Quantcast Walt Disney World "Must-Dos!"

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Talking Walt Disney World "Must-Dos!"

I thought I'd start a fun topic. Each trip, there are things we try and things we "MUST DO." Here are a few of ours. Tell us yours.

• The night before we depart, we go to dinner at Joe's Crab Shack and discuss (excitedly) the upcoming trip.
    • We stay at a hotel near the airport the night before departure. This gets our vacation started a day early. (Someone on InterCOT suggested that tip and we love it and want to thank the poster for that great idea.)
    • We go to the Hoop Dee Doo Review EVERY TRIP!
    • We fly in early, check in, freshen up, then head over to Animal Kingdom for lunch at the RainForest Cafe. Each trip starts there.
    • Our first full day on property is always at the Magic Kingdom! (I always video tape the morning walk from our room to the bus stop. It's a tradition.)
    • We always have a lunch at the 50s Prime Time Cafe.
    • If we're vacationing at WDW during Halloween season, we ALWAYS go to MNSSHP.
    • We always have a breakfast at Chef Mickey's, then hop on the monorail to Epcot that day.

I'm sure there are more "Must-dos," but here are a few of ours. What are yours?
    Last edited by MrPeetrie; 10-23-2013 at 10:04 AM. Reason: typo
    WDW - 99 Off Site
    WDW - 00 C.Springs, Wilderness
    WDW - 01 POFQ, Boardwalk
    WDW - 02 C.Beach, POFQ, AK Lodge
    WDW - 04 Riverside
    WDW - 05 C.Springs
    WDW - 07 Riverside
    WDW - 11 C.Beach
    WDW - 12 POFQ
    WDW - 14 Riverside
    WDW - 15 POFQ
    WDW - 19 Wilderness
    WDW - 20 C.Beach

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Great idea! I can't wait to see everyones list...maybe I will get some new "Must Do' ideas! Our "MUST DO" list....

• We always go to Magic Kingdom first...we have to see the castle to realize we are back at Disney!
    • I have to watch MK fireworks and see Tinkerbell fly! I truly HAVE TO!
    • Take afternoon breaks...sit by the pool relax and have a Lava Colada!
    • We always have one meal at Chef Mickey's. It is a great opportunity to spend time with the characters and not feel rushed.
    • I have to have an egg roll...really not sure why, but it is a memory and I insist on it. haha

Next Trip - November 2016 - All Star Sports
    March 2009 - All Star Movies
    Nov. 07 - All Star Sports
    March 2006 - All Star Movies
    March 2002 - Port Orleans Riverside
    April 2000
    June 1994
    September 1988
    April 1984
    May 1978
    1974 Contemporary

Post Thanks / Like

Great thread!

I have to:

1. Go to Magic Kingdom first on the first day (for nostalgia's sake), and I invariably head straight to the Haunted Mansion, which was my favorite ride as a kid.

2. Stay on a Disney property to be immersed in the magic. The vacation truly begins when I board the Magical Express, and I always watch the video on the bus.

3. Catch the Magic Kingdom fireworks at least once during the trip.

4. Stay in Magic Kingdom 'til it closes and watch the Cinderella Castle "good night kiss."

5. Visit the "Singin' in the Rain" photo op spot and have my picture taken there in Disney Hollywood Studios.

6. Ride the monorail, even though I'm not staying in a Disney property that's on it.
    EJ in Houston

3-16 -- Port Orleans Riverside
    11-12 -- Pop Century
    11-11 -- Animal Kingdom Lodge
    11-09 -- All-Star Sports
    11-07 -- All-Star Sports
    11-05 -- All-Star Sports
    09-95 -- Off Property
    3 prior visits as a child beginning in '72 -- Polynesian/Contemporary Resorts

Post Thanks / Like

Our number 1 must do is head to the Magic Kingdom 1st I guess we've been doing that since my 1st visit when there was only the MK Our new must do is Dole Whip very addicting stuff!
    -- .. -.-. -.- . --.- -- --- ..-- ... .

83' off property
    00' OKW
    06' 09' AS Sport
    13' Contemporary
    15' POP
    18' POP

The most interesting information comes from children, for they tell all they know and then stop... Mark Twain

Post Thanks / Like

- I always have to pose with the ball player statues outside Casey's.
    - Always do the safari first in AK
    - Always get the same type of Christmas ornament with the year on it

Can't really think of any others. This January will be my DD second visits, so I guess this will give us the chance to create new "must-do's".
    October 1982 Days Lodge
    February 1992 Holiday Inn
    October 2001 Clarion Maingate
    April 2003 Wilderness Lodge
    March 2006 Caribe Royale Resort
    September 2006 Pop Century
    January 2012 Windsor Hills
    January 2014 Santa Cruz (Off-site) Marathon Weekend / Marathon Participant!

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Great thread!!

I have been 'home' many times before DD was born and some of the must do's are pre-DD but most are post-DD. Lol
    1. MUST take picture of me and DD in front of the castle. Our first one in 2003, she was 5 weeks old and we have one each visit after...its great to compare them and watch her grow up at MK!!
    2. MUST ride Carrousel of Progress....this has become DD's MUST DO too.... I love that! We sing the song all the time, and with only 3 days to go...we are singing it alot!
    3. MUST have a turkey leg after riding the HTT and RRC! We all pick at it and talk about the rides.
    4. MUST get a margarita in Mexico. MUST MUST MUST...I remember when they were under 5 bucks...still worth every penny!
    5. MUST monorail around the lagoon and stop at Poly, GF and Contemporary. At the GF, The Basin is a must to wash our hands with the salt scrubs. Even DH gets in on this one. Also, walking down the grand staircase imagining the girls are brides...everytime, lol.
    6. MUST ride SE...cannot leave the property without riding this.
    There are so many things that keep us coming back these are very important to us.
    I do love the idea of staying in a hotel before the trip...but ours is only 15 mins away so I don't think I can pull that one off!
    Kathy
    [COLOR=DarkRed]

'72, '88, '91, '92, '93, '94, '95, '96, '97, '99, '00, '01, 3/03, 10/03, 1/05, 4/05, 1/06, 10/06, 1/07, 5/07, 12/07, 10/08, 5/09, 11/09, 1/10, 10/10, 12/10, 10/11, 07/12, 11/12, 10/13, 4/14, DCL6/14, 10/14, 1/15, 5/15, WL8/15 & 11/15! Finally Moved to FLORIDA 2/16!! :D

Post Thanks / Like

Must Do's for Every trip!

1) Get a rice krispie brick (with chocolate on top)

2) Photo in front of castle

3) Dole Whip (thanks Intercot Family for turning me on to those)

4) Ride the Monorail

5) Carosel of Progress, Splash Mountain, and Spaceship Earth.

6) On the last park day, stand at the exit looking back and "burning" the image in my mind until next time (either Epcot or MK)

I don't always make it to the Studios or AK every trip as sometimes I only have 2 or 3 days. But, when I'm at Studios, Muppets are a must do, and at AK, ITTBAB is my must do.

Post Thanks / Like

1. Stay on property - I've done both and don't understand why folks stay off property. No brainer.
    2. So this is a different one. Our older kids take pictures with non-character cast members. They are some of the best pictures. The cast members are tickled and love being silly with the kids. Sometimes they will pose in action shots, make faces, dance, etc. Try it!!!
    3. Shop at the Emporium. We may not buy anything, but we have to walk around.
    4. Get a shaved ice in Japan.
    5. Ride the people mover to rest my feet.

Sept. 2019 Disney Dream
    Feb. 2016 Port Orleans French Quarter
    Nov. 2013 Coronado Springs Resort
    Nov. 2011 Port Orleans French Quarter
    Nov. 2008 All Star Movies
    Nov. 2007 Port Orleans French Quarter
    Nov. 2004 Port Orleans Riverside
    May. 1999 Off Site
    Sept. 1997 Off Site

Post Thanks / Like

• Get take out the night before we leave
    • Our vacation begins once my family boards the Orlando International Airport monorail to the other terminal
    • If we arrive in time for lunch at our hotel, All Star Music, me and my sister always get the spaghetti and meatballs there (we love it!!)
    • On our first full day we visit the Magic Kingdom always and the image of the castle is a great way to start it
    • Regardless of what dining plan we have, we always make it a priority to have a nice family sit-down meal at a fancy restaurant on property. Our new favorite is The Turf Club Bar and Grill at Saratoga Springs and will definitely return.
    • Mushy peas and now banger and mash at Rose and Crown in the UK Pavilion (we love that place)
    • Going to Club Cool and drinking watermelon soda

I love this idea for a thread btw
    "I want to be apart of your world."

All Star Music 2000-present & future

Post Thanks / Like

We always visit a few monorail resorts just to grab coffee and take in the atmosphere. Tower of Terror, Kilimanjaro Safari, Haunted Mansion and POTC are must dos. And Wishes and IllumiNations are always the trip highlights.
    "Good evening ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls. In just five minutes...."

Post Thanks / Like

Must eat at Coral Reef

Must ride spaceship earth, great movie ride, small world, Carousel of progress

must get a picture of DH almost dropping ds into a fountain. Should be interesting since ds is getting bigger than dh

must get picture with Mickey

Great thread.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Must Do's

Every trip we always have a character breakfast at the Crystal Palace in MK.
    * 2003 - Beach Club
    * 2004 - Downtown Disney
    * 2004 - ASS
    * 2005 - ASS
    * 2006 - Disneyland
    * 2008 - CSR
    * 2009 - CSR
    * 2010 - Beach Club
    * 2012 - CSR - (2)
    * 2013 - POP
    * 2013 - ASM
    * 2014 - Pop (2)
    * 2015 - CSR
    * 2017 - POP
    * 2019 - POP
    * 2020 - POP
    * 2021 - POP

Post Thanks / Like

1. Coming from Michigan if we drive we stop in Valdosta, relax, have breakfast at Waffle house then drive to resort. Get tickets, drop luggage, walk over to Polynesian and get on the monorail to MK.
    2. Mickey ice cream bar.
    3. Watch fireworks at MK from back of park, slowly make our way forward as park empties out.
    4. Swim in Mickey pool.
    5. Eat at Cosmic Ray's
    6. DHS ride ToT, RnR,ST, Muppets
    7. AK Safari, watch Lion King and Nemo, walk through Asia.
    8. Just sit on patio looking out from room and feeling glad that for at least the next few days I AM HOME.
    WORK TO PAY FOR DISNEY
    2020 June SOG
    2017 MNSSHP POP
    2014 August Shades of Green
    2012 August POP
    2008 September POP
    2007 April Shades of Green
    2004 April Shades of Green
    2001 March Shades of Green
    1998 December Shades of Green
    1995 March off site

Post Thanks / Like

love this thread, love all your "musts".

My Musts:

1. take a photo of (or with) The Castle, Hat, Tree of Life, Epcot Ball.

2. Say, "Should I volunteer? I'm gonna." every time I see Indiana Jones @ DHS, then proceed to tell the story about how me and my cousin got picked to be extras one year.

3. Grey Goose slush in France

4. If I get to DTD w/ my sister, take a picture w/ Tweedle Dee & Tweedle Dum to replicate a pic taken when we were kids.

5. AK = Rope Drop, Safari, Everest, Dinosaur. No deviation from this plan ever.

6. DHS - visit the Studio Catering Bar

7. TOT more than once in a row.

8. NOT watch the China video and talk about how my dad used to make us see it, sometimes twice in a row if the line was short.

9. Fish n Chips in the UK

10. Ride the monorail, even if for no good reason. (Glad to read that I'm not the only one!)

11. Try at least 1 new restaurant for Table Service
    Kristen

last attraction: Art Academy in DHS
    last meal: Parisian Breakfast - Chefs de France

'94 - Poly & CBR: first trip
    '96 - GF & Dixie Landings
    '98 - POR
    '07 - CSR
    '12 - POR
    '13 - CSR: HONEYMOON
    '13 - POP
    '13 - CBR

'14 - POR
    '14 - Swan

Post Thanks / Like

There's a *great* thread similar to this down in the "Games and Trivia" forums called "More 'Have You Ever...?'".

Former WDW Magic Kingdom Cast Member (2001-2010): Main Street Parades/WDWRR Engineer/Conductor; Frontierland Attractions; Tomorrowland Attractions

Last: Sep '14 (Coronado Springs)
    Next:Oct 2015: MNSSHP

Have you ever dreamed the dreams of the children...?

Post Thanks / Like

1st Day must dos-Go to Downtown Disney-buy ornament at the Christmas store, go to World of Disney and eat at Wolfgang Puck Express-we may actually shake things up this year and try Earl of Sandwich

Must ride-Haunted Mansion, Pirates of Carribean, Soarin and the Safari-these are the attractions that would bum me out if they weren't operational during my trip

Must see show/fireworks-Festival of the Lion King, Illuminations, Wishes and Electrical Parade, Mickey's Philharmagic

Must eat at-Ohana's and Starring Rolls, chocolate covered caramel pecan patty from the candy store on Main St.

Must stay on site

Must resort hop

Normally last full day is a Magic Kingdom day

Check out Day-Must eat TS breakfast at a resort or park and then go to either Epcot or Magic Kingdom a few hours before leaving.

Dec.11-18, 2021 Port Orleans Riverside
    Jan. 25-Feb. 1, 2017, Port Orleans Riverside
    Oct. 29-Nov.4, 2014-Yacht Club
    Dec. 17-23 2011-Wilderness Lodge
    Dec. 20-30, 2008-Pop Century
    Dec. 25,2005-Jan.1, 2006-Coronado Springs
    Jan. 1-7, 2003-All Star Movies

Post Thanks / Like

The "Must Do's".....

If driving, always stop at a Cracker Barrel, look out for that 1st 'South of the Border" billboard, and snap a photo as we hit the main entrance

First park is ALWAYS MK

At some point....turkey leg

OHana's for dinner

Speedway-DS' still like it and was first ride I ever remember going on as a wee one

Other must do rides - Soarin', Splash, TofT, BTMRR, EE, Safari

Speedboats

And how about some "retired" Must Do's....

Turtle Talk - such a unique and funny experience when the DS' were younger

Waterparks - pools at the resorts serve the purpose for us now

Character autogtraphs - ok, the DS' enjoyed it when younger and some great photos taken but ugggh, never a big fan

Riding up front in the monorail - sad, unfortunate end to some cool views of the original resort loop

Wishes for DW
    March 99 - POFQ
    Feb 04 - WL
    Feb 05 - POLY
    Nov 05 - CB
    Oct 06 - POLY
    Nov 07 - POLY/BC
    Nov 08 - BC
    Mar 10 - WL
    Nov 10 - POR-Riverside
    Apr 12 - POR-Riverside
    Mar 13 - POR
    Jan 14 - WL
    Nov 14 - POR-Riverside
    Mar 16 - POLY
    Aug 17 - POLY
    Aug 18 - BC

Post Thanks / Like

Upon arrival at the WL (usually mid to late afternoon) take the launch to the Contemporary and check out the Christmas decorations. Hop on the monorail and tour the decorations at the Poly and GF, then dinner at the Contemporary.

Stroll the grounds at WL at daybreak with a cup of coffee (I'm the only member of my family that is a very early riser however). Hopefully there is fog bank moving in over the lake.

Enjoy a bottle of wine beneath the Christmas Tree at the Lodge....especially if there is some scheduled entertainment like a local chorus or bell ringers ect.

First park.....MK!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: