Quantcast Park hopping during summer best way?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Park hopping during summer best way?

We will be going to the World during the last week of August 2014. It will be our first time going during the hot summer. I am treating the summer heat as a major factor in planning our days. I am wondering if it would be best to park hop everyday with a pool break in between hops. I just think it would be silly to take a break and then head BACK to the park we just left. I would be inclined to just stay then. Since we are staying at a MK resort, the MK would be the exception. But in terms of the other parks, do you think doing two parks a day with an afternoon break would be best for the hot August days?
    '74 Contemporary
    '76 Contemporary

'90 CBR
    '97 Off Site
    '00 Swan
    '05 GF
    '08 GF RPC
    '09 GF RPC-Short SURPRISE trip for kids
    '11 GF RPC

'12 Contemporary
    '14 GF RPC
    '15 DL VGC
    '16 VGF

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I thinks it's a very good idea.

It's a nice break in the day where you can cool off in the room or in the pool. I love going back to the room and just relaxing on the bed for 30 minutes with a nice glass of wine or a cold beer. Then I can shower, freshen up and change for the evening. It really gives us a second wind to enjoy a nice long evening at a park.

We never go during the summer, but I do remember a couple hot and humid September/October trips where a break at the room (and another shower) felt wonderful.
    NEXT TRIP - DCL Fantasy Oct. 2016
    Yacht Club - Oct. '14, Dec. '15
    Poly - Dec. '07, '09
    Grand Flo - Too many times to keep track!
    CBR - May '10, Oct. '10, Dec. '11
    POR - Sept & Dec '03
    AoA - Oct. '12, Dec. '13
    Pop - May '11

Post Thanks / Like

You will see a lot of fellow Garden Staters and folks from New England, as most of the country will already be back in school. We found it a great time to go with smaller crowds but quite hot and humid.

We would be a rope drop, stay at the park till about around 1 pm, then head out for nap and some pool time - every day regardless of what park we were heading back to in the evening.

Even our teenagers (at the time) felt it was the only way to do WDW.
    5/21 SSR & BCV
    11/19 Copper Creek Villas
    5/17 - Boardwalk Villas & Swan
    10/14 Legacy Villas
    10/11 & 12 Coronado Springs
    1981 - 2010 Offsite
    1974,76,78 Fort Wilderness
    8/87 - 05 Disneyland

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rjmdds View Post
    do you think doing two parks a day with an afternoon break would be best for the hot August days?
    I also vote YES! You'll be surprised how a midday break either back at your room or at the pool can really perk you up again. The summer heat can really start getting to folks when they are doing a lot of walking around - and usually not drinking enough water. People start getting cranky, worn out, and sometimes overheated. A midday break is PERFECT for resting, refueling, and making plans for the evening. It has always been the perfect remedy for us.

Enjoy!!
    Paging Mr. Morrow... Mr. Tom Morrow. Please contact Mr. Johnson in the control tower to confirm your flight to the moon.

BC: 9/12, 7/13, 1/14, 5/14, 9/14, 1/15, 9/15, 9/16
    GF: 9/16
    SSR: 9/13
    WL: 5/16
    BW: 9/11
    OKW: 7/10
    AK: 6/09
    BLT: 9/15
    CBR: 8/07
    ASMo 12/14
    Offsite: 8/88

Post Thanks / Like

We do that quite often too! Like to freshen up and relax a bit before heading back out
    Jodie

Post Thanks / Like

It isn't silly even to leave and return to the SAME park!

We've tried not returning a couple of times, and always end up regretting it. It is just so hot, a break back at the hotel gives you time to rest and cool off.

I do warn you though, it is VERY tempting to stay in the park and press on, so plan which attractions you'll do before leaving.

Another advantage is that QS meals at the resorts tend to be better than at the parks, so you can get a better meal while you swim or relax.
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

Regardless of whether you return to the same park or a different park, the afternoon break is an excellent idea. I've tried "pressing on" through humid days and you end up so worn down by dinner time it's not worth it. If not swimming or napping (for the kiddos) there's always a DTD side trip or a nice relaxing TS lunch indoors.
    CBR - February 1992
    CBR - April 1993
    AS Music - February 1994
    AS Movies - February 2000
    Contemporary/DCL - April/May 2001
    AS Movies - January 2003
    CBR/DCL - September 2005
    Pop Century - May 2007
    Art of Animation - May 2013
    AS Movies - September 2013
    Pop Century - April/May 2015

Post Thanks / Like

We even include a nap. The break of 3 hours or so allows us to stay up late, and the parks get cooler after dark.
    Boardwalk
    Animal Kingdom Jambo
    Coronado Springs
    POP
    POP
    POP
    POP
    Riverside

British Columbia, Canada (3408 miles from WDW!)
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree that you need a break of some sort. My boys are older now so they have been teens on our last few trips. They didn't do well at waking up early, but liked to close the parks down during EMH. We would sleep in, go to parks late morning and then take some form of break around dinner...air conditioned dinner, swim at pool, chill at resort, DTD, anything that would be a break.
    On our next trip I purchased the Water parks and more option since it is August. That was we can pop into a water park to cool off for 2-3 hrs, then head back out.
    ~Lynne~

On deck, you scabrous dogs! Man the braces! Let down and haul to run free. Now...bring me that horizon

DCL 2008 Mexico, 2011 Alaska, 2013 Caribbean
    WDW 2000, 2003, 2005, 2007, 2010, 2013, 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019
    Disneyland 2015, 2004,1993,1992, 1991,1973

Post Thanks / Like

This is the way we have usually done it in the past. Keep in mind, though, the new fastpass+ system currently allows only 3 fastpass+ reservations in any given day and all 3 must be in the same park. This might impact how you tour!!
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by faline View Post
    Keep in mind, though, the new fastpass+ system currently allows only 3 fastpass+ reservations in any given day and all 3 must be in the same park. This might impact how you tour!!
    I thought of that as well. It will take some careful planning for sure. I think the best use of it will be to use them for the afternoon park and not use them at all for the morning since touring is usually easier at rope drop. Just one more thing to consider. It's things like this that still make me amazed at how so many people go here without a plan. Boggles my mind.
    '74 Contemporary
    '76 Contemporary

'90 CBR
    '97 Off Site
    '00 Swan
    '05 GF
    '08 GF RPC
    '09 GF RPC-Short SURPRISE trip for kids
    '11 GF RPC

'12 Contemporary
    '14 GF RPC
    '15 DL VGC