ease of access.
    2017 WDW All Star Music/Universal RP
    2016 :(
    2015 Universal-Royal Pacific
    2014 :(
    2013 Fall: Wilderness Lodge
    2011-12 :(
    2010 French Quarter
    2009 Pop & AKL
    2008 Polynesian
    2007 ASM & BCR
    2006 AKL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1DisneyNut View Post
    They are getting a day or two out of us this summer for the very first time. (Well I should say first time in the park. We have visited City Walk a few times to eat because we can get into Universal's restaurants without having to make reservations 6 months ahead of time.) Not necessarily because of anything they are doing though.....it is Disney and the FP+ that has us trying something else. Disney is getting a few days out of us but at Disneyland instead of WDW and then we are trying Universal. If it goes well, we will be visiting Universal Orlando next year.

Between Universal stepping up efforts and adding to their parks along with WDW alienating their long time customers, I don't see any reason Universal can't steal away more market share. One of my cousins has been trying to talk me into visiting Universal Orlando for years. He loves the place and hasn't been back to WDW in probably 5 years.
    We've never been to Universal Studios. The air flight price would be the same if we flew to Orlando to go to Disney or Universal so we never contemplated it.

Yesterday, we talked for the first time of instead of flying down and spending nine or 10 days in WDW, how about we drive down to Orlando and spend four days in Universal to see what those parks have to offer. We're actually considering it.

Normally, we purchase APs and try to get two trips out of one purchase. (second trip nearly a year apart as I'm only free in the Fall.) AP prices have really risen. When we purchased APs in the past, it almost GUARANTEED a second trip the ensuing year for us.
    "Tickets are already paid. Let's go back!"

When we go this next time, we're just purchasing park hoppers. We won't feel "locked into" a second trip next year because we won't already have purchased tickets.

We may try Universal next year instead of Disney. And I think that's 1DisneyNut's and DizneyFreak's collective point.
    WDW - 99 Off Site
    WDW - 00 C.Springs, Wilderness
    WDW - 01 POFQ, Boardwalk
    WDW - 02 C.Beach, POFQ, AK Lodge
    WDW - 04 Riverside
    WDW - 05 C.Springs
    WDW - 07 Riverside
    WDW - 11 C.Beach
    WDW - 12 POFQ
    WDW - 14 Riverside
    WDW - 15 POFQ
    WDW - 19 Wilderness
    WDW - 20 C.Beach

Post Thanks / Like

We decided to add Universal to a Disney trip six years ago, when my kids were 12, 9 and 3. It was our first visit there, and we had heard all the stories about "not like Disney," indifferent CMs, too many thrill rides, etc. We were beyond pleasantly surprised by the beauty of the parks, the fun attractions for everyone, and the energy there. The CMs were great too.

Since then we feel like we will miss something if we don't visit Universal as well as the Disney parks. In fact, on our last trip, we skipped Animal Kingdom but not Universal. With the addition of Diagon Alley, Universal is a must-do for us.

There will never be a time, though, when we skip Disney completely for Universal. Call it whatever you want, but the Disney parks still have that "something" that will always be appealing to us.
    Many visits over 35+ years!
    DVC member since 2004 (SSR)

Stayed at: Bay Lake Tower, Polynesian, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge, Boardwalk, Beach Club, Dolphin, PO Riverside, AS Sports, AS Movies, Saratoga, Vero Beach, Hilton Head, Aulani, Disneyland Hotel, and Grand Californian.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: