Quantcast Gonna be a grandma. Need help!

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Gonna be a grandma. Need help!

Ok, so I just found out last Friday that I'm going to be a grandma. . The estimated due date is at the beginning of August. Our family trip is planned to start Sept 5. My son and his gf are going to be troopers and still go. (I'm not sure wild horses could keep my son away. lol)

So, any tips on going with a new baby? Any tips for a new mom? Any advice on how to survive grandparenthood ?

We are staying at the Wilderness Lodge. I want to make this as easy for them as possible.
    I'll meet you at the Rainbow Bridge.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! How exciting . As far as how to handle the trip? I would say just take it slow and enjoy.
    Been there, done that and going back!!! See ya real soon !!!

Post Thanks / Like

First of all congrats!

Second, while your son is all gung-ho, his girlfriend might not be so keen on the idea just ~4 weeks after delivery. A friend of mine had given birth 3 weeks earlier when her in-laws came to town and wanted to take everyone to Disney. She did not have an enjoyable visit to the parks that day.

I'd put this one in the hands of the mom-to-be and maybe consider delaying the trip (or at least the part that includes them). Some people bounce right back after pregnancy and some need a little more time and there's no way of knowing which one she's going to be until after the baby is born. By that she'll only have a very short window of time to decide if she feels fine to travel and spend time in the parks.

Post Thanks / Like

Congratulations! As mentioned the mother may tire easily or won't be up to it, the other concern is that with crowds there are germs and a new born could take months to build up his or her immune system. Ask her doctor and get a second opinion

Post Thanks / Like

A 3 week old baby in 90+ heat and high humidity would easily get dehydrated. Plus the germ rich environment that has been mentioned. Also, a super sweaty rear end leading to a crazy diaper rash if you aren't careful. The new mom isn't going to feel so great yet either. Sounds like the makings of a not so much fun trip to me.

Post Thanks / Like

I think I would try to convince everyone to postpone. For all of the reasons above plus the fact that most babies don't sleep through the night/have a regular schedule at that point. Also, I remember still being bloated and sore. Can't imagine a baby that young will be comfortable in the heat and sun (they can burn so easily) either.
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats!!!

As much as I love Disney you couldn't pay me enough to convince me to go to Disney just a month after giving birth. And don't count on the due date, she could go a week over, putting the birth and the trip even closer.

First of all I don't know many mothers, especially first time mothers that would enjoy a trip like Disney just weeks after giving birth. Most moms just want to be in a peaceful surrounding with their new baby. Not to mention should the mom need a c-section she may not be fully healed. With a new baby, and a new schedule, the mom may be too tired to enjoy the trip. Add heat and humidity, and Disney's ever growing crowds and it just doesn't sound like fun to me.

My other concern would be for the baby. That's a very hot, busy, germy my place for a newborn. At that age the baby wouldn't even have the first round of immunizations. I know a lot has changed since I had my babies, but I was told after having both of my babies to minimize social outings with the baby a much as possible until they started getting immunizations. The heat would be another major concern of mine.

Also keep in mind that you just don't know how the baby will be until it's born. What if the baby has colic, isn't a good sleeper, cries a lot. Those are things you just can't plan for. Same with the mother, she just won't know till after the baby is born if she will be up for such a trip.

I would hold off until the baby is at least a few months old, 6 months seems like a great age, but maybe that's just me.
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Next Trip: ???

Post Thanks / Like

Keep in mind as well if the baby has to be born via C-section it can sometimes take the mom quite a while to heal up and be comfy. It took me 4 weeks just to be able to walk up and down my stairs to go to the bathroom without any discomfort. I also wasn't approved to drive for the first 4 weeks, so I'm not sure about traveling, especially if there's extended time without moving. They worry about clots.

Lastly the pediatrician may not "approve" (I know it's up to the parents but it's nice to have the nod from the doc). When my first was born the pediatrician told us not to take the baby out in public places because of not having all his first round of shots. I know it was at least 4 weeks if not 8 weeks before they were ok with us taking our little one out and about all the time.

Worse comes to worse I would have the Mom to Be talk to her OBGYN about the upcoming vacation and see what they say and also talk to a pediatrician and see what they say. At least they would give them some information that they can make an educated decision about going on the vacation.

CONGRATS!
    Also cute and fluffy!!!!!
    Blue punch-buggy, no punch back!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cinderelley View Post
    Ok, so I just found out last Friday that I'm going to be a grandma. . The estimated due date is at the beginning of August. Our family trip is planned to start Sept 5. My son and his gf are going to be troopers and still go. (I'm not sure wild horses could keep my son away. lol)

So, any tips on going with a new baby? Any tips for a new mom? Any advice on how to survive grandparenthood ?

We are staying at the Wilderness Lodge. I want to make this as easy for them as possible.

Congrats! Is this your first?
    Like the previous posters, that is awfully soon after giving birth, but she may be up to it! I have 5 and my recovery time has varied from a few days to almost a month (c-section).
    We're traveling at the same time (leaving sept 6) and I am also expecting, but my little one will be 5 months at the time of travel
    If she is up to it some of my recommendations:
    A good, cool baby carrier like a woven wrap to keep baby close and away from other people & germs. I'd also take a personal stroller with a bassinet top - it should keep strangers further away & the baby can lay flat, plus it can be used as a changing table so baby doesn't have to touch the public ones! And plenty of hand sanitizer handy for the adults who are handling baby
    Lots of air conditioned breaks, less hours at the parks and a big bag full of everything baby could possibly need!
    Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

First off, congrats!

As others have said though, 4 weeks postpartum (or even less as many first time moms go into labor as much as a week after their due date) is not a good idea for a major theme park for Mom or Baby!

Even if Mom is feeling good at that point extensive walking may be very dangerous to her while she's still healing and baby's immune system is not yet up to be bombarded by the pathogens he or she will come in contact with in WDW. If she decides to breast feed she'll need to stop for feedings likely every 2 1/2 - 3 hours, and sleep will still be a far off memory.

I'd seriously consider pushing your trip back to 6 months postpartum. They'll have time to adjust to being new parents, to heal fully and for baby to grow just a bit. Everyone will likely enjoy the trip more.
    "One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation, right at the start of everything thats new, one little spark lights up for you!"

ºoº

Mom to our little Prince Everett and Princess Adelaide
    August 2020 Caribbean Beach!
    Not all treasure is silver and gold, mate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1DisneyNut View Post
    A 3 week old baby in 90+ heat and high humidity would easily get dehydrated. Plus the germ rich environment that has been mentioned. Also, a super sweaty rear end leading to a crazy diaper rash if you aren't careful. The new mom isn't going to feel so great yet either. Sounds like the makings of a not so much fun trip to me.
    This. Even if the baby arrives by the due date, it would not be a good idea for a newborn to have to deal with the heat, exposure to germs (especially true if you were planning to fly--planes are cesspools of germs), not to mention disruption in it's daily routine (which will just be beginning to be established at that point). As others have said, if it were me I would push back your plans for a few months.

Congratulations on becoming a grandma! What an exciting time for you!
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

Congratulations!

Childbirth is a very individual experience. I would be as flexable as possible. And I would remind my son to be the same.

Post Thanks / Like

If she does decide to go remember too that each park has a baby care station. Utilize them! They are perfect for a stop in some AC plus they have supplies there if you would need some, for a price of course.
    Also cute and fluffy!!!!!
    Blue punch-buggy, no punch back!

Post Thanks / Like

Congratulations! You are going to have so much fun! My first thought when I saw the date though is it is really toooo hot for a newborn!
    91 Co
    8 M
    00,1,2 S
    3 CB 25
    4 P,Mu,AKL
    5 S
    6 Pp,CB,G 30
    7 S/D,CB
    8 CB,G 30
    9 Mu,CBP/Or,P
    10 CBP,P
    11 Mu,Do/Ret,P
    12 Mu,CB,AA AK
    13 P 35
    14 P,CB,Mu
    15 P,FQ,C,M,S

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the input everyone. Sorry for the delay. It was crazy trying to get into Dallas for my new travel assignment with the weather they had.

The decision to keep the trip or postpone it was entirely left up to the mom to be. She is excited to go.

Disneysoccermom, thanks for the specifics. It also gives me some ideas for baby shower presents.

We live in Phoenix, so we're pretty used to heat. I don't plan on making it a gung ho trip. We'll just leisurely go for an hour or two and then head back to the room. Everyone else can go do as they please. I really think everyone is just excited to be able to go together as a family again.

Yes, this is my first. I've had time to get over the shock and start getting excited.

Post Thanks / Like

As far as shower gift ideas... Not sure if she has decided on nursing/ bottle feeding but if she is considering nursing, I would suggest a nursing wrap. Makes the whole nursing around strangers situation a little more comfortable (even in the baby station.)
    -Laura
    Engineer by Day... Imagineer in my Dreams!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sorry but you really should not be taking a most likely three week old (as most first tome moms go about a week late) on a cross country flight. At that age they have not had their vaccinations and placing them in an enclosed area with a ton of strangers is asking for trouble. Not to even mention that if she ends up with c-section her doctor I doubt will even let her go.
    Many trips as a child offsite
    1995 Disney Cruise/Old key west
    New Years 2001 Caribbean Beach Resort
    March 2006 Offsite
    Sept 2010 Coronado Springs Resort
    November 2013 POR
    Sept/oct 2014 cars room at AOA
    Next trip: too long!

Post Thanks / Like

I can understand where the "mom-to-be" right now will be saying "sure, lets go"... to her, she does not know how big a change her life is about to take. As the grandma-to-be, I would encourage her to perhaps change the trip to a different time.

You are probably the best one to tell her about how sleep deprived if nothing else she will be. Doing WDW on little sleep is not the best even when you are an adult with no kids LOL!

Others have already spoken on taking a newborn out and all the reasons it is a not a wise thing, so I am not going to rehash it in this response, but I do agree with all of them.

The best shower gift you could give is postponing this trip.
    Ali's Mom
    Senior Imagineer

Post Thanks / Like

To help relieve some fears. I doubt if we will be flying. The thought of a crying baby on a plane isn't pleasant for anyone.

She will be talking to her doctor. We have a long time to go before we are doing anything definite.

I guess I am just different. I was out running around and doing stuff the week after my kids were born. I did have all three of them naturally. I'm sure epidurals, drugs, etc make a difference.

Post Thanks / Like

When we took my nephew Justin he was only 7 weeks old. My sister was still sore, because she went natural and didn't have time for drugs among other things.
    This too was in the beginning of Sept. It was really hot but the little one was, for the most part, OK. He got hot and sweaty. That hasn't changed much and he's 6.5 now!
    Her pediatrician said that she could use sun screen on him, just to make sure to wash it off him every night.
    She was nursing so she had to make sure to stay hydrated so that she could nurse him. And the baby stations are very handy!
    And there were times when I would ask a CM if she could wait in a shady area and then just cut into line when we got to the front. Obviously this won't work in every queue.
    Every mom and baby is different. At least if you are driving, that will make a big difference. And it mom & baby don't want to they can hang around wherever you are staying and rest and relax.
    ºoºKathyºoº TimeShare 12-12
    GKTW June 2011,Off site Feb/March 2011
    Dolphin and POFQ 8/10
    POFQ Sept 08
    ASMu Aug-Sept 07
    Dolphin & CS-12/05. Mousefest & Dis Cruise
    Dolphin & POR July 04,WDW-Dolphin June 02Dolphin 6/2000
    Swan 6/99 -Dolphin March 98, March 94
    +many more times offsite

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: